$10-$15 for armor sets/crystals? Really?

PoliteAssasin

Considering that these are on a Per Character basis, I will have to agree. The prices should be reduced, a lot.

STO and CO charge 5-8 dollars for a new set of uniforms or costume parts, but those usually include more than just one outfit and they are for ALL Characters on the Account. This is Per Character and at twice the cost. Anybody who says they'll gladly pay that will probably also gladly pay 6 dollars extra at BestBuy for the same BlueRay they can get at Target. Personally, I prefer not to be gouged.

:cool:

if i remember right the sets were supposed to be legacy bound, someone please verify that, i remember reading somthing about it, but can't find the thread anymore... so if it's legacy bound is is for ALL characters.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i remember right the sets were supposed to be legacy bound, someone please verify that, i remember reading somthing about it, but can't find the thread anymore... so if it's legacy bound is is for ALL characters.

They're not Legacy-bound. People want them to be. There were a few threads about it, so that's probably what you remember.

In the Free-to-Play Questions thread, one of the answers to a question was about the Cartel Market items currently not being Legacy-bound:

DarthTexas: Why is the armor obtained from the Market & mystery boxes not bind to legacy? It seems a step backward in regards to giving players choices and flexibility.

Blaine: Bear in mind that you are completely free to trade the armor, mail it to your Alts, or put it on the GTN even though it is not BoL, so you have an awful lot of choice and flexibility. That said – we’ve heard this feedback and are considering some options for the future that may satisfy this desire.

That was all they said on things being possibly bound to Legacy. An option for the future.

They're not Legacy-bound. People want them to be. There were a few threads about it, so that's probably what you remember.

In the Free-to-Play Questions thread, one of the answers to a question was about the Cartel Market items currently not being Legacy-bound:

That was all they said on things being possibly bound to Legacy. An option for the future.

ok thank you, i was unsure about it, been reading so much stuff, official statements and 'forums facts' (read bogus) mixed together.

The price doesnt seem too expensive imo. Its vanity gear if u dont want it then dont buy it. I personally will be buying many items. Im desperate for SWTOR to be around for a long time so anything i can do to aid that, i will. Imo our cash shop seems far superior to the likes of GW2's version

Relax. Every other F2P that has done this has just waited a year and then put those same items back up for sale.. they are in it to make money so NOTHING will be unique or a true 'one time only' offer.

Not entirely true. Over in CoH they released a collectors edition that contained a travel power called Power Slide. They flat out refused to re-release it. Even when the game went F2P and players begged them to take their money for the power they refused. Players only option was to find an old unused copy of that collectors edition.

IMO only a few prices are a bit high, and only about 5 percent higher than I expected after some of them were raised recently. I have to expect they have some sort of ROE or ROA model that supported the increased prices.

Prices are set based on demand, and I imagine they had some sort of metrics, perhaps connected with use in PTS (although it's likely internal) that signaled certain prices did not provide maximum return potential.

That demand will determine future increases or decreases. If the demand is lower, due to costs being too high for the market, the prices will and should drop. So I would wait until demand justifies or rejects the model.

In other words, if the prices are indeed too high, they will drop.

The prices for items on the cartel market is just way too high. Do you really expect people to pay ten to fifteen dollars for an armor set or color crystals? These prices need to be somewhat reduced. The cartel conversion from cash to cc is fine, but lower the price of actual armor sets and crystals a bit.

man...that its optional and cosmetic, u only pay for that if u want..

I don't mind paying for items if i want them to be perfectly honest I don't see what all the drama is about if you want it buy it if not, you are not being forced to buy, keep ya hand on ya wallet and play as normal.

I buy ships in STO every now and then and there like £16 i think i paid for the last one, although i have checked recently and they have put the prices up so wont be spending any more on them but even at 16 pound thats 25 dollars but i really wanted that ship so bought it.

The prices for items on the cartel market is just way too high. Do you really expect people to pay ten to fifteen dollars for an armor set or color crystals? These prices need to be somewhat reduced. The cartel conversion from cash to cc is fine, but lower the price of actual armor sets and crystals a bit.

I have to agree... maybe 5euro per crystal or gear is fine (i think is too much too) but i will not buy them if they cost this and are only ONE and not per character... i already pay 13 per month i will not spend 30 or more just for gear... this is not the way... no.

I agree, that's far more than I'm willing to pay. So here's a crazy thought, instead of ************ about it, I just won't buy one! OMG, what a revolutionary idea! I must be mad.

Holy crap, someone with a brain! Here I thought that all the ToR crowd was going to empty their wallets to show enough support to keep the game active.

Holy crap, someone with a brain! Here I thought that all the ToR crowd was going to empty their wallets to show enough support to keep the game active.

phaw, there are some pretty trinkets in the random packs, and as a sub I get a monthly stipend to spend on those. why on earth would I blow extra cash on a suit of armor I'll likely only use on one of my 8 main toons?

Has anyone considered that since it isn't live yet that bioware is using place holder items in the market? Perhaps they don't want anyone to know what the actual items are.. They know armor is a hot topic and would want to surprise us on opening day. I know I am reaching but what if I am right...

Appearance affects gameplay a lot.

It affects it, but it doesn't adversely affect it if you get jealous because your lack of purchasing. When he said "it doesn't affect gameplay" Im sure he meant it isn't "Gamebreaking/Required".

And I'm sure you also knew that. But you try to find faults in every facet of everything. <3

Has anyone considered that since it isn't live yet that bioware is using place holder items in the market? Perhaps they don't want anyone to know what the actual items are.. They know armor is a hot topic and would want to surprise us on opening day. I know I am reaching but what if I am right...

No, because that would defeat the purpose of testing the items -,-

They did say they plan on adding outfits monthly according to darthhater though.

Not entirely true. Over in CoH they released a collectors edition that contained a travel power called Power Slide. They flat out refused to re-release it. Even when the game went F2P and players begged them to take their money for the power they refused. Players only option was to find an old unused copy of that collectors edition.

Probably not a good time to mention CoH is shutting down huh?

Hope swtor doesn't shut down, but if they add p2w they may as well. But I have faith they know better. Despite the "Doomsaying" subs are stableish and now f2p will possibly add more.

there are two recurring 'philosophies' about cash shops commonly found in regards to pricing

a) sell stuff everyone would like to have for a really low price and have a lot of 'mini-income'

b) sell stuff everyone would like to have for a really high price and have a little of 'maxi-income'

I'd say so far the prices in the cartel coin shop are an in-between. they could sell more with a slightly lower price, but it's not yet in the 'nobody is going to pay that much' range

(for example in the secret world the introductory price for clothing sets was about ~12€, and subscribers didn't get a single coin for their subscription, either - which obviously resulted in a lot less people buying the sets, but you still saw people running around with them even before they gifted everyone coins)

I'm personally still convinced that model a) means more money in the end, simply because we are really just talking about pixels and not an actual physical item - however there are more than enough people out there who will only buy these items if they are expensive, because they want to be unique. (whether or not that is a good reason is a whole other story :D)

The deeper fear for you should be this. If this game can't survive with the 2nd largest subscriber base prior to F2P then the whole industry is in trouble. It's been a trend for a while now. Open an MMO, steal players from other games, bleed them out short term, and scatter the MMO players over a larger number of games reducing revenue for any specific one.

We are already saw what happened at Turbine when they lost about half lost their players when SWTOR opened, they haven't recovered from it and the downsizing is happening now. If SWTOR dies, the future of the MMO industry does too because funding for these type of games will dry up. Elder Scrolls will be the last big AAA game before Titan. If they both fail... get used to indie releases in the MMO space.

I agree 100%.

A lot of people are lookin at this F2P thing from a closed SWTOR only view which makes complaining about it really easy to do. Bottom line is they have to do something here to keep money coming in, and if that isnt possible then the market as a whole has had a shift in consumer habits.

For that matter 15 years ago "MMORPG's" were considered pipe dreams.

While I have my nitpicks about the free-to-play model sinking its talons into parts of the certain parts of the game that will only wind up damaged because of a desire to irritate people out of their cold, hard cash, vanity items and the like should have exuberant, luxury-item prices. Because they are just that - luxury items. You don't need them. No one needs them. They're all "look at me!" items, and their value is completely subjective based on the desire of the consumer.

I don't see anything on there worth getting worked up about at all tbh. The stuff that matters to me like being able to equip purple gear and all that are going to be included in my monthly sub, which I intent to keep going at least for a while. If it's so horrible for you to have to pay for cartel credits to get the ability to do stuff like that.... you should probably just keep paying your sub.