New Idea: Story Replay!

Neverfar

Since a fair number of us came here for the story, for the continuation of what we got in Knights of the Old Republic and the like, and since a good number of us share a liking of the class story missions and find repeating the planet mission arcs to be a fair bit redundant, I thought of something Bioware could do, probably coded on the cheap, that would go a long way to making this story-heavy game a bit more enjoyable.

What if we could replay the story missions? Either approach would work: a repeat of the cinematics, or my preference, actually replaying the story, potentially from start to finish, mission by mission with your favorite modded outfit, and all the powers and abilities you unlocked along the way.

There were many times when running Fraps and recording a favorite moment that I wished I had a second chance to capture stuff I went over before, or wish I could do again now that I had a fully realized outfit for my character to play his part and look good doing it. This would allow people to replay and enjoy the best parts of their characters and even offer a little additional replay value on the side.

Very importantly, this might not take much coding at all: there are plenty of repeatable missions, and all they'd have to do is "break the chain" and let us revisit some of the favorite parts of our characters and their past.

Anyone else like the idea? :)

Hell I'd love this too. I've been recording the stories with Fraps as well, but some of them I've already completed by the time I had the idea. If I could repeat them I could finish the recordings but now with outfits that are complete, so I don't have them change from scene to scene, and can make it all look good or know the choices I'd like to make in the dialogue to make the scene look good.

For others it's an opportunity to see alternate choices in the quest lines or revisit favorite mometns without having to start a new character. Now I know OP said this could be an easy coding thing, but It may be harder than you think. Some of our choices did have reprocussions or dialogue that changed far ahead.

There's another option, possibly. That being a cinematic option. We may not have our dialogue wheel or whatnot, but we would have the choices we made already, and we still get to watch what we did before. Now I don't know if the game records every dialogue choice for our main story but if it has this could be a simpler coding option, maybe.

Either way it's a challenge for coders to be sure but as a player I'd find it very worthwhile. It'd keep me playing, keep me subscribed, and having fun.

• 2 months later...

Adding to the thread. This would be great. I've been recording them on FRAPS as well, and I'd like to be able to go back and get the ones I missed.

Some of these stories are awesome, and I'd like to sit down and just watch them all in a row.

I would like to see this too, but at the same time I see why it could be so difficult for BW to implement (for example, if they make your whole story scale to 50, then how do they treat non instanced fights? What about using companions you shouldnt have earned in the story yet? Particularly Jaesa for Warriors - who has 2 different personalities)

As an alternative, I would like to see a legacy perk that lets you level much faster if you're playing the same class for a second time. So, if you have a Warrior at 50 and then decide to create another one, he/she would level so quickly that you only have to do story quests.

This would allow you to replay your story and still have everything make sense. Not only can you go back and make different dialog choices, but you can also replay as a different gender, species, and AC.

Edited by Tommot

Bumpin' this one.

Being able to replay the story at 50, as a kind of New Game+ experience with level-adjusted opposition and maybe, maybe, level-adjusted quest rewards to suit, would be a great reward for hitting 50.

The class stories are one of the big selling points of the game. So why not use it twice and let people see the whole thing through without the interruptions of leveling up and gearing up? Give us a chance to appreciate the story with some popcorn to hand, cinema-style.

Non-instanced fights might be awkward, but it's already been shown the devs figured this one out in the Rakghoul plague and the Aquisitions Race. Both events had non-instanced fights that were adjusted for level.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.