Ask a Mercenary thread 2.0

Werdan

I'm currently doing cybertech with slicing and underworld trading. Is it better to choose underworld trading instead of scavenging?

I don't remember the suggested skills for Cybertech but I don't see why you'd need both slicing and UT. Open your codex (press L then choose the codex tab on the bottom) and select crew skills. Click on Cybertech and it should tell you exactly which skills to take with it. If not, click on the gathering and mission skills and it will tell you there.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got one recently and I'm around level 16. I think the mission came from a terminal. I don't like the way it looks though. I went into my preferences and turned it off until I get a more battle/mandalorian looking helmet.
Ik I have it now and I LOVE IT! the mercenary helm looks awsome for me and the stats on that thing are sufficient for now

I don't remember the suggested skills for Cybertech but I don't see why you'd need both slicing and UT. Open your codex (press L then choose the codex tab on the bottom) and select crew skills. Click on Cybertech and it should tell you exactly which skills to take with it. If not, click on the gathering and mission skills and it will tell you there.

I'm a Merc BH with Slicing, Cybertech, and Scavenging. My Slicing is nearing 400, while my Cybertech and Scav are nearing 300.

I wish I'd chosen Underworld Trading over Scavenging at level 10! I wish this a thousand times! The metals from scavenging are pretty cheap to buy, and you can't build ANY of the good stuff without Underworld Trading metals.

Slicing is a must-have for me, at least until max level. Do you like money? I love money. By the time I'm 34 (level 33 right now), my Slicing will be maxed, and each successful lockbox score is anywhere from 1-5k credits when I send my companions out. When you have 5 companions to send out on Slicing missions, imagine the number of credits/hour ratio while you're off doing fun things. It also gives lots of schematics for Cybertech, as well as unlocking missions for other professions. I can't stress enough how awesome Slicing has been so far.

So, if you're going Cybertech and you want to win.. Cybertech, Underworld Trading, Slicing. Buy the green Scavenging metals from the AH or from guildies.

I want to make some Arsenal Macros with my Razer Naga to make keeping track of abilities a little easier. Any suggestions for good combos? I really like the Unload + Power Shot suggestion above, for example.

I was wondering if you could explain to me what Stabilizer passive is suppose to be about. I just don't seem to understand it and when I am fighting I don't see anything different. Thanks

in this, and most MMOs there is a thing called Pushback

it when you have a cast time ability, and you see the case bar, and maybe its almost done casting, and you get hit by an enemy. The hit causes the cast time to be "pushed back"

causing the ability to take longer to go off

You will likely notice this when trying to spam heal yourself and you are getting whacked and have a hard time getting the heals off

Stabilizers reduce this pushback effect on non healing abilities. surgical precision

does the same thing for heals

hope that answers your question

I thought you couldn't have Slicing and Scavenging together.?.?

Edited by Qune

I thought you couldn't have Slicing and Scavenging together.?.?

You can, the only place your limited I believe is that you can't have two "crafting" skills. As far as cybertech goes if I'm not mistaken... Scavaging is where you pickup the raw materials for crafting. You get special metals from underworld trading that are needed for high quality items (blues and purples).

At the moment, Scavaged materials are pretty cheap on the Auction block. However, I believe if current trends continue, and more and more people drop scavaging for slicing. Your going to see a increase in the price of the raw materials. So just keep that in mind. Plus if everyone and their brother take slicing I'd bet it's going to be nerfed into oblivion.

Which is ''better'' for a Mercenary DD (Arsenal) to stack, crit or power? I tend to face this choice quite often when getting new gear.

Arsenal is crit-dependent due to Terminal Velocity. It is in your best interest to stack crit at this point. It is not currently known when/if power will overtake crit.

At the moment, Scavaged materials are pretty cheap on the Auction block. However, I believe if current trends continue, and more and more people drop scavaging for slicing. Your going to see a increase in the price of the raw materials. So just keep that in mind. Plus if everyone and their brother take slicing I'd bet it's going to be nerfed into oblivion.

To me, that's all the more reason to jump on that wagon now and become a millionaire before the bomb is dropped.

Don't worry about slicing. Everyone only looks at the income, but don't calculate how much they spend. If you pick up slicing, you give up 1 gather profession, that means when you craft, you have to buy mats on the auction. Since a lot of people are going to get slicing that means mat prices are going to be high, so all that money you made from slicing goes into buying mats that you could have gotten for free (more or less) if you had a gathering profession instead.

I think it's all going to even out at end-game. It's hard to judge when everyone is still leveling and the market isn't stable yet.

I want to make some Arsenal Macros with my Razer Naga to make keeping track of abilities a little easier. Any suggestions for good combos? I really like the Unload + Power Shot suggestion above, for example.

Here are a few I'd like to make. These are mostly for level 50 and some require certain pieces of gear of items.

Energy Shield+Kolto Overload. I'm going to get hit anyway which is why I popped shield. Might as well start the healing. A variation of this would be to start with Determination (break CC ability).

Power Surge+Thermal Sensor Override. Free heat and instant cast on next ability. WOW. I'd probably make at least a few variants of this such as

+Fusion Missile or Missile Blast (MB)

+Fusion Missile +Explosive Dart or MB+ED

+Rapid Scan+Kolto Shell

Electro Dart+Rail Shot is one you can make relatively early on.

Reusable health pack+PvP health stim. At level 50 this should heal you for a ton of health. This could also be strung along with the Evergy Shield versions listed above.

Critical Relic item+Critical stim. You can start getting these relics around level 16 if I'm not mistaken. The stims can start as early as level 8 but require the appropriate biochem level to use. I currently have the level 32 relic and stim and can raise my crit and surge by about 8% for around 15s (I have to double check).

There are peobably a few more but these are the one's I can think of off the top of my head.

Which is ''better'' for a Mercenary DD (Arsenal) to stack, crit or power? I tend to face this choice quite often when getting new gear.

Stack crit and surge whenever possible. Power scales well and will provide more consistent numbers, but crit/surge can give you some huge individual numbers.

Not sure if this has been asked, and I'm too lazy to read the entire post. But...

In regards to heavy Tracer Missile usage, how much crit should we be shooting for at 50?

At level 43 I have around 30% crit and would like to get around 35-40% at level 50 without an IA buff. With a crit relic and stim, it should be fairly easy to get a short term buff for 50-60% crit.

EDIT: it got sticky-ed, i didn't notice that!!! Congrats :D

Wow, thanks. Sorry haven't been in here to update but been kinda busy leveling and all. :) Should hit 50 tonight or early tomorrow. When I do get the chance, I'll update my original post with my impressions of Biochem and some slight changes I've made to the leveling process.

Wow, thanks. Sorry haven't been in here to update but been kinda busy leveling and all. :) Should hit 50 tonight or early tomorrow. When I do get the chance, I'll update my original post with my impressions of Biochem and some slight changes I've made to the leveling process.

As here, I'm not on the forums as much because I'm busy playing :) Don't rush :D your posts are always amazing and thanks for all the hard work

I have a question about level 40 pvp gear. I see Imperial Assault and Raptor with the exact same stats and look in the preview. What is the difference? And which set would you recommend to use with your spec. Edited by svpxsteve