Anyone have any clarification on naming conflicts during transfers?

SpazCats

I see in the FAQ, Bioware states;

"We are aware of how important character names are to our players and so we have taken a number of factors into consideration where naming conflicts occur as a result of consolidations."

What does this mean exactly? Has anyone found any clarification on this?

EDIT: Here's the link to the FAQ; http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6679

Edited by SpazCats

No but Blackavar is looking still I guess for that other thread.

Yeah, I still don't see a reply from him yet either.

Strange that Bioware would word that so vaguely when they have to know about the specifics. They really should have just laid out the specifics in the FAQ.

I'm on a destination server, and managed to keep my main's name from when I transferred to it before (whew), but I have a feeling my name may not be safe anyway.

Strange that Bioware would word that so vaguely when they have to know about the specifics. They really should have just laid out the specifics in the FAQ.

I don't think it means anything, and frankly it's a can of worms they put right in front of the players to dump out and play with.

The consolidation happens tomorrow, and if they had any sort of precedence rules (other then first come first served) they would need to tell us about it it seems. So I think this was just their way of saying they are not using a blind folded spastic dart thrower for name collision resolution.

NOW, if you think about it... first come, first served, means that the first server moved gets precedence right behind the destination server. Rinse and repeat. So my quess is that what they are alluding to is precisely this. But again, it's a bad move on their part because there are already a lot of worked up people complaining and demanding special treatmen. This vaguery on their part just invites more of it.

Edited by Andryah

I see in the FAQ, Bioware states;

"We are aware of how important character names are to our players and so we have taken a number of factors into consideration where naming conflicts occur as a result of consolidations."

What does this mean exactly? Has anyone found any clarification on this?

EDIT: Here's the link to the FAQ; http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6679

Though there is no official answer I would guess they are going to take into account:

Character Age

Account age

Account status (active/cancelled)

Time played

Etc

I don't understand why they won't give us the specifics. It would save a lot of anxiety, and a lot of forum space. It's a little odd that they won't.

Its likely that whatever they are doing now might have saved original names from people who lost them on the voluntary mergers, in which case they don't want to say anything for fear of us wanting terrible things to befall them.

Though there is no official answer I would guess they are going to take into account:

Character Age

Account age

Time played

Etc

If you are suggesting that character names on the destination server might get bounced... I strongly disagree with you. That would be a PR nightmare.

If you are saying this would only be applied to characters being moved, meh.... I don't see why they would do it. It's not like there are a large number of active subscriptions with characters over on the locked servers. Yeah there are some for sure, but can't be that many really.... mostly people who had a character cap during voluntary transfers.

Edited by Andryah

I doubt it means any thing. If BW were to implement some of the changes suggested here, then people who transferred months ago would complain louder. BW is a losing situation no matter what they do. It's best BW choose the least of evils. Besides, the number of players left on origin servers who haven't transferred due to losing their name is insignificant at this point. Each time I log onto my old origin server I was the only one on the server. Edited by Knockerz

Looking at the list, there is no destination server. Just a new mega server sharing the same name as one of the origin servers.

Ooh, this is a good point. This, with the wording from Bioware of "we have taken a number of factors into consideration where naming conflicts occur", makes me really lean to the thought that name conflicts will be something along the lines of what Maxumus said, regardless of "destination" or "origin" server status;

Character Age

Account age

Time played

Etc

IF this is the case, I think it is a more fair way of resolving name conflicts, but it is really going to suck for the people who already lost their name(s) to low level, seldom played characters during the first set of transfers. It should have been done this way from the beginning.

Edited by SpazCats

My guess is: if you are active and on a destination server, all of your characters above level 10 are safe.

Hopefully they give preference to transfer players over inactive names or reserved names. No, your level 1 reserved name should not take precedence over a level 50 with 10 days played. Don't be selfish :p

Even on the main transfer page, they say SOME of your characters will be on another server. If they were scrapping all of them and just using some of the old names, they would not be just SOME of your characters on a different server.

That was if you had characters from different servers going to different destination servers.

TBH, the only way for them to be fair to everyone is take all the origin servers, and destination server, and seperate out the names from there. It would be more fair than only the one server being safe from name loss.

I just don't think they would be listing the destination servers also as a origin server if they didn't intend to give everyone on the new mega server equal treatment.

If they REALLY wanted to be fair, they would have come up with a way for people to share first names, and have some other way to identify eachother. Like a yiggy@sithwyrm, or a maximillian@corellianrun. Using your original server name as @origin.

FOUND SOMETHING possibly useful for this

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=531968&page=2

here is a direct quote from yellow name

Edited answer below for clarity:

Keep in mind that this is only a test. When the new high population server tech goes live, we will be consolidating current origin server characters onto destination servers. Right now, you are seeing a LOT of destination servers being consolidated onto one PTS server as a test. This will not be the case when consolidation actually occurs.

Bingo!

Unfortunately, this is only a test and as such, we are only testing East Coast servers. All servers will be included when the actual consolidation of origin servers onto higher population destination servers occurs.

With that being said, let's keep this thread clean and post any bugs or issues that you come across!

I personally an on Prophecy of the five currently, but from the look of this reply, we can assume current destination server names might be kept

Edited by AnHero

That was if you had characters from different servers going to different destination servers.

TBH, the only way for them to be fair to everyone is take all the origin servers, and destination server, and seperate out the names from there. It would be more fair than only the one server being safe from name loss.

I just don't think they would be listing the destination servers also as a origin server if they didn't intend to give everyone on the new mega server equal treatment.

If they REALLY wanted to be fair, they would have come up with a way for people to share first names, and have some other way to identify eachother. Like a yiggy@sithwyrm, or a maximillian@corellianrun. Using your original server name as @origin.

If it was all new servers with just the same names, then ALL characters would be on new servers and not just SOME.

But you found ONE place --- the Matrix -- which is vague about it at best to support your everyone is being moved even those already on servers named as destination servers. I have shown more than one that shows that is not the case.

Edited by Jacen_Starsolo

I guess we'll find out, but they're messing up again by giving one group immunity, and screwing others.

Yes. Now I already had to go throw one move and they moved me to a server that is still on the destination list. But I had to rename most of my characters back then. Only because someone on that server already had the name. Oh and btw, this server was not one of the originals in prelaunch so I know I had the name before whoever had it on the server.

Now if they pull some date created can bounce a name already in use on the server BS, that means I should have bounced someone already but yet someone tomorrow can grab the name I had to change to? If that's what BW has in store, there will be a storm on their forums that would be stronger than a F5 category twister.