Legacy names no longer unique to server

HitokiriX

When I read this I was pretty shocked. I mean yeah we can all have the last name we wanted without having to compete with others but the Legacy name was supposed to be a link between all of our characters. If someone with my Legacy was being a troll I wouldn't want to gain a reputation because of someone I don't even know.

Not getting the name you want has been around since the start of MMO's. I'm just stating that when multiple people have the same last name, it's common to think that they're related. I wouldn't want myself or anyone else to be misrepresented by a complete stranger.

When I read this I was pretty shocked. I mean yeah we can all have the last name we wanted without having to compete with others but the Legacy name was supposed to be a link between all of our characters. If someone with my Legacy was being a troll I wouldn't want to gain a reputation because of someone I don't even know.

Since everyone now knows that no one's Legacy is unique then why would anyone assume that someone with the same Legacy as you was you? Your complaint is invalid. Legacy names never appeared in chat, are optional to appear above characters and were never used for Mail, Guild or Friend lists, they were never really used as identifiers, so there was no valid reason for a Legacy to ever be unique.

Now that Legacy names are not unique a family of five that wants to play characters together that are part of the same family with the same Legacy name can do so and two best friends who want to play as two brothers in the game can do so too.

:cool:

To be honest a few people not getting to feel like special snowflakes trumps everyone having the chance to have the legacy name they desire imo. I suspect the op was lucky enough to be on a destination server back when the mergers hit, and was now wants to have his cake and it it too. The needs of the many and all that bro...

personally i think legacy should have remained unique, with first names going to non-unique. legacy names could have been the identifying label for a character

example:

Han Solo

Han Skywalker.

for a message one would have to type /tell han_skywalker or /tell han_solo.

personally i think legacy should have remained unique, with first names going to non-unique. legacy names could have been the identifying label for a character

example:

Han Solo

Han Skywalker.

That would not work as Legacy name applies to every character on your account on a given server.

That would not work as Legacy name applies to every character on your account on a given server.

it could if they limited character names within the legacy

another example:

player 1

- han solo

- luke solo

- leia solo

- anikan solo

player 2

- han skywalker

- luke skywalker

- leia skywalker

- anikan skywalker

Edited by Skodan

it could if they limited character names within the legacy

another example:

player 1

- han solo

- luke solo

- leia solo

- anikan solo

player 2

- han skywalker

- luke skywalker

- leia skywalker

- anikan skywalker

Legacy name is a title, or for RP purposes only. It conveys no unique identity of a character to any elements of the game itself. They would have to rewrite the game to do what you want, and that's not going to happen.

Edited by Andryah

My Opinion on this may not be totally unique but here goes.

My REAL last name is not Unique. There are a rather large number of people that carry my last name that are not in any way shape or form related to me. In point of fact, I have two FB friends with the same last name as me and none of us are related to the other at all other than happening to have the same last name . We have checked and have no blood relatives that our genealogical digging has yet discovered. While I would love to be unique, I am not so it doesn't bother me much at all not to be unique in a game either.

That's my take, and I'm sticking to it.

My Opinion on this may not be totally unique but here goes.

My REAL last name is not Unique. There are a rather large number of people that carry my last name that are not in any way shape or form related to me. In point of fact, I have two FB friends with the same last name as me and none of us are related to the other at all other than happening to have the same last name . We have checked and have no blood relatives that our genealogical digging has yet discovered. While I would love to be unique, I am not so it doesn't bother me much at all not to be unique in a game either.

That's my take, and I'm sticking to it.

the thing is, in reality first and last names are not unique, but based on gameplay without having a number attached to an account having a unique first name or unique last name is necessary

• 1 month later...

I do have an idea when it comes to Legacy Names. They should add a font and a font color selector to creating your Legacy Name.

That way you can make your Legacy name look unique. For a short period of time.

Now as to the most well known Legacy names in SWTOR ever to be wanted to be used.

You are creating the family history of that Legacy. 3500 years before the Star Wars movies timeline.

Oh, I have been out the loop for a while. Are their certain names still blocked from being used as Legacy names.

Like THRAWN, SOLO, SKYWALKER,ECT

Edited by omega-alpha

example:

Han Solo

Han Skywalker.

heh news to me that legacy names were no longer unique. That, imo, dilutes the whole legacy idea. I guess i was unsubbed when all that happened, but wow talk about continually listening to the wrong group of people. Heh well whatever..keep up the good work.

Not getting the name you want has been around since the start of MMO's. I'm just stating that when multiple people have the same last name, it's common to think that they're related. I wouldn't want myself or anyone else to be misrepresented by a complete stranger.

I understand what you're saying, although people know that Legacy names aren't unique now, so they won't necessarily assume that characters with the same Legacy name are related. Also, consider that accent marks have been in MMOs since the start, and they can cause people to misidentify someone, or to mail or message the wrong person, but AFAIK, while using them has been an annoying inconvenience to some, it hasn't caused any major problems.

The whole Legacy Name thing was implemented poorly in the first place. Legacy Name should have been a 3rd naming option, on top of first name and optional surname.

At least this is a step in a direction away.

Besides, Legacy Names were never about how you look according to other people, but always been about how you see your characters. Realistically, no one besdies you gives two ***** and a penny about your legacy, how each character relates to each other, and their backstories you created for them. No. One. There isn't even an in-game way to view other people's legacy and see how other players have arranged their chars.

Not a problem if you have a unique, well-thought out Legacy name.

If not, I feel sorry for you and sympathize.

• 2 weeks later...
I just wish I had known this when I named my legacy. It would have been nice to choose my boyfriend's legacy name as well. He suggested it to me, but I thought it wouldn't work. I'm not too sad though, since I came up with a nice one too.

the thing is, in reality first and last names are not unique, but based on gameplay without having a number attached to an account having a unique first name or unique last name is necessary

Except, other MMO's have already gotten around this and character names are not unique in those games.

It just requires linking the character names to an ID, or account handle.