Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

Another point of interest is that on the Gav Daragon Server we get quite a lot of American gamers that state that the American servers are not populated enough so they play on our server.

Trent

Wait... what? Americans go to gav daragon to play on a populated server? That would have to be a huge lie.

Gav is so very unpopulated so i highly doubt americans would leave their populated severs for ours. Reason i want my 50's off there..

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about other servers... but in my experience, Dalborra is very populated :confused:

On a side note... Renaming ALL my characters, seriously, This is stupid. How about forced name changes for Americans that haven't played in the last 12 months. Might be ok with the transfer then.

I'm glad they're allowing people to choose servers, now all those on GD who blamed this whole situation on us RPers, (or more specifically me) can go anywhere else but Begeren Colony :D

See look, I even wrote that nicely... I could have said what I actually thought and along similar lines to what I've been told in the last few days, but why stoop to that level :rolleyes:)

dw you'll still have egothain to deal with. \o/

Not that simple. Face of the company would be the CEO.

Rationales behind decisions to shut down servers are protected by the business judgment rule and even EA's shareholders are not privy to that information.

I think Eric would be breaching all sorts of internal regulations and possibly even corporate governance laws by disclosing what is and should be protected as sensitive commercial information (e.g., details about costs, revenue).

The CEO is a private positon of leadership, not even part of the PR department, where as Eric is the Community Manager, a vital role in PR, and responsible for press releases and communication of the company to the public. His words are put on thier decisions.

You can't absolve him of lying to the public on an issue because he is the messanger who doesn't decide on what he gets to say, because he does. You certainly can't absolve him of lying about the reasons they are taking an action based on your assumptions of internal regulations that he may or may not be breaching.

Is he paid to be the community manager and is he paid to communicate in a way that is supposed to generate good press and good will between the company and the public? Is lying about the reason for the decision helped him accomplish those goals?

Is it unfair for us to shoot him for carrying the message of 'we are closing these servers (no reason)', assuming as I do he had no say in the decision? Yes that is unfair.

Is it unfair for us to call him a liar for lying about the reasons for the decision? No, he put his name on the lie as the community manager for the company and then dragged that role into the mud, just as Joveth did before him.

you do know eve runs a single server made up of a crap load of computers dont you? and they still have lag as well.

you do know that latency in WoW IS AN ISSUE, I know as i played for several years and ended up giving up on raids due to the latency and constant dc'ng due to it. PvP was also out of the question for the latency issue so dont come into my house and tell me WoW and Eve dont have latency issues and swtor can get just as good. Swotr is great at 25ms, why the @#^$# would I want to go to 400+ just because they planned this from before the launch. Thats probably why they never really advertised, thats why they never said anything until the last minute, thats why they ignored what the players suggested and requested, thats why they never did a poll when you logged into the game or even sent an in game mail about it. THEY NEW BEFORE THE GAME WAS RELEASED IN APAC they were going to do this. Which is why there arguments about population is crap considering they had to merge NA servers and even that hasnt helped on some.

Oh, I got an idea, why not close down a couple of the low population NA servers and transfer them all over to APAC, EAware cant complain considering there happy for us to go over there now arent they. Gee.. now thats a brilliant idea, if EA are happy for us to go to 400+ latency it would prove to be regional discrimination to not have equally deficient NA servers come to APAC instead.

Latency was an issue in WOW, but there were third party add-ons like Quartz (? been a while cant remember exactly) and unofficial tunneling services that mitigated the affects of lag to a large degree.

No such thing exists for SWTOR. If you have lag ...you're screwed.

I'm glad they're allowing people to choose servers, now all those on GD who blamed this whole situation on us RPers, (or more specifically me) can go anywhere else but Begeren Colony :D

See look, I even wrote that nicely... I could have said what I actually thought and along similar lines to what I've been told in the last few days, but why stoop to that level :rolleyes:)

I actually feel real sorry for you Allie.

Not only did you not want a merger, now you have to go to a NA server and experience horrendous lag.

I don't know about other servers... but in my experience, Dalborra is very populated :confused:

On a side note... Renaming ALL my characters, seriously, This is stupid. How about forced name changes for Americans that haven't played in the last 12 months. Might be ok with the transfer then.

If I suffer a name change then it will be fully offensive to Americans and EAware. Guarantee it.

Fair enough and good advice. Thank you. I suggest recording the number of this post and pointing people to it who complain solely about the latency issue, especially if they aren't having issues with abilities missing mid rotation. It'll save you having to rewrite or truncate responses that might get misinterpreted. :cool: Better yet, use those youtube skills of yours for a demo vid. :D

Who knows you might have an impact on those sitting on the fence about going or staying. Bye for now.

lol not a bad idea actually ill see what i can whip up

Wait... what? Americans go to gav daragon to play on a populated server? That would have to be a huge lie.

Gav is so very unpopulated so i highly doubt americans would leave their populated severs for ours. Reason i want my 50's off there..

Gav is the worst out of the 3 apac servers lol

Wow I'm not sure that's called for. He was simply told to make these posts and likely had no say in the choices. Don't shoot the messenger.

You wonder why they aren't replying when getting abused. Have a bit of civility.

Civility you promote, but subtle antagonism is all I see from your posts.

Not only did you not want a merger, now you have to go to a NA server and experience horrendous lag.

Not really, been playing on Begeren for a bit now, no lag whatsoever. Or at least no more than I was getting on GD

I still think this is a total middle finger to the asia-pacific players, but I also want clarification as to what approach is being taken on character names. I imported SWTOR for the early access US release and have had my characters names the whole time across my starting server Swiftsure, and then managed to reserve them on the Aus servers. However, I now find that EVERY SINGLE ONE of my character names is taken on the new destination server. In the previous wave of transfers (to Aus) characters who weren't shrewd enough to reserve their names in advance and were considered to be the 'elder' character would get their name (I.e characters who had more play time, were level capped etc etc) over unused or idle characters who would in turn require the name change. Does 'EA's Cash Piñata' plan to replicate this process?

Also, what is the process with guilds and most importantly guild banks? My guild has a crap load of resources in it, more than can realistically be put into player inventories and banks (partly thanks to all the trash filler cartel pack garbage), and also a massive sum of credits. Is this all going to be carried over to the new server?

The Bastion server pop right now is light, which is lower than both the RP and PVE Aus servers. SURE, the US community are TOTALLY active during our peak times. Lies unto lies. Edited by Ulantees
Update

The Bastion server pop right now is light, which is lower than both the RP and PVE Aus servers. SURE, the US community are TOTALLY active during our peak times. Lies unto lies.

just to clarify for you the server statuses: Light medium high depend on the PERCENTAGE of current slots of the server that are being used. Habinger has around 3 fleet instances of around 200 each during peak times, say for light its around 1/3rd that amount thats still around 200 ppl on fleet on your peak hours.

Speak for yourself, you go on about we dont speak for everyone (never said I have) then go on about what others actually think. Maybe they should come and say it themselves, either way dont go making statements about what others want after you've gone and said others arent speaking for everyone. Sheeesh!!!

I've seen repeatedly in this thread, people claiming that no-one wants this merger which is bull. That is indeed speaking for others. Most people who bother coming to a thread like this are people who are not happy with it so reading through these posts gives a skewed perspective on things.

Now as the thread title says, concerns over the consolodation and wether you and your (alledged guildies/freinds) are happy for it to happin is not really the topic, the topic is to deal with those who have concerns over the move and I (if not we) are happy for you to be happy about going to a NA server., but if you dont mind, myself and some others (numbers to be determined) would like to continue to discuss the topic which is "APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns".

And my posts have been doing just that. Stating my concerns about the decision. E.g. wanting a choice of destination servers. Many of the posts in here have been little more than demanding what bioware have already said isn't going to happen.

But thank you for your comments and I (if not we) hope you are happy on your NA 250ms+ server..

Played for several months on US severs before transferring to APAC. I still get lag spikes on APAC servers from Perth. There is so little difference in latency in my experience that it's practically a non-issue for me. Hence me pointing out that it is not the only issue people are concerned about.

Also, what is the process with guilds and most importantly guild banks? My guild has a crap load of resources in it, more than can realistically be put into player inventories and banks (partly thanks to all the trash filler cartel pack garbage), and also a massive sum of credits. Is this all going to be carried over to the new server?

Massive sum of credits can be transferred over by the guildie who is a subscriber.

Also how many tabs does your guild bank have? 2 character tabs will fill 1 bank tab. I have 3 50s on DN server and each of them have 4 and some have 5 bank tabs and thats just the 50s and not other alts.

1 account person's account should be able to transfer all your guild bank items if his rolled enough alts.

Edited by Jonnara

A message of reason:

I recieved support from friendly players. As one of those players pointed out and I agreed with, nasty players are not limited to certain servers. While we have a hugely friendly community on Dalborra, the Harbinger is no different; the trolls and said nasty players are just in more abundance because of the greater population. I didn't get to sample Warzones and Group Finder, but with a little luck I don't think it'll vary that much from playing on Dalborra.

I can't say for certain though, and I repeat I would like to stay on Dalborra and have a 'super-server.' Nonetheless on my second trip to the Harbinger I encountered a fair amount of kindness and very very little lag, no dfiferent to the AP Servers.

Awesome post and re-inforces 2 points that I heartily agree with.

1. Many people complaining about lag haven't actually tried playing on a US server and are speaking out of ignorance. I also, have played on both and found minimal difference. If people have tried both and found the lag is bad, then I think that's a valid opinion. Not those who are purely speculating though.

2. This would all go a lot more smoothly if we got better communication. I'd love an APAC super server. That would solve population problems without complaints about lag. It wouldn't be ideal for RPers but most of us RPers realise that we could still do it on a PVE server. An APAC super server it's not going to happen though. We've been lucky to get three locally hosted servers. Most MMO games don't do it. No way bioware would support just one server. It's about cost, and the sooner bioware are honest about that rather than the BS about improving player experience, the better. If they were honest about it, I think people would be more understanding about it and then discussion could focus on how to make the transition go smoothly, rather than obsessing on something that's not going to happen.

That's ok. She'll still have plenty of us usual familiar faces to RP with and plot her revenger aganst the EAmpire! ;)

Massive sum of credits can be transferred over by the guildie who is a subscriber.

Also how many tabs does your guild bank have? 2 character tabs will fill 1 bank tab. I have 3 50s on DN server and each of them have 4 and some have 5 bank tabs and thats just the 50s and not other alts.

1 account person's account should be able to transfer all your guild bank items if his rolled enough alts.

Months ago when we first started thinking about the possibility of server mergers I asked my old guild about it. Their server was merged with several others in to one of the big super servers. According to them the transfers all happened smoothly and quickly. As far as guild banks go, they couldn't transfer them directly. They could take the contents of the bank with them. Once they were on the new server, CS were able to reimburse them for their guild bank tabs so they could get them again and re-deposit their stuff. I assume it would be similar again.

I tried to read every page...gave up on page 371 (started from Eric's first post on 318). Just couldn't do it...the fecal matter has hit the spinning propeller blades hard enough that the pages keep adding up.

When APAC first opened up, I started playing on Gav, and eventually left for Dalborra when wait times for pops became ridiculous. I'm one of those weird North American denizens who plays at odd hours who came to APAC for the community, as ping isn't an issue for me (obviously). Both Gav and Dal have good people on them, and p!ssing contests in chat are few and far between. APAC servers don't generally have people constantly trying to see who fills out their virtual codpiece to a greater extent, and now I get to go back to that foolishness.

If there's any chance I can answer a legitimate question in General Chat, I won't be able to do it, because I'll have the General Chat function disabled from the day the transfers to the Harbinger are done - I just can't handle the sky-high levels of rudeness and condescension that NA servers seem to breed.

I know it's all a done deal. They didn't listen to any pleas in the last round of server transfers, and I have no reason to think that this time around will be any different., so I won't waste my virtual breath trying. I'm going to lose all my character names - I wouldn't ask a subbed Harbinger player to surrender their name (talk about a rude surprise), but as was suggested earlier in this thread, I would hope that my subscribed status (since launch) would give an edge over a dormant account or a F2P one. But again, I'm not expecting much.

Between Gav and Dal, I have less than a full rack of characters (with only one level 50), so they would have all fit nicely on a consolidated APAC server, which, if there had been an actual legitimate survey, would have been my definite first choice. But again, I don't expect that to count for much.

Eric: I know you are only the messenger, and that you've been pushed out onto the firing range by the people who actually made the decision many months past. I would ask you, however, to please word your updates so as not to insult our intelligence. Granted, we subscribe to an EA game, and that by itself might seem to indicate we aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, but we know Spin when we see it.

I, for one, would feel a bit less miffed if you (EAWare) simply admitted it was all about the money. You're a corporation, and you exist to make money - we get that, we don't begrudge you making a profit. But please keep in mind, it is an axiom of the business world that for every angry customer that gets in your face (like we are doing in this thread), seven to ten others simply say "F*** it" and walk, taking their business with them. Remember that the next time you look at a balance sheet.