They are already discussing milking the subscribers

Soluss

Going to bump this up since it is now known that subscribers will have to purchase the new Cathar race from the cash shop. Further proof that EA is milking the subscribers for everything they can. It will only get worse and worse. EA will push the envelope on what they charge extra for.

My prediction is that starting next year, almost everything new will be in the cash shop. They will throw subscribers a bone here and there to look good. At some point they will try to put something substantial on the cash shop, like an operation or a small daily area and call it a mini expansion. The milking will continue as long as the cash shop purchases outwiegh what they make in subscriptions.

Edited by Soluss

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to bump this up since it is now known that subscribers will have to purchase the new Cathar race from the cash shop. Further proof that EA is milking the subscribers for everything they can. It will only get worse and worse. EA will push the envelope on what they charge extra for.

My prediction is that starting next year, almost everything new will be in the cash shop. They will throw subscribers a bone here and there to look good. At some point they will try to put something substantial on the cash shop, like an operation or a small daily area and call it a mini expansion. The milking will continue as long as the cash shop purchases outwiegh what they make in subscriptions.

I have to agree with this prediction. EAware themselves have reffered to EVERYTHING in the cash shop being content in interviews. Even pieces of gear. They do not use the term content in the same way we the players have historically viewed content. Once again EAware doesn't understand the "language" of their customers. :cool:

:rolleyes:

Since they give you milk (coins) each month as part of your subscription, I fail to see your point. They give you some milk, you give some of it back every now and then.

If subscribers did not receive coins each month as part of the subscription.... I would agree with you. However that is not the case... so you are wrong here.

Seriously..... this is becoming just silly now IMO.

Edited by Andryah

Since they give you milk (coins) each month as part of your subscription, I fail to see your point. They give you some milk, you give some of it back every now and then.

Lets see how silly it is when you are paying extra for warzone additions and operation additions. This game isnt getting anymore free updates... when you compare to other MMOs, the cost of a subscription, in ToR, gives a much less return as other MMOs do.

Pretty soon, Andryah, you will be defending this game to yourself. There is only so much that people will put up with. If I can buy a car at the northtown chevy dealer for 20 grand fully loaded, why would i go to the southtown chevy dealer and pay 30 grand for the same car, with less options, just because it has a different color and they give me a "free" oil change once a year.

Edited by Soluss

If subscribers did not receive coins each month as part of the subscription.... I would agree with you. However that is not the case... so you are wrong here.

I agree just because they want to charge for races doesn't make it wrong, as you don't need to be any specific race for a certain class, so its nothing more than cosmetic look, i don't class that as content.

I don't care if they charge for races but actual content i would not pay for. Although tbh i don't see the point in making to many areas for the level 50 characters as most of the level 50's are interested in new gear and unless they add something that drops better stuff than ops who is going to go there.

If they are making content for the level 50 crowd then they should really stick to ops imo.

The section x place for example as far as i know there is no real reason to go there unless you like doing daily's which i don't, i only do the daily on the black hole place once a week for the weekly comms, so this is one area i will not even bother going to again, plus its a pain to navigate as well mobs seem tougher than other areas and with no reason to keep me there will never go back.

Lets see how silly it is when you are paying extra for warzone additions and operation additions. This game isnt getting anymore free updates... r.

Who says its not getting any more updates that's just stupid, if people are subscribing they will have to do updates or they will lose all subscribers which is a bad move as they can put subscriber numbers on paper to show they have guaranteed income from them to the share holders rather than just a guesstimate of how many coins will be bought.

Edited by XmaceukX

... to charge for races doesn't make it wrong, as you don't need to be any specific race for a certain class, so its nothing more than cosmetic look, i don't class that as content.

It doesn't matter what YOU think content is. EAware considers EVERYTHING content and has stated so. To EAware:

• Races are content
  • Classes are content
  • Gear is content
  • Ops, WZs, FPs are content
  • etc.

All of which they are indicating that they will introduce from the CC Store. :cool:

Who says its not getting any more updates that's just stupid, if people are subscribing they will have to do updates or they will lose all subscribers which is a bad move as they can put subscriber numbers on paper to show they have guaranteed income from them to the share holders rather than just a guesstimate of how many coins will be bought.

Who says the game is losing subscribers, thats ridiculous.

Who says the game is going F2P, thats ridiculous.

Who says they are going to charge for Makeb, thats ridiculous.

I said, thats who. EA will suck people for everything they think they can get away with. They will start small, like with this cathar race and see how people react. Then it will become more and more and more, until they feel they have pushed as far as they can. Thats what EA does. You will get a bone here and there, but I guarentee you, by next year 98% of the content will be cash shop.

Why do you think those 2 doctors, whose entire life was Bioware, up and left? Yeah, they wanted to retire. They were bored of making games. No, they wanted to get away from EA ruining their good name.

Who says the game is losing subscribers, thats ridiculous.

Who says the game is going F2P, thats ridiculous.

Who says they are going to charge for Makeb, thats ridiculous.

I said, thats who. EA will suck people for everything they think they can get away with. They will start small, like with this cathar race and see how people react. Then it will become more and more and more, until they feel they have pushed as far as they can. Thats what EA does. You will get a bone here and there, but I guarentee you, by next year 98% of the content will be cash shop.

Why do you think those 2 doctors, whose entire life was Bioware, up and left? Yeah, they wanted to retire. They were bored of making games. No, they wanted to get away from EA ruining their good name.

Cathar specifically, how are they sucking anyone dry? Subscribers are free to unlock Cathar using their fee cartel coin award if they want to? Without spending any real world money...

Driz

Cathar specifically, how are they sucking anyone dry? Subscribers are free to unlock Cathar using their fee cartel coin award if they want to? Without spending any real world money...

Driz

As I said, this is a small step into larger territory. Its only a matter of time. You will see.

Driz

The fact that subscribers should HAVE to to use a real world currency to purchase anything extra is in itself exploitive. I pay a sub, I should access to all the stuff that sub money was used to create.

They are slowly altering the deal, don't know how you can't see it lol. First it was "subs will get EVERYTHING at no additional cost..."

Then it was "we're really not sure what if anything subs will have to pay for..."

Now there are a whole host of things you HAVE to use real world currency to purchase, and the fact they give you a monthly stipend of enough to purchase HALF of ONE is not a good argument, in fact it shows them as being EVEN MORE EXPLOITIVE AS IF THEY"D GIVEN NONE, because by giving you half you need to buy a piece of armor they are encouraging you to buy 600 more to buy the other half.

i would hope its more then just a new rock and 5 lvls if they going to charge for it but look at DCUO if u pay 2 play u get them free if i remember right been a long time that i have been on that game lol so we can have hope it is going to be here :p

I have my reasons why I haven't posted anything more happy like rainbows and Candy Land-esque. I do define myself as a SWTOR Analyst and I"m a hater and lover (whether you believe it or not) of SWTOR. Hater for reasons in my "development timeline" thread and lover for personal preferences.

By the way, thanks for following my posts! :D

I think most of us don't follow your post anymore since you just complain. When I see your Avatar I know it is just another complaint in a long line of complaints. I only noticed this one because I was following the other guy.

Lets see how silly it is when you are paying extra for warzone additions and operation additions. This game isnt getting anymore free updates... when you compare to other MMOs, the cost of a subscription, in ToR, gives a much less return as other MMOs do.

Pretty soon, Andryah, you will be defending this game to yourself. There is only so much that people will put up with. If I can buy a car at the northtown chevy dealer for 20 grand fully loaded, why would i go to the southtown chevy dealer and pay 30 grand for the same car, with less options, just because it has a different color and they give me a "free" oil change once a year.

I highly doubt they will charge subs for basic updates to WZs and ops. As evil as the suits may be, even they know not to charge their base subscribers for basic content updates. If they do, I won't come to the forums and whine like some people, ill just drop my sub and walk away.

Edited by Arkerus

It has to be one huge planet to let you go from 50 to 55 don't you think?

Not really. For instance it is possible to hit tatooine at lvl 25 and leave at level 30 and then hit alderaan at lvl 30 and leave at level 34. Heck I hit Voss at level 45 and left at 50. Makeb is really not going to be much larger than any of the other planets if it's only 5 levels (even scaling for increased exp in the level 50-55 range). :cool:

Well I guess it depends. If it costs cartel coins I have little problem since subs get CCs every month. But I wouldn't want to buy a box that only has one planet. Either way if it's not a given for subs and only one planet it would have be be a great long planet with an awesome story (and with class stories of course). SO yeah I guess depending on what they do it could either be ok or outright awesome. Even if we do pay CCs subs will still have it pretty good and could probably get the content without paying beyond the sub.

I know the fans will come in and say... well its an expansion, of course we should pay extra for it. Sorry but 1 planet and a 5 level increase is not an expansion. Its a way to justify milking more money. This is the type of content that we should have gotten all along.

Check WoW, 1 zone 5 lvls and a new race = xpack.... So if we get 1 planet, 5 lvls and a new race then it is an xpack if that is what they want to call it. SWG did the same thing with its last xpack before it crashed and burned. 1 planet 5 lvls and no new races in that one but people still paid for it. I don't care if they charge me or not. I will still play the game and pay for the xpack if i need to..

Check WoW, 1 zone 5 lvls and a new race = xpack.... So if we get 1 planet, 5 lvls and a new race then it is an xpack if that is what they want to call it. SWG did the same thing with its last xpack before it crashed and burned. 1 planet 5 lvls and no new races in that one but people still paid for it. I don't care if they charge me or not. I will still play the game and pay for the xpack if i need to..

Might want to check what else came with WoW expansions and Rifts expansion and EQ2s expansions etc... It was far more then 1 zone, a race and 5 levels.

I know the fans will come in and say... well its an expansion, of course we should pay extra for it. Sorry but 1 planet and a 5 level increase is not an expansion. Its a way to justify milking more money. This is the type of content that we should have gotten all along.

Tell that to any other mmo that has ever done so. If it is done properly there could be a lot of content come from one planet. Not to mention any other add ins that come with it. So I have to say yes one planet and 5 levels can definitely be an expansion. Just because they are adding one planet doesn't mean they can't change how they show them off. A new war zone, a few new flash points. It could work so before you flip out let's see what they offer first.

Edited by Scovina

Might want to check what else came with WoW expansions and Rifts expansion and EQ2s expansions etc... It was far more then 1 zone, a race and 5 levels.

^

The Burning Crusade:

- Level cap raised 10 levels (60 -> 70).

- New quest area (Outland).

- New raids (plural, there were 5 new raids in the launch of BC.)

- Multiple new Heroic dungeons.

- A new Battleground (Eye of the Storm).

- A new Arena system.

- Open world PvP objectives.

- 2 new races (which, let's face it, is harder than BioWare implementing new races, since these races have entire storylines built around their respective peoples. In ToR, it's as easy as a facial reskin.)

Wrath of the Lich King:

- Level cap raised by 10 (70 -> 80).

- New quest area (Northrend).

- 3 New PvE raids.

- 1 new PvP raid.

- New "Hero" Class (Death Knight).

- A new Battleground (Strand of the Ancients).

Cataclysm:

- Level cap raised by 5 levels.

- New high level zones.

- Environmental redesign of existing zones, complete with "thousands'" (claims Blizzard, I've never counted :cool:) of new PvE and PvP quests for those zones.

- New open-world PvP questing area.

- 2 new PvP Battlegrounds.

- A new PvP instanced dungeon.

- 4 new raids.

- 2 new races.

- New talents and spells for existing classes.

Mists of Pandaria:

- Level cap raised by 5 levels.

- New continent, as well as new leveling areas throughout the world.

- 3 new raids.

- A new class.

- A new race.

- Complete overhaul of talent system.

- Pet battles.

So... let's recap, shall we? Each and every expansion featured a level cap increase, new quest content, multiple new raids, new PvP content (except Mists, apparently), plus a smattering of additional goodies. And let's not forget, they were releasing content in between these major expansions as well; content which was free of additional charge to subscribers.

-Macheath.

Just one planet and a five level increase? They better not charge subscribers for it. I'll cancel my subscription over something like that.

Now, if they decide to expand the Galaxy to 10 planets and increase the level cap to 60, I'd pay $39.99 for that type of an expansion. Not one planet though, they can slob the knob if they expect me to pay extra for an update.

I was going to reason it depends how many hours it lasts you but no. There is no point paying a sub if we are paying for zones as well. If we are paying for zones as well we might as well go f2p with a cash shop.

Pricing in that case needs to be on average play time, say a couple of characters, and stick with it as a rule, whatever that average pricing is.

The fact that subscribers should HAVE to to use a real world currency to purchase anything extra is in itself exploitive. I pay a sub, I should access to all the stuff that sub money was used to create.

That is what your cartel coin allowance for your monthly sub is for. SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPEND REAL WORLD CURRENCY!!!!!

Yeesh.