Cartel Coins = Legacy Name Lock

Holocron

Most of us were caught by surprise not too long ago when they announced that Legacy names would no longer be unique. Many were upset about the decision, and rightfully so. If you worked hard to secure a name for your toons, only to have others come in and trash that name with their bad attitudes/actions on the server, you would be justified in being upset. Also, despite what the opposition says, people tend to associate names regardless if it is the same person or not, and that can mean trouble for your reputation.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:

• Allow players to purchase a Legacy Name Lock in the Cartel Market.

• It would allow you to secure your Legacy name and remove it from being used by future players.

• You could only lock a Legacy name that is not already in use by multiple accounts.

• The Legacy Name Lock would also allow you to change your Legacy name to a uniquely identifiable name during the lock process if your current Legacy name is in use by multiple accounts.

• The Legacy Name Lock can be removed by the purchaser at anytime and re-bought/reapplied (but under the above rules) if so desired.

/Thoughts?

Edited by Holocron

Good thing your name isn't smith eh? Legacy Name really doesn't mean much to other players. I cannot name one Legacy name on my server other than my own. So I disagree with you having a Legacy name lock just to have one.

Tho I do think it would of been better for TOR to have unique legacy names and then allow players to have the same 1st name.

I agree with your sentiment, but this would never work, and would defeat the whole purpose of the change. Legacy names are changing from a meaningful part of your identity into a meaningless vanity tag. The devs obviously hope to please a zillion F2Pers who'll doubtless want to be Skywalker, Solo or Fett. Letting people lock their legacy names means all the most desirable (for most) names are unavailable. I'd suggest you just be happy with the name you have. In a month it'll be incredibly special among all the Kenobis and Windus.

I agree with your sentiment, but this would never work, and would defeat the whole purpose of the change. Legacy names are changing from a meaningful part of your identity into a meaningless vanity tag. The devs obviously hope to please a zillion F2Pers who'll doubtless want to be Skywalker, Solo or Fett. Letting people lock their legacy names means all the most desirable (for most) names are unavailable. I'd suggest you just be happy with the name you have. In a month it'll be incredibly special among all the Kenobis and Windus.

I understand what you are saying and I pretty much agree. However, what you state would still work in my proposed system. The more popular the Legacy name, the more likely it is to already be in use by multiple people. So, by virtue of its popular use, it would not be a name that can easily be locked. All the Skywalker's/Fett's players would still get to use those common popular names, but the rather unique names players might choose could be locked and protected from defaming/harassment. Plus, everyone wants to feel like a unique snowflake. :p

Edited by Holocron

Personally I would have never had Legacy names to begin with, but if someone wants to pay to keep a name, why not let them.

I wish they would have let us create first & last names to begin with that couldn't be reused by others. I understand them wanting to save last names for the legacy system, but they shouldn't have removed the unique aspect of it.

I could see the hate boil up when someone goes to create a legacy name, and it's locked by another player. Then they read about how Legacy names were changed so they wouldn't be unique and are just a vanity tag. If the player gets discovered, I can see them getting tons of whispers of vitriol.

How much are you willing to pay?

To be fair to all what should the price be?

IMNSHO it should be $100 or more to show you REALLY are attached to the name. :p

Also this SHOULD have been posted in the suggestion forums ... again ...:p

Edited by Urael

This will never happen.

I feel I should edit.

There is no way they will ever allow anyone to pay any amount of money to take away feature/options from other players.

It's really mind boggling...some of the ideas people come up with that have zero chance of ever happening, isn't it?

Most of us were caught by surprise not too long ago when they announced that Legacy names would no longer be unique. Many were upset about the decision, and rightfully so. If you worked hard to secure a name for your toons, only to have others come in and trash that name with their bad attitudes/actions on the server, you would be justified in being upset. Also, despite what the opposition says, people tend to associate names regardless if it is the same person or not, and that can mean trouble for your reputation.

Did you seriously use the words 'worked hard' in reference to legacy? I agree that it would be nice to maintain a unique legacy name but there's certainly no work involved in anything associated with the legacy system. It runs itself with zero intervention from players.