SWTOR, CPU or GPU?

Ushuma-Orbi

Hi all!

I'm thinking in buy a new rig, but first I need some advice, hope you can help me.

I read in a lot of forums most of the MMO's are GPU based instead of CPU, in this case, is the SWTOR engine a GPU based or a CPU?

I want to buy 2 HD 7870 and use it in CF, do you think is a good idea? Becasue I really want to play the game at max settings.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind Regards.

I currently run on an i5-2500 3,3 GHz Quad Core, 8 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 260.

Upgraded from Core 2 Duo 3,0 GHz, 6 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 260.

I upgraded while playing Rift Online because my CPU (Core 2 Duo) was running at 98%+ and lagging.

With the new CPU SWTOR use 20% of the CPU and 1,5 GB RAM (Rift Online used a similar amount).

I play with maximum graphics in all games. In SWTOR I only lag on planets such as Tython and Dromund Kaas because of the massive amounts of environmental shadows there, since shadows on maximum settings seem to have an antialiasing effect on the entire environment (Don't need antialising on when you have shadows set to max). But that is the GPU lagging, not the CPU. I manage, though, it's not that bad. If it were any worse I would simply turn shadows down from maximum to minimum.

Use http://www.videocardbenchmark.net to find e.g. my graphic card, your current graphic card, and compare them to the cards that are being sold today.

Edited by Nilatis

This game is CPU dependant. But you need both a powerfull CPU and GPU if you want run it maxed. But don't expect it run smootly all the time.

If you are going to buy that CF just for this game forget it. It doesn't support CF/SLI. And it won't use 100% the main card. In fleet with 240 people the game barely uses 33% of my GPU: ATI HD 6850.

Edited by Diktat

This game is CPU dependant. But you need both a powerfull CPU and GPU if you want run it maxed. But don't expect it run smootly all the time.

If you are going to buy that CF just for this game forget it. It doesn't support CF/SLI. And it won't use 100% the main card. In fleet with 240 people the game barely uses 33% of my GPU: ATI HD 6850.

That totally depends on your motherboard and bios your running, 90% of the time its not games or programs that cant run sli/crossfire correctly, most of the time its the boards not being able to utilies them right, anything thats republic of gamers crossfire line or 990fx or as good as will utiliies sli perfectly especially within 3d, if you run a monitor and cards plus board that is specifically setup for sli the computer will over ride the game and run 50/50 split top and bottom or alternate left and right specifically using 1 card for each action and utilising cache from both cards for there own actions.

and this is one of the things that really narks me, people spend an absolute fortune on gpus, cpus cooling etc but just go meh that will do when it comes to motherboards and ask most people when was the last time they updated there bios they go huh you can update that.............

Edited by Shingara

That totally depends on your motherboard and bios your running, 90% of the time its not games or programs that cant run sli/crossfire correctly, most of the time its the boards not being able to utilies them right, anything thats republic of gamers crossfire line or 990fx or as good as will utiliies sli perfectly especially within 3d, if you run a monitor and cards plus board that is specifically setup for sli the computer will over ride the game and run 50/50 split top and bottom or alternate left and right specifically using 1 card for each action and utilising cache from both cards for there own actions.

The only benefit a CF could have is the ammount of GDDR, other than that will be a complete waste of money. As I said this game is incapable of use more than 50% of my GPU, best case, and as I said is not a top end one. The game has got hard coded bottlenecks that makes the engine undersuse the hardware. Is not a question of motherboards, bioses, and/or drivers. The problem is the engine itself.

The only benefit a CF could have is the ammount of GDDR, other than that will be a complete waste of money. As I said this game is incapable of use more than 50% of my GPU, best case, and as I said is not a top end one. The game has got hard coded bottlenecks that makes the engine undersuse the hardware. Is not a question of motherboards, bioses, and/or drivers. The problem is the engine itself.

so why is it then if thats the case that my gpus both run equaly and max spike at 70% each cos really the game doesnt push this, in 3d and yes this game does run in 3d if you have a monitor that does it then it pushes my gpus to about 80-88% load. Do i have a mystery machine no, i have a fatal1ty 990fx and im betting thats the main difference between mine and your machine.

The bottlenecks arnt hardcoded into the game, there hardcoded into your board and hardware. And anything prior to the 990fx series are all terrible sli and crossfires, its only in the 990fx + stuff they actually sorted it out.

And if your running a single card then its more likly its your cpu bottlenecking your gpu or even running a 2.0 card in a plain x16 slot, vicious circle it is, get the best and dont skimp on anything.

Edited by Shingara

I find 2 things help with this game, a GOOD graphics card and a SSD. on a i7 2600k @ 5Ghz it never goes above 25% cpu load and it really doesn't use much memory [out of 16 gigs it tends to use less then 500 megs] On the video side on a hd 6990 is rarely goes above 25% load on either core and rarely drops below the 100/110FPS max I get @ 1920x1200 resolution with everything in game maxed and me over-riding 4x FSAA and everything else maxed In my CCC

The biggest thing I notices is moving it from my old raid0 platters to my raid0 SSD. Load times are almost instant and I times between cuts and whatnot are very very low.

A good CPU with lots of threads are always good in windows vista/7/8, lots of memory is good in everything :) But all in all I get the biggest bang for my buck out of my SSDs. Sucks too when I bought mine they were ever 300 each [3 120 gig] and now they are about 100 each cry.

I currently run on an i5-2500 3,3 GHz Quad Core, 8 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 260.

Upgraded from Core 2 Duo 3,0 GHz, 6 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 260.

I upgraded while playing Rift Online because my CPU (Core 2 Duo) was running at 98%+ and lagging.

With the new CPU SWTOR use 20% of the CPU and 1,5 GB RAM (Rift Online used a similar amount).

I play with maximum graphics in all games. In SWTOR I only lag on planets such as Tython and Dromund Kaas because of the massive amounts of environmental shadows there, since shadows on maximum settings seem to have an antialiasing effect on the entire environment (Don't need antialising on when you have shadows set to max). But that is the GPU lagging, not the CPU. I manage, though, it's not that bad. If it were any worse I would simply turn shadows down from maximum to minimum.

Use http://www.videocardbenchmark.net to find e.g. my graphic card, your current graphic card, and compare them to the cards that are being sold today.

I did exactly the same (coming from core2duo to core i5 2500k) only I use 16 gb of ram because its so cheap atm.

well I can say upgrading the cpu made the stuttering a lot faster. game runs smooth and will get my gtx 660 by the end of the week. I am curious on how swtor will perform then.

so why is it then if thats the case that my gpus both run equaly and max spike at 70% each cos really the game doesnt push this, in 3d and yes this game does run in 3d if you have a monitor that does it then it pushes my gpus to about 80-88% load. Do i have a mystery machine no, i have a fatal1ty 990fx and im betting thats the main difference between mine and your machine.

The bottlenecks arnt hardcoded into the game, there hardcoded into your board and hardware. And anything prior to the 990fx series are all terrible sli and crossfires, its only in the 990fx + stuff they actually sorted it out.

And if your running a single card then its more likly its your cpu bottlenecking your gpu or even running a 2.0 card in a plain x16 slot, vicious circle it is, get the best and dont skimp on anything.

My CPU, an AMD X4 925 @2.8GHz, is not bottlenecking my GPU. The game uses only 2 cores and it never pushes them above 70% while my GPU is clearly underused. As I said in a full instance at fleet it never goes up beyond 33-34% usage. An yes, I overclocked the CPU to check if for any reason even at 70% usage it was bottlenecking my GPU and no change, the GPU didn't went up that 33-34% usage.

SWTOR is the only game I experience this strange behaviour. I play other MMOs (I won't mention titles to not start a flame) and cores are always above 70% and GPU 80-90% usage.

And yes I've got my MB updated.

The only difference between those other MMOs and SWTOR is the engine.

My CPU, an AMD X4 925 @2.8GHz, is not bottlenecking my GPU. The game uses only 2 cores and it never pushes them above 70% while my GPU is clearly underused. As I said in a full instance at fleet it never goes up beyond 33-34% usage. An yes, I overclocked the CPU to check if for any reason even at 70% usage it was bottlenecking my GPU and no change, the GPU didn't went up that 33-34% usage.

SWTOR is the only game I experience this strange behaviour. I play other MMOs (I won't mention titles to not start a flame) and cores are always above 70% and GPU 80-90% usage.

And yes I've got my MB updated.

The only difference between those other MMOs and SWTOR is the engine.

Sorry but if your pc is doing that then its your pc not the game, my game running in 3d via the monitor http://imageshack.us/f/442/screenshot1ju.jpg/

Sorry but if your pc is doing that then its your pc not the game, my game running in 3d via the monitor http://imageshack.us/f/442/screenshot1ju.jpg/

There are some werid thing with SWTOR performance-wise. For example I had it running pretty well on a PC that was technically below minimum specs, but then on a PC that was much higher spec it was actually running worse all things being equal.

Which still leads me to believe the best performance boost you can do for SWTOR, especially on a medium to lower spec machine is run it on WinXP.

There are some werid thing with SWTOR performance-wise. For example I had it running pretty well on a PC that was technically below minimum specs, but then on a PC that was much higher spec it was actually running worse all things being equal.

Which still leads me to believe the best performance boost you can do for SWTOR, especially on a medium to lower spec machine is run it on WinXP.

Yeah..there have been too many posts from players with high machines having issues to dismiss them as not being true. I tried TOR out during the beta on my old P4, with 4 gb ram in Win XP and it ran like crap with all the settings down lowest I could set them. Then I upgraded to a new computer with a I7 2600, 10 GB ram and a Radeon 6850 and never had any issues running the game on max settings. Then again..there have been players with a higher machine than mine who had issues....go figure. :p

Thanks in advance for your answers. Well I'm thinking in upgrade my PC with 2 HD 7870 and this motherboard and CPU:

Crosshair Formula V and a AMD FX-8150 or

Rampage Formula IV and Intel I7 2600k

This because in a big PvP battle in Voss my FPS drop down to 5-8, and to be honest looks like a photoshop, so I really hope with this improvement I can have a better game experience. Thanks a lot!

Kind Regards!

Hi all!

I'm thinking in buy a new rig, but first I need some advice, hope you can help me.

I read in a lot of forums most of the MMO's are GPU based instead of CPU, in this case, is the SWTOR engine a GPU based or a CPU?

I want to buy 2 HD 7870 and use it in CF, do you think is a good idea? Becasue I really want to play the game at max settings.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind Regards.

Well considering Jeff Hickman is in charge and he came from Warhammer.... I'd say a console.