Disney to aquire Lucasfilm!

Etapi

I'd hope they'd leave the PT/OT saga and characters wrapped up and tacke the eras around that in their upcoming movies. The story of those characters culminated and should be leeft as THE story of the IP.

But alas that's prolly exactly what will happen. Eventhoe it'd be a little like peter jackson making LOTRO 4 about how aragorn, now king, or his son, did some stuff that can't possibly rival what was already achieved without completley trivializing the IP bible that is the book/OT.

Edited by aeterno

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In regards to what is canon, there are different levels. Almost everything can be considered canon. Although Lucas himself has stated that there is his universe, which are the films, and an alternate universe which is everything else.

There is much debate to this day on what is and isn't canon and even the very definition of what canon actually means.

G-canon is absolute canon; the movies (their most recent release), the scripts, the novelizations of the movies, the radio plays, and any statements by George Lucas himself. G-canon overrides the lower levels of canon when there is a contradiction. Within G-canon, many fans follow an unofficial progression of canonicity where the movies are the highest canon, followed by the scripts, the novelizations, and then the radio plays.

T-canon[4] refers to the canon level comprising only the two television shows: Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the Star Wars live-action TV series. Its precedence over C-Level canon was confirmed by Chee.

C-canon is primarily composed of elements from the Expanded Universe including books, comics, and games bearing the label of Star Wars. Games and RPG sourcebooks are a special case; the stories and general background information are themselves fully C-canon, but the other elements such as character/item statistics and gameplay are, with few exceptions, N-canon.

S-canon is secondary canon; the story itself is considered non-continuity, but the non-contradicting elements are still a canon part of the Star Wars universe. This includes things like the online roleplaying game Star Wars: Galaxies and certain elements of a few N-canon stories.

N-canon is non-canon. "What-if" stories (such as stories published under the Star Wars: Infinities label), crossover appearances (such as the Star Wars character appearances in Soulcalibur IV), game statistics, and anything else directly contradicted by higher canon ends up here. N-canon is the only level that is not considered official canon by Lucasfilm. A significant amount of material that was previously C-canon was rendered N-canon by the release of Episodes I–III.

Quotes from Lucas:

"There are two worlds here," explained Lucas. "There’s my world, which is the movies, and there’s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe—the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don’t intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don’t get too involved in the parallel universe."

"I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent."

Judging by the statements above, It's clear he has set certain guidelines. But I don't think he is involved as much as alot of people would like to believe.

In the end, the Disney acquisition will not change much, however what people believe is canon in the future is going to be a long never ending debate.

Edited by Lugosi
punctuation

I'd hope they'd leave the PT/OT saga and characters wrapped up and tacke the eras around that in their upcoming movies. The story of those characters culminated and should be leeft as THE story of the IP.

But alas that's prolly exactly what will happen. Eventhoe it'd be a little like peter jackson making LOTRO 4 about how aragorn, now king, did some stuff that can't possibly rival what he already achieved without completley trivializing the IP bible that is the book/OT.

Let's get some perspective here. LotR is a classic literary masterpiece that will endure forever. Messing with that highly detailed and planned out world is nowhere close to messing with SW "lore", which changes as much as the wind.

Actually it would be more like Ronald Moore making a Battlestar Galactica only loosely based on the original while completely ignoring the horrible sequel, Galactica 1980.

Essentially, what has been written for the EU is considered cannon...until it becomes not-cannon in a movie. Take the backstory of the Death Star if you will. Before Episode II came out, the Death Star design had a pretty elaborate backstory that got pretty much thrown out the window (or retconned beyong belief) when Episode II came out.

Just to establish what is or is not cannon, here's what Lucasfilm has to say on it (via wookiepedia).

■G-canon is George Lucas Canon; the six Episodes and any statements by George Lucas (including unpublished production notes from him or his production department that are never seen by the public). Elements originating with Lucas in the movie novelizations, reference books, and other sources are also G-canon, though anything created by the authors of those sources is C-canon. When the matter of changes between movie versions arises, the most recently released editions are deemed superior to older ones, as they correct mistakes, improve consistency between the two trilogies, and express Lucas's current vision of the Star Wars universe most closely. The deleted scenes included on the DVDs are also considered G-canon (when they're not in conflict with the movie).[1]

■T-canon,[2] or Television Canon[3], refers to the canon level comprising the feature film Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the two television shows Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the Star Wars live-action TV series.[4][5] It was devised recently in order to define a status above the C-Level canon, as confirmed by Chee[6].

■C-canon is Continuity Canon, consisting of all recent works (and many older works) released under the name of Star Wars: books, comics, games, cartoons, non-theatrical films, and more. Games are a special case, as generally only the stories are C-canon, while things like stats and gameplay may not be;[7] they also offer non-canonical options to the player, such as choosing female gender for a canonically male character. C-canon elements have been known to appear in the movies, thus making them G-canon; examples include the name "Coruscant," swoop bikes, Quinlan Vos, Aayla Secura, YT-2400 freighters and Action VI transports.

■S-canon is Secondary Canon; the materials are available to be used or ignored as needed by current authors. This includes mostly older works, such as much of the Marvel Star Wars comics, that predate a consistent effort to maintain continuity; it also contains certain elements of a few otherwise N-canon stories, and other things that "may not fit just right." Many formerly S-canon elements have been elevated to C-canon through their inclusion in more recent works by continuity-minded authors, while many other older works (such as The Han Solo Adventures) were accounted for in continuity from the start despite their age, and thus were always C-canon.

■N is Non-Canon. What-if stories (such as stories published under the Infinities label) and anything else directly and irreconcilably contradicted by higher canon ends up here. N is the only level that is not considered canon by Lucasfilm. Information cut from canon, deleted scenes, or from canceled Star Wars works falls into this category as well, unless another canonical work references it and it is declared canon.

I'm just praying they don't turn it into a cartoon like clone wars...I can't even watch that junk lol -_- When I think od disney I think of like....cartoons ya know...CGI cartoons lol

Rest assured, Disney is MUCH different from that. Look at Avengers, Pirates Series, etc

But weren't Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford great? I think Lucas made a good call there - whatever his reasons were - i think he wanted to make it more unique, not have actors where you think, hey its that guy from that. I'm all for more unheard actors, as long as they are good.

Harrison Ford was great, but Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher were, and let's be honest, not anywhere near A list actors. Even Harrison was a bit of an unknown when the first Star Wars film came out. He was in American Grafitti and a few bit parts, but it was his first major role in a big film. His career afterwards speaks to his greatness.

Hayden Christiansen was a mistake. I wouldn't call him the worst actor I have ever seen, but I think there were much better choices out there for that role. Another bad casting choice was Mace Windu. Granted, Samul Jackson is an awesome actor, but that role was wrong for him. He would have been much better if he were cast to play a sith. It would have let loose his darker side, which he plays very well.

Lots of responses in this thread. I haven't read through all of them. But what do you think this means for LucasArts and SWTOR?

Disney is a very hands-on company and I don't see them standing on the sideline as EA runs the game into the ground and drives customers away. I can see Disney Interactive ordering LA to take swift action to either save the game, or close it down.

One thing that's a bit disconcerting was the statement from DI (Disney Interactive) saying that their main focus will be social media gaming (like Farmville) and mobile gaming. They may see SWTOR has a huge financial liability and decide to sunset it.

On the flipside, if this game turns around and the F2P model turns it into a cash cow, I can absolutely see Disney putting their full weight behind it and giving BioWare everything they need to make it more successful.

Exciting and uncertain times. I guess we'll have to just wait and see

Harrison Ford was great, but Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher were, and let's be honest, not anywhere near A list actors. Even Harrison was a bit of an unknown when the first Star Wars film came out. He was in American Grafitti and a few bit parts, but it was his first major role in a big film. His career afterwards speaks to his greatness.

Hayden Christiansen was a mistake. I wouldn't call him the worst actor I have ever seen, but I think there were much better choices out there for that role. Another bad casting choice was Mace Windu. Granted, Samul Jackson is an awesome actor, but that role was wrong for him. He would have been much better if he were cast to play a sith. It would have let loose his darker side, which he plays very well.

The problem was never the acting, it was always the writing.

George's dialog and direction made Natalie Portman, Ewan MacGregor, Liam Neeson, etc. look like horrible actors. That's not easy to do.

You are making assumptions on when Episode 7 takes place.

I submit to the argument, the recent "Star Trek" reboot. New actors, same characters. Could a good script, good directing, and good acting make someone else a convincing Luke, Leia or Han?

George's dialog and direction made Natalie Portman, Ewan MacGregor, Liam Neeson, etc. look like horrible actors. That's not easy to do.

Yeah, I love what Harrison Ford said at GL's lifetime achievement award dinner: "George, you can write this [crap], but you can't say it."

Surely now that they are 4.05 Billion dollars invested in the franchise they will have interest in what goes on here. Should we expect major changes from that influence over the next few years, or do you think they will pretty much let Bioware and EA do whatever they want? Edited by Pcolapat

I doubt we'll notice any difference at all in terms of the game. Afterall Lucasarts didn't do much with this in the first place. In fact overall I think, despite it being massive news, much wont change, except for the obvious push for more Star Wars movies :p

Pretty sure they'll let them do whatever they want, content-wise. Disney doesn't seem to be dictating what Marvel does with their individual comics.
There are Marvel readers who think otherwise. Though even based on Marvel, we would only see something affecting this game if Disney decided to use this game for other stuff. For example, if Disney was going to make a show based on this, or bring out toys, we might see stuff being added that just happened to be in those other things.

I think you'll end up pleased then. My guess is they have to revive the original characters (re-casting them). They could move 20-30yrs into the future, but I don't think Disney is interested in selling Luke action figures when he's an old man...as a kid, NOBODY wanted to play "Ben" Kenobi.

i did, Ben was a wise old man who seemed very powerful.

i dont think they would need to recast r2 or 3po unless they both said no (and r2 was cgi in the PT anyway)

George is an amazing story teller. One of the best ever. But yeah... his dialogue and his directing are terrible. I think he started out as an editor if I'm not mistaken... with his ex-wife.

Disney isn't going to change anything here, at least not in the next few years. Welcome to real life.

EA/Bioware have sole ownership over product development. They have a full creative license. Lucasfilms (or art, or whatever) simply skim profits off the top for the name. There may have been a loose outline of what Bioware can and cannot do with the story, but that was approved a long time ago.

come on,,ANH has some HORRIBLE acting(not all of it) from ALL parts,,even from guiness

yes the writing can be quirky,,but after seeing branagh in henry V ,,we can see that it CAN be done