People quitting because no unique legacy names?

MightyVittey

This is why other fans of games dont like us BW fans... good job keep up the whining, hell next. Lets take down Pepsi or coke, Lets complain their labels suck!

Would you be happy if someone stole your identity? Probably not. So much for being "unique" in this game.

Doesn't really matter if it's driving us to unsub really, does it?

We'll unsub & then you fanbois won't have to worry about us in the forums any more anyway :)

Been in this game since the start, and this isn't the only issue that's causing myself & others to leave, but it IS the straw that broke the camel's back. Not worried about negative replies, won't be around to read them as I'll be playing other functioning games, so enjoy :)

They should let a person know if your Legacy name is about to be taken, IE can this person use your name. Yes or No. The people in the forums that are happy with it can tick yes. The people who put thought and effort into finding a name canput no. Maybe this should be an option given to founders. There are some decent people on these forums, but there are people that have multiple accounts and just keep posting against this arguement. Something needs to be done with legacy names, hopefully Bio will address it in a democratic manner.

if someone quits over this their weird. theres lots of people on planet earth with the same last name as you.

Maybe it's because they work they put into getting far enough into the story to make that unique legacy name they've been wanting all those levels since starting. That maybe why. I lost mine due to transfer but I got a variant of it now. Nerfs and the like all trying to conform to the whining of the masses. I say leave the names be. I don't have my original name, but oh well.

They were going to quit anyway. This doesnt affect your character being unique. Your toon's name is still unique. If you cant find a unique legacy name, thats on you. This was a reasonable change in order to handle the server merges AND the F2P crowd.

While allowing anyone to have any legacy name may be for the upcoming flux of players when 1.4 drops, I personally am disappointed. The pros and cons that I can think of are:

Pros: New players can use a legacy name they want and transfer players can use the legacy name that they had from their last server.

Cons: Players can mimic another player by using their legacy name, legacy uniqueness is lost, and the whole idea of the legacy system is defeated.

I can go both ways on this, though I am leaning towards keeping it unique. I really hope that Bioware will consider this. I personally won't quit because I love Star Wars: The Old Republic and I hope they keep the content coming, sadly this in my opinion is where they're going wrong. Maybe they will prove me wrong, only time will tell.

more pros:

People who run 2 accounts can share a legacy name

Also, couples who play can have the same last name. My wife and I both play, it's something we're looking forward to. Granted sharing last names and/or pretending to be married in game is roleplayish, but whatever.

On a side note to a previous post - people don't tend to mock others who don't stand out in some fashion.

I, personally, would rather not risk the chance I'm sharing my Legacy name with one or more members of my server who like harassing and trolling roleplayers, since I am a roleplayer and I'm on a roleplay server so I can roleplay with people. Which is not so far-fetched: One of my alts was mistaken for the alt of another player with a similar Legacy name and the confusion wasn't cleared up until the accuser's friend pointed out mine had an "e" instead of an "a" in it. So I'm not displaying my Legacy name anymore, which irritates me because I'm rather fond of it.

It was a stupid change to make to solve an even stupider complaint. This would be like if they removed every droid in the game because beta testers didn't like the little Power Rangers toodle the astromechs make. It was decisions like this catering to a minority group of whiners that made me jump from WoW into SWTOR in the first place. I'd rather the marketing team stop trying to please everyone and let the devs focus on patching bugs and releasing new content.

From an RP perspective having the same legacy name can be cool.

Plus now people wont lose the name when they get transfered.

People were going to complain anyway, between names not being unique or name being lost due to forced transfers, this IMO is the lesser of the two.

Being someone with a very common name in RL, I don't really have a problem with it from an identity standpoint.

I lost a great legacy name when I transferred because someone else had it. I don't like the one I have now. I've never seen anyone online using the name i wanted, so i'm going to use it (once we are allowed to change).

This isn't game breaking. This isn't something that should be driving people away from this game. It does eliminate the concept of your legacy being unique, though. Just one more element being sacrificed for the sake of free to play. :rolleyes:

Doesn't really matter if it's driving us to unsub really, does it?

We'll unsub & then you fanbois won't have to worry about us in the forums any more anyway :)

Been in this game since the start, and this isn't the only issue that's causing myself & others to leave, but it IS the straw that broke the camel's back. Not worried about negative replies, won't be around to read them as I'll be playing other functioning games, so enjoy :)

Precisely these replies. It was the final straw out of many other irksome decisions.

Being on a destination server, I heard FAR more complaints about people losing their character names than I heard about legacy names being lost. Wouldn't it make more sense to have 1 unique name tie 8 shareable names together rather than 8 unique names tied to 1 shareable?

I am upset about it because it seems like the easier route but not the right route. I am upset about being completely blindsided by it. (Seriously, who saw that coming?) Other aspects of this game were upsetting but I kept paying and playing because it was worth it to me.

~180 dollars have gone from my pocket into this game and that doesn't bother me because I enjoyed it. However, I don't feel like paying another 15 dollars to it. When things I want to pay for are implemented, I'll gladly pay for them. Until then, I'll be one of those free-to-play monstrosities they seem to be trying so hard to please. D:

Edited by SimplyKupo

Legacy/surnames are not unique anyway eg Skywalkas skywalkaz it's the same meaning Id be also really surprised if someone randomly or coincidently Copied my legacy name

Also this is a step toward prepping the game for xrealm pvp pve

It's all good

Let the snowflakes quit

Edited by denpic