Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Things SWTOR forgot to copy from WoW

Obiwanwillpwnme

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how the fact everyone says no dungeon finder cause all it does is make people stand around and do nothing.

I like to prove a point here... I am stuck in the fleet place spamming lfg and doing nothing but letting my "pet" run off on missions.

I really can't do nothing more, cause if I'm not on the fleet spamming I'm missing out on 99% of people whos doing flash points.

So see how ironic your point is? With out a dungeon finder I'm standing around in one spot spamming lfg over and over till someone takes me.

Least with a dungeon finder I could still be enjoying the game and the damn story.

^ this, agree completely

That's how i could stand to get Loremaster, if it wasn't for Dungeon finder, i'd have been in dalaran glued to general and trade chat with everyone els

I agree with a lot of the OP's points. Fact is, while we don't need another WoW, they certainly learned a number of things over the years. Quality of life and convenience things could easily be integrated into the game.

That said, the game just launched. Give em some time.

Addendum: Specifically I want to address Dungeon Finder - while dungeon finder may be too "easy" and a lot of people believe it killed community in WoW (I'm not sure I agree, if anything, people sitting in capital cities results in more people talking ot each other in capital cities...this can be good and bad, of course). It certainly hurts exploration and tends to clump people, however. That said, the flashpoint system is annoying. If I want to group up with someone I generally have to blow an 18h cooldown, or else go through screen after screen and travel through multiple zones in order to get there. Should some work have to be done? Sure. Make me find the dungeon the first time I run it or something. But give some option for getting there afterwards. Teleport to group feature, summon, something. At this point it's a hassle to run a flashpoint unless I happen to already be sitting at the fleet. At least a dungeon finder system allows me to play the game while I try to find a group.

Edited by shoveljon

1) Dungeon finder.

Finding a group and getting them all to the flashpoint takes too long, it's not fun so hardly anyone is playing flashpoints.

Strange all the flash points i get close to there is always folks lingering looking for teams, this feature is not needed as if look on chat folks shouting for groups all time, and if in general area can join up with others.

2) UI customisation.

Especially UI scaling. I play on a high-res monitor and the current UI is awful.

This is coming UI customisations is on the list of stuff to be added adn make better QoL

3) Group loot rules.

Don't let classes that can't use gear roll on it. It only causes grief, whether it was intentional or deliberate. WoW's 2-hour grace period for trading bound items with those eligible for them would have been nice, too.

Rift has a nice way of doing it, can only roll on stuff your class can use , also i thik a loot for comapion, which is jsut another greed roll could be added as some folks i thikn are getting idea to need on companion stuff imo is wrong, should only loot for the character you are playing and greed on other stuff for companions or in general.

5) Skills that level as you level.

Returning to a trainer every time you level up is not fun. It's a timesink.

Is way it is in most mmos, visit trainner when you ding.

6) Addons.

Especially DPS meters, or at least a combat log. I have no idea which of my skills/rotations are most effective which makes learning my class really hard. It's also very hard to analyse fights to work out what to avoid, which mob to kill first, what to interupt etc...

Definatly not needed and well if you any cope then you master your class no problem. WoW watered down you all to not being able to play mmos , i dont want to see addons in game, mmos should be teaming , being friendly, and questing together, dont want to see dps meters for all the elitist snobs in mmos world

7) Guild storage.

Sharing materials and items with guildies is a big part of a successful guild. Currently this is reduced to asking/offering in guild chat, which is pretty tedious.

This will probarly come as guilds i think been a bit rushed into game as was added quite late.

Edited by Sadare

1) Dungeon finder.

Finding a group and getting them all to the flashpoint takes too long, it's not fun so hardly anyone is playing flashpoints.

Disagree. Also... You mean that, to find a group with other people you have to actually talk to people? Fancy that. tbh i like it better that way. No group finder ever imo. I also think that pretty much everyone who has a char lvl11 or above has played flashpoints, it's clearly not that difficult to find a group.

2) UI customisation.

Especially UI scaling. I play on a high-res monitor and the current UI is awful.

I don't think the current UI is awful, I do agree with you on the scaling though, also, please let me move bits about.

3) Group loot rules.

Don't let classes that can't use gear roll on it. It only causes grief, whether it was intentional or deliberate. WoW's 2-hour grace period for trading bound items with those eligible for them would have been nice, too.

I dont really see why this isnt in tbh.

4) Selecting PvP warzones.

Lots of people hate huttball. I know it helps reduce PvP queues, but melee classes hate it. I'd be much more likely to queue for PvP if I could knock it off the list.

Disagree, I'm melee and i love huttball. I would like to be able to play which one i want to play though, that would be nice. Also... full premades.

Yes it's a time sink, I dont have a problem with that.

6) Addons.

Especially DPS meters, or at least a combat log. I have no idea which of my skills/rotations are most effective which makes learning my class really hard. It's also very hard to analyse fights to work out what to avoid, which mob to kill first, what to interupt etc...

Really? REALLY? I have an idea, pick an area where there are many of the same type of elite mobs, try different rotations on them, use your eyes, and if you really find it necessary, a stopwatch, to tell you which works best.

7) Guild storage.

Sharing materials and items with guildies is a big part of a successful guild. Currently this is reduced to asking/offering in guild chat, which is pretty tedious.

again, having to interact with real people in an mmo? who would have thought it... though a guild bank, yeah, we need it.

8) Achievements.

They were fun, quirky and added longevity to the game. A great way to spice up repetitive encounters and great personal goals for PvP.

Check your codex, plenty of achievments to get.

9) Fishing.

Great way to pass the ti.. nevermind, maybe SWTOR is doing some things right.

indeed

I'd be ok with a dungeon finder as long as it was same realm only. What really killed WoW with the dungeon finder, was that people from other servers thought it was fine to be rude and ninja loot, because there was no hit to their reputation.

If you leave it to realm only, you still need to be curtious(sp?) and it helps put people in groups and gets them there much faster. I'm old school WoW so forming groups through trade chat is no big deal, but you have to admit that a realm wide dungeon finder would make things easier.

1) Dungeon finder.

2) UI customisation.

3) Group loot rules.

Lots of people hate huttball. I know it helps reduce PvP queues, but melee classes hate it. I'd be much more likely to queue for PvP if I could knock it off the list.

6) Addons.

7) Guild storage.

8) Achievements.

They were fun, quirky and added longevity to the game. A great way to spice up repetitive encounters and great personal goals for PvP.

9) Fishing.

1. No, never, thank you

2. What's in suits me just fine

3. Yes and so if you're a Consular and have a Heavy Armour using companion and noone in the group requires the dropped loot, tought luck, dude! You can't need it!

4. I'd agree on that one

5. /facepalm dude, /facepalm

6. Some addons maybe, but DPS meter you mentioned, no thanks

7. Indeed

8. Codex

9. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

1) Dungeon finder.

2) UI customisation.

3) Group loot rules.

6) Addons.

7) Guild storage.

8) Achievements.

9) Fishing.

error invalid point

1) Dungeon finder.

No thanks.

2) UI customisation.

They're adding it.

3) Group loot rules

Again, no thanks. If it is an item that no one in the group needs, but my companion can use it, why not?

Doesn't bother me.

Meh. Doesn't bother me, at all.

6) Addons.

Pointless

7) Guild storage.

Something they're already adding.

8) Achievements.

Meh. The game basically already has.

9) Fishing.

Wat

Stuff

1: No, this is a terrible idea, have the time in WoW I never actually had to go find the dungeon or explore because it would simply port me over. Now maybe what we could do is put up a small landing pad near the Flashpoints that lets us send a shuttle out for the players that aren't there yet. But go over and stand near the flashpoint before you portal in.

2: Yeah, and I'm sure UI will be improved as we go along

3: Maybe, but then again since we don't have a dungeon finder you'll have a better chance of knowing who you're grouping with. If they hog the loot, kick them out. It's a self-correcting problem when they have a bad name on the server and folks won't group with them.

4: I like Huttball, but I'd like to play in the others too. This is something that WAR had done well, I think it can be added.

5: I don't mind, I go to cities to finish quests often too, since the trainer is usually right next to your class story NPC, it's not really a problem.

6: Not finding learning my class hard, I watch the damage roll off, see the hit/miss and watching healing happen. DPS meter isn't that needed.

7: This will be added, I'd like to see Guild Cap Ships too, sort of a group vessel.

8: Datacrons & Titles

9: I think Fishing should be added to Tatooine, hopefully near the Great Pit of Carkoon

Oh... nonononononono

Anything but this. Dungeon finder ruined WoW.

You have to realize the one big advantage the Dungeon Finder had. It is cross server. Meaning that finding a group with the LFD tool is going to be much much faster than looking for one in chat. Obviously everyone in TOR right now is using the chat to find a group, since it's the only way, therefore it's still very quick finding a group.

Still, nothing beats queue'ing as a tank or healer, and getting instant groups. The LFD tool did not destroy WoW. Only a very small contingent believes that it did.

I will make hunting rare fauna in some planets instead of fishing cuz fishing is a joke in the space i think...

And no dungeon finder i think is a mistake

it took rift 2-3 months before they announced a dungeon finder/addons, i have to believe this community is much bigger an can pressure BW into admiting the ****ed up a lot faster.

*heres to hoping*

Yes you are paying, I am paying, thousands more are paying AND don't want macros,addons and LFD. Majority of people, I reckon, don't really care one way or the other

Scrubs who don't want them are the kids who wouldn't use them to begin with. They should be there for people who actually want to use them, otherwise Bioware is limiting its market.

How many items in your list were in WOW on release? Let's compare apples to apples.

Damn, I never realised SWTOR was released back in 2004 (not in 2011) and it aims to compete with games from that period!

Edited by Khelien

Don't know why people are supporting NOT having a dungeon finder. It saves players time, gets dumb LFG spam out of chat, and doesn't hurt the community as long as it only picks players from your server.
THAT I could live with. Fear of consequences would keep the rebels in line... fear of their making enemies in their own little world.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.