The Real Question Who do you want to Direct the new Star Wars?

jarjarloves

It was a testament to Robert Downey Jr's acting ability that he was STILL able to upstage everyone else on the team in spite of Joss Whedon making everyone shine.

I like Spielberg a lot, but when was the last time he directed a sci-fi action movie? That's my only big concern, here.

Good point. Whedon might be the best choice. I'm interested in seeing how these movies turn out.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's just remember who the Executive Producer of the new films is "Kathleen Kennedy". She is very good at what she does just check out her resume. She is also a big collaborator with Steven Spielberg, their first film together was E.T. in the 70's. So the obvious first choice for her would be Steven Spielberg, who had wanted to do a Star Wars film and that Lucas had wanted him to do one too. As for my remaining two choices they are:

2) James Cameron

3) Peter Jackson.

All three are great at making large worlds with great characters and emotion. And any of the three would do Star Wars proud. As for any other movie after 7, 8, and 9 anybody but Abrams should direct them. Not that Abrams is not a good director, which he is, but if he made his Star Trek movie with a Star Wars style (feel) in my opinion it did not work. But, that is my opinion.

Person of Interest has actually gotten a lot better since the first season. In fact, I would recommend Jim Caviezel as Grand Admiral Thrawn. He's got the attitude down perfect as it is. Never loses his cool. :cool:

Hmm, maybe I'll give it a second shot then.

It was a testament to Robert Downey Jr's acting ability that he was STILL able to upstage everyone else on the team in spite of Joss Whedon making everyone shine.

I like Spielberg a lot, but when was the last time he directed a sci-fi action movie? That's my only big concern, here.

Thats your opinion on Downey. In my honest opinion I thought Ruffalo did an outstanding job, especially since it was his first movie in the comics genre period.

Anyway, like I said before. Speilberg has said he wouldn't touch SW because of the respect for George.

I'm all for Whedon or Verbinski.

Christopher Nolan could not handle a true sci fi movie. All of his stuff is too grounded in reality, and Star Wars is about as far from that as you can get.

Have to disagree with this. What made the IV and V so great is that they felt "real." I'd love to see that brought back, rather than all the shine and polish of the prequels. Makeup, muppets, and models are what these movies need!

Thats your opinion on Downey. In my honest opinion I thought Ruffalo did an outstanding job, especially since it was his first movie in the comics genre period.

Anyway, like I said before. Speilberg has said he wouldn't touch SW because of the respect for George.

I'm all for Whedon or Verbinski.

I can't fault Ruffalo for stepping into Ed Norton's shoes and doing a great job. He's a very understated and underrated actor. He also didn't have as much screen time as the others on the team, for obvious reasons. He did a great job, as he usually does.

I was comparing Downey to the other members of the team with equal or near equal screen time.

Have to disagree with this. What made the IV and V so great is that they felt "real." I'd love to see that brought back, rather than all the shine and polish of the prequels. Makeup, muppets, and models are what these movies need!

While Chris Nolan is one of my favorite directors, I have to agree with Vic that he would be completely wrong for a full on Star Wars Epic. Granted, I think he would do a great job if they made a Boba Fett spinoff film. That's where his gritty realism would come in handy, imo.

While Chris Nolan is one of my favorite directors, I have to agree with Vic that he would be completely wrong for a full on Star Wars Epic. Granted, I think he would do a great job if they made a Boba Fett spinoff film. That's where his gritty realism would come in handy, imo.

I'm pretty sure he's bright enough to play to the fan base and not just make "Batman in space." He would do a fantastic job with the franchise.

To an extent, yeah I agree. I do hope the new trilogy is less like 1-3 and more like 4-6.

I just don't think he would want to take on a sci fi movie that includes plasma swords and magic. None of his movies have had any sort of fantasy element, they're all strictly grounded in reality. I don't think he would do it justice, much like how his Batman movies are incredible as films, but fall short in the super hero category because he cares so little about the action part of it.

We need a Star Wars trilogy with the heart of the OT and the action of the PT.

I'm pretty sure he's bright enough to play to the fan base and not just make "Batman in space." He would do a fantastic job with the franchise.

That's not Nolan's style, though. He makes movies the way HE wants them to be. The fact that he puts so much realism and character into them is awesome, and if they made a grittier version of Star Wars, he would do a great job. The gritty efficiency of the Dark Knight Trilogy wouldn't translate well into the Lightsaber duels in Star Wars, though. The PT showed that style over substance is what people really want in their "lazor swordfytez". Hell, even I admit that the duels in the Prequels were a lot better than the duels in the OT.

Joss Whedon has shown that he can do gritty realism AND high adventure with style and flash. Firefly and Serenity are prime examples of both. Not to mention the ultimate style and flash he did with The Avengers. Firefly was a great series that wasn't even given half a chance. Serenity was actually a great movie for those who watched the series.

That's not Nolan's style, though. He makes movies the way HE wants them to be. The fact that he puts so much realism and character into them is awesome, and if they made a grittier version of Star Wars, he would do a great job. The gritty efficiency of the Dark Knight Trilogy wouldn't translate well into the Lightsaber duels in Star Wars, though. The PT showed that style over substance is what people really want in their "lazor swordfytez". Hell, even I admit that the duels in the Prequels were a lot better than the duels in the OT.

Joss Whedon has shown that he can do gritty realism AND high adventure with style and flash. Firefly and Serenity are prime examples of both. Not to mention the ultimate style and flash he did with The Avengers. Firefly was a great series that wasn't even given half a chance. Serenity was actually a great movie for those who watched the series.

Honestly, aside from Nolan, I'd like to see Spielberg or Bryan Singer direct. Singer did a great job with his X-Men movies.

Avengers or Firefly are nowhere gritty and realistic...

Singer was good, Vaughn did a good job with First Class also. Aronofsky has a lot of potential too. I would have originally thought Zach Snyder would be good but I think he's too much style and not nearly enough substance.

Really there are lots of capable directors out there today. As long as they don't choose Michael Bay or the Wachowski brothers I'll be optimistic.

Avengers or Firefly are nowhere gritty and realistic...

Firefly actually used real physics for atmospheric flight, unlike Star Wars or Star Trek. Also, I wasn't including The Avengers in with the gritty realistic part. That was the ultimate flash and style portion of my statement. lol

The short list for my wishlist of directors would be either JJ Abrams or Joss. If it is the later, I would recommend Nathan Fillian for the role of Han Solo.

i say no to Nathan Fillian, thougth i love the guy trying to separate han and malcom renalds would be to hard id feel like im watching firefly again.

Firefly actually used real physics for atmospheric flight, unlike Star Wars or Star Trek. Also, I wasn't including The Avengers in with the gritty realistic part. That was the ultimate flash and style portion of my statement. lol

Thats pretty much it...

I'm also puzzled by why you want gritty and realism in SW Movies?

Edited by BrandonSM

Joss Whedon.

This is a guy who knows what geeks want, and I don't think many could dispute that. Yeah, there are some bigger names out there who could probably do okay. But in my opinion, Whedon has a connection with the fans because HE IS ONE himself, and could redeem this franchise after the abysmal prequels.

Thats pretty much it...

I'm also puzzled by why you want gritty and realism in SW Movies?

I was using that as a counterpoint to those who want Nolan directing it. Whedon's grit isn't near as gritty as Nolan's grit. Nolan is the king of Gritty Realism. His grit is grittier than any other grit out there. However, Whedon does flash and style a LOT better than Nolan.

I was using that as a counterpoint to those who want Nolan directing it. Whedon's grit isn't near as gritty as Nolan's grit. Nolan is the king of Gritty Realism. His grit is grittier than any other grit out there. However, Whedon does flash and style a LOT better than Nolan.

I bet if Nolan wanted to he could do Flash and Style really well.

Whedon does flash and style is invalid due to the fact that Nolan doesn't try doing Flash and Style.

I bet if Nolan wanted to he could do Flash and Style really well.

Whedon does flash and style is invalid due to the fact that Nolan doesn't try doing Flash and Style.

Well, the current rumor is that Matthew Vaughn might be tapped to direct the new movie, so this whole argument might be null and void. lol

Besides, flash and style isn't Nolan's style. He prefers the gritty realism he puts into his movies. Hey, he made Batman believable.

Edited by Captain_Zone

Well, the current rumor is that Matthew Vaughn might be tapped to direct the new movie, so this whole argument might be null and void. lol

Besides, flash and style isn't Nolan's style. He prefers the gritty realism he puts into his movies. Hey, he made Batman believable.

Yeah.

I mean, Nolan's Batman's had me actually thinking about being a real Batman.