So, er, is everyone Sith?

Deimias

Is this true on all servers?

Pretty much. Pub was heavy when game started, but shifted way imp within a few months. Still imp heavy, at least on all 4 servers I've played on. On POT5 imps PVP against imps more than they do pubs.

I have 4 or 5 toons on each faction, all but 1 on POT5 now, and rotate amongst them pretty equally.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General Garza isnt directly "corrupted" she's just "doing her job" pragmatically

(in French we say "you dont make an omelette without breaking some eggs")

As for the other event you mentioned, you can see it as a mistake, or something done to preserve a bigger good.

But in 99% of the time the Republic is there to defend freedom, and protect its subjects from slavery and death.

You can always find black sheeps in it, but it isnt the goal of the institution.

On the contrary, the Empire lives as a totalitarian state and torture, mass murdering and slavery are not only tolerated, but encouraged.

The Republic is the standard IRL western country, with a heavy (thus slow) bureaucracy. Aiming for the good but having difficulties to reach it from time to time. The Empire is your standard IIIrd Reich à la Hitler, with all its elements, nothing is missing...

As for seeing the Empire as "virtuous", why not. After all some think that the SS were virtuous too during WW2, and still wet their pants when they see a svastica.

Edited by Draksen

It's always interesting how the system in one faction being imperfect somehow negates the fact that the other faction is completely axe crazy

Have you played as a LS Empire Character?

When I went through as a DS agent I pretty much expected everything that happened. You are right in that if you play DS Empire everything is "axe crazy". It become very surprising as a LS Empire character to see things that you didn't see playing DS. Some of the NPCs are actually very noble. Again, as I stated above LS Empire is a story of redemption.

Now when I play Republic LS or DS, I am just disgusted with how corrupt they are as they slide deeper and deeper into decay. At this point in the stories as represented, I just want to Empire to whipe the republic out of existance and have the next phase be an Imperial Civil war to take down the sith. :cool:

Edited by Urael

Have you played as a LS Empire Character?

When I went through as a DS agent I pretty much expected everything that happened. You are right in that if you play DS Empire everything is "axe crazy". It become very surprising as a LS Empire character to see things that you didn't see playing DS. Some of the NPCs are actually very noble. Again, as I stated above LS Empire is a story of redemption.

Now when I play Republic LS or DS, I am just disgusted with how corrupt they as they slide deeper and deeper into decay. At this point in the stories as represented, I just want to Empire to whipe the republic out of existance and have the next phase be an Imperial Civil war to take down the sith. :cool:

Well, the Empire has been "Klingon-ized" to satisfy the cool kids.

Just like how the original Klingons were evil nazi-stand ins who morphed into evil-commie stand ins, and then once they became popular with the cool kids for being "edgy", they were morphed into just a misunderstood bunch of noble warriors.

I only have 1 republic character now and I never play him anymore. Only kept him because he's level 50. I like the setting, the stories and especially the gear from the dark side a lot more. I found both jedi stories to be boring and uninteresting compared to the sith stories.

I think it's important to understand that in the Republic evil is the exception, not the rule, whereas in the Empire evil is the rule, not the exception, the Nazis had a few noble souls, but that does very little to help with all the conquering and genocides

Well, the Empire has been "Klingon-ized" to satisfy the cool kids.

Just like how the original Klingons were evil nazi-stand ins who morphed into evil-commie stand ins, and then once they became popular with the cool kids for being "edgy", they were morphed into just a misunderstood bunch of noble warriors.

This was the exact point I was trying to make when I pointed out George Lucas' original intent.

The Sith nor its empire were ever noble. Ever. But to appeal to a wider audience for this game and to make sure both factions had healthy populations, BioWare sanitized it. You see the same thing in every MMO with a "good" faction and an "evil" faction.

The side that's historically been bad suddenly becomes "misunderstood."

This was the exact point I was trying to make when I pointed out George Lucas' original intent.

The Sith nor its empire were ever noble. Ever. But to appeal to a wider audience for this game and to make sure both factions had healthy populations, BioWare sanitized it. You see the same thing in every MMO with a "good" faction and an "evil" faction.

What's sanitized about this Empire?

Taris, Balmorra, Ilum, Hoth, Belsavis, Tatooine and Voss have the Empire doing pretty evil things.

*EDIT

If you guys are trying to say everyone on the Empire should be evil sadists, that's a completely unreasonable view that doesn't exit for the original trilogy either.

Edited by Vandicus

Well the Empire did have some noble people, Captain Needa for example taking full responsibility even if it meant death is an example in the movies, but the fact that he was punished by death is also an example of how screwed up the system in the Empire actually is, and it's like that in TOR as well. Some people in the Empire might be good honest people, but the system is so completely amoral that it cannot be justified by anyone believing in a society based on freedom and justice, if you are a social Darwinist or something then maybe yes you can argue in favor of the Empire, but then again social Darwinism does have the reputation to be a bit evil

Well the Empire did have some noble people, Captain Needa for example taking full responsibility even if it meant death is an example in the movies, but the fact that he was punished by death is also an example of how screwed up the system in the Empire actually is, and it's like that in TOR as well. Some people in the Empire might be good honest people, but the system is so completely amoral that it cannot be justified by anyone believing in a society based on freedom and justice, if you are a social Darwinist or something then maybe yes you can argue in favor of the Empire, but then again social Darwinism does have the reputation to be a bit evil

I have to disagree. A better way to think about it, is the Holy Roman Empire rising out of the ashes of the corruption of Imperial Rome. That is how I see it from a LS Empire point of view. I "like" my LS Empire characters. I "loathe" my DS Empire characters. I am "disgusted" with hypocracy and corruption of my Republic Characters. :cool:

Edited by Urael

I have to disagree. A better way to think about it, is the Holy Roman Empire rising out of the ashes of the corruption of Imperial Rome. That is how I see it from a LS Empire point of view. I "like" my LS Empire characters. I "loathe" my DS Empire characters. I am "disgusted" with hypocracy and corruption of my Republic Characters. :cool:

The Holy Roman Empire was no better than the Roman Empire, no personal freedom, no equal justice, no regard for peace, attacking Poland for lebensraum because their nobility needs the land for something something

Besides, those were real historical empires, the ones in Star Wars are different in that they're completely bonkers, it's the USSR or the Third Reich up to eleven

Well you got the likes of darth jadus, darth marr and darth maglus they are clearly dark side but wish to allow aliens to join the empire. Since looking at the story many alien factions want to join it.

I mean in the agent story almost every sith or some imperial called me "creature" but not jadus not him he always called me agent.

Well you got the likes of darth jadus, darth marr and darth maglus they are clearly dark side but wish to allow aliens to join the empire. Since looking at the story many alien factions want to join it.

I mean in the agent story almost every sith or some imperial called me "creature" but not jadus not him he always called me agent.

And why do they want aliens in the Empire? Because then they have more soldiers to send to war!

I play on both sides. Same role, same class same powers, even the same spec and load out and I have to say the Imperial guy is my main and my favorite. Powers seem cooler, Animations are awesome however the most important aspect. The story and actions. I made a sith to go completely dark side with and the decisions Same to go perfectly for a dark side character. The Jedi's light side to me makes almost no sense. Almost like play with a priest that can fight. If I wanted to go dark side gets really hypocritical since besides the killing of some enemies I will get points out of a lie to have somebody feel better or other stupid reasons which don't seem entirely bad. Most important is that the sith matches my personality better.

I played Republic since launch and made my first serious Empire character the same day F2P launched. Overall I really am enjoying Empire side more. I think the game overall as a package is just better done Imp side.

Another thing I really liked, is the fact that with the accents, uniforms, appearances...it had that good original trilogy Empire vibe to it. On the other hand, the Republic being nothing like the Rebellion, has no original trilogy vibe to it at all and it just feels all clone wars like which I am not as big of a fan of.

It's been my observation that there are more Sith for one primary reason. It has nothing to do with class story, or even the background of the Star Wars universe. It's has to do with the bulk of the player base I have encountered being no different than the Horde side in WoW. Younger players, who equate 'evil' with 'cool' and 'more powerful'. They see Empire, and they see Darth Maul, in red and black, using a cool double-bladed lightsaber, kicking the tar out of two 'wimpy' Jedi. And that is what they want to play.

They read the forums and for the longest time Sith Inquisitor was THE class to play for power, so that is what direction they go. Sad as it is to say, the Empire isn't the Dark Side. It's the Troll Side, where players can play however they want, be as trollish as they want, and get rewarded for wanting to be more powerful.

Lucas' original intention of the sides aside, the 'sanitizing' of the Empire aside (which I completely agree with), that is the reason there are more Sith. The Republic, even if you play Dark Side, are seen as the "wimpy, noob option."

Again, that is just my observation.

Add the jedi robe from the jedi creation screen to the game and more people will play republic.

currently reps have ugly gear .

Lol have you even tryed look arround a bit? just a bit? ill give you a hint try GTN, or the legacy vendor for the jedi knight.

True to be told there are tons of robes/ gear similar to it as well.

i play both sides, while the story lines are a bit more interesting in imperial side overall, i prefer much more the architecture of the republic side, on fleet, and several other places.

sith inquisitor story is overrated imo, sith warrior or agent however are actualy very interesting.

While i found a patern on republic stories about doomsday weapons that gets boring after awhile. But overall, the stories arent that much worse then the ones on imperial side. One thing though about the rep gear, there is nice stuff out there if one actualy looks for it imho.

Edited by Spartanik