F2P is working!

drjacobs

I bought this game at launch and played for 5 months before leaving for Diablo 3 and then Mists of Pandaria. The longer I stayed away from Swtor the less likely it seemed I would return, but then F2P happened. I logged in to check it out and now I am hooked all over again. I just renewed my subscription. F2P let's you poke your head in every once in awhile without any commitment.

F2P is certainly doing some good things for the game. It's a heck of a lot easier to get a group for low level FPs now, and as F2P players level up characters it should be easier to get mid and upper level groups later, too. The worlds are more populated and the game feels much more alive now. Now if they can stick to that 6-week content release plan, I think the game will thrive again.

I agree with you.

However i am of the opinion that they really need to move away from some ridiculous restrictions which they imposed on f2p players such as limited action bars.

Do f2pers need more than 2 quickbars to level to 50? As I understand it, they're pretty much selling the endgame, which is intentionally of rather limited access to f2p(if the whole game were free there'd be no reason to sub).

Do f2pers need more than 2 quickbars to level to 50? As I understand it, they're pretty much selling the endgame, which is intentionally of rather limited access to f2p(if the whole game were free there'd be no reason to sub).

I hope the lift some of the restrictions or at least give prefered status players a 3rd Bar, but what really sucks is that I bought Quickbars from the GTN, if they lift the restriction it means I wasted my money!!!

I hope the lift some of the restrictions or at least give prefered status players a 3rd Bar, but what really sucks is that I bought Quickbars from the GTN, if they lift the restriction it means I wasted my money!!!

your money isn't wasted because you have them now. Whereas if you didn't buy them, you wouldn't have them now.

I notice some people are subbing to the game, mainly because they don't have to pay a box price now. It's easy to drop 15 dollars a month, but not 60 bucks for the box in the beginning.

Boxed game is $11 on Amazon now though, gives you disks and 30 free days. It's silly not to buy the boxed game at current prices even though you can download for free and then subscribe.

Save the hassle of downloading 20+gigs. Just buy the box, install, patch, enter the code for 30 free days and take off into the game, IMO.

Edited by Andryah

Im waiting to see how the demand in the CC shop alters the direction Bioware takes. Im hopeful that P2W wont happen but I'd like too see if additional races comes into play if lots of people purchase the cathar. I'm almost inclined to buy the cathar just to motivate Bioware to release other species faster, even though I have no interest in the Cathar.

Boxed game is $11 on Amazon now though, gives you disks and 30 free days. It's silly not to buy the boxed game at current prices even though you can download for free and then subscribe.

Save the hassle of downloading 20+gigs. Just buy the box, install, patch, enter the code for 30 free days and take off into the game, IMO.

Most of them already downloaded the game, though. They tried the f2p, and then subbed.

Im waiting to see how the demand in the CC shop alters the direction Bioware takes. Im hopeful that P2W wont happen but I'd like too see if additional races comes into play if lots of people purchase the cathar. I'm almost inclined to buy the cathar just to motivate Bioware to release other species faster, even though I have no interest in the Cathar.

I'm cautiously optimistic about p2win not happening right now(as opposed to uncertain about what course would be taken before), because it seems the cartel packs are as much a success as the pack system in the ME3 MP. If we look at the track record there, it means good things for the development of the game. If they make plenty of money on the packs(which from everything I've heard/seen they have been) they have no reason to move towards a p2win system.