Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

Well seeing as how you use these descriptive terms to try and personify the anomlay that is me and seeing as how you are trying to come off as condescendat I won't judge you on that account sir. As your superior intellect probably can't come to terms with the fact that my arguement makes more logical sense than the whole ping/timzone issue > population issue which seems to the responsive trend to the solution to fix said issue, you have decided to try and tear my mentality apart as your egotistical line of thought simply will not allow the fact I made more sense than everyone else (specifically you as you have taken the time to think about my headspace).

Dude, you are retarded and you spell at the level of a 5 year old. 300 concurrent players on Ilum and the fleet, Monday was still double Xp until sometime in the evening, so a lot of people were levelling alts. Even If they weren't, that's hundreds of concurrent users, not including those in ops, fps, wzs, space combat, planets, etc. If you log on to Dalborra off-peak, there will be a lot more people on the fleet because nobody is off doing content in a group. If you think that SWTOR has 2,000,000 concurrent users, then you're the stupidest person on this forum by a long shot.

Not representative of the whole community on GD, but I'm guessing that quite a few people left to get away from some of these obnoxious pre-teen keyboard warriors. Dalborra is so much friendlier.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, 220ms is one way travel times. The server sends out something is happening, .22 of a second later you receive this data and your client presents whatever cue you need to respond to. .3s later, the average human reaction time kicks in. You respond and then another .22 of a second later, the server gets the response and applies the action to the simulation. From the event happening on the server, until the server gets your response is much much longer than .22s, it's in fact .22 + .3 + .22 = 0.74s. Yes, this kid doesn't understand SI units, but still, 3/4 of a second from a 220ms ping, especially responding to a 1s cast time, is going to remove almost all room for error. Edited by Sydexlic

Wow no. MILISECONDS. 220ms = 0.22 second.

Action happens you see it in .22 of a second, you react and .22 of a second later it happens in game, that nearly 1/2 second,

work that in with my lag to us servers at anywhere from 340 to 600... tell me what you get and then how I can combat a 1 second interrupt.

This Thread is for APAC players who want to voice their disgust at EA/BIO...

Well no. This thread was made to inquire to EA/bioware about the state of the Apac servers, problems with the apac servers, concerns, bugs and fix times etc

Not to voice disgust at EA/Bioware.

Well no. This thread was made to inquire to EA/bioware about the state of the Apac servers, problems with the apac servers, concerns, bugs and fix times etc

Not to voice disgust at EA/Bioware.

You just contradicted yourself...

Wow no. MILISECONDS. 220ms = 0.22 second.

Yeah, so his best ping gives him quarter a second delay......on everything he does and other people do, everything he sees, tries to dodge, cast bars, everything. Thats a big delay on anything that requires speed or RWZ's. Say goodbye to interupts. Even high end ops.

And that was his best ping from while he was on.

Im not saying its not doable, but it sux big time. Many of us would be excluded from rated pvp teams for that sort of thing.

Its sub par playing, which is why we all swamped to the apac servers in the first place.

Its obvious.

Action happens you see it in .22 of a second, you react and .22 of a second later it happens in game, that nearly 1/2 second,

work that in with my lag to us servers at anywhere from 340 to 600... tell me what you get and then how I can combat a 1 second interrupt.

Ping is the response time of the server dude.

In other words, the amount of time it takes for a packet to make a ROUND TRIP from your computer to the server and pack.

Regardless what I have... a 220ms Ping is causing a 1-2 second delay... most PVPer's would agree that can be the difference between killing your opponent or dying...

Anyway if you are American... what do you care... it won't effect you... so go Troll someplace else and let the APAC players voice their opinions to EA/BIO... instead of you filling it up with your nonsense

Sorry, not American. Well my friends ping was about 180 and he definitely didnt get anything close to a 1-2 second delay lol.

Yeah, so his best ping gives him quarter a second delay......on everything he does and other people do, everything he sees, tries to dodge, cast bars, everything. Thats a big delay on anything that requires speed or RWZ's. Say goodbye to interupts. Even high end ops.

And that was his best ping from while he was on.

Im not saying its not doable, but it sux big time. Many of us would be excluded from rated pvp teams for that sort of thing.

Its sub par playing, which is why we all swamped to the apac servers in the first place.

Its obvious.

0.22 seconds. A US player will have an advantage over you of 0.18 to 0.12 seconds. That's not that bad.

Ping is the response time of the server dude.

In other words, the amount of time it takes for a packet to make a ROUND TRIP from your computer to the server and pack.

And that negates my statement how, a round trip is for one action not two re-read it

lol @ "2 million". This game doesn't even have half that amount.

That was taken out of a quote from Bioware stating since free to play launched they have had 2mil increase in players to the game, was even talked about on latest Game Beaker TV show 'The Republic".

Actually, 220ms is one way travel times. The server sends out something is happening, .22 of a second later you receive this data and your client presents whatever cue you need to respond to. .3s later, the average human reaction time kicks in. You respond and then another .22 of a second later, the server gets the response and applies the action to the simulation. From the event happening on the server, until the server gets your response is much much longer than .22s, it's in fact .22 + .3 + .22 = 0.74s. Yes, this kid doesn't understand SI units, but still, 3/4 of a second from a 220ms ping, especially responding to a 1s cast time, is going to remove almost all room for error.

Ping is actually a measurement of a ROUND TRIP travel time. Doubling the ping number is just wrong.

Ping = total time for a packet to be sent to server-side and for server to respond and update client-side.

And that negates my statement how, a round trip is for one action not two re-read it

Let's do this in steps:

1) Droid is standing still -> time elapsed = 0.0 seconds

2) Client-side (player) activates force-lightning -> packet gets sent to server-side instructing server to update game-state

3) Server-side receives packet, updates game state and returns updated game-state to client-side

4) Busted droid appears on your screen

Time it takes to complete steps 1-4 = "ping".

Edited by iheartnyc

Honestly?

My IQ is 150, I am the first graduate to earn an MA from my institution in the last decade with a perfect 4.0, have numerous institutional-level award winning pieces of research, literally earned every single academic honor offered within my department and university, and have earned a fully funded ride to finish out my Doctorate while I work on publishing independent research.

So, I would infer that I am slightly above the curve of "stupid."

Thanks for asking though, but, this is relevant to the discussion how?

I remember there are a guy babling about this IQ score before on this forum then got his logic handed to his ***, is that you ?

Don't you know how pointless it is to brag about your IQ on the INTERNET ?

You are NOT AFFECTED by this merge. If it's affect you by a tiny bit you will be the first one to cry

You try to say it's ok if WHOLE COMMUNITY got screwed ? And is it their fault ?

I played on US server and i have good ping. But before when i still at my country i used to endure 400-500ms ping in WoW so i can underestand how hard it is for pvp ( interupt, backstab etc ) especially when you are used with 40-50ms.

I can't understand this decision and really sympathize with the APAC community. In this merge you lost 1/your name 2/your ping ( big deal on a MMO ) and according to EAWARE you gain bigger population, but since there are big different between the time zone and big amount of APAC people going to unsub i don't think the "bigger population" reason is valid.

Thanks for asking though, but, this is relevant to the discussion how?

Because you sound STUPID and i don't think anyone want to argue with STUPID. That's how mister 150-IQ- ON-DA-INTERNET-!!!11!!1

0.22 seconds. A US player will have an advantage over you of 0.18 to 0.12 seconds. That's not that bad.

Your math is flawed

Action.22

Reaction .22 approximately

Actual action in game .22

total .66

US

action .03

reaction .22

Actual action in game 0.3

total 0.28

How is that not bad?

Your math is flawed

Action.22

Reaction .22 approximately

Actual action in game .22

total .66

US

action .03

reaction .22

Actual action in game 0.3

total 0.28

How is that not bad?

Lol read my other responses.

Ping = round trip response time of a server. In other words, time it takes for a packet to be sent to server, server to update game state, and return game state to client-side. From my other post:

Let's do this in steps:

2) Client-side (player) activates force-lightning -> packet gets sent to server-side instructing server to update game-state

3) Server-side receives packet, updates game state and returns updated game-state to client-side

That's why they call it "ping" back from the old submarine days when sonar used to "ping" underwater objects which would reflect sound waves emitted underwater back to the submarine and the time elapsed woudl be used to calculate distance. In other words, the "round trip" aspect is fundamental to very idea of ping.

Edited by iheartnyc

Let's do this in steps:

A person doesn't stand still, you have no player lag there and the lag to return "fire"

Not to mention UI lag and the occasional misfire.

A ping is an average, and subject to packet loss, and spikes, your game may well say 220ms where in fact for 1 second you had 1000.

if that's the 1 second you needed your dead, having raided wow recently and running at 340ms I have died a couple of time to the despawning floor in a raid and both times I was in my view standing at least 2 feet away.

Edited by Nommaz

Hey everyone,

To clarify a bit more about this decision. We did previously ask what folks on the forums would like to do as an APAC solution and some, but not all, offered up the solution of merging all APAC into one. The other option on the table was to merge APAC into the NA servers. When we discussed the options internally we looked to address everyone’s primary issues with APAC, low populations were creating a less than optimal game experience.

We went and looked at what current server populations looked like across all of APAC and to put it simply, even merging all of APAC together into one server would not solve the population problems. Even with that solution you would still see long queue times for things like Warzones and Group Finder. It was because of this that we decided that moving APAC into the NA servers was the best option.

One thing to note is that there is no catchall solution here. If we move APAC to NA some folks will see increased latency, but they will have healthy server populations and can remain on their chosen server types. If we merge everyone into one APAC server, latency will remain in place but the current population issues will exist and players will lose their preferred server type. Leaving things as they are leaves all of the current issues in place without a solution at all. This is one of the reasons getting the plan out to you folks took so long, we had to think long and hard about all of the implications of our decision.

-eric

You claim to be worried about a 'less than optimal gaming experience.' And yet, here you are, moving us to servers which (during our peak times when the Americans tend to be asleep) have only slightly higher if not the same populations during these times. Still, you'll drastically reduce our gameplay- before someone comes along and questions that, I know, I've tried Warzones and even PVE on the Harbinger can be an absolute unplayable nightmare if you're connection isn't actually from the world of Star Wars - thus decreasing 'our optimal gaming experience.'

Surely you must realise this? Why not begin actually advertising the game in Australia and Asia Pacific? I'm sure that a few posters in shops and maybe (shock horror) an advertisement of some kind on Youtube targetted at Australian people or on TV would go an extremely long way.

You are talking of creating an 'optimum gaming experience.' What I believe to be this- alongside many others- is before all the gameplay. Without good gameplay, we couldn't care less about Warzone queues and Group Finder queues. It's the reason we wanted to merge our servers- we do all benefit. While we lose our 'preferred style of play' voluntary server transfers to the US could be requested. We would still be happy as population would still mildly increase, and we wouldn't be playing with US servers. Reconsider, we all beg of you. Just see the various petitions, you're just about sealing the coffin in your game for this side of the world.

If that's a problem, I propose to you you leave the servers the same and focus on seeing if US/European servers WANT to join us. Population would increase. No one would be forced to do anything. We're happy, you retain the same amount of players you would have if you hadn't made the mistake of announcing this.

Reconsider. Please.

If we wanted to play with greater populations, we would have bought the game three months earlier and played in US servers. We'd be used to them by now.

If we wanted to play with greater populations after we bought the game, we would have created our characters there rather than on Asia Pacific servers.

Instead, we made our characters on Asia Pacific Servers because we love the people there and some of us actually LIKE the quiet populations as opposed to being surrounded. I have a Guild (Run one, actually) so that we don't have to worry about queues and waits.

It's why we're a community. Clearly, Bioware/EA, you don't understand the concept of the word.

We Asia Pacific People have a friendly community, knowing each other and having great conversations without much rudeness. Tonight, I went to the Harbinger and was savaged by foreigners after informing them I was Australian. Apparently "We don't belong there." Funnily enough, We agree.

I went to The Harbinger to see what it would be like. Instantly I suffered lag when I stepped onto Korriban of all places. On Dalborra, Korriban flows as smoothly as a river, completely lag free. On the Harbinger every ten seconds or so the game would jump. I can just imagine that in an Op or Warzone...

Speaking in a majority, most players have clearly wanted to either merge all of the Asia Pacific servers together, or even just leave them as they are as opposed to this ridiculous server transfer. So why not win public favour, Bioware? Rejuvenate your game and earn the support of your subscribers and players.

If you manage to not to do this we'll be happy. Some have unsubscribed. If this is about server populations, you've actually put a dent in them rather than increase them with this idea.

We beg you, as an Asia Pacific Community, RECONSIDER. Change!

Exactly.

"Oh, but there'll be more on at different times!" Bioware says. Last time I checked, some of those favourite times are when we Australians are asleep. We don't want this! I know it's been floating a bit but I saw it before and apparently people on Dalborra Fleet Chat (Which had more people than Bastion); http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...ignatures.html - A petition that hopefully someone might look at.

Please, Bioware, there are people like me who have backed you up before and defended you. Don't 'repay' our faith with this, or you'll lose it in seconds.

LOOK AT

THIS PETITION, BIOWARE/EA. PLAYERS, PLEASE SIGN IT IN CASE BIOWARE ACTUALLY LISTEN!

A person doesn't stand still you have no player lag there and the lag to return "fire"

Not to mention UI lag and the occasional misfire.

A ping is an average, and subject to packet loss, and spikes, your game may well say 220ms where in fact for 1 second you had 1000.

if that's the 1 second you needed your dead, having raided wow recently and running at 340ms I have died a couple of time to the despawning floor in a raid and both times I was in my view standing at least 2 feet away.

Lol if you had a ping of 1000 for 1 second that's called a lag-spike and you should contact your ISP. Or maybe it's client-side harddrive/memory/graphics card issues.

Also, a ping is not an average. It is always updating between packets. Calculating ping is a very low memory intensive application which is why it is always on and always working and the number may vary or fluctuate, but any such fluctuations are usually attributable to your computer or your ISP.

Ping is correlated to distance to server. There are latency reduction technologies which servers can employ, but generally the hardware itself is very stable.

And you're assuming that these packet losses and spikes only affect APAC players. They can happen to anyone with an unreliable internet connection.

What IS stable is that on average, a US player will only have an advantage of roughly 0.12 to 0.18 seconds over APAC players (assuming US player averages 50ms and APAC averages 200ms).

Edited by iheartnyc

You claim to be worried about a 'less than optimal gaming experience.' And yet, here you are, moving us to servers which (during our peak times when the Americans tend to be asleep) have only slightly higher if not the same populations during these times. Still, you'll drastically reduce our gameplay- before someone comes along and questions that, I know, I've tried Warzones and even PVE on the Harbinger can be an absolute unplayable nightmare if you're connection isn't actually from the world of Star Wars - thus decreasing 'our optimal gaming experience.'

If you don't have anything new to contribute other than repeating and rehasing what yourself and others have said so many times already, why do you persist?

I kind of feel like you're trying to drown out the voices of those who are trying to make the best of this situation.

I'd rather see people keep playing the game than seeing people spreading misinformation regarding lag (read my posts, most people don't understand what lag is or how ping works) in an effort to get people to unsub and kill the game.

There are people who have serious questions about the playability on US servers and I think they deserve to know what it will be like based on technical metrics rather than anectodal "i tried and lagged out at 600 ping so it is not even worth trying because I was lagged for 5 seconds and was dead when I unfroze."

Edited by iheartnyc