Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Same people get hit by unscheduled maintenance every time

Blackbird_BbB

Can you please change up your schedule a bit?? I know that you do maintenance at the lowest populated times, but for those of us that play at that time....well, we are getting hit pretty hard... with no compensation to show for it.

Just rotate your hours for unscheduled maintenance periods. I understand that fixes need to go in, but why totally spit on the late-night/early players every time? We already don't play on Mon/Tue due to the scheduled maintenance, but you're taking multiple days of the week from us now.

I'm all for fixing stuff, but the people that get "screwed" are always the same ones over and over. Change it up.

TLDR: Major issue that needs a fast-fix emerges; Bioware fixes or brings servers down at the same time every time. Same people pay for it every time.

Edited by Blackbird_BbB

Which, being honest, they shouldn't try to appease a minority. Sorry, that's just how a business works.

Unfortunately for me, I agree with this statement. Proper for business and my choice to stay or go. I can only be pooped on so many times, though, until I run for the hills. ;)

There is a reason why Oceania's playerbase has dropped to almost 15% of what it used to be, and its not because of other games.

I feel for you guys that play during primetime there. I don't know why they don't go to 6am central since that would affect the least number of people, even on 12-hour maintenance days.

I feel for you guys that play during primetime there. I don't know why they don't go to 6am central since that would affect the least number of people, even on 12-hour maintenance days.

Because with that their employees wouldn't be able to work on any issues that arise from the patch, which is what they will be doing the majority of the time after patches.

You just contradicted yourself.... if its unscheduled then why would they change their schedule? :rolleyes:

Scheduled maintenance is at 2 A.M. CST every Tuesday. We all get that. We all plan for that.

Unscheduled maintenance is anything not at Tuesday at 2 A.M. CST. However, they always do the maintenance at 2 A.M. CST no matter what. I'm not sure why I'm having to spell it out for you?

Scheduled maintenance is at 2 A.M. CST every Tuesday. We all get that. We all plan for that.

Unscheduled maintenance is anything not at Tuesday at 2 A.M. CST. However, they always do the maintenance at 2 A.M. CST no matter what. I'm not sure why I'm having to spell it out for you?

Lol... uh UNscheduled maintenance by definition means its not on a scheduled time... they have done UNscheduled maintenance at all times of the day FYI.... thats why its called UNscheduled, not sure why you need that spelled out for you ;) It just happens to be that this particular UNscheduled maintenance is at the regular scheduled time for scheduled maintenance, but its not always at that time.

Edited by JediKalel

I remember there was actually a time when maintenance didn't happen all at the same time and the general complaint was calling for consistent maintenance so people could plan it out.

There was never a time in SWTOR that maintenance was any other time than midnight pacific time. There were several times when, like this week, they patched on Tuesday... broke stuff... then patched again (and again?) (and again?) to fix stuff, but each time waiting until midnight pacific to do the patch.

What I believe the OP is saying, and I have long said, is patch the patch when the patch is finished... not waiting until midnight every single time so that the same exact people are effected every single time.

Its odd that this is the only MMO I've ever played (or even heard of) that uses midnight pacific time for maintenance/ patches.

How is it that this is the only MMO in the world that has its lowest population at that time?

I've been playing MMO's only since 2003... so not forever, but until this game, the most common time for patching is 4am pacific. Midnight is and always has been (because of work shedule) right near the beginning of my playtime.

I've had more downtime in this game because of patches and maintenance than all the bugs have caused in all the other games I've played combined.

Edited by TapVallian
grammar

If you're on Oceania and didn't think this would be part of the deal coming in the door you didn't think things through. And I say this as an Oceania player.

C'est la vie, mates. You're out about $2 US per month. Live with it or go F2P.

Heheh, nice post. I play from the U.S. and I am totally for fixing bugs, but my point is: why are the same people paying for each bug fix every time!? No matter where you play from, you're going to be the one paying for downtime.

As was pointed out, we are the minority players because we play at "off" times, but why do we have to pay the price every time there's a fix needed?

This maintenance is to fix a serious issue with companions (definitely needed and no one is arguing that point) but, for something so serious, why didn't they fix it immediately? They always wait to patch at the same time, thus screwing over the same people every time.

Lol... uh UNscheduled maintenance by definition means its not on a scheduled time... they have done UNscheduled maintenance at all times of the day FYI.... thats why its called UNscheduled, not sure why you need that spelled out for you ;) It just happens to be that this particular UNscheduled maintenance is at the regular scheduled time for scheduled maintenance, but its not always at that time.

If they have had the SWTOR <--- servers down any other time than midnight pacific it hasn't been more than once or twice in the lifetime of the game so far. I can't remember any since the first week when they ended early release and closed the servers at 10 or 11 pm.

They save their Unscheduled maintenance for midnight, just on a different day than Tuesday.

I HATE these nighttime 2AM maints. This is my usual playtime.

After a long day I log in, play for 10 minutes... and I see that it is maintenance AGAIN. That just ruins my night, wanted to play for 2 or 3 hours before going to sleep. Always gotta screw something up with the slightest of patches.

Hate it.

I'm self-employed, and so I play at all different times of day. Some days I'll work at night and play in the day, and others I'll do the opposite, and on others still I'll keep SWTOR open all day and night and just play whenever I need a break.

The point of all this is that BioWare should never decide on a maintenance time until they consult with me so they can work around my schedule. You never know when I might want to play at 2am, and they should compensate for my desires.

I have no idea where you guys are coming up with unscheduled maintenance always being at the same time... I remember plenty of times it was morning, mid day, or night (EST) after a buggy patch.

I understand where you're coming from, JediKalel, but this company will 9/10 times do their "unscheduled" maintenance at the same time they do their "scheduled" maintenance. I've been here since launch and it seems the norm. I'm not trying to exaggerate anything.

Business-wise it might be a good idea for them...I wouldn't know. Alienate the few to please the many? Might work in the end for all I know. Still...I'm going to complain when I can't play the game I pay to play.

I understand where you're coming from, JediKalel, but this company will 9/10 times do their "unscheduled" maintenance at the same time they do their "scheduled" maintenance. I've been here since launch and it seems the norm. I'm not trying to exaggerate anything.

Business-wise it might be a good idea for them...I wouldn't know. Alienate the few to please the many? Might work in the end for all I know. Still...I'm going to complain when I can't play the game I pay to play.

I'm a late night guy myself, so I feel your pain, but 3 AM EST is usuallly when server pops are the lowest, so you have to live with it (I agree it sucks lol). Theres definitely been more 3 AM maintenance than not, but to imply its always the same is incorrect.

Because with that their employees wouldn't be able to work on any issues that arise from the patch, which is what they will be doing the majority of the time after patches.

then tell their QA , QC to do their job harder and harder b4 release any patch,

seriously i never see any sw product include IT with so lousy work.

then tell their QA , QC to do their job harder and harder b4 release any patch,

seriously i never see any sw product include IT with so lousy work.

Heheh, I don't think anyone here would argue that they messed up and this whole thing shouldn't have happened in the first place. The argument is just the TIME at which they chose to fix it....and that it is the same TIME they choose to fix everything they mess up--so same players are effected(pay for it) each time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.