Bioware planning to limit subscribers existing characters.

MarsherMeow

Another option would be temporary character limit unlock so once they delete/transfer the toon, the slot will disappear so they won't exploit those slots for more alts in any case.

16 base slots for subscribers with that for the few people that have more than 16 on one server would be the way to go IMO.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 base slots for subscribers with that for the few people that have more than 16 on one server would be the way to go IMO.

More than 16...? No offense, but that's quite an overkill. Lockouts, someone said.. okay. Ops reset every week, right? That makes you do 2 ops a day + 2 additional over the week's course before it resets and you have to do it all over again. But my opinion on that doesn't matter.

If someone absolutely needs to have 16 characters on the same server oh-so-badly, I see no reason for him to pay for additional slots. Maybe with a discount, though. But really, it is an overkill.

Source: http://dulfy.net/2012/11/16/swtor-f2p-future-content-interview-with-damion-schubert/

So Bioware wants me to pay to access my existing characters I had on 2 separate servers before the mergers? I didn't ask for them to be put onto the same server..

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6675

Great I have been a loyal subscriber and they still want to gouge me even after their piss poor effort, well no effort at all with APAC server consolidation.

No. If I have been loyal and paying while others left I do expect some treatment back from bioware. Especially considering the state I have playing with the game which I love while others scoffed and left.

Ban people that have more than 12 characters! It's an exploit!

And you know what? I actually think that Bioware is incompetent enough to say that at some point.

This is why I come to these forums. This game is constantly being ruined by the devs and after every dumb decision I think *They CAN'T possibly screw it up more* and you do something so stupid, that it makes me realize that Einstein was right - Stupidity is unlimited.

Good work Bioware! You are going a great job sabotaging your own creation!! Keep it going.

To be fair, even I couldn't come up with so many ridiculous decisions, even if I tried!

Good work Bioware! You are going a great job sabotaging your own creation!! Keep it going.

To be fair, even I couldn't come up with so many ridiculous decisions, even if I tried!

I think they can give Fox a run for their money when it comes to alienation. I tip my hat off to you bioware you managed to piss off your loyal subscribers and make them feel like whores.

More than 16...? No offense, but that's quite an overkill. Lockouts, someone said.. okay. Ops reset every week, right? That makes you do 2 ops a day + 2 additional over the week's course before it resets and you have to do it all over again. But my opinion on that doesn't matter.

If someone absolutely needs to have 16 characters on the same server oh-so-badly, I see no reason for him to pay for additional slots. Maybe with a discount, though. But really, it is an overkill.

Plenty of people has 8 and 8 merged down into 16 on one server, and 16 on one server allows you to play one of each Advanced Class per side. So I think that's fair enough.

Those that had more than 16 toons merged on to one server should be able to keep them, but not make any more, even if they delete them until they are back down to 15 or under (per server).

Also free transfers might work.

The ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM:

legacy names: Server Specific.

Legacy unlocks (ie species, rocket boots): Account Wide.

16 slots per server (should have had this the enitre time)

Free 1 x transfer for all players to any server type. PCT after that.

And then we start the cycle all over again with those complaining and crying they lost their Legacy name....

You would not lose the legacy name anymore since people can all have the same one.

I just mean that your legacy name could be chossen differently on different servers,

Let's be frank, this isn't about milking people but curbing the folks that cleverly take advantage of the system. Even now you have people around the interwebz asking if they can trick the f2p 2 slot cap by subscribing for a month and making a bunch of lvl 1 toons then leting your subscription expire.

It won't ever happen cos of the effort required but I'm all for an induvidual evaluation approach. If anyone out there has 13 "legitimate alts" then ok, I understand that, but everyone that just made a phalanx of lvl 1 toons on servers to reserve names and whatnot should imo indeed pony up the cash.

Edited by aeterno

Disclaimer: I'm not affected by this personally, as I only have one of each base class.

From what I've read of that interview, the proposed solution is quite unfair on those who already had multiple characters on multiple servers. They shouldn't be punished for Bioware changing the rules.

On the other hand... I think it's entirely fair that those who intentionally played the system by creating characters immediately before the merges should be made to pay, as they did intentionally exploit the situation.

With that in mind, I think the "fair" solution would acutally be

• Accounts over 1 month old at time of merge, with more than 12 characters created more than one week before the merge was announced - no charge

• Accounts less than 1 month old at time of merge, with over 12 characters created in that time span - pay to unlock slots 13+

• Any account, regardless of age, with characters created above the 12 character limit between the announcement and the merge - pay to unlock 13+

Whlst this may still trap some non-exploiters, I think it's the fairest way to account for people caught out by Bioware's own change of rules.

Iam not surprised at all, first they told me that if my account ever falls into a F2P (i was up to test it just for lulz) i wont be able to use endgame, PVP and legacy gear i was working towards since 2011 as a regular subscriber on any of my chars untill i pay (to be able to use something i already paid for), moreover even if i resub i wont be able to use it anyway untill i again pay-some extra cash, as some of that gear is on chars that may get blocked eventually. I dont know whether laugh or cry, this is getting ridiculous. :D

12 character slots isn't exactly "limiting" people. Almost all MMO's have a cap on how many characters you can create:rolleyes:

Most MMOs(in fact I think ALL others), have stuck with announced character limits through out their existence(in fact some have actually RAISED the number for free for subscribers.. imagine that!). Another SWTOR first seems to be coming up.... :rolleyes:

12 character slots isn't exactly "limiting" people. Almost all MMO's have a cap on how many characters you can create:rolleyes:
The problem, as far as I can tell, isn't that 12 is "limiting" people, it's that a lot of people had 12+ characters over multiple servers long before the server merges, and now Bioware are intending to charge them for all their characters now being on a single server following a questionable decision on their own part.

Let's be perfectly honest here, if you actually have more than 12 characters (probably more like 8) then you have duplicates of one class or another. The only possible reasons for more than 8 characters are wanting to see all stories from both factions, bank/storage characters, "naming" reserves, and MAYBE PvE vs PvP centric characters. Even at this, with 12 character slots, you can have one of each SUBCLASS on one faction and still see every possible story on the opposing faction. All without having to leave the community you're living in or having to start all over on your legacy. It's actually better than it was when you only had 8 slots and had to start all over if you wanted to absolutely experience everything in the game.

Incidentally, since the main classes mirror each other in all but name and weapon loadouts, there's almost no reason to HAVE to have one of every subclass. Pick some favorites people. I know it may be a little painfull depending on how much time yiu have invested, but it's not the first time you've had to do it. And if you just can't give up those 4 redundant characters due to some unhealthy attachment, it looks like they're going to allow you to have the convenience of buying extra slots.

Sorry, but frankly it's noone's business WHY people have 16 or 20 or 40 characters on one server. The fact is, they do, and it was due to a situation EAware created.

Requiring them to pay to unlock any characters beyond 12 is ludicrous - they created those characters fairly under the established rules. They have every right to play (or not play if they choose) those characters, and they absolutely should NOT be forced to pay extra for that.

Umm I'm not sure this is even legal in most countries.

You can't sell a service under one contract, then change part of it and demand people pay to get back what they already paid for. Otherwise known as a con....

Edited by NasherUK

Let's be perfectly honest here, if you actually have more than 12 characters (probably more like 8) then you have duplicates of one class or another. The only possible reasons for more than 8 characters are wanting to see all stories from both factions, bank/storage characters, "naming" reserves, and MAYBE PvE vs PvP centric characters. Even at this, with 12 character slots, you can have one of each SUBCLASS on one faction and still see every possible story on the opposing faction. All without having to leave the community you're living in or having to start all over on your legacy. It's actually better than it was when you only had 8 slots and had to start all over if you wanted to absolutely experience everything in the game.....

Try inserting the words "I believe", or "I like to play as follows.." or "I", "I" as many times as YOU want in there.. and realize it is the way YOU would like to play, or the way YOU play.

Now for us with altitis.. YOUR way is very limited, but do we dis YOU..... :p

If this is Bioware's plan of leeching more cash off of players... well I think I speak for the majortity of us here in this thread when you attempt something like that: "Screw you Bioware, we'll be taking our money elsewhere's if this goes into effect."

You have been warned. :D

Which would be kinda hilarious, cuz I actually like the cartel shop this game has, wound up dropping a bit of cash on it and enjoying what I got... so, Sub + Cartel Spending...gee that'd be a slight chunk of change you'd be losing out on now wouldn't it? :)

There is 2 things I can say in last year I know I can depend on EAware to do.

1- Make threats that ignite the forums into a fury

2- Cave on said threats and grandfather people or reduce or even completely cave on issues.

Im going to make a 'prediction here' and wiling to bet money that EAware will do something close to this

----On said date, grandfather all people with more than 16 toons on single server (but only if its result of server merges), those with 16+ will be given 1 month to lower their amount to 16 or they'll start deleting your lowest level toons till 16 is met.

-----If you have 16 or more you'll be unable to make another toon til you are below 12 toons on that server again.

Let's be frank, this isn't about milking people but curbing the folks that cleverly take advantage of the system. Even now you have people around the interwebz asking if they can trick the f2p 2 slot cap by subscribing for a month and making a bunch of lvl 1 toons then leting your subscription expire.

It won't ever happen cos of the effort required but I'm all for an induvidual evaluation approach. If anyone out there has 13 "legitimate alts" then ok, I understand that, but everyone that just made a phalanx of lvl 1 toons on servers to reserve names and whatnot should imo indeed pony up the cash.

We did not cheat the system. When i rolled on Rubat Crystal I rolled 5 toons, ones that were duplicates of the toon I had been played during Beta

I had a system set up, complete on chapter and move on. When all my toons were chapter 2 would move on that chapter, and so on.

Then Rubat Crystal began to die off and it was months before we even heard anyting.

Eventually re-rolled on another server, because my server was dead.

My daughters had two characteres they liked to play thrown in trhere as well.

NO EXPLOIT, NO Assumptions. When the server merger came I had only one option...EBON HAWK. The characters i could not move because Ebon Hawk was full waiting on Rubat for a few more months before everything was consolidated.

In order to roll a new toon on Ebon Hawk now i had to delete like 8 characters. Some of which i had since day 1.

If this is Bioware's plan of leeching more cash off of players... well I think I speak for the majortity of us here in this thread when you attempt something like that: "Screw you Bioware, we'll be taking our money elsewhere's if this goes into effect."

You have been warned. :D

Which would be kinda hilarious, cuz I actually like the cartel shop this game has, wound up dropping a bit of cash on it and enjoying what I got... so, Sub + Cartel Spending...gee that'd be a slight chunk of change you'd be losing out on now wouldn't it? :)

Yeah I know. Love the new system but go damn this announcement makes my blood boil. Its obvious they are milking more cash from the customer base because of their ineptitude. Honestly they should of fixed this from the get go when they did go f2play.