It's Bugtastic!

Blackavaar

Well stuff like this is what happens when people do this.

"Daddy! Daddy! BioWare won't update my game! Daddy, I will quit playing if they don't update right now and then you'll have to deal with me running around and interrupting your favorite t.v. show. Daddy, they are still not updating and it's been a whole month now, you know I can't wait for anything. Daddy!"

The people on these forums complaining about not having updates every week of their lives instead of waiting for well built content is reminiscent to the girl in the Willie Wanka Factory who ate a bunch of snaushberries and turned into a great big blue berry and floated away.

People just need to relax and realize that you get what your asking for when your not willing to wait and you push programmers to bring you what you want too quickly. Heck people who play LOTRO have been waiting for years to get to area of Rohan that Turbine is finally giving us since the servers have been opened.

i for one like the updates, yes some are stupid but you all are getting what you asked for. I guess you'll all complain about how much a car costs for that magical 55 mpg a lot of you will probably want.

OOOK.... so 6+ yrs developing a AAA title that at launch was noticeably unpolished, bugged to hell, had High Res missing "cos it was mysteriously never meant to be in game or beta"... FPS issues across a wide range of low and high quality rig setups, Raids borked, crafting lists borking, graphics and sound glitching, headslot issues, mail issues, GTN issues, group finder issues after it was implemented and only till recently semi fixed.... yep it must be cos we demands it all like yesterday.

If a game chooses to release content to appease the whinners and not bother whether its tested, ready and polished, just so they can silence those players then sorry but that is a fail.

Why release poor quality content out knowing you will spend the next 2, 3, 4 weeks having to put resource into getting it working right when they could of been working on the next content for release.. that's what has continually happened with SWTOR and its why they have always been way behind the 8 ball. From day 1 the game has been in band aid and fire fighting mode.

What they should of done was dig in and get the content right and take on board Beta testers tickets or PTS tickets... but no they still decided to steam roll content in and everytime since launch they have had to spend the X weeks working on emergent needs.. see the pattern.

However I am not so naive to think MMO's can just be coded and expected to work flawlessly of course they dont, show me one that does, but the good ones take on board what's happened and apply changes in their processes to try to alleviate the issues for next time round... but to me it seems SWTOR just gets worse and worse each time and this latest update is small in comparison to some of the other updates and certainly in comparison to what other titles put out, but still has a plethora of issues new and old (regressive = not good)

But on the flipside, they do react pretty quickly to some of the more demanding of issues and I would rather have some 2hr maintenance slots to put things right than to to let it fester until they are forced to pull the game down for days rather than hours so I will give credit where its due.

It just seems Bioware are doing themselves no favours from update to update imo, which does not boad well for the F2P era as that crowd are even less sympathetic and have no loyalty to any title whether it Star Wars or Tiddly Winks

Edited by Bloodstealer

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not having the old options when right clicking player names suck. Is that intentional and if so, why?

Also, I love being able to insta cast 20x disturbance in a row. The only downpart is that this bug comes with immune enemies.

And the Consulars Project animation.. heck I never know whether it actually activates cos its on cooldown before I can even see it happen and thats after I have taken a 30minute eye speed training session. I mean I know some animations were out of sync or never actually activating but this has gone a bit too far the other way :)

What third party addons? I have a couple external parsing programs but I don't consider them "addons", just something separate. Something I'm missing, here?

Just google SWTOR Hacks or addons... you will have your eyes opened... though I have only noticed them in PvP not really in PvE... likely cos most stuff before running HM's upwards doesnt demand any real skill or tactical awareness, whereas PvP is all about the "I am the bestest and I dont like being Pwned so I needs a booster" :)

In other news..... remember the previous rant-de-jour..... renames, and all the good names (or favorite names) beign taken?

Hehe... just saw the name Ctrl'alt'del on the GTN on The Harbinger. In before someone rages about the name being taken. :p

Edited by Andryah

The bugs that weren't documented on the PTS don't bother me as much. I accept that there are going to be a certain number of bugs in a new patch. However, many many of these bugs were documented on the PTS and this was with the skeleton crew the PTS had testing.

The bugs were documented prior to release which means that BW decided screw it, we'll release it anyway. They knowingly gave us bugs. With that attitude, they deserve as much vitrol as people want to heap on their heads for the bugs in this patch.

The bugs were documented prior to release which means that BW decided screw it, we'll release it anyway. They knowingly gave us bugs. With that attitude, they deserve as much vitrol as people want to heap on their heads for the bugs in this patch.

In fairness, this is the way it works with software products, especially games. Just because a bug is reported on a public test does not mean the bug will be, or needs to be, fixed before release. Some will, some will not. Many go into the bug fix queue, separate from any decision to release the patch. Game breakers tend to get fixed if possible, but there the problem is "what is game breaking?" Game breaking is generally a very subjective complaint. So in the end, It's a business decision every producer needs to make.

Besides, it's not like this is something new. They have been doing it since launch. Granted, if a bug hits you particularly hard, it's less tolerable and you get more critical about releasing with the bug.

And yes, I get that some people have been adversely affected due to the graphics changes in this patch. But honestly, when I see two different people describe the exact same graphics system in their pc and one has no issues and the other says it's unplayable... it is difficult to calibrate exactly what is happening on one system that is not happening on the other. Clearly, it's not just what graphics chip set you have, or what drivers you are using. It's more complex then that, and until you are able to matrix reported data from customer and identify the common point of failure, it's going to release and get fixed via patch afterwards (even though they know it affects some customers by doing so).

Edited by Andryah

The bugs that weren't documented on the PTS don't bother me as much. I accept that there are going to be a certain number of bugs in a new patch. However, many many of these bugs were documented on the PTS and this was with the skeleton crew the PTS had testing.

Agreed.

Given the amount of bugs listed in:

1.4 Consolidated Bug/Issues List

I would think that EAware should be a bit embarrassed . :rolleyes:

:cool:

In fairness, this is the way it works with software products, especially games. Just because a bug is reported on a public test does not mean the bug will be, or needs to be, fixed before release. Some will, some will not. Many go into the bug fix queue, separate from any decision to release the patch. Game breakers tend to get fixed if possible, but there the problem is "what is game breaking?" Game breaking is generally a very subjective complaint. So in the end, It's a business decision every producer needs to make.

Besides, it's not like this is something new. They have been doing it since launch. Granted, if a bug hits you particularly hard, it's less tolerable and you get more critical about releasing with the bug.

And yes, I get that some people have been adversely affected due to the graphics changes in this patch. But honestly, when I see two different people describe the exact same graphics system in their pc and one has no issues and the other says it's unplayable... it is difficult to calibrate exactly what is happening on one system that is not happening on the other. Clearly, it's not just what graphics chip set you have, or what drivers you are using. It's more complex then that, and until you are able to matrix reported data from customer and identify the common point of failure, it's going to release and get fixed via patch afterwards (even though they know it affects some customers by doing so).

If it's a business decision to value an arbitrary release date over producing a high quality product, then that business has made the choice to accept the bad publicity, customer dissatisfaction, and complaints that will come with that decision. They made their bed, they can lie in it. I feel no sympathy for them whatsoever.

If it's a business decision to value an arbitrary release date over producing a high quality product, then that business has made the choice to accept the bad publicity, customer dissatisfaction, and complaints that will come with that decision. They made their bed, they can lie in it. I feel no sympathy for them whatsoever.

Yeah, it's like fast food places valuing that time limit they have been given by corporate over actually fully cooking the food (there are several franchises that do this now). Sure, you get the food faster, but if it's not fully cooked and slapped together in a big juicy mess do you really want to eat it?

BTW, did anyone else notice that the lightsaber hums are back.... but only when you're moving.

Odd, no?

That and big solid lines on deflects and those "green lines" on the ground. It's like we rolled back to pre-release. :rolleyes:

Well stuff like this is what happens when people do this.

"Daddy! Daddy! BioWare won't update my game! Daddy, I will quit playing if they don't update right now and then you'll have to deal with me running around and interrupting your favorite t.v. show. Daddy, they are still not updating and it's been a whole month now, you know I can't wait for anything. Daddy!"

The people on these forums complaining about not having updates every week of their lives instead of waiting for well built content is reminiscent to the girl in the Willie Wanka Factory who ate a bunch of snaushberries and turned into a great big blue berry and floated away.

People just need to relax and realize that you get what your asking for when your not willing to wait and you push programmers to bring you what you want too quickly. Heck people who play LOTRO have been waiting for years to get to area of Rohan that Turbine is finally giving us since the servers have been opened.

i for one like the updates, yes some are stupid but you all are getting what you asked for. I guess you'll all complain about how much a car costs for that magical 55 mpg a lot of you will probably want.

Dude, Its taken them 5 months, to release a patch that contains 1 Op and not much else. The excuse that we complain that content is too slow ... is a little silly, to put it nicely.

Yeah gotta wonder what their priorities are. I don't get that the shadows were really an issue that needed to be worked on. Or that my toons needed to be able to change their facial expressions. I played with the mood thing for a few minutes and that was it. If the PTS, was really a PTS they may have known about these bugs.

Yeah gotta wonder what their priorities are. I don't get that the shadows were really an issue that needed to be worked on. Or that my toons needed to be able to change their facial expressions. I played with the mood thing for a few minutes and that was it. If the PTS, was really a PTS they may have known about these bugs.

Oh, they knew about them, but they rolled out the patch anyway, probably assuming the number of players affected would be minimal and they could fix the bugs over the next few weeks. Standard practice for MMO developers unfortunately.

:(