1.6 Cartel Market has gone a little too far...

JediMasterSarynn

I actually ran around the game with my maxed out cybertech looking for the schematics for all the pieces.

Welp, there goes the money train.

This game only went so-called F2P weeks ago (almost a month) and we're already seeing it's more like P2W.

P2W what? Didn't know looking red or sitting on a festive mount was "winning"? Didn't realize that making it a bit easier for yourself in a singleplayer minigame without any form of ranking or multiplayer activity was "winning"?

So what exactly are we winning here? A miss holiday contest? An internal struggle against our MPD counterparts?

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the coins to buy it, courtesy of my subscription, without having to actually buy coins...thank you. That said... IMO it's the ugliest speeder I have seen so far.... so I'll continue to collect my coins for now until I see something I really want.

Do you only have 1 L50? :confused:

I think it's rather obvious that Bioware isn't in the MMO market for "long term gains"...there's no chance this game cost the estimated 150 million either - it was a quick and easy MMO meant to serve as a store front, which it now does.

I doubt it was a quick and easy MMO. And wasnt it supposedly $200-300mill? Why do all the cutscenes and voice acting if you're not into it for the long term? That said, yes since EA considers SW:TOR to be a disappointment as they stated in their July investors call, they have not been looking at the long term.

Since then it has become a short term, try to a break even maybe a little profit MMO. This is obvious from their quick change to F2P. They went from, "Subscription MMOs are better, as F2P cannot push out as much content." To, "We're proud to announce the F2P option!" With the subtext of: "Lets grab all the cash we can before this ship sinks and we shut it down! ... And probably dissolve BioWare like we have with many other companies."

I doubt it was a quick and easy MMO. And wasnt it supposedly $200-300mill? Why do all the cutscenes and voice acting if you're not into it for the long term? That said, yes since EA considers SW:TOR to be a disappointment as they stated in their July investors call, they have not been looking at the long term.

Oh come on lol. You honestly think this game reflects a $200-300 million dollar investment?! Not a chance!!!! Not even $100mil with all the voice overs. SWTOR is scripted, completely linear and lacks any creativity at all. I enjoy it, but I can admit that it's quite lame.

What's really messed up is that I would gladly spend my money on the Cartel Market. Like... I was really looking forward to it. I don't mind spending an additional $40 or even $80 per month if they have cool stuff on there. But cheesy holiday items and lottery tickets (packs) aren't what I had in mind.

I want to buy more sets of armor. More crystal color combos. More cool gear. The fact that they aren't producing and listing these items directly on the market is going to KILL (<-- CAPS) this game.

As of yet we do not have any hard numbers, however going by the amount of cartel market items on the GTN, and some of the spendings of fellow guildies, I have a feeling there's quite some lucrative income made by EA through the cartel market over the past month.

Items which you as an individual may not always agree to, however EA is in some sense doing what any MMO company truly ought to do. Let people decide the direction of this game by their wallets.

Thing is, this way if BioWare does something you do not agree on, simply do not purchase it! This way they'll quickly see that that doesn't yield them a good income, and as a result, future content will no longer be on those lines. But rather alternative additions will be seen. This is to an extent also the reason as to why losing your sub in case you do not use two or more of the following kind warzones/flashpoints/operations/space missions, on a weekly basis, isn't a bad idea. That way you gain more power by voting with your wallet. As a subscriber, you essentially give up that right, with exception for the extra's.

Expect a lot more of this sort of practising around with the cartel market, on both live as well as GTN. In similar fashion as LOTRO recently seeing if the community was willing to spend 50$ on a wooden toy horse. If the community pays the money, they'll do those sort of things, it's that simple.

P2W what? Didn't know looking red or sitting on a festive mount was "winning"? Didn't realize that making it a bit easier for yourself in a singleplayer minigame without any form of ranking or multiplayer activity was "winning"?

So what exactly are we winning here? A miss holiday contest? An internal struggle against our MPD counterparts?

Did or did not the OP mention many things? And it's P2W for the packs to do the new space missions with. Try to keep up.

The space items are very much pay to win. I know some people want to argue and support bioware, but anytime you buy something and it gives you a distinct advantage over the player who chose not to pay, it's pay to win.

There are a ton of new daily space missions. To be able to do them by the in game tooltip requirements you must have grade 7 gear or higher. The only way to really at all get this grade of gear is to buy it. So you spend your real world money and now you have access to a whole new set of dailies.

The only argument people can make that it's not pay to win is that after several months of dedicated effort, diligently collecting various tokens, finding/buying the correct crafting materials, you can have the same result as the paying player. However even that's not really true, because they'll be so far behind by the time they do all of that, that there becomes a clear advantage to buying the items from the cash shop now. That is, millions of credits for your real world dollar.

However.

As of yet I am unable to even complete one of the new daily space missions, which I actually did spend the money to 'pay' and 'win'. I feel more like I just paid to lose.

Did or did not the OP mention many things? And it's P2W for the packs to do the new space missions with. Try to keep up.

Once more, especially for you I suppose..... as you didn't answer anything.

Didn't realize that making it a bit easier for yourself in a singleplayer minigame without any form of ranking or multiplayer activity was "winning"?

Oh come on lol. You honestly think this game reflects a $200-300 million dollar investment?! Not a chance!!!! Not even $100mil with all the voice overs. SWTOR is scripted, completely linear and lacks any creativity at all. I enjoy it, but I can admit that it's quite lame.

When Bioware disavowed the 200 million price tag, I didn't believe them. But as each day passes, I think they were right. Nobody would have put forth this poor showing with 200 mil to work with. lol

Reflect =/= spent. We know how incompetent they are. Hell this game doesnt reflect a $13 million budget. :p

Didn't realize that making it a bit easier for yourself in a singleplayer minigame without any form of ranking or multiplayer activity was "winning"?

Pay... to... win...

Where did it say pay to win against someone else? It's paying to win a part of the game. It's not limited to multiplayer. Unless you want to add more to the term.

Anytime this game has a chance to turn things around it epically fails. The Cartell market and free to play "Could" have breathed more life into this game. Instead they are just money grabs by the corporate masters at EA. Hope this game dies soon and a real Star Wars MMO can be made.

The space missions don't give you much of an advantage over anyone else in this game. The rewards, as I understand them, are some paltry daily comms, some space comms, and like 2 black hole comms a week. Space comms are useless unless you want a space suit. Black hole gear is a tier behind and 2 black hole comms? Really? And that leaves daily comms. There are currently 4 entire zones dedicated to farming dailies--requiring a couple hours a day that most people don't do, at least in their entirety.

So no I don't believe the space missions are P2W as there is no real advantage given.

The space items are very much pay to win. I know some people want to argue and support bioware, but anytime you buy something and it gives you a distinct advantage over the player who chose not to pay, it's pay to win.

There are a ton of new daily space missions. To be able to do them by the in game tooltip requirements you must have grade 7 gear or higher. The only way to really at all get this grade of gear is to buy it. So you spend your real world money and now you have access to a whole new set of dailies.

The only argument people can make that it's not pay to win is that after several months of dedicated effort, diligently collecting various tokens, finding/buying the correct crafting materials, you can have the same result as the paying player. However even that's not really true, because they'll be so far behind by the time they do all of that, that there becomes a clear advantage to buying the items from the cash shop now. That is, millions of credits for your real world dollar.

A clear advantage to what exactly? The heroic space missions are insanely hard, there's no form of multiplayer interactions, no ladders, no best of server, nothing. So once more, in what sense are you winning?

Even in terms of quest rewards they pale in comparissons to regular daily missions, crafting, etc. So it's also not as if you're winning in terms of suddenly making a major profit.

Just a bunch of people crying p2w without there actually being any form of winning involved if you ask me.

Anytime this game has a chance to turn things around it epically fails. The Cartell market and free to play "Could" have breathed more life into this game. Instead they are just money grabs by the corporate masters at EA. Hope this game dies soon and a real Star Wars MMO can be made.

I think most people feel this way. Except for those that will defend everything about this game. For most however, and the other 1 million+ that left through out the year, I think we all agree on that.

Didn't realize that making it a bit easier for yourself in a singleplayer minigame without any form of ranking or multiplayer activity was [p2]"winning"?

And now you do, I try to learn something new everyday myself too. :)

I agree with everything OP said except about the Blade Runner pack. I think those packs are meant to be random, and a gamble. In my opinion, that is fine on the cartel market.

I agree with the rest though, like Life Day gear. They just threw these items on the market and said, "Oh hey, I guess this means it's Life Day now!", instead of doing something that could actually bring players together. Freakin' dummies.

And then there's the spaceship parts. In my opinion, they completely took away so much power from crafters with the release of the cartel market, and this is coming from an armsmech! So many crafters are useless now thanks to the cartel market.

Either approach the cartel market from a different angle during design, or create different crafting skills that won't be interrupted by a f2p market that should never be involved with this kind of thing.