Respect Revan

MasterMe

Revan's "power" level at the end of chapter 1 says nothing about the character as a whole in the greater Star Wars universe. It's a snap shot of part of the characters life. Characters in Star Wars go through their various defeats, victories (and comebacks). It is impossible to make some sort of overall "power" comparison between various characters in the storyline(s) because the story is always on going. Take the Old Republic - it's an aspect of the overall Star Wars Universe that isn't even finished being told.

Making comparisons is meaningless.

Edited by ProsaicProse

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Revan's "power" level at the end of chapter 1 says nothing about the character as a whole in the greater Star Wars universe. It's a snap shot of part of the characters life. Characters in Star Wars go through their various defeats, victories (and comebacks). It is impossible to make some sort of overall "power" comparison between various characters in the storyline(s) because the story is always on going. Take the Old Republic - it's an aspect of the overall Star Wars Universe that isn't even finished being told.

Making comparisons is meaningless.

Revan's prime, as it stands now, was during his fight with the Emperor. He loses pretty badly even with help.

Then we have

The Jedi Knight solo the Emperor's voice who is endowed with the power of the Emperor himself

I'm sure Rayla will correct me if I'm wrong. Haven't finished the JK story, but I'm a spoiler-holic :)

As a self confessed Revan fan, am I the only one that doesn't find the fact that four PCs (who weren't in their prime) beat Revan (who was arguably also not in his prime*) that surprising, or even insulting for Revan? Especially when you look at the feats each PC has achieved.

Even were you to go by the hard mode standard (and bring game mechanics into the equation), which certainly isn't the intended storyline, Nox (Sith Assassin) could (with the assistance of his healer companion & awesome gear) probably defeat him in the same way they can solo The False Emperor** (the person, not the entire HM).

Characters without limitations are boring. Turning Revan into (to borrow Aurbere's phrasing) "the second chosen one" doesn't add to his character, it makes him as boring as post RotJ Luke & Sidious.

- Signed, "A Revanite that'd rather have respect for an interesting character than a powerful one".

* For reference I'd place his prime as during his conflict with (read: ***-kicking by) Vitiate, during the whole "twin rivers" incident (in whichever way you wish to interpret it).

** It is entirely possible, there are videos on youtube.

And for Aurbere, you're correct except that:

The Jedi Knight has T7 with him/her.

Edited by MyDarkSunshine

As a self confessed Revan fan, am I the only one that doesn't find the fact that four PCs (who weren't in their prime) beat Revan (who was arguably also not in his prime*) that surprising, or even insulting for Revan? Especially when you look at the feats each PC has achieved.

Even were you to go by the hard mode standard (and bring game mechanics into the equation), which certainly isn't the intended storyline, Nox (Sith Assassin) could (with the assistance of his healer companion & awesome gear) probably defeat him in the same way they can solo The False Emperor** (the person, not the entire HM).

Characters without limitations are boring. Turning Revan into (to borrow Aurbere's phrasing) "the second chosen one" doesn't add to his character, it makes him as boring as post RotJ Luke & Sidious.

- Signed, "A Revanite that'd rather have respect for an interesting character than a powerful one".

* For reference I'd place his prime as during his conflict with (read: ***-kicking by) Vitiate, during the whole "twin rivers" incident (in whichever way you wish to interpret it).

You're the best 'Revanite' I've ever seen, I commend your respect for the character and not the power.

It sounds like consistent story telling to me. On Revan's fate in the Foundry...

We have a character who's just spent the last few hundred years in locked in stasis in a draining contest of wills with the Emperor, waking up abruptly to be attacked by a group of the empires most promising. Revan himself hasn't fought anyone, or done anything outside of this contest of wills with the Emperor, who was feeding off him through the force, no doubt weakening him for hundreds of years.

The fight ends predictably, regardless of how "powerful" Revan can be, and it's a simple snap shot of his ongoing life. Take another of my favorite Sith in the game.. Darth Jadus.

Despite being touted as second in power (NPC opinion) to the Emperor, and being at his full strength (no excuse of being in stasis for hundred of years locked in will and force draining battles) is defeated by a mere imperial agent (non-force user) with a single companion (instead of 4 people)?

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Jadus and believe him to be a sith to be reckoned with, but if I went entirely off that snapshot, I'd think he endured a laughable fate.

In the end, trying to make some sort of overall comparison between force users based on such snap shots is pointless, imo.

Edited by ProsaicProse

That's a Revanite. Pay attention folks.

And thank you. Sad that I can't have Kira. :(

I actually really like Revan, MY Revan, not what the character became, problem is, a lot of his 'Revanites' attempt to make him out to be something he is not, I do exactly the opposite, I purposefully underhype what he has done for the sole purpose of showing everyone a completely different view point of what he has done, so as to stop the growth of this big 'Revan is beast' shtick that goes around on the forums.

Like him all you* want, but don't come into threads(I'm not referring to this one) and spew on about how great he is, this isn't about who you like best, it's about what they actually achieved, hence the purpose of canon facts, not hyperbole.

*I mean 'you' as a collective noun, not you personally.

Okay, I don't feel that I've "tried to make Revan something he's not." Let me remind you that all I've been saying (I've said it 100 times already) he's not a pushover and that he has considerable power. Do you disagree?

I'll grant you that I spoke out of ignorance when we spoke about whether or not it was possible to use both sides of the force. I guess I don't know much about the laws of canon. Besides this, have I over rated him in any way?

Back to the original question. Would you (being everybody) agree that Revan isn't a pushover and that he could hold his own against many opponents? Why or why not?

I've never said anything remotely near saying that Revan was "limitless." I never implied that he was "the second chosen one." I feel a little bit as if people are putting words into my mouth.

You're the best 'Revanite' I've ever seen, I commend your respect for the character and not the power.

That's a Revanite. Pay attention folks.

And thank you. Sad that I can't have Kira. :(

Thank you both.

Kira deserved to be there as much as anyone but T7 + Jedi = Unstoppable.

I've never said anything remotely near saying that Revan was "limitless." I never implied that he was "the second chosen one." I feel a little bit as if people are putting words into my mouth.

To clarify, my post was not aimed at you specifically. When I quote and/or respond directly to other users it is made obvious; as either quotation marks alongside an indication of who is being quoted (see my use of a phrase Aurbere has been known to use), or a quote box (see above) are used.

My response was born both from the current discussion towards the end of the thread (re: the Foundry encounter) and from general comments I'd seen in regards to Revan. If anything, the response was pro your thread; I agree Revan deserves respect, just not necessarily for the same reasons others might. Given the title and content of the topic, it seemed as appropriate a place as any to expand upon my thoughts as well as respond to discussion of the Foundry encounter.

My apologies if you read it in any other way.

My way of looking at Revan was this.

He was no chump, but nor was he the end all be all i am the strongest being ever.

I look at it this way, he was a cunning, very strong[not uber, but he was strong], adaptable person. He was not the strongest being ever, but he was definitely up there.

Could he beat or be beaten by anybody? Who knows. I respect Revan, hell loved playing him in KOTOR. Doesn't mean he's invincible.

My way of looking at Revan was this.

He was no chump, but nor was he the end all be all i am the strongest being ever.

I look at it this way, he was a cunning, very strong[not uber, but he was strong], adaptable person. He was not the strongest being ever, but he was definitely up there.

Could he beat or be beaten by anybody? Who knows. I respect Revan, hell loved playing him in KOTOR. Doesn't mean he's invincible.

A very well spoken and modest statement.

Okay, I don't feel that I've "tried to make Revan something he's not." Let me remind you that all I've been saying (I've said it 100 times already) he's not a pushover and that he has considerable power. Do you disagree?

I'll grant you that I spoke out of ignorance when we spoke about whether or not it was possible to use both sides of the force. I guess I don't know much about the laws of canon. Besides this, have I over rated him in any way?

Back to the original question. Would you (being everybody) agree that Revan isn't a pushover and that he could hold his own against many opponents? Why or why not?

No one is saying he is a pushover. He is powerful. For his time of course. But his power does not transcend time. He is completely outclassed by Jedi and Sith of future generations. That is the point I am trying to get across. I have never said that he is a pushover. He is strong in his time, but you cannot put him up against people like Mace Windu, Obi-Wan, Plo Koon or Yoda and expect him to win. Revan's power is eclipsed by the time of Darth Bane and some remarkable Jedi and Sith from the TOR era.

He does deserve respect. But I respect the Revan from KOTOR, not what he has been turned into.

It wasn't directed at you at all, but the Revanites as a whole, there aren't many of you who are nearly as understanding as you are.

I remember many times dealing with 'He was the most powerful Force User ever, he mastered both sides of the force.' blah blah blah.

That's my point about most Revan fans, they are the most hyperbolic fan group I've seen for Star Wars.

Now can Revan hold his own? of course he can, he has some of the most exotic abilities out there, he has the rare experience of going from a strong Light Sider to an even stronger Dark Sider then to an even more powerful Light Sider again, it most certainly gave him a unique perspective of the force.

Unfortunately by the point of the Foundry, he became quite arrogant and overconfident, it was only when he was humbled like his old apprentice, did he realise he wasn't as mighty a figure as he and many others believed: "and as the darkness takes me, I am nothing, now I know how you felt old friend."

No one is saying he is a pushover. He is powerful. For his time of course. But his power does not transcend time. He is completely outclassed by Jedi and Sith of future generations. That is the point I am trying to get across. I have never said that he is a pushover. He is strong in his time, but you cannot put him up against people like Mace Windu, Obi-Wan, Plo Koon or Yoda and expect him to win. Revan's power is eclipsed by the time of Darth Bane and some remarkable Jedi and Sith from the TOR era.

He does deserve respect. But I respect the Revan from KOTOR, not what he has been turned into.

Could you define completely out-classed? I understand that Obi-wan, Mace Windu, and Yoda are canonically better then him, but do they completely outclass him? I disagree but I understand and respect what you're saying.

But there are without a doubt a few Jedi of that era that Revan could beat (or at least there's a strong case for him beating them). Here's a few that I THINK Revan could beat:

- Jedi Master Yaddle (good force powers but seemingly little skill with a lightsaber)

- Jedi Master Adi Gallia (maybe..... not positive though)

- Jedi Master Coleman Trebor (that guy who got his face shot by Jango Fett)

- Jedi Master Stass Allie (she's really not that speciel)

- Agen Kolar (unsure.... he was a GREAT duelist, but once again, seemingly few force powers. Also he was very proud)

- Note: To the best of my knowledge, none of these listed people have beaten any high-profile targets.

I'm not looking to start a argument here, and I'm certainly NOT saying that canon dictates that Revan would win these fights. What I am saying is that there are some PT Jedi that Revan could canonically hang with and (I think) beat.

It wasn't directed at you at all, but the Revanites as a whole, there aren't many of you who are nearly as understanding as you are.

I remember many times dealing with 'He was the most powerful Force User ever, he mastered both sides of the force.' blah blah blah.

That's my point about most Revan fans, they are the most hyperbolic fan group I've seen for Star Wars.

Now can Revan hold his own? of course he can, he has some of the most exotic abilities out there, he has the rare experience of going from a strong Light Sider to an even stronger Dark Sider then to an even more powerful Light Sider again, it most certainly gave him a unique perspective of the force.

Unfortunately by the point of the Foundry, he became quite arrogant and overconfident, it was only when he was humbled like his old apprentice, did he realise he wasn't as mighty a figure as he and many others believed: "and as the darkness takes me, I am nothing, now I know how you felt old friend."

Well said.

Could you define completely out-classed? I understand that Obi-wan, Mace Windu, and Yoda are canonically better then him, but do they completely outclass him? I disagree but I understand and respect what you're saying.

But there are without a doubt a few Jedi of that era that Revan could beat (or at least there's a strong case for him beating them). Here's a few that I THINK Revan could beat:

- Jedi Master Yaddle (good force powers but seemingly little skill with a lightsaber)

- Jedi Master Adi Gallia (maybe..... not positive though)

- Jedi Master Coleman Trebor (that guy who got his face shot by Jango Fett)

- Jedi Master Stass Allie (she's really not that speciel)

- Agen Kolar (unsure.... he was a GREAT duelist, but once again, seemingly few force powers. Also he was very proud)

- Note: To the best of my knowledge, none of these listed people have beaten any high-profile targets.

I'm not looking to start a argument here, and I'm certainly NOT saying that canon dictates that Revan would win these fights. What I am saying is that there are some PT Jedi that Revan could canonically hang with and (I think) beat.

Yes. Everyone I named and others completely outclass him. They are leaps and bounds ahead of him. You must remember that the Jedi Order of the PT were the best ever seen. Now this doesn't mean that all of the them beat Revan. Revan would most likely (depending on the circumstances) beat most low level Jedi Knights and some Junior Council Members. But the guys on the Senior Council are THE best of the Order. Like you said though, certain members aren't as powerful as others. Can he beat Agen Kolar? Maybe, not in a Lightsaber duel. Adi Galia? Not sure. Trebor? Probably. He shouldn't have even been on the Council off of what we see in the movies.

But he is outclassed by many of the Council members as well as those who chose not to sit on the Council. Jedi like Qui-Gon Jinn and Cin Drallig would beat him handily. We have Qui-Gon who could duel Windu as an equal. And Cin Drallig who was a Battle master of the Jedi Order and it's authority on Lightsaber combat.

Revan's only real hope in a fight with these guys is his exotic abilities. But those abilities don't guarantee him a victory. And he is also very arrogant, he would probably try to engage them in Lightsaber combat. He would lose quickly if he did so. He is outclassed in strength in the Force and Lightsaber skills. All he has is knowledge of exotic abilities, but we don't know how effective these abilities would be in a fight with someone like Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan.

Not saying that Revan is not powerful, again. But he is much more suited to fighting people from his time and the TOR era. Anything after that would not go in his favor.

Yes. Everyone I named and others completely outclass him. They are leaps and bounds ahead of him. You must remember that the Jedi Order of the PT were the best ever seen. Now this doesn't mean that all of the them beat Revan. Revan would most likely (depending on the circumstances) beat most low level Jedi Knights and some Junior Council Members. But the guys on the Senior Council are THE best of the Order. Like you said though, certain members aren't as powerful as others. Can he beat Agen Kolar? Maybe, not in a Lightsaber duel. Adi Galia? Not sure. Trebor? Probably. He shouldn't have even been on the Council off of what we see in the movies.

But he is outclassed by many of the Council members as well as those who chose not to sit on the Council. Jedi like Qui-Gon Jinn and Cin Drallig would beat him handily. We have Qui-Gon who could duel Windu as an equal. And Cin Drallig who was a Battle master of the Jedi Order and it's authority on Lightsaber combat.

Revan's only real hope in a fight with these guys is his exotic abilities. But those abilities don't guarantee him a victory. And he is also very arrogant, he would probably try to engage them in Lightsaber combat. He would lose quickly if he did so. He is outclassed in strength in the Force and Lightsaber skills. All he has is knowledge of exotic abilities, but we don't know how effective these abilities would be in a fight with someone like Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan.

Not saying that Revan is not powerful, again. But he is much more suited to fighting people from his time and the TOR era. Anything after that would not go in his favor.

I think you're mistaken to say that Revan is arrogant. Perhaps during TOR, but that wasn't his prime so it doesn't matter.

I understand and agree that most PT Jedi are better then most OR Jedi. However I don't think that any of these named Jedi would whip Revan. I simply don't think that there's that much that seperates them.

Take Obi-wan for example. He's a GREAT duelist, and he has considerable knowledge of the force. He would doubtlessly beat Revan. On this we can agree. But in a close analyisis, Obi-wan just wouldn't run away with it. He's a soresu master, and thus he's not going to attack until absolutely necessary. This makes for a long fight. Remember that Revan was the best duelist of his time, so while he's not as good as Ob-wan, he's not gonna get man handled or anything. Both are very knowledgable in the force, and when it comes to cunning, I'd say they're really close.

Lightsaber Dueling: Obi-wan > Revan

Force abilities: Obi-wan _ Revan

Cunning: Obi-wan _ Revan

A sound victory for Master Kenobi, but no landslide.

The purpose of this is to show that a battle can be a lot closer then you may think. I don't believe in absolute victories or landslides for the most part. Surely you understand. I just don't think they're "leaps and bounds" ahead of Revan. Canon says men like Qui-gon Jinn are better then Revan, but I don't think it says "leaps and bounds" better.

Plus, you seem to be downplaying his "exotic abilities." These exotic abilities indicate a high understanding of the force.

I think you're mistaken to say that Revan is arrogant. Perhaps during TOR, but that wasn't his prime so it doesn't matter.

I understand and agree that most PT Jedi are better then most OR Jedi. However I don't think that any of these named Jedi would whip Revan. I simply don't think that there's that much that seperates them.

Revan thinking he can stop Vitiate shows me that he is very arrogant. Especially since he didn't even scratch Vitiate.

Mace Windu and Yoda and Luke and Sidious would all wipe the floor. And it is canon that Luke would wipe the floor because Leland Chee has said Luke is 200% of Sidious and Sidious is the Most Powerful Sith Ever and Revan didn't even manage to damage a Sith that is pretty below Sidious in terms of power.

Edited by BrandonSM

Take Obi-wan for example. He's a GREAT duelist, and he has considerable knowledge of the force. He would doubtlessly beat Revan. On this we can agree. But in a close analyisis, Obi-wan just wouldn't run away with it. He's a soresu master, and thus he's not going to attack until absolutely necessary. This makes for a long fight. Remember that Revan was the best duelist of his time, so while he's not as good as Ob-wan, he's not gonna get man handled or anything. Both are very knowledgable in the force, and when it comes to cunning, I'd say they're really close.

Lightsaber Dueling: Obi-wan > Revan

Force abilities: Obi-wan _ Revan

Cunning: Obi-wan _ Revan

A sound victory for Master Kenobi, but no landslide.

The purpose of this is to show that a battle can be a lot closer then you may think. I don't believe in absolute victories or landslides for the most part. Surely you understand. I just don't think they're "leaps and bounds" ahead of Revan. Canon says men like Qui-gon Jinn are better then Revan, but I don't think it says "leaps and bounds" better.

Plus, you seem to be downplaying his "exotic abilities." These exotic abilities indicate a high understanding of the force.

Obi-Wan is the Soresu master. Soresu is a form meant to wait out the opponent and strike when a hole is open. Obi-Wan has a much higher understanding of Lightsaber forms than Revan could. I mean look at the fight with Grievous. Grievous' attack had no visible weakness and Kenobi had him beat in the duel in a matter of seconds. He sees the weaknesses that people don't see. You can have a flawless attack and Kenobi would pick it apart.Kenobi is also far more powerful that Revan. As shown druing his battle with Anakin Skywalker.

The time between the Battle of Ruusan and the Phantom Menace allowed the Jedi Order to flourish in numbers, knowledge and strength. Each new generation of Jedi was better than the last. And when the Clone Wars came, the Jedi Order was at its most powerful. Similar to the Banite line of Sith. By the time Sidious came into power the Sith were at their sttrongest and so were the Jedi. Which means the Jedi Order was a good thousand years ahead of Revan. This makes him obsolete. There really is no getting around that.

Not to bash on Revan, but these are the facts. Let's take a battle between Qui-Gon and Revan. Qui-Gon has superior Lightsaber skills, superior knowledge of the Force and experience. Revan has good Lightsaber skills, knowledge of exotic abilities, and experience. But again, these exotic abilities will only get him so far. Tutaminis? Related to energy absorbtion. An ability that Yoda employed against Count Dooku and Darth Sidious. This relies on a Force attack for use. Tutaminis is the only one that I know of, but it's uses are limited. In this battle, Revan only has knowledge of rare abilities backing him. But I don't see that getting him far in such a battle.

Just to interrupt, Exar Kun was the best duellist of those days, by a VERY large margin, no one comes even close to him in those days.

Yeah, Exar Kun would beat many people in battle. Jolee even said that Revan is a wannabe compared to Kun.

Revan thinking he can stop Vitiate shows me that he is very arrogant. Especially since he didn't even scratch Vitiate.

Mace Windu and Yoda and Luke and Sidious would all wipe the floor. And it is canon that Luke would wipe the floor because Leland Chee has said Luke is 200% of Sidious and Sidious is the Most Powerful Sith Ever and Revan didn't even manage to damage a Sith that is pretty below Sidious in terms of power.

Well, we know Mace, Yoda, Luke and Sidious would crush him. He's saying that Revan can go toe-to-toe with someone like Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon. Taking a deeper look at each of them shows that that isn't really possible.

Well, we know Mace, Yoda, Luke and Sidious would crush him. He's saying that Revan can go toe-to-toe with someone like Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon. Taking a deeper look at each of them shows that that isn't really possible.

Maybe not in that post that I quoted, but he was saying he didn't think any of the "bigger" guys would wipe the floor with Revan. But he also said they could beat him, but not wipe the floor with him. And I guess I was kinda taking that into count with the post I quoted.

Maybe not in that post that I quoted, but he was saying he didn't think any of the "bigger" guys would wipe the floor with Revan. But he also said they could beat him, but not wipe the floor with him. And I guess I was kinda taking that into count with the post I quoted.

Well it's pretty much canon that they would beat him easy. Who do we have? Mace? Beat Sidious in a Lightsaber duel. Yoda? Held his own against Sidious for quite some time. Sidious? Most powerful Sith Lord to ever exist. Luke? Do I even have to say anything?

OP. Not hating on you, but you might need to do some study on the PT/NJO guys. They are the best and completely outclass Revan. Remember that Revan's power gets eclipsed during the time of Darth Bane and certain TOR characters.