Patch 1.6 livestream Q&A notes & transcript

Iwipe

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff was VERY clear in those questions. That's what I love to see! Good job dulfy and good job Mr. Hickman. You answered good questions!

I liked the stuff that is coming and the cool "new gameplay and new ways to play" on Makeb and the little revamp they are going to do on the horizontal progression stuff.

It seems they are headed in the right direction :)

I agree, one thing that will help this game is more options and some different things to do, glad to see them talk about things like that..:)

"New system to copy live characters to PTS whenever you want. You should see it before we launch Mekab so you can test out that content."

This is extremely troubling for any player who takes playing on a test server seriously. Allowing character copying with all the gear one has built up since launch is essentially handing people an "I Win" button for the test server and trampling the work of people who develop characters and play on test on a dedicated basis. It's a slap in the face to anyone who would want to consider PTS their "home" server.

Sadly, it is nothing new considering BioWare's track record with PTS. You (BW) simply have no idea on how to run a public test environment in spite of what experience you should have gained from running this game throughout the beta period and through its launch.

There has been considerable discussion in the PTS Forum section about how BioWare could create a stable environment for long-term testing as well as for short, temporary testing of specific content. It would be refreshing if anyone on the development team would actually decide to read it. As far as I can tell from BioWare's history with PTS, your player base knows more about running a test server than you do.

16. When is Cathar coming out? Are we planning on any races beyond that.

Damion: Cathar race is coming in the months timeframe not the years timeframe.

Jeff: Probably, yes.

Damion: I want it out as soon as it is feasible because we want to see how everything does on the market. The answer to the second question is how well is the Cathar doing on the marketplace. Doing a race and all the customization options is very very expensive but if it is something popular, that is something we will do more.

This sounds ominous...does this mean it's a Cartel exclusive, that even subscribers have to pay for?

Fair enough, let's say people like me are in the same position as you are.

For the people I care for, I'll redirect them to others better made F2P games, as long as the game isn't as good as those or cheaper.

Touche.

However, in that same position, the motivation for such casual MMO players vary. In my case, I know the primary reason for about half of those remaining 10 is because its Star Wars, with the game mechanics and restrictions having little to no affect because they can immerse themselves in a Star Wars game with a Star Wars story. That is all that matters to them.

The other half vary a bit more from it being the current game to play with F2P to being recommended by another friend, or being an rpg they want to play, or even being just something to do to kill time.

I think you are right in that some may catch on later on and to the idea of there are better F2P models out there but I think the portion BW is targeting (unless I am off, which I could be) is the ones who are not concerned with the MMOs in general they should play but this MMO ( a Star Wars MMO) in particular which they cannot play otherwise (since SWG is gone).

In those cases, at least 1/3rd of those 15 I mentioned earlier are not initially interested in playing other F2P MMOs, regardless of how good they are.

Now perhaps I know more people willing to play this game for free exclusively than the average person and there may be more savvy MMO players in general but that's an argument for whether or not the audience they are targeting is significant or not.

This sounds ominous...does this mean it's a Cartel exclusive, that even subscribers have to pay for?

I'm fairly certain that us subs will be able to purchase new race for around the same amount of cartel coins we get each month, maybe a tad bit more.

Not really a problem.

Kind of is when we are already paying customers. No??

The races are expensive to develop(as was mentioned in the livestream, probably due to animations for everything ranging from conversations to each class and ability I'd imagine), and its normal to release them as part of a paid expansion. I understand your beef, but would you be happier if it were part of a paid expansion(maybe another year or so down the road)?

Touche.

However, in that same position, the motivation for such casual MMO players vary. In my case, I know the primary reason for about half of those remaining 10 is because its Star Wars, with the game mechanics and restrictions having little to no affect because they can immerse themselves in a Star Wars game with a Star Wars story. That is all that matters to them.

The other half vary a bit more from it being the current game to play with F2P to being recommended by another friend, or being an rpg they want to play, or even being just something to do to kill time.

I think you are right in that some may catch on later on and to the idea of there are better F2P models out there but I think the portion BW is targeting (unless I am off, which I could be) is the ones who are not concerned with the MMOs in general they should play but this MMO ( a Star Wars MMO) in particular which they cannot play otherwise (since SWG is gone).

In those cases, at least 1/3rd of those 15 I mentioned earlier are not initially interested in playing other F2P MMOs, regardless of how good they are.

Now perhaps I know more people willing to play this game for free exclusively than the average person and there may be more savvy MMO players in general but that's an argument for whether or not the audience they are targeting is significant or not.

Sadly remove the IP and well, pretty sure you would not even bother redirect these people to TOR.

As many others I just want a better game and so far even the last team does not seems to display they understood how to fix the game.

• The F2P model is bad.
  • The communication with the player base is abysmal
  • They are wasting our money (subs and CC alike) on ashaming features: one full team to space content
  • They aren't any close to focus on V.O. class content
  • Each iteration of PvP fixes made it worse than before

P.S. your friends deserve games in which the producers care for them like in Rift, GW2, Wow and so on.

Edited by Deewe

Anything Dulfy = instant win.

•Our intent right now is to update the Cartel Market weekly and see a new Cartel pack with new rare items every month. Before the holidays, we got a really big cool update coming. With Life day coming up, we will have a new Life Day Cartel pack and cool new items such as Czerka LV-1 Celebrator (you are going to die when you see it), Life Day robes, orbs, holo-tree etc. Going forward, you can expect to see more archetypical gear (i..e more of a core Jedi Knight look etc).

Loved Life Day in SWG, and I'm sure TOR will have a more serious one / more enjoyable. Looking forward to more events after this one...my fear is that the Cartel items for this will not be available via event as well. :(

In addition....the CE vendore items in the Cartel Market....NO, just no!

Edited by Eillack

If you want items on the Cartel store, you buy Cartel Coins.

If you want items on the CE vendor, you buy the CE.

Otherwise, what's the point? :confused:

^ This. Just talking about it pretty much says "We gave up on our promise to regularly update the CE vendor" .... :(

Edited by Eillack

So let me get this straight. We now have to pay cartel coins to get event related items? Wookie Life Day Cartel Packs. So instead of participating in the event like the rakghoul plague and the gree themed ones where we earned tokens to be turned in for rewards. We now have to gamble on new cartel packs? If that's true and we cannot earn the rewards from participating in events that's a load of BS.

First off im going to state i love the story part of the game, now that is out of the way im just wondering how long we should go away and save our cash until what has been stated as coming since pre launch and after launch IE the guild summit arrives.

I dont mind paying subscription for an mmo, i actually think its a good statnding to be on for continued development of the game, and im not stabbing at anything that been done BUT the status quo of soon, really soon, and ow really really soon and the i have played this today but bla bla just aint cutting it anymore.

We all understand that the company is going through changes but teasing only works for so long, and i think its been long enough with the teasing of what will be. They can talk till the cows come home but really thats all the majority of it is, talk.

Edited by Shingara

the main reason the ce vendor isn't getting anything is because they already have the money of the dumb ce buyers. they can do something = no return, they can leave it altogether = no return.

whereas cartel market items = $$

nobody cares about the people who were dumb enough to buy the ce that lost it's value faster than the cruzeiro prior to the real in brazil

Edited by macumba

the main reason the ce vendor isn't getting anything is because they already have the money of the dumb ce buyers. they can do something = no return, they can leave it altogether = no return.

whereas cartel market items = $$

nobody cares about the people who were dumb enough to buy the ce that lost it's value faster than the cruzeiro prior to the real in brazil

What a great and constructive post!

Sorry, but when you advertise for regular updates, you do it.

Someone needs to ask them when they are going to fix the combat responsiveness.

The amount of times abilities dont trigger is really annoying. I think its to do with the animations that seem to have priority over damage and status etc.

Often see it when i have a stunned/incapacitated mob and try to use abilities like pommel strike but it starts the animation then stops and does no damage. Really annoying and poor combat system which needs tweaking.

I am really happy with some of this stuff.

Even though I resubbed I think the quickbars and character slot addition are great for preferred players. My wife doesn't play as much and she wanted to try again but her level 41 marauder has too many skills for 2 quickbars and she has more than 2 characters as well.

These two changes put a smile on her face and she will give SWTOR another shot when this update comes.

Personally I am happy to see that a lot of things have actually improved and reduced costs of taking out mods and speeder piloting etc. are really nice touches for me as a subbed played.

I do know there is more lag on servers than before and it does give issues on responsiveness as well. But then again the servers have never been this busy. I am hopeful that one of these days an extra server or two can be reopened because of increased population, thereby balancing population vs lag a bit better. But I understand they don't wnat to do that too soon. I will say that the disconnects during flashpoints seem to have stopped (knock on wood), so that's great.

I am looking forward to the new space missions and I really hope they will be multiplayer like space flashpoints basically.

Bottom line, things aren't perfect, but it's looking good to me. I also am quite interested in that new itemization approach because well, I'm not a fan of the tier 2 ops but I am glad that crafting is opening up to higher level mods and such. I just want the high level gear on my main for kicks :)

I am pretty excited about a new space game because we get off the rails. I love space games such as Free Lancer and the classic space games prior to SWTOR. Its just a long ways out. Must alpha test! Edited by Lateris
spelling!