BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk has resigned

Hunny_Bun

In this case, that's a good thing. Perhaps the folks left behind can patch the holes enough to salvage this ship...or at least float it along long enough for another to come along.

Uh, unless the F2P is a roaring success to make up for the disappointing results there will be no patching the holes of this ship. No new content for a while, and the content coming out a pet, and space missions? (Which very few play, btw). Very few fixes to the game, bugs still in from launch. Right now the devs are working on crap to put in the item shop. Content? Don't make me laugh. It's a real shame, because I like the storylines and Warzones and knowing that they will never be PROPERLY expanded on makes me sad. It also gives this game a limited life, because I doubt that F2P will generate enough cash for more cutscenes/and voice talent. It will generate tons of cash for more item shop things and grindier gameplay. Stick a fork in it, this game is done, and all these media announcements just show it.

Whoever's fault it is, Bioware or EA or even Lucasarts, I don't know but honestly, with the constant blunders made by the team since launch and releasing too early, they did deserve to fail.

I hate to say it, because I am a subscriber, not a hater (who drops money on a box and pays for a sub only to be called a hater? that makes no sense.) This whole thing makes me sad.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't doubt that, but if the game was doing well, I don't think he'd be leaving to spend time with his family. It's possible he wasn't fired, per se, but someone had to be held accountable for the underwhelming performance. And that's usually someone at the top.

Everry MMO I know the person in charge always leaves shortly after the game launches to work on other projects.... I'm surprised he stay as long as he did... Although I do think he thought SWTOR was going to be a bigger hit then it turned out to be and is probably one of the reasons he's moving back to Edmond..

Either way the title of this thread is misleading... it's implying that he left Bioware/EA all together which is not the case according to the article, at least not yet anyways...

Maybe so but youd have to think if anyone can do it it would be someone with his experience and previous successes under his belt. Also buying majority stock on a successful company is a pretty big investment, even for EA. I doubt EA or any other big company would do that before a new company proves its profitable. Even then there is just as much a chance that some company other than EA will do it. Either way its better than being stuck with them now.

Except that the video game industry is in a huge decline. I don't think investors are going to be willing to sink their money in it.

Protip: this is common with every company everywhere, not EA specifically, and not gaming companies specificially. Smaller companies sell out to larger companies all the time. The founders and principals of the company reap the harvest of their hard work. Some stay on with the company that aquired them, but most actually only stay through a product transition period and then depart. IT IS VERY COMMON.

Nothing to see here, no matter how much you try to conflate it.

Besides, he did not leave.... he just stepped down from the Austin GM role, as he previously announced he would do.

It is common but it still doesn't make it a good thing. Corporate greed is why we're in the biggest recession (or a depression depending how you look at it) in the first place.

The title of your thread is entirely misleading. He did not quit the company he simply resigned his position at Bioware Austin which is not an uncommon practice in his business. Most of everything else is rampant speculation do to an article a German website wrote. Even if all this is true it still does not mean the world is coming to an end; the fact EA is letting this game go F2P shows they are handling the situation better than they did with War.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/10/rumor-greg-zeschuk-leaving-bioware/

I was waiting for some common sense to enter this thread.

Amazing how the people on this board can take something and twist it to an unrecognizable pile of desh. They have the game dead and buried LOL. If I were not playing the game every day, having fun doing so, I might actually fall for some of it. This board never ceases to amaze.

It's always a sad moment for any company when a founding member chooses to depart, and that's just what it seemed like when it was announced that Greg Zeschuk was leaving BioWare.

Except for the fact that he wasn't. He was just changing jobs in the company.

Until recently Zeschuk was in charge of Star Wars: The Old Republic. But according to him that was always a temporary role.

LOL, I love it.

This game should be buy 2 play like Guild Wars making it free 2 play sounds good but we all know free 2 play doesn't really mean that tho, look at Star Trek Online I played the hole story mode of that MMO and when i got done with it I didn't wanted to stand in that MMO just to buy a star ship with real money. yea they had Borg special forces Warzones in that game but that didn't make me stay in the game Bioware/EA is going in the wrong direction with SWTOR.

if Greg Zeschuk a Co-founder of Bioware resigned blame it on EA.

Edited by Master_Dark

Guess he will be regretting that tattoo. :eek:

My guess is he will be regretting selling out to EA. Or maybe not maybe they only sold out because after 5 years they releasised they had made the game they wanted to play for 3 months not an MMO that people would want to play for 10 years. and sold out to avoid the huge loss the game would make? Perosnally I alwas think the point I releaased they had made a huge mistake was when they said people could not play aliens because they could not work out how aliens thought and that we should all play a human hero who is out to save the galaxy. In an MMO e want to play our own hero not someone elses !!!!!

Yeah, this article says that he planned to resign all along to be with his family, who never even left England it sounds like, and that he selected his own replacement. It is disconcerting to me as a fan of Bioware and SWTOR, but I can't say this wouldn't have happened even if the game had been phenomenally successful.

Yet another example of the sad state of journalism in the world. People are too focused on getting the story first, rather than getting it right. A real professional news organization will strive for both. Online sites should, too.

It is common but it still doesn't make it a good thing. Corporate greed is why we're in the biggest recession (or a depression depending how you look at it) in the first place.

It's not the only reason. Not by a long shot. But, this is not the place for that kind of political discussion.

Edited by JacenHallis

I was waiting for some common sense to enter this thread.

Amazing how the people on this board can take something and twist it to an unrecognizable pile of desh. They have the game dead and buried LOL. If I were not playing the game every day, having fun doing so, I might actually fall for some of it. This board never ceases to amaze.

So to go on vacation now you need to quit your job? The game isnt dead and buried but its on life support. If this f2p thing doesnt work out they possibly will pull the plug on the IP and wait for the next person to try and make a star wars based MMO. The game has been mismanaged from the start I dont think anyone can argue this. EA stepped in and suggested he resign. Probably cannot be fired due to contract stipulations but he is out as manager.

While I am sure (and I said this earlier you ignored most of the thread) he planned on handing over management at some point I am sure it wasnt less than a yr after launch. Noone has to quit their job to visit their family or go on vacation. Doesnt take a genius to figure this stuff out.

Well, Bioware Austin has little to do with Bioware Edmonton. Austin does not house the "real" Bioware people, but consists of leftovers from EA Mythic. The only real Bioware guy was Greg Zeschuk, the Bioware co-founder - who now seems to have thrown the towel and is probably returning to Edmonton.

I think it's obvious that he no longer wants to have anything to do with this mess.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-10-bioware-co-founder-greg-zeschuk-quits-old-republic-dev-bioware-austin-report

I wonder if he has already made an appointment at a laser clinic to have his Swtor tattoo removed. Lightsaber treatment incoming....

So to go on vacation now you need to quit your job?

Correlation does not imply causation. He left his position at Bioware Austin to go back to Canada and work on other projects. He's also taking some time off before going back to work.

He did not resign so he could take a vacation. He resigned and is taking a vacation. The events are no more connected than the fact that they are happening at the same time.

also makes me sad. I think he also poured a lot into swtor (launch beard and tattoo say hello) and now this. I think he still rocks and that's why maybe its a good decision for him personally. Maybe he also regrets selling out his company to ea. he would have made less money personally but he must have been well over the point of never having to work again, so he actually gained nothing but lost BioWare, as did we (the fans).

So now they put the ex MLG CEO in his place.... not even a BioWare guy.....

Bioware used to be a private company - they put themselves in a position to be bought by EA and lose control of their destiny when they allowed investors to give them cash. If Greg ends up leaving EA completely after his time off, and he's still got a passion for making games, I hope he starts up a new studio and learns from his mistakes. Hopefully Ray joins him. I would certainly be looking forward to whatever they've got planned even if I have to wait 2 to 3 years.

I don't get this, ideas like these..... these two guys sold out: period. They saw the $$ and here we are......

I wouldn't touch anything they do with a 10 foot pole ......

Correlation does not imply causation. He left his position at Bioware Austin to go back to Canada and work on other projects. He's also taking some time off before going back to work.

He did not resign so he could take a vacation. He resigned and is taking a vacation. The events are no more connected than the fact that they are happening at the same time.

I disagree. I say he left because he was forced out as manager of the studio. Guess we have to just agree we dont agree on it.

Hmm this sound familiar... Oh right the samething happened in Warhammer when EA made Mark Jacobs resign. Hmm now that I think about it SWTOR is trending down the same path as Warhammer. Which means that SWTOR probably won't get many patch updates, because WAR is pretty ran by a skeleton crew. But hey it's been 5 months since we've had any real content right?

Stuff like this makes me wish the video game industry would crash so the reset button can be pressed and start over again, with hopefully some new and interesting titles and innovation. But doubt that will happen due to the way that business leaders or investors don't really care about production quality as much as they care about their wealth increasing from stock value.

Wonderfully impressive how EA can not only take Mythic (gogo DaoC) with a Warhammer IP (massive worldwide) but now Bioware (who everyone knows made fantastic RPG's) with a Star Wars IP and manage to completely screw them both sideways... well done.

Considering his family stayed in Edmond and he's been in the Auston the last several years making SWTOR, I can see why he would want to go back to Bioware Edmond....

Is he actually leaving Bioware/EA? According to the article NO..... Is there a possibility he might leave Bioware/EA? Sure anything is possible...

Edmonton! It's Edmonton! Not Ednomd! It's the capital city of Alberta and the home of BioWare, where they started.

Edmonton!

huge decline for the industry could be good. It crashed in 81 and it was saved by Nintendo in 84. It may be time for something new to rise from the ashes. Unfortunately we all know it will limp along on life support forever and just get worse and worse because there are always enough people to buy games nowadays to keep it going. Run on sentence notwithstanding, economics are very different from the early 80s the last time it happened. The garbage being produced all over the place gets backing because some fanboys/gullible dupe will believe the hype and give in to the hysteria and pay. Remember "ET: The Extraterestrial" the video game? I do, I played it, I'm old. The industry seems to be going down that path again, just in a new way. The only way to make it stop is to stop buying. Period. Dont but any new games and make the stores stop carrying them. Then when it all goes to heck-in-a-handbasket, someone with a revolutionary new idea comes along and saves it by making everyone else do it their way.

Maybe Dr. Z will be that guy, if he is leaving BioWare. We shal see.