why does the squishiest class (sorc) have the least burst?

Odyseus

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorcs/sages would make a good counter class to some, but because getting to your target has been made so easy in this game, the class just doesn't work. Their deeps is fine, it's just the amount of leaps/pulls and the range of said abilities that make it useless.

class that has no defensive cooldowns and is squishest like sage should be highest hitting class not be stupid periodic crap

but no instead they give 8k aoe smash to class that has best cooldowns and best utility in game

roll black sage pre 1.2

class that has no defensive cooldowns and is squishest like sage should be highest hitting class not be stupid periodic crap

but no instead they give 8k aoe smash to class that has best cooldowns and best utility in game

roll black sage pre 1.2

Yep, those bubbles sure are crap. So are the stuns that everyone uses with them now. Oh and did I mention it can be used back to back? Talk about a crappy defensive. :rolleyes: QQ more little sage. :rak_04:

Edited by PoliteAssasin

I play both a Sorcerer and a Sage in PvP. We aren't nearly as squishy as you would like to believe. You get a free heal that crits for 5k-plus with decent gear on a fairly low cooldown, along with bubble. I personally don't use stun bubble as it is going to get nerfed anyway. I like my low-cooldown 2-second root out at the top of the madness/balance tree. You have lots of tools to counter other classes' burst.

I do think sorcs/sages should get an execute, but DPS is solid all-in-all.

The real issue is the derp-smash spec, which obviously needs a nerf. But our damage is fine. You just have to know how to play the class.

roll black sage pre 1.2

Than remove your ability to self-heal.

Other classes have to be speced to get self-heals.

Edited by Ramtar

I do believe that the correlation between sorc/sage output, the light armor and other classes is poor but I'd rather nerf other classes (or specs) than buff sage/sorc. By buffing sage/sorc we'd only add to the problem, the short ttk'es. Or nerf damage by 25 % across the board instead, that would give sorcs/sages enough time to use their tools, we wouldnt even have to tweak them. Edited by MidichIorian

I play both a Sorcerer and a Sage in PvP. We aren't nearly as squishy as you would like to believe. You get a free heal that crits for 5k-plus with decent gear on a fairly low cooldown, along with bubble. I personally don't use stun bubble as it is going to get nerfed anyway. I like my low-cooldown 2-second root out at the top of the madness/balance tree. You have lots of tools to counter other classes' burst.

I do think sorcs/sages should get an execute, but DPS is solid all-in-all.

The real issue is the derp-smash spec, which obviously needs a nerf. But our damage is fine. You just have to know how to play the class.

I would say this is both correct and incorrect at the same time.

In a one-on-one scenario, their DPS is acceptable, because the combat will last long enough for their utility to and ability to kite to make up for their lower burst against most classes.

However, in group scenarios and Ranked, DPS Sage/Sorc are a poor choice. You need to be able to switch targets instantly (which you can't do with a DoT based damage dealer) to focus fire, and it is almost impossible to make up for your DPS shortfall with CC in the same way, because other ACs will also be putting up their own CC and you'll white bar people.

That's why Sorc/Sage could do with a spec that has some reasonable front-loaded burst damage. Certainly something better than '20% alacrity for 10s every 120s', because it's really not that good on it's own, but it also requires you go quite high up a tree renowned for being a poor choice for PvP.

Edited by Tyrias

I would say this is both correct and incorrect at the same time.

In a one-on-one scenario, their DPS is acceptable, because the combat will last long enough for their utility to and ability to kite to make up for their lower burst against most classes.

However, in group scenarios and Ranked, DPS Sage/Sorc are a poor choice. You need to be able to switch targets instantly (which you can't do with a DoT based damage dealer) to focus fire, and it is almost impossible to make up for your DPS shortfall with CC in the same way, because other ACs will also be putting up their own CC and you'll white bar people.

That's why Sorc/Sage could do with a spec that has some reasonable front-loaded burst damage. Certainly something better than '20% alacrity for 10s every 120s', because it's really not that good on it's own, but it also requires you go quite high up a tree renowned for being a poor choice for PvP.

I could get behind a slight boost to burst damage for Sorcs/Sages, but I don't think it is that far off. FiB crits for 4k on multiple targets. Mind Crush with a proc hits like a truck. Honestly, I think the solution here would be a bit of a buff to project for sorcs and sages. It's the only other instant hit we get, and it just doesn't hit that hard.

Yeah, I could go with that. Maybe even something akin to what Shadows have, where they build up a stack of procs from some other skill, and that adds to the damage of the next Project. Just something to let smart Sages/Sorcs bring in the burst without having to wait a couple of minutes for a cooldown.

It's always niggled at me that Shadows have a more powerful Project that the AC that is supposed to be most about pofwerful force abilities.

A hybrid 21/20 madness/lightning or 23/16 has plenty of burst, it is just harder to play than something like PT that needs 3 buttons for rotation. I will be happy if smash gets a little nerf, or whatever it takes to get people to play another class. Tired of premades chain smashing ;)

Yeah, I could go with that. Maybe even something akin to what Shadows have, where they build up a stack of procs from some other skill, and that adds to the damage of the next Project. Just something to let smart Sages/Sorcs bring in the burst without having to wait a couple of minutes for a cooldown.

It's always niggled at me that Shadows have a more powerful Project that the AC that is supposed to be most about pofwerful force abilities.

I would be down for a fairly generous buff to shock and force lightning.

I agree with OP that we are very squishy with no cannon to match.

Edited by Ariak-