[Guide] Sentinel PvP

Rankith

Finally got a good weapon and a few other pieces, and tried combat again, works fine now. But I dont know what I want to play, because the utility from Watchman is insane whilst combat has abit bigger burst.

Watchman is nice for the heals, but realize that if you're playing competitive pvp (rated warzones or something in the future I hope) then you will be with good healers so that 2% tick, while somewhat useful, really isn't going to make THAT much of a difference in terms of keeping people alive.

Our role is to kill people, and particularly to lock up healers, and I think combat can fill that role a bit better than watchman can, but time will tell its still very early to be making judgements.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watchman is nice for the heals, but realize that if you're playing competitive pvp (rated warzones or something in the future I hope) then you will be with good healers so that 2% tick, while somewhat useful, really isn't going to make THAT much of a difference in terms of keeping people alive.

Our role is to kill people, and particularly to lock up healers, and I think combat can fill that role a bit better than watchman can, but time will tell its still very early to be making judgements.

Thats just not true.

The 2% is HUGE. Its 2% a sec, on a 6s burn. Esp with higher centering building for watchman. Zen ought to be up alot.

Add in force camo, gaurded by the force.

you have 12000 life. 2% is 240/s. Getting those heals while you are invul, or invis. Is game changing.

Then add in over the course of your 12000 hp. It easily gives you an effective hp of 18000+

Heals are halved in PvP.

Edit:

Not completely positive that the Watchman heal ticks are halved (they are %age based, which is probably calculated before the PvP trauma, but could be possibly be afterward), but it definitely seems like it.

Edited by EasymodeX

Heals are halved in PvP.

Edit:

Not completely positive that the Watchman heal ticks are halved (they are %age based, which is probably calculated before the PvP trauma, but could be possibly be afterward), but it definitely seems like it.

Probably are, I know my resolute 10% heal is.

Trauma is only 30% innate though. Sent crippling throw is needed to stack to 50%.

Thats just not true.

The 2% is HUGE. Its 2% a sec, on a 6s burn. Esp with higher centering building for watchman. Zen ought to be up alot.

Add in force camo, gaurded by the force.

you have 12000 life. 2% is 240/s. Getting those heals while you are invul, or invis. Is game changing.

Then add in over the course of your 12000 hp. It easily gives you an effective hp of 18000+

I don't feel like arguing about it... if thats the way you see it fine.

For the ability and cooldown usage section are those all the viable moves in pvp excluding a few?

Its not the full list no, its just cooldowns and important moves I thought deserved a paragraph. That doesnt really include your damage moves so much.

I feel like you should take another look at the Focus tree. I have a 50 marauder and I can crit huge smashes and do some solid burst. Charge + Choke after a knockback, then smash and scream and they're usually below half before they can even start fighting back.

Smash (Sweep) may be on a 9 second cooldown, but that isn't nearly as long as it sounds, and it makes for some great on-demand burst.

That said, I just rerolled Sentinel (was sick of getting huttball 9/10 games) and I'm definitely going to give the other specs a try. So far I'm not a fan of Watchman, but I'm also not at all used to keeping burns up, so it's weird getting used to an entirely different playstyle when I spent level 27-50 just smashing all day.

Anywho, point is, I feel like you aren't giving Focus a fair shake, but since I haven't actually personally tried the other two trees at a decent level, I can't say for sure. I'll have more info on it soon I suppose.

I feel like you should take another look at the Focus tree. I have a 50 marauder and I can crit huge smashes and do some solid burst. Charge + Choke after a knockback, then smash and scream and they're usually below half before they can even start fighting back.

Smash (Sweep) may be on a 9 second cooldown, but that isn't nearly as long as it sounds, and it makes for some great on-demand burst.

That said, I just rerolled Sentinel (was sick of getting huttball 9/10 games) and I'm definitely going to give the other specs a try. So far I'm not a fan of Watchman, but I'm also not at all used to keeping burns up, so it's weird getting used to an entirely different playstyle when I spent level 27-50 just smashing all day.

Anywho, point is, I feel like you aren't giving Focus a fair shake, but since I haven't actually personally tried the other two trees at a decent level, I can't say for sure. I'll have more info on it soon I suppose.

I definately think focus has its place and use. I just don't particularly care for it in the (admittedly) limited play Ive had, although those big sweeps were fun haha.

Regarding watchman, ive actually been kinda sad about it lately now that all my friends are 50 again, I cant top damage cause stuff dies in the time I overload saber and cauterize and one more hit >< so not dot ticks lol. Course, this doesnt really matter :p.

Edited by Rankith

I definately think focus has its place and use. I just don't particularly care for it in the (admittedly) limited play Ive had, although those big sweeps were fun haha.

Regarding watchman, ive actually been kinda sad about it lately now that all my friends are 50 again, I cant top damage cause stuff dies in the time I overload saber and cauterize and one more hit >< so not dot ticks lol.

Yeah, the big sweeps are awesome, and with both Stasis and Exhaustion you can actually pump them out fairly regularly, but like I said I have yet to really try the other trees and I guess I'll see how much I like them if and when I do so. I just know I'll miss critting entire teams for 3k with no buffs besides class buffs.

Im talking about watchman

You have Zealous strike and strike for building focus, try to use Zealous on cd. Then you have overload saber, cauterize and merciless slash as your focus spenders. Try to have the focus for overload and merciless slash when they come off cd so you can use them right away, and use cauterize whenever its up but NOT on target as it does not stack. See the dealing damage section in op for more detail

okay thanks for the help this may be an odd question but it would really help me out. This is my first time doing a melee dps and it seems like its hard to use the shift keys to deal dmg in warzones because they kite you. You don't need to go into great length but what hotkeys do you use?

okay thanks for the help this may be an odd question but it would really help me out. This is my first time doing a melee dps and it seems like its hard to use the shift keys to deal dmg in warzones because they kite you. You don't need to go into great length but what hotkeys do you use?

guess it cant hurt, ill add this to main post too.

ESDF for movement:

E: Forwards

D: Back

S: Strafe Left

F: Strafe Right

Then my main keys are (in this order): R, A, G, T, 3, Y, Q, W, Z, C, V, B, and shift modifiers. Also, for watchmen I have the middle of my top bar arranged with: Merciless Slash, Cauterize, Zealous Strike, Overload Saber, Force Leap so I can easily see all the CDS on them at a glance. I also have moves that are similar/make sense together on similar binds. For example, strike is R and Zealous Strike is Shift+R. Force leap is T and Overload Saber is Shift+T so I can hit it easily in sequence. Here is my full list of keybinds, mostly unorganized:

1: Force Camoflauge

2: Cyclone Slash

3: Merciless Slash

Shift+3: Master Strike

4: Pacify

6: Awe:

A: Slash

G: Cauterize

Q: Rebuke

Shift+Q: Saber ward

W: Crippling throw

Shift+W: Riposte

R: Strike

Shift+R: Zealous Strike

T: Force Leap

Shift+T: Overload Saber

Y: Dispatch

Z: Guarded by the Force

Shift+A: Zen

Alt+A: Transendence

V: Force Stasis

Shift+V: CC Grenade

C: Leg Slash

Shift+C: Disable Droid

B: Blade Storm

Middle Mouse: Inspiration

H: Valorous Call

X: Sprint

Shift+X: Mount

Shift+Mouse Scroll Up: Relic 1

Shift+Mouse Scroll Down: Relic 2

Alt+Mouse Scroll Up: PVP Stim

Alt+Mouse Scroll Down: PVP Med Pack

Mouse 4: Force Kick

Mouse 5: Throw Huttball

Ctrl+1: Shii-cho form

Ctrl+2: Juyo form

Shift+H: Call on the force

Can't you just buy the biochem stuff? No need to take the profession when you can get all the perks from it with a few creds.

I can't tear myself away from the off-hand damage talent. I know it maybe small but as a former rogue it reminds me of dual wep spec and I just can't be without it.

Perfect guide! Playing Marauder atm in Carnage (Combat) spec.

Thanks a lot, I'll try some of your tips. Recently I'm looking for a rage spec for more mobility, have you tried it?

Tips about keybinds from 2200+ RBG and Arena WoW-Rogue:

The one small thing i disagree with you: your keybinds aren't optimal:

1. All CC and ranged abilities should be mapped on separate keys withot any mods (like CTRL and SHIFT). The game itself still has no secondary (focus) target, but *** soon as it gets u will be in a bad place pushing CTRL+SHIFT+T for example.

2. All your def abilities should be mapped on esilly reached keys like Z, X, C, V, B. You may use mods, but not for the most crusial abilities, like Saberward, Cloack of Pain or Force Camo.

Could you please adapt this guide for Marauders?

Edited by ZakPreston

Perfect guide! Playing Marauder atm in Carnage (Combat) spec.

Thanks a lot, I'll try some of your tips. Recently I'm looking for a rage spec for more mobility, have you tried it?

Tips about keybinds from 2200+ RBG and Arena WoW-Rogue:

The one small thing i disagree with you: your keybinds aren't optimal:

1. All CC and ranged abilities should be mapped on separate keys withot any mods (like CTRL and SHIFT). The game itself still has no secondary (focus) target, but *** soon as it gets u will be in a bad place pushing CTRL+SHIFT+T for example.

2. All your def abilities should be mapped on esilly reached keys like Z, X, C, V, B. You may use mods, but not for the most crusial abilities, like Saberward, Cloack of Pain or Force Camo.

Could you please adapt this guide for Marauders?

Regarding the keybinds, the only things im concerned about for focus target are: Force Leap, Force Stasis, Force Kick, Crippling Throw(Combat), Leg Slash. And those are all on non modified keys. Hit shift is also quite natural for me and I really like some of the shift keybinds. To each their own of course.

As far as a rage/focus spec goes for mobility, I don't find it more mobile really. You get zealous leap but it costs 3 focus and is only 10m range, so you need to keep 3 focus up if you think you are going to need to use it to close the gap soon. Also, in trade of zealous you get 3 seconds off and closer range on force leap, or the force camo root break + another immobilize out of combat so I don't think its more mobile really. That said, I tried focus again yesterday all day and had quite alot of fun! Im going to play it more this weekend and modify the OP to include some focus stuff.

I'll convert this to Marauder too at some point.

So played lotsa focus yesterday and today. Updated OP with my thoughts on spec/strategy and other regarding focus.

I noted the "least mobile" note on focus. and I think thats wrong. I think combats the worst really.

Focus has the +40% after zleap. And its massive trollolol. o f+10 centering after transcendence. Trans is great for pvp focus. While we've all gotten used to using Zen, and its pretty common logic that focus's zen of free aoe slashes are amazing.(and they are.) in pvp that aoe +10% defense is beast. Bear in mind that's dodge/parry, not 10% more armor. And of course the +move. kiting like a boss, for your healers, and even you.

Focus isn't entirely a melee spec. force crush, stasis, blade storm, zleap, even sweep are all 10m skills, crippling throw, dispatch. Force crush slow. Focus can kill another melee class out of melee range, dealing a good 90% of their damage out of the 4m melee range.

The full effect doesn't come into play until late of course. having the points for def forms +centering. +10 centering after transcendence.

between 7% +mit in shi-cho, and 10% defense with transcendence, and 45s cd guarded by the force, focus also has serious defensive potential.