Ask a Mercenary thread 2.0

Werdan

Werdan thanks for reposting the topic! It was really useful back in the beta.

I need an opinion regarding crew skills.

Basically, I can't decide between Biochem and Cybertech.

I'm aiming the crew skills to PVP, even though I like high end PVE a lot. I believe either would be the best available skill for the situation, since i'll probably be able to suit up some nice gear from the PVE.

What would be better for PVP, the cool dmg/CC grenades or the medpacks/stims ?

Thanks!

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Werdan thanks for reposting the topic! It was really useful back in the beta.

I need an opinion regarding crew skills.

Basically, I can't decide between Biochem and Cybertech.

I'm aiming the crew skills to PVP, even though I like high end PVE a lot. I believe either would be the best available skill for the situation, since i'll probably be able to suit up some nice gear from the PVE.

What would be better for PVP, the cool dmg/CC grenades or the medpacks/stims ?

Thanks!

I'm going bio right now, but damn those 'nades look good. So far my bio is only level 24 and the recipes look a little sparse. It's still early enough for me to drop it for Cybertech. I need to take a good hard look at the trainer when I get back in game tonight.

I'm going bio right now, but damn those 'nades look good. So far my bio is only level 24 and the recipes look a little sparse. It's still early enough for me to drop it for Cybertech. I need to take a good hard look at the trainer when I get back in game tonight.

Using darth hater as source, it looks like that by end game you'll be able to have basically an awesome, infinite, 5-6k healing medpac, alongside with your favorite stim and an adernal, both awesome and infinite as well. But then I think that is pretty much it.

The question is:

Based on your merc PVP experience, do you think these extra stats and having this OHCRAP healing button would be more effective than having grenades that will grant you more damage and CC options?

I know this question is a tricky one, sorry if its still to early for you to give a shot at it, :p

And thanks in advance!

Edited by Innk

Thanks for these posts, they really are helpful and fun to read through for people like myself, yet to see any in game time. I was wondering what the difference in damage output between a full arsenal DPS spec, and this hybrid spec? I've always been a min/maxer, but I really like what you are saying about this spec you have been using. Thanks in advance!

Hi all, and congratulations for this really extended guide. I've tried to check out the old thread posted now via GDocs but did not find response to my question, which I'm sure it's been already answered before...

Are the Bounty Hunters, either Powertechs or Mercenaries, able to kill players in "bounty hunting" missions? I come from SWG, and there you could try to get down other players accepting missions on a BH Mission Terminal, that was just cool. Is this feature implemented in SWTOR too? Also, if it is, Mercenaries are the right ones to go 1on1? I've already seen that it may be better an Assa or an Operative, but they cannot accept these type of Bounty Hunting missions, right?

Thanks!

ALRIGHT so i was in the beta weekends for like 2 week and i got my merc to lv 26, heres the thing with merc its glass cannon type deal either you blow your opponent up or you get blow up. why do you do a hybrid spec? does it still allow insane dps while healing tot he max like the inquis spec with innervate then the rest of the points in the dps tree?

honestly thought i would preffer goign straight down ars then goign a bit into each other tree, seem liek the best blow nerds up fast pvp build and also for pve :p

I missed the stress test due to RL (hate when that happens) and all I knew was that I wanted to play a BH. I didn't know much else. I have been playing RPGs, MUDs, and MMOs for over 20 yrs and I always eventually leaned towards a hybrid dps/healer whenever viable. I wasn't sure if this was possible in SWTOR but after your post, I am even more geeked out and ready to play and obsessively checking my email for early access:rolleyes:

Thanks for your time and sharing your already extensive experience and knowledge into this class. It saves alot of trial & error that I'd rather have spent playing my class effectively and efficiently. I look forward to more of your insight and expertise on the Merc BH.

:ph_cheers:

Of the three tanking companions, is their a quantifiable game mechanic difference or does it all come down to picking Skadge or one of two ugly ones?

There are only two tanking companions, one melee and one ranged. There are also two DPS companions, one melee and one ranged. And there's also a healer, Mako, of course. It really depends on your playstyle. Since I plan to be a ranged DPS merc focusing on the arsenal tree, I want Skadge to be my companion since he's the melee tank.

Edited by bobafetea

Warden,

Thanks for the continuing support of the BH Community. Two things...

1) Thinking of this build for mostly PvE, jumping into a BG here and there... mostly DPS w/ a little healing util. Any thoughts?

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300bfRZrIkbordRkcz.1

2) In your OP, you don't really talk about Rail Shot much, and I don't see it get much love in merc decisions. With a spec like this, It ends up costing only 8 heat w/ HVGC and does an extra 30% damage w/ max'd out Tracer Locks. Seems like great damage per heat. Thoughts?

:ph_thank_you:

Edited by jkmalnar

Thanks again Werdan for the community support you provide.

I was wondering if you could delve into this in a little more detail?

...The very lowest I'd go is maybe 18-19 points (to get Critical Efficiency). This would allow me to get Arsenal Skills like Tracer Lock and Riddle.

I'd specifically like to know which bodyguard skills you would give up to get riddle and tracer lock. Also which Arsenal skills are the next most useful build up to those 2 skills?