PvP - soon to take a hit? (GW2 Launch)

eclipce

Different strokes for different folks

The thing that puts me off guild wars is everything is handed to you

There's no sense of achievement for me it would get boring fast

Everything is not handed to you, the progression/achievements are just horizontal not vertical.

Edited by Morrolan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What he is saying is he hasn't played it, hasn't looked at it, and has no clue what he is talking about.

Nope I haven't I Just watched the Vid posted before and it looks Crappy Too

As for everything being handed to you thats all I can assume

When everyone keeps frothing over the great thing about guild wars is no grind for gear it's all given to you when you enter a warzone

As for everything being handed to you thats all I can assume

When everyone keeps frothing over the great thing about guild wars is no grind for gear it's all given to you when you enter a warzone

Congratulations, you are the kind of person who can't imagine anything better that people who make gear grinds like.

Different strokes for different folks

The thing that puts me off guild wars is everything is handed to you

There's no sense of achievement for me it would get boring fast

I don't see a bad gear progression as a fun addition to the game. It's more like "this awfulness is finally over". A "skill"-progression, like in League of Legends however, is very fun. "Yay, finally 1700 Elo!"

EDIT: But that's probably just a different taste.

Edited by Fyda

Like I said different strokes for different folks

No need to get butt hurt because I don't like the look or what I've heard and read about a game

I'm not butthurt, but the fact that you can't imagine anything better than gear and assuming it is just given to you means you are the kind of mindless drone developer houses that put out drivel year after year (like EA) absolutely love.

Keep fighting the good fight! They love you for it.

for once.. just once it would be awesome if people could see past the usual vertica numb-gear-grind-fest as a reward.

In it's essence pvp should be about fun-competative-gameplay that suits most people so most people would have a interest in it and join in on the experience. The best matches are the "even" matches where those small decision and encounters makes a difference- it does not matter if it is on my 10-49 chars or my fully itemized augumented WH main char, it is as boring to utterly destroy a recruit (or even that!) as it is to be on the other end of the destruction.

right now the pvp in SWTOR is all about grinding without any rewards except more stats..

- TSW, GW2, DCUO + FPS = the future as far as gameplay goes. Trimmed down abilities, more passives, more horizontal char builds.

Rambling here.. just that SWTOR has probably the most potential ever and it is so lacking..

my fix is the "one commendation to rule them all" - no matter, NO matter what you do you recieve commendations based on difficulty and time spent- that commendation can buy you whatever you want-

No the solution is to get rid of premades facing pugs. This should be for all games. If your gaming with 3 friends I can understand, but an outright face rolling premade is very disheartening for pugs. Obviously they shouldn't be facing anything other then another premade or just quit and pug it.

As for GW2, seen the PvP and its something I had hoped WoW would continue but obviously they didn't. SWOTR has a lot more potential then WoW and seems to be rolling out PvP content at a wonderful pace. I would love to see some types of matches like with GW2 system of buying turrets, using bombers and even massive AT's to break through then enemy base.

But at the moment the problem here is the lack of players and balancing on the servers that they seem to be fixing.

Don't forget that GW2 like DCUO is a completely different type of MMO to WoW and SWTOR. Very different mechanics making it a very different game type.

lets clear something up, right now. the VAST majority of premades in this game are marginally more skilled than a full team of PUGs. yet, the VAST majority of players whines about premades in the queues.

once you break apart all the anecdotal evidence and crying, you will find something quite astonishing:

BAD PLAYERS DONT LIKE PLAYING GOOD PLAYERS!

that is what the pug v premade issue boils down to. because ive seen plenty of god awful premades, and plenty of remarkable PUGs.

People who are tired of elves and orcs and swords and shields will be staying with SWTOR. Those people are already here because they are most likely tired of WoW and the dozens of other fantasy MMOs so it's a decent chance that the hit won't be too big.

I am a PvP player and I admire some of the gameplay elements of GW2 but the art style and setting turn me off hugely. I actually have a phobia of "cute" Asian-looking characters, so another reason is that the Asura race causes an averse physical reaction to me and I think it's quite likely that race will be very populated.

The gear gap in SWTOR is exaggerated hugely. Recruit gear is underpowered, yes, but you can get full Battlemaster within 2 or 3 days and be only 5% away in stats from a War Hero-geared player. My point is that gameplay mechanics alone aren't necessarily enough to bring everyone to another game. SWTOR has the potential to be great - a lot of people believe that pre-1.2 PvP was some of the best out there. With some tweaking, they could return to that state.

for once.. just once it would be awesome if people could see past the usual vertica numb-gear-grind-fest as a reward.

In it's essence pvp should be about fun-competative-gameplay that suits most people so most people would have a interest in it and join in on the experience. The best matches are the "even" matches where those small decision and encounters makes a difference- it does not matter if it is on my 10-49 chars or my fully itemized augumented WH main char, it is as boring to utterly destroy a recruit (or even that!) as it is to be on the other end of the destruction.

right now the pvp in SWTOR is all about grinding without any rewards except more stats..

- TSW, GW2, DCUO + FPS = the future as far as gameplay goes. Trimmed down abilities, more passives, more horizontal char builds.

Rambling here.. just that SWTOR has probably the most potential ever and it is so lacking..

my fix is the "one commendation to rule them all" - no matter, NO matter what you do you recieve commendations based on difficulty and time spent- that commendation can buy you whatever you want-

Tsw while a great pve game the pvp Completely blows stonehenge says it all

3 faction is broken in fusang

Dcuo was fun but it's pretty much p2w now

And as for fps I own and have played most from quake to sof2 bf series cs

None of them give me a urge to play every day

I am a PvP player and I admire some of the gameplay elements of GW2 but the art style and setting turn me off hugely. I actually have a phobia of "cute" Asian-looking characters, so another reason is that the Asura race causes an averse physical reaction to me and I think it's quite likely that race will be very populated.

1. GW2 isn't Tera and has no cute looking asian characters unless you specifically go out to make one yourself.

2. Rather than judging the Asura on their looks if you actually play one they are the funniest race in the game. In a sarcastic way not in a juvenile way.

3. Art Style. Opinions differ IMHO it is the best looking game I've seen and that single player or mmo.

Tsw while a great pve game the pvp Completely blows stonehenge says it all

3 faction is broken in fusang

Dcuo was fun but it's pretty much p2w now

And as for fps I own and have played most from quake to sof2 bf series cs

None of them give me a urge to play every day

You clearly dont want to see the point or I did not make myself clear enough- the idea is that you have to mesh those titles (and others) together, use them for inspiration.

I dont give a wampas a** about stonehenge in TSW, that DCUO is f2p (which BTW.. SWTOR will be in a few, you did not get the memo? :p) - the reason behind me typing down FPS is that the genre is expaning more and more towards mmorpgs- I'd love to see mmorpgs to the same, towards FPS.

Edited by eclipce

Not surprised... wasn't everyone saying the same thing about Diablo 3?

How many people are playing that right now? :rolleyes:

being genuine here...whats happened with d3? is it dead/dying? nearly all of my last guild left for d3, so i'm kinda hating it considering our progress was s**t hot >.>

pm me please though, saves going off topic :)

You clearly dont want to see the point or I did not make myself clear enough- the idea is that you have to mesh those titles (and others) together, use them for inspiration.

I dont give a wampas a** about stonehenge in TSW, that DCUO is f2p (which BTW.. SWTOR will be in a few, you did not get the memo? :p) - the reason behind me typing down FPS is that the genre is expaning more and more towards mmorpgs- I'd love to see mmorpgs to the same, towards FPS.

I see what you're saying Also I said p2w not f2p

being genuine here...whats happened with d3? is it dead/dying? nearly all of my last guild left for d3, so i'm kinda hating it considering our progress was s**t hot >.>

almost all my friends started to play D3, they had already left SWTOR- what's interesting is that just recently D3 went live with a patch making the grind easier to "haul" in the more casuals.

all who consider themselves the very best and harcore pvp'ers, go and play a sandbox game like mortal online, daggerfall? EvE and such.. gear up, die and lose everything :rak_03:

It's still going its like diablo 2 something you stick on you're work pc

For when you're really bored

I see what you're saying Also I said p2w not f2p

Alright my bad on that end, I've not touched DCUO since SWTOR launched so no clue if it is no p2w- tho that sounds intruiging actually, which means I can bring out my chars, gear them up and enjoy pvp-

Speaking of that, i'd play AoC in a heartbeat again if it was not for the very idea of re-subbing just to enter a numb-grind-fest once more.. just to reach a competative level.

Which brings up a new point.. how many are in my shoes thinking that about various games they have stopped playing, but the very thought of re-grinding is keeping them away from the game with all the cash, ready to spend on a sub or stuff.

Edited by eclipce

I don't care about the art -style- much: I hated most of Wow's models but stayed with that for many years. Heck I've been playing this for 7 mos and don't care at all for most of the costumes that Jedi are stuck with nor do I like the terrains/environment textures (prefer Wow's by a lot).

I will be playing GW2 on saturday but won't be unsubbing from this unless GW2 hits a home run. "No healers" and less CC sounds great but I could poke holes in their bg/wz and world pvp ideas. I'll see how it goes.

Which brings up a new point.. how many are in my shoes thinking that about various games they have stopped playing, but the very thought of re-grinding is keeping them away from the game with all the cash, ready to spend on a sub or stuff.

Sadly, most game companies forgot how to make games 'fun' somewhere along the way. Now they just want to make games a massive grind and charge a fee to play them. Thankfully a few (yay Nintendo/Relic/Runic?) are still around that remember that games are suppose to be 'fun' first and foremost.

Of course it will take some hit, who knows how much. I can tell you that from a pvp perspective GW2 has a lot more variety. Tournaments, structured pvp, WvWvW pvp with sieges. Not only that, but the customization of your character is far more than you can in this game imo. Yes the gear is normalized, but you instead customize the arrangement of gear. What runes, what weapons etc that you use determine what stats and abilities you have. What abilities you want is determined by what you want your role to be, or in a tournament, what your team role will be.

As far as pve goes, the worlds are very detailed, the animations are unique and varied. Both games have stories, and while SWTOR's story is more in depth, GW2 stories actually change the game for you. TBH, I am just bored to tears with SWTOR right now, especially for pvp. Been playing the same damn WZ's forever and after you have hit 50 its diminishing returns on the alt scenario. One nice thing about GW2 is you can completely change your playstyle just by changing gear and abilities.

The pre-made pug thing has never worked in any game. What happens on my server in pug land is I que up for a pug, the second we match against a premade and start getting our arse kicked (as we should, they are organized) our team starts imploding. "you guys are noobs!" all that junk, people camping nodes for defender medals etc. It makes for a lousy gaming experience. I don't know what they can do about it, but it has to be addressed.

Also, for some of us, the deciding factor is the world/realm pvp option in GW2, its just better than anything we have or have seen from SWTOR.

Speaking from experience: GW2 is going to crush the last bit of life out of swtor. The game is amazing, just make a female char and you will omg *** out.

Or, if they can't figure out the whole dodge thing, will end up getting stomped by the Shaman in the caves and dying a ton :p

I can safely say that it is the best pvp game I've played since DAOC

Man I miss DAoC sooo much, them dudes really nailed pvp(I know some of mythics folk are here). Offensive chains, defensive chains, positional attacks. Positions to be held, relics to be defended and taken, and a website(the herald!) to track the best of the best and who owned what positions and what not, amazing.

I was praying to >insert deity here< that Ilum was going to be a Star Wars take on the "frontiers" man dear alive is that bitter taste is ever so potent still :(