Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Will day ever end, will the weather ever change?

SikrouDeco

No.

I love it when people say "It can't be hard". You have any idea what goes into making it like that? Clearly not. Just because another game does it does not make it easy. It has to be planned that way from the start. Shadows are baked into the textures in this game, and while I haven't played lotro, I bet they are not baked in that game. This is a time consuming process and would require a huge effort to change.

If you love it when people say it, then why complain when they do? It isn't hard. Just very time consuming, and no resources to do it. Therefore the cycles will not happen. That and the game engine is CRAP!

Edited by xorcist

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Necccrrrooooomancer. I'm going to start calling Ducky the Necromancer. Seems he picked up right where he left off before he quit the firs time.

I couldn't care less about day, night, or weather. Fix the bugs and give us new content. In the off chance all of that is finished, pull in the dates for the Secret Space Program.

Probably never. Its been pointed out a 1000 times the planets are a certain cut of time. The engine, lighting, etc was never designed with dynamic weather. It would be a major overhaul to do so. Its not like they can go "POOF" and dynamic weather.

If you think dynamic weather will make or break this game...I'm not sure what to say. Its trivial in the bigger scheme. Yes, your request is trivial.

/kill it with fire, necro thread.

That's like saying colour crystals won't make or break a game......... they won't, but everything adds up.

There is an appropriate amount of time after which its reasonable to create a new thread rather than necro an old one(unless of course the old one is still active).

The truth is... my diabolical plan was to bump and necro old threads about stuff that I still have issues with in TOR. I knew exactly that these threads would take off again as soon as I bumped them as these issues are still looming around the game and I want freeples to see this game isn't all sunshine that they may think it is.

Rafaman figured all this out this morning and caught onto what I was doing. I honestly thought BioWare closed these threads long ago but they never did. I couldn't help myself and didn't want to miss the opportunity to do so. Don't get me wrong I know you guys hate all the doom and gloom but I do love this game and want key things in this game to enhance my gameplay. If stuff like this keeps getting thrown under the bus and BioWare chooses to ignore it then this I the best I can do.

Edited by DuckKing

The truth is... my diabolical plan was to bump and necro old threads about stuff that I still have issues with in TOR. I knew exactly that these threads would take off again as soon as I bumped them as these issues are still looming around the game and I want freeples to see this game isn't all sunshine that they may think it is.

Rafaman figured all this out this morning and caught onto what I was doing. I honestly thought BioWare closed these threads long ago but they never did. I couldn't help myself and didn't want to miss the opportunity to do so. Don't get me wrong I know you guys hate all the doom and gloom but I do love this game and want key things in this game to enhance my gameplay. If stuff like this keeps getting thrown under the bus and BioWare chooses to ignore it then this I the best I can do.

I doubt any freeples visiting the forums came away with pictures of butterflies and rainbows in their heads. The kind of threads that you've bumped so far are hardly doom and gloom and are generally constructive suggestions, they just happen to be necros. BTW odds are you'll have better luck with player housing and chat bubbles, because those are things that the game had in beta, they just lagged the hell out of the game(much like the dynamic NPC code that they implemented in August just after the Grand Acquisition Race). If you want to try to get sandbox features into the game faster, I'd start with the things that they've basically got a structure for and then work your way downwards towards things like day/night cycle which would be entirely new systems for them to build(even though day/night looks comparatively small when we're talking about the apartments and chat bubbles).

I doubt any freeples visiting the forums came away with pictures of butterflies and rainbows in their heads. The kind of threads that you've bumped so far are hardly doom and gloom and are generally constructive suggestions, they just happen to be necros. BTW odds are you'll have better luck with player housing and chat bubbles, because those are things that the game had in beta, they just lagged the hell out of the game(much like the dynamic NPC code that they implemented in August just after the Grand Acquisition Race). If you want to try to get sandbox features into the game faster, I'd start with the things that they've basically got a structure for and then work your way downwards towards things like day/night cycle which would be entirely new systems for them to build(even though day/night looks comparatively small when we're talking about the apartments and chat bubbles).

I can honestly wait and have the patience for this stuff and wouldn't mind if sandbox features came down the road in 3 years or more. I just wish BioWare would acknowledge this stuff so there could be some sliver of hope. I'm sure they have seen the beatin dead horse but I don't think they care about it.

After all guys... everything in this game is for "Art Direction." Chairs all around us that we can't even sit in... other little things we can't even interact with. -sigh-

Edited by DuckKing

They've already said that they can't just add day/night to planets already in-game. That being said, they've never said their engine couldn't handle it for future planets.:)

Certainly the Hero Engine can, but whether SWTORs early version of it can is another issue.

I can honestly wait and have the patience for this stuff and wouldn't mind if sandbox features came down the road in 3 years or more. I just wish BioWare would acknowledge this stuff so there could be some sliver of hope. I'm sure they have seen the beatin dead horse but I don't think they care about it.

After all guys... everything in this game is for "Art Direction." Chairs all around us that we can't even sit in... other little things we can't even interact with. -sigh-

I think Makeb is the crux - whatever is in Makeb will be all there'll EVER be in SWTOR (for good or bad).

Gameplay? Not a lot (unless it's as dark as EQ1 was in 1999), but neither do many things like colour crystals, races, DS looks or orange gear etc. etc..

Sabers and Star Wars motif gear make it Star Wars... day or night, rain or shine does not. They are not the same thing.

Sabers and Star Wars motif gear make it Star Wars... day or night, rain or shine does not. They are not the same thing.

Again not really, they could have had a very limited number of colours and made them unswapable, and being able to choose the look of your gear again isn't a gameplay or game breaking issue.

Day/Night isn't either, but it adds a LOT to the quality of the game.

Again not really, they could have had a very limited number of colours and made them unswapable, and being able to choose the look of your gear again isn't a gameplay or game breaking issue.

Day/Night isn't either, but it adds a LOT to the quality of the game.

But not near as much quality as fixing bugs over one year old. And ultimately, if you are playing long enough in a sitting to notice day/night or sunny/rainy...

These are non-issue fluff. There are more important things to do. Once they've fixed all the real problems they can get back to the fluff.

I say this is an important issue IMO. I would like to see day and night cycles on a FEW planets, not all of them.

I can buy that some would be in perpetual darkness or light depending on location, rotation, etc. I think that the capital planets should have day/night cycles with increased difficulty at night, and perhaps a few more like Hoth (with a small damage modifier for cold at night), Tatooine (many more mobs out at night) and maybe Alderaan might be good.

Would also like to see chat bubbles for /say, local only. It should be a feature that someone can shut off to reduce frame loss.

If you arrive at a new planet and play straight through you can finish within a few hours easily.

If i go to a baseball game and i am there for a few hours, the day doesn't necessarily become night, nor does the weather change. Perhaps your character arrived in the morning. Weather often doesn't change for days or at times weeks.

Not to mention your on another planet, its not Earth. Who's to say that face of the planet doesn't face its Sun for 100 hours before "night" falls.

So while i understand the point of this thread, for those who think its "immersion breaking", perhaps folks just need a better imagination to accept what can and can't be... in a game set in a completely made-up universe.

If they add it fine, but there are other things that general consensus seems to think is more important for now. Its never bothered me much, though of the options, I'd prefer some occasional dynamic weather over day/night.

If you arrive at a new planet and play straight through you can finish within a few hours easily.

If i go to a baseball game and i am there for a few hours, the day doesn't necessarily become night, nor does the weather change. Perhaps your character arrived in the morning. Weather often doesn't change for days or at times weeks.

Not to mention your on another planet, its not Earth. Who's to say that face of the planet doesn't face its Sun for 100 hours before "night" falls.

So while i understand the point of this thread, for those who think its "immersion breaking", perhaps folks just need a better imagination to accept what can and can't be... in a game set in a completely made-up universe.

If they add it fine, but there are other things that general consensus seems to think is more important for now. Its never bothered me much, though of the options, I'd prefer some occasional dynamic weather over day/night.

Except...

TOR planets have almost no connection to reality. They are generally smaller than your average IKEA store. They have highly realistic features like "lost cities" within shouting distance of militaty outposts, or wild animals terrorizing the populace while within bow and arrow range of highly advanced military units with laser weapons and spaceships.

Weather is not that important. If it was, they would be working on it.

Again that is a non-arguement,

The list of things that would be great for SWTOR that Bioware EA aren't working on is immense.

Day/Night and Weather is just one of them. :csw_yoda:

Edited by Goretzu

But not near as much quality as fixing bugs over one year old. And ultimately, if you are playing long enough in a sitting to notice day/night or sunny/rainy...

These are non-issue fluff. There are more important things to do. Once they've fixed all the real problems they can get back to the fluff.

Bug fixing is (or should be) a seperate issue, and the fact we still have so many bugs from release and even Beta after a whole year Live is a serious one. :(

However it neither adds nor takes aways from what SWTOR would gain from Day/Night and Weather, it is a completely seperate thing.

Edited by Goretzu

Bug fixing is (or should be) a seperate issue, and the fact we still have so many bugs from release and even Beta after a whole year Live is a serious one. :(

However it neither adds nor takes aways from what SWTOR would gain from Day/Night and Weather, it is a completely seperate thing.

Day/Night and Weather adds nothing to the game. Nothing. That's the point. Nothing about the game will change with a day/night cycle or some random rain. If it's that important you can darken your screen using Brightness and Contrast and if you squint at the monitor it sorta looks like rain...but what about the game play has changed? Nothing.

There are a limited amount of resources available for development. If those resources are adding in day/night or weather effects they aren't working on more important stuff. I see art clipping and animation bugs as magnitudes of order more important than whether or not it gets dark outside while I'm running around piling up a body count. So while bugs are a separate issue than fluff, they all share resources and bugs should get priority over anything else...and that includes content at this point.

Day/Night and Weather adds nothing to the game. Nothing. That's the point. Nothing about the game will change with a day/night cycle or some random rain. If it's that important you can darken your screen using Brightness and Contrast and if you squint at the monitor it sorta looks like rain...but what about the game play has changed? Nothing.

There are a limited amount of resources available for development. If those resources are adding in day/night or weather effects they aren't working on more important stuff. I see art clipping and animation bugs as magnitudes of order more important than whether or not it gets dark outside while I'm running around piling up a body count. So while bugs are a separate issue than fluff, they all share resources and bugs should get priority over anything else...and that includes content at this point.

Of course it does, it gives the illusion of change, it takes the eye away from the staticness and deadness of a filmset world.

There's a reason why pretty much every MMORPG ever to have existed has had it, except SWTOR.

Of course it does, it gives the illusion of change, it takes the eye away from the staticness and deadness of a filmset world.

There's a reason why pretty much every MMORPG ever to have existed has had it, except SWTOR.

Except I don't see any static, film set world since I don't sit still in one spot for hours at a time. Reality trumps illusion.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.