Legacy Names no longer unique

mrpayday

This whole thing is further proof that MMO players literally cannot be satisfied.

(...)

But seriously? All this sturm and drang over legacy names? Really? Grow the heck up, people!

Well, aside from the fact that you apparently have a somewhat lacking idea of what Sturm und Drang actually was, you really seem to miss the simplest things.

Like, don't take stuff away from your customers.

The player's perception is clear: We had unique legacy names, now they are taken away, In favour of new non-paying bastards nobody really knows anything about.

Stupid idea. Of course people will be outraged - what did they think?

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad that they are doing this. It will let me use the same legacy name for both of my accounts instead of having to use an alternate spelling for one of them. I'm sure that there are other people that will be doing the same thing, whether or not it is a person with more than one account, or people from the same family using the same legacy name.

Legacy names aren't unique...BW do you realize how many *********** Skywalkers there will be now?! Or Solo? Or Calrissians? Seriously this is stupid as hell. I think I'll rage as soon as I see another guy with my legacy name. I've had it since December, it's always been the same now someone else will have it. Great...

LOL!! Not at all...you just assume that what you read is at face value. Books and movies are based on specific events and you assume because George only spoke of the Skywalker's and Solo's that is based on your opinion which is "There's only one set.....!!!!" What is this the Highlander???!??! There can only be one!!!! LOL!

You really enjoy standing out in a crowd and being the vocal loud person that is the only one to be heard. Anyone who disagrees with you, you like to make fun of to discredit anything they say. You are not helping your cause here. Making fun of people does not help you in the slightest. It will only encourage people, like myself, to treat you the way you treat others.

It's so hard to be original, isn't it?

"Oh hey, I want to use this name that I saw in a book/movie/tv show/video game... Oh, darn. Some other unoriginal person has already claimed it. WAHWAHWAH Bioware, why can't I be unoriginal too? I want to use that name someone else got before me. WAHWAHWAH."

And Bioware caves to this person's whims instead of manning up and saying, "Well, sorry. You got beat to the punch. Why don't you try something original?"

Problem with this thinking is a lot of people didn't get beaten to the punch. The server transfers cheated them out the name they had, in some cases I am sure for players that did not have the name first.

:cool:

My comment was far from sarcastic.

Edit: She is implying that because George Lucas did not specifically mention that there were only one family of Skywalkers, that there must be more than one. I find that to be ridiculous. This is an MMO, in every single MMO I have personally played, there has always been a way to identify your account. With this game, Legacy names were the only way to do so.

As I have said earlier in this thread, if they gave us global names (@Wraiven) I would have no issue with this change. As it stands now, there are no longer anything even remotely close to being a global name. This is what people are upset about. If we had global names, or account names, I honestly do not think anyone would even care about this change, but since Legacy names were the closest way to identify us as individuals, it has become an issue.

People who disagree with this have been taking stabs (poking fun of) at us for being vocal about it. We are starting to tire of this behavior. So now we are beginning to be a little on the defensive about it. IE: "That one went right over your head."

ok and my point is

WoW

SWG

myth of soma

EvE

STO

LOTRO

and the list goes on

how did you manage with out this surname you need so much as a identifier

It's so hard to be original, isn't it?

"Oh hey, I want to use this name that I saw in a book/movie/tv show/video game... Oh, darn. Some other unoriginal person has already claimed it. WAHWAHWAH Bioware, why can't I be unoriginal too? I want to use that name someone else got before me. WAHWAHWAH."

And Bioware caves to this person's whims instead of manning up and saying, "Well, sorry. You got beat to the punch. Why don't you try something original?"

Thats what I'm saying...everyone uses unoriginal names, including myself, its what you know and use and feel your character represents, if I wanted to be "John Doe" I'd be John Doe but most people want to be Luke Skywalker or Han Solo and if there's 20 people with that name then so be it!!!

I see so many duplicate names in every game I play...it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Names mean nothing!!

Actions speaks louder then words!

As I mentioned before, having the same family surname will not be exclusive to you.

Here's my earlier post:

You're in a cantina with your wife. You're Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and you'd like to charter a ship to go to Tatooine.

The smuggler you're hiring says:

"It'll be 10,000 credits each. So 40k will get you your ship."

"But... there's only two of us."

"Oh, sorry. You mean that Sage over there - Bob Smith - he's not with you?"

"No."

"What about Alligator Smith over there?"

"No relation. It's just us two."

Silly isn't it? The Legacy offered up the opportunity to have an individual surname/legacy name if you wanted to display it.

The new system will allow us, to paraphrase Life of Brian, to be individuals together.

;)

Life of Brian FTW or is that P2W :)

Cheers ,

BadOrb.

ok and my point is

WoW: Never played WoW, couldn't tell ya. But I am willing to bet my bottom dollar that you had an account name to make up for it, that identified you as an individual, a name that only you had.

SWG: SWG had Account names that you carried with you on all characters.

myth of soma: Never heard of it.

EvE: Again, had account names.

STO: Had Sir names and account names.

LOTRO: Had account names...

and the list goes on: You're right. Matrix Online: Account names. City of Heroes: Had account names. Champions Online: Had Account names.

how did you manage with out this surname you need so much as a identifier: You seem to misunderstand the point we as a community are trying to make. Hopefully I have made it a bit more understandable for you.

My point being, once again...we do not have account names to distinguish us, or set us apart from the other players that goes with us to every character we have on our account. Legacy Names were the closest thing we had to that. Now we are back at square one again. This is why people are upset. It's not because we lost our Legacy Name individuality, it's because nothing was given to us to replace it.

ok and my point is

WoW

SWG

myth of soma

EvE

STO

LOTRO

and the list goes on

how did you manage with out this surname you need so much as a identifier

Exactly!!! Why is this so hard for people to understand?!?!!?!

It's not game breaking! I would rather see more focus on the actual content of the game then worrying about peoples legacy name getting taken! :rolleyes:

This really renders the Family Tree useless if everyone and anyone can have the same legacy name as you. I would really like to know what their plans are for the Family Tree in Legacy, and if it is even possible to make use of it now with non-unique legacy names.

Exactly!!! Why is this so hard for people to understand?!?!!?!

It's not game breaking! I would rather see more focus on the actual content of the game then worrying about peoples legacy name getting taken! :rolleyes:

Think I covered that in the post above yours.

My point being, once again...we do not have account names to distinguish us, or set us apart from the other players that goes with us to every character we have on our account. Legacy Names were the closest thing we had to that. Now we are back at square one again. This is why people are upset. It's not because we lost our Legacy Name individuality, it's because nothing was given to us to replace it.

Just a clarification: LOTRO doesn't have account names, they have surnames but they are not unique so everyone can have the same surname if they want.

Just a clarification: LOTRO doesn't have account names, they have surnames but they are not unique so everyone can have the same surname if they want.

My mistake. I only played the F2P version of it...could have sworn that game had a way for somebody to reach me, no matter which character I was on, based off a singular name.

Legacy name no longer unique....BAD, BAD, TERRIBLE!

I disagree completely with how this is done. While its good that the guy who made up some goofy Legacy name now gets to change it, I don't think it was the right way to do it.

IMO, They should unbind the First name, with the Legacy name being bound to you. EXAMPLE: My character 'Liam Lightstrider'. By unbinding the First name instead of the Legacy name, BW would be accepting the fact that there might possibly be another person in the galaxy with the first name 'Liam'. Yeah, I guess the same argument can be made about the Legacy name, but seriously...it makes more sense to me to have a galaxy of more 'Liam's' than 'Lightstrider's'.

Just my take on it.

Edited by ObiJuanShenobi

NO WAIT!!! I agree!!! We should ditch all development on the game because we need to make legacy names more valuable!! :rolleyes:

Square one for what!?!?!!? A name?!??! are you kiddng?!!@!@?!1

Give me new content and I'll be happy sharing my name with millions!!!!! :D

This really renders the Family Tree useless if everyone and anyone can have the same legacy name as you. I would really like to know what their plans are for the Family Tree in Legacy, and if it is even possible to make use of it now with non-unique legacy names.

You have people who are related you in real life, right? Does that mean NO ONE ELSE has your last name? Or that someone else having the last name means your family is no longer related to each other the same way?

WoW my main was called Wilhurst my alts where called gabranth golik virtarak and kimaffy

right now no one knew they where all me unless i told them

and thats the same with every other mmo

whats this account name your talking about because i can garantee on all the mmo's i have played not one of them have known my account name that i log in with most of the time its because its my email

Why??!?! You do have a unique name....its called your first name or the one you used at creation? Now you want two unique names?

NO WAIT!!! I agree!!! We should ditch all development on the game because we need to make legacy names more valuable!! :rolleyes:

Square one for what!?!?!!? A name?!??! are you kiddng?!!@!@?!1

Give me new content and I'll be happy sharing my name with millions!!!!! :D

Oh, so them taking the time to make the names available to all players was worth the time spent instead? Hmmm...

So it was worth it only if it benefits you. I see...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.