[Guide] Sentinel PvP

Rankith

Great general guide.

For Combat spec:

About half the time its safe to omit zealous slash from the rotation as you will likely have quite a bit of focus. You may find yourself pushing it way back in the rotation - giving priority to harder hitting strikes.

For higher level combat rotations, you will want to stick in a blade rush prior to any blade storm and probably use slash less.

If you have not spec'ed for the 15% increase in crit for slash you can pretty much replace slash with blade rush.

Edited by tk-fourtwentyone

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great general guide.

For Combat spec:

About half the time its safe to omit zealous slash from the rotation as you will likely have quite a bit of focus. You may find yourself pushing it way back in the rotation - giving priority to harder hitting strikes.

For higher level combat rotations, you will want to stick in a blade rush prior to any blade storm and probably use slash less.

If you have not spec'ed for the 15% increase in crit for slash you can pretty much replace slash with blade rush.

You take Slash of your bars if you are level 40+ and combat.

I noticed you recommended Precision Slash + Blade Storm, but I go a different route. For the Combat Tree, I use the following combos:

Blade Rush + Blade Storm: Blade rush automatically triggers an Ataru strike. Ataru strike automatically triggers Combat Trance. Combat Trance automatically crits Blade Storm. The result is if you use Blade Rush followed by Blade Storm, it crits EVERY TIME.

Precision Slash + Master Strike: This will even catch tanks off guard. Since Master Strike auto-roots at high level, start with Precision Slash to get the 100% armor penetration. Then use Master Strike to unleash your highest DPS burst at 100% penetration. You'll be able to finish Master Strike and still have time to get in a Blade Storm as well!

I noticed you recommended Precision Slash + Blade Storm, but I go a different route. For the Combat Tree, I use the following combos:

Blade Rush + Blade Storm: Blade rush automatically triggers an Ataru strike. Ataru strike automatically triggers Combat Trance. Combat Trance automatically crits Blade Storm. The result is if you use Blade Rush followed by Blade Storm, it crits EVERY TIME.

Precision Slash + Master Strike: This will even catch tanks off guard. Since Master Strike auto-roots at high level, start with Precision Slash to get the 100% armor penetration. Then use Master Strike to unleash your highest DPS burst at 100% penetration. You'll be able to finish Master Strike and still have time to get in a Blade Storm as well!

Excellent suggestions. I simply wanted to outline the basic ideas but these are both great things to do when the situation warrants.

As to sticky, I have no idea how to get something stickied lol.

Great post, realy well writen.

I do dislike that you dont focus much around "Master Strike", as its seems you tell people to use it when they need to get that extra damage while not having enought focus. To be honest its a beast, at least since beta I have had it rearly interupted in PvP. So it is realy great especialy in big fights, where people cant follow what you do.

I also dont get why you dont spec for "Defencive Roll" (30% less AoE damage) when you spec Combat (Or for that mater any spec). I mean sure its not to hard to evade AoE as it is in game now, but its still 30% less damage. And even if you are good and can evade most AoE attacks, there are still alote that you get hit by. So I myself would recommend at least rethink about this ability.

But this is your guid, so does not realy mater what I mean ;P

Edited by OldxLady

Great post, realy well writen.

I do dislike that you dont focus much around "Master Strike", as its seems you tell people to use it when they need to get that extra damage while not having enought focus. To be honest its a beast, at least since beta I have had it rearly interupted in PvP. So it is realy great especialy in big fights, where people cant follow what you do.

I also dont get why you dont spec for "Defencive Roll" (30% less AoE damage) when you spec Combat (Or for that mater any spec). I mean sure its not to hard to evade AoE as it is in game now, but its still 30% less damage. And even if you are good and can evade most AoE attacks, there are still alote that you get hit by. So I myself would recommend at least rethink about this ability.

But this is your guid, so does not realy mater what I mean ;P

The main reason I don't Master Strike much is because most of the time, i'd rather be using one of the normal short CD moves in my rotation (cauterize, merc slash. Blade storm, precision slash), or building more focus so I can use those moves when they come off CD. Also, I play watchman 90% of the time, so its a little tilted as watchman can be quite focus starved so I'm constantly making sure I have plenty of focus. Master strike is definately more usable as combat.

Combat has lots of other places to put those talents, and in PvP the only AoEs that get thrown around are knock backs, which don't do alot of damage (And death from above). Taking 30% less on these just doesn't seem worth the investment.

no comments in OP about a focus tree pvp build? just starting a sentinel so I'm reading everything I can.

Focus revolves around buffing one aoe move that you can do every 9 seconds at most buffed. The slow is nice, but an 18sec cd, and Zealous leap is pretty good for helping you stay on target. That said, you lose the lockdown of combat or the high damage and healer killingness of watchman for it. Its still viable of course, I just don't like it and have such not played enough to confidently write anything for others to read.

Dinged level 50 yesterday and played Combat up til now, but I will most probably try out Focus today.

Combat is abit of a lackluster I've noticed, simply because the abilities does not do enough damage. You are so reliant on Master Strike to do any burst, aswell as Blade Storm. Bladestorm still hits lower then my level 35 assassin mates Backstab, which is quite a joke imo.

I really like the tree, but before they buff the general damage of Ataru hits etc I do not think it will be viable since the damage is a lackluster.

Sure, it might get better later on with full gear etc, but most classes seems to do alot better then me with worse gear, hopefully is the specc.

I agree with your first point but disagree with the second. Master strike is pretty buggy in warzone pvp and only works about 1/3 of the time I'd say. It's so bad right now that Im actually spec'ing out of the immobilze for now till its fixed and freeing up those points.

I find myself using percision slash, blade rush and blade storm in combination. I'd say its about a 20% damage buff overall depending on their armor.

Excellent guide. A couple of things I want to suggest/add. You don't take defensive forms And I believe this to be a mistake. Defensive form provides 1 centering every 1.5 sec while taking hits and improves your defense which is something we sorely lack. More centering is more damage and healing or a defensive cd and run speed. You give all that up for five focus over the course of a minute and that assumes you hit charge on cd. The math just doesn't work for me. I say skip the 1 focus on charge and take defensive forms. This is watchman spec I haven't tried combat. Someone might say to skip crusader instead but crusader only needs 15 seconds of uptime to be equal to 1 focus on charge. 18 seconds to be better than it. No reason not to take it and these are both perfect leveling talents.

Speaking of leveling understand that this guide is 50 only while leveling and pvp'ing you need to be able to dynamically fill in the gaps there are because you lack the listed ability. Don't take this as a bad thing or think you can't pvp till fifty. You do yourself a supreme disservice. Pvp'ing before fifty Is your only and best way to ease you into the watchman playstyle. All the things you need to watch for and anticipate. You do yourself a favor getting some practice in early on. I recommend pvp'ing enough to get the level twenty set around level twenty and your level forty set around that same level. Always good to have a warm up.

I'm at work and posting this on my phone so I'll post more at home later. I sincerely believe that defensive forms is the better talent though. Particularly in any situation in which you might be taking damage.

Edited by Spideyknight

Excellent guide. A couple of things I want to suggest/add. You don't take defensive forms And I believe this to be a mistake. Defensive form provides 1 centering every 1.5 sec while taking hits and improves your defense which is something we sorely lack. More centering is more damage and healing or a defensive cd and run speed. You give all that up for five focus over the course of a minute and that assumes you hit charge on cd. The math just doesn't work for me. I say skip the 1 focus on charge and take defensive forms. This is watchman spec I haven't tried combat. Someone might say to skip crusader instead but crusader only needs 15 seconds of uptime to be equal to 1 focus on charge. 18 seconds to be better than it. No reason not to take it and these are both perfect leveling talents.

I've been switching this around a bit lately and am going to edit the OP once I finally come to rest on my favorite. I left it out originally as I have 30 centering very fast as it is, of course faster isn't bad though. I'm also very attached to the 4 focus on charge as it allows me to overload saber whenever I charge and have 1 focus left for a kick.

Right now I'm plying without the dual wield spec skill also as the damage loss seems quite minimal.

what crew skills should be used?

I think I mentioned this in the general tips section, but I went Cybertech/Scavenging/Underwolrd trading for the re-usable CC grenade to make up for that lacking of the class.

Biochem is fun too.

I just want to ask you this because im making a sent and id like to know how you bind your keys. Im new to mmo's and I was told to rebind the keys and i was wondering how i should do it? Would i do 1,2,3,4 since theyre easy to hit on the wasd keys and then q,e,r,a,f,z,x,c, then also shift of all the above and the wasd?

If you want to be competitive in pvp you need to biochem, especially as a sentinel...

I have a rakata medpac which heals me for 6k instantly with an aditional hot of 2k... its an 8k heal in total. I pop it right after I use guarded by the force and its borderline imba... I don't die...

Additionally when I have my rakata adrenal I will have either an aditional 565 surge or 565 crit... That surge will make my dot ticks as a watchman with zen up hit like an absolute truck..

So yeah... if you aren't biochem you're at a disadvantage and a sizable one.

Dinged level 50 yesterday and played Combat up til now, but I will most probably try out Focus today.

Combat is abit of a lackluster I've noticed, simply because the abilities does not do enough damage. You are so reliant on Master Strike to do any burst, aswell as Blade Storm. Bladestorm still hits lower then my level 35 assassin mates Backstab, which is quite a joke imo.

I really like the tree, but before they buff the general damage of Ataru hits etc I do not think it will be viable since the damage is a lackluster.

Sure, it might get better later on with full gear etc, but most classes seems to do alot better then me with worse gear, hopefully is the specc.

Combat is viable, at least with good gear. I've done 475k in a warzone as combat which is a little bit less than what i've done with watchman, but combat is certainly viable.

Watchman seems to have a stronger burst but its harder to stay in range as watchman. Combat can hit very hard, particularly with precision strike up + zen and spamming your blade rush you can tear people apart.

Both are certainly viable right now. I think watchman is a bit better, i mean i usually do 60 to 100k healing so that has to be factored in...

Should be interesting to see what happens after ataru is buffed/fixed...

Combat is viable, at least with good gear. I've done 475k in a warzone as combat which is a little bit less than what i've done with watchman, but combat is certainly viable.

Watchman seems to have a stronger burst but its harder to stay in range as watchman. Combat can hit very hard, particularly with precision strike up + zen and spamming your blade rush you can tear people apart.

Both are certainly viable right now. I think watchman is a bit better, i mean i usually do 60 to 100k healing so that has to be factored in...

Should be interesting to see what happens after ataru is buffed/fixed...

Finally got a good weapon and a few other pieces, and tried combat again, works fine now. But I dont know what I want to play, because the utility from Watchman is insane whilst combat has abit bigger burst.