how to heal dungeons while leveling?

peteed

So without dual spec and with an LFG tool like we have how does one heal instances while leveling with these long *** ques? I mean its not as if you can be dps spec and leveling while in que and then get group and then head back to fleet to respec before run leaving the group waiting for 5 to 10 mins while you get back and respec.

I'm pretty new but it seems to me that given how long the ques are and that theres no way to see how much longer till you will get a group that all combines to mean noone ques. I mean a healer with a 45 minute or more que having to sit in fleet and do nothing else while looking for a hammer station group for example or try and solo as a healer spec.

I assume if healer has that long of a que and dps is the same or longer tanks must get insta ques since long healer and dps ques imply a tank shortage.

Seeing that all players get given 6 (7 if you include HK) companions to choose from, its not very difficult to level as a healer - just use the dps companion against most mobs and swap out to a tank against the big bosses.

At least that what I did.

But yes, there does seem to be a tank shortage.

Edited by djmothra

So without dual spec and with an LFG tool like we have how does one heal instances while leveling with these long *** ques? I mean its not as if you can be dps spec and leveling while in que and then get group and then head back to fleet to respec before run leaving the group waiting for 5 to 10 mins while you get back and respec.

I'm pretty new but it seems to me that given how long the ques are and that theres no way to see how much longer till you will get a group that all combines to mean noone ques. I mean a healer with a 45 minute or more que having to sit in fleet and do nothing else while looking for a hammer station group for example or try and solo as a healer spec.

I assume if healer has that long of a que and dps is the same or longer tanks must get insta ques since long healer and dps ques imply a tank shortage.

Im a Sorc healer, and I have zero problem leveling using my force powers and companion. Can't speak for other classes though.

There are a few ways to go about this all of which are plenty viable

1.If an alt simply purchase field respec, especially if a subscriber it is probably the most worthwhile investment of 200k credits you can put into a character, allowing you to dink with spec tweaking or flat-out change trees as you go.

2.If field respec is out, level as a healer. It is not particularly difficult to be effective as a healer with a tanking (a little slow but unkillable) or dps companion. I have all three healing types and depending on the situation will often do my dailies at 50 as a healer, never facing much issue.

3.Level as a hybrid spec-- It really won't matter in low level instances where you can just heal in dps spec (especially since they all have low level talents in dps trees that support the healing aspect well). Once you get into 31 or so pick up your 11-point healing and dps talents to have a good blend, works extremely well for leveling versatility while still being able to heal.

Seeing that all players get given 6 (7 if you include HK) companions to choose from, its not very difficult to level as a healer - just use the dps companion against most mobs and swap out to a tank against the big bosses.

At least that what I did.

But yes, there does seem to be a tank shortage.

Aw hell, i did that with my DPS specced smuggler, and it worked fine... just healing your tank companion works fine...

Also there is a tank shortage because every time something goes wrong its the tank that gets blamed...

Aw hell, i did that with my DPS specced smuggler, and it worked fine... just healing your tank companion works fine...

Also there is a tank shortage because every time something goes wrong its the tank that gets blamed...

I think it also has the steepest learning curve. It may take a good bit of effort to evolve into a good healer, but it usually isn't that bad becoming a serviceable one. Same not necessarily true on tanks.

Would venture that choosing a 4 man flashpoint setup instead of 5 (wow) or 6 (lotro) exacerbates this as it becomes a 50/50 dps to heal-tank ratio instead if 3:2 or even 2:1, lucky for me 3 of the 4 characters I consistently play are healers and I've a guild with a disproportionate number of tanks

Im a Sorc healer, and I have zero problem leveling using my force powers and companion. Can't speak for other classes though.

Same for me.

So much that I leveled 2 consular. One sage and one shadow.

One was a healer and leveled using tanks - a little slower but very easy.

The other was shadow. Leveled tank and ran with a healer companion. Also very easy and pretty fast.

As a sage, I just stayed healing spec the entire 1-50. Quested with tanking pet and hit FP's as a healer. Never had to change spec at all and back there as a subscriber it cost much more than it recently did.

the first two characters I leveled were healers, a combat medic and a sawbones. Then I did a marauder and a shadow. It obviously can be done but to say its the same is a joke, especially any time more elite mobs are involved. Companions are simply stupid. They stand in fire and never avoid mechanics, where a player can move around and the companion stays (usually) at a safe range.

I know some changes have been made since I leveled a healer but interrupts were also a big deal, you had the bare minimum considering how fast mobs recast heals etc, a mistimed skill could mean failure. Compare that experience to my shadow which could basically interupt constantly and the leveling experience isn't even close. So my suggestion to the op is- don't. just level as dps so you aren't constantly frustrated and pick up healing again at or near 50.

My understanding (and experience) is that healing specs are some of the more powerful leveling specs, especially with some legacy personality bonuses to boost your companion. You just have to learn how to control your companion.

So I fail to see the problem.

As others have said, it's easy to level as heal spec in this game. I have found it to be a little advantageous myself, as I can usually solo most heroic quests as long as I play smart (with a few notable exceptions). As a Jedi Sage/Sith Sorcerer using the bubble, CC and HoT you can steamroll content many others would struggle with. It's not the fastest but it certainly can be a lot of fun. or at least it was for me.