How can MMO's get AWAY from gear based pvp?!

bigsexee

So I would like people to post Idea's of how to make pvp more SKILL based and LESS gear based!

My Idea is put WAY less expertise on the items....For example

Recruit gear should give 14 Expertise...(thats ONE for each item)

And make it where Expertise is not a HUGE boost BUT anuf to where SKILL makes a BIG difference

(Feel free to bash my Idea but PLEASE come up with some Idea's of your own!!!!)

Im just very sick of Gear=win

A good player in recruit gear should be able to kill a noob in battlemaster gear! (and gear is so easy to get a noob CAN be in full battlemaster gear!!!)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

how to get away from gear based PVP?

Step 1: Add player housing

Step 2: Add furniture to buy with warzone comms

Step 3: Normalize stats in warzones, where the fighting should be the fairest

Step 5: Remove PVP gear

Step 6: Add appearance tab

Step 7: Add more armor shells that can only be worn with higher valor rank

Step 8: Profit.

Well, I have an idea, so here it is:

1. Make the battle master gear look better than recruit( I do realize this will vary from person to person)

2. Make war hero look better than battle master ( again, a matter of opinion)

3. Set the stats of war hero to that of battle master

4. Set the stats of recruit gear to that of battle master

There, by doing this the gear gap is removed, and the only 'grind' is for a cooler ( I still realize this is a matter of opinion) looking set of gear, with NO better stats. Then all that is left is to balance classes, and I'm not going to go there, since this thread is for suggestions to eliminate the gear gap

So I would like people to post Idea's of how to make pvp more SKILL based and LESS gear based!

And make it where Expertise is not a HUGE boost BUT anuf to where SKILL makes a BIG difference

A good player in recruit gear should be able to kill a noob in battlemaster gear! (and gear is so easy to get a noob CAN be in full battlemaster gear!!!)

You want even pvp with only skill just allow a set that everyone purchases for free that have all the same equal stats across the board and get rid of the expertise and damage reduction and healing boost etc. Same gear across the board no on gets more of anything than the next. Allow different looks if you want but leave that cosmetic only. This would mean its all about the player skill and how they use the skills not oh I have full battlemaster and you have recruit so I roflpwned you.

how to get away from gear based PVP?

Step 1: Add player housing

Step 2: Add furniture to buy with warzone comms

Step 3: Normalize stats in warzones, where the fighting should be the fairest

Step 5: Remove PVP gear

Step 6: Add appearance tab

Step 7: Add more armor shells that can only be worn with higher valor rank

Step 8: Profit.

How does player housing help pvp at all?

at lvl 50 stats are normal....im talking end game not 10-49 pvp

Plz stay on topic =D

Edited by bigsexee

You want even pvp with only skill just allow a set that everyone purchases for free that have all the same equal stats across the board and get rid of the expertise and damage reduction and healing boost etc. Same gear across the board no on gets more of anything than the next. Allow different looks if you want but leave that cosmetic only. This would mean its all about the player skill and how they use the skills not oh I have full battlemaster and you have recruit so I roflpwned you.

Ummm I want skill to be the MAJOR factor to if you win or loose....is that so bad!!!!!!??????

WHY would the looks of your gear matter?....

Edited by bigsexee

Removing or reducing the expertise won't solve the problem, it'll just make people who pve and get the black hole/campaign gear dominant in pvp. The only way I can see is to have set values for stats based on class and when you enter a warzone. These would be the stats that everyone for that class has.

Removing or reducing the expertise won't solve the problem, it'll just make people who pve and get the black hole/campaign gear dominant in pvp. The only way I can see is to have set values for stats based on class and when you enter a warzone. These would be the stats that everyone for that class has.

No what I mean by reducing the expertise is lowering the # BUT still keeping expertise give a SLIGHT advantage above the HIGHEST PVE gear (again slight so SKILL would still be a MAJOR FACTOR)

When they nerf gear progression(and character progression for that matter), by turning everything into comsetics, and you realize MMO's (especially swtor) don't take much skill, then will you people come on these forums and whine about that?

No what I mean by reducing the expertise is lowering the # BUT still keeping expertise give a SLIGHT advantage above the HIGHEST PVE gear (again slight so SKILL would still be a MAJOR FACTOR)

Alright I see what you're saying and I think that could work after the exact numbers had been figured out, unfortunately unless bioware decides they want warzones to be fair and not about giving people better gear for time spent in pvp discussing the options won't really do anything.

Alright I see what you're saying and I think that could work after the exact numbers had been figured out, unfortunately unless bioware decides they want warzones to be fair and not about giving people better gear for time spent in pvp discussing the options won't really do anything.

Well gear for time spent does not mean crap all ready...I have played from launch...and at one time you could NOT get battlemaster gear unless you were a BATTLEMASTER!!!(makes sence to me!) then they nerfed that.....and hell even look at todays patch notes like 4-5 legacy perks have had their lvls reduced by ALOT.....Im at legacy lvl 46 and all my hard work get NOTHING....only people that have NOT done as much get MORE perks...but thats getting off topic

Edited by bigsexee

Arenanet already had this figured out years ago. To ensure a competitive environment for both PVP veterans and beginners a level playing field is ESSENTIAL, that means the only variables that should enter in a pvp match are the individual skill of the players and the class-make up of whatever groups are assembled.

This also had the benefit of making the pvp side of the game easier to balance, as the evolving metagame quickly revealed what was game-breaking and what could be improved so that each class was playable as intended.

The gear grind still owns PVP, but when all the stats are taken away what's left is simply STATUS. Hold artwork contests where the playerbase can vote on the top submissions for each class and make those selections the new ranked PVP gear. Consider customized companion appearances purchasable with ranked commendations. Mini-pets, furniture and other customization options for your ship. Have a holo playing in the middle of the fleet with the 8 members of the highest PVP rated team.

Take away the gear stats and all that's left is the pursuit of prestige. A simple solution. It even works for your Free-to-play model.

food for thought.

Once you are in augmented wh gear, do you still complain that its gear vs gear?

or does skill come into play when playing against other augmented wh players?

Just some food for thought. BTW if they turned our pvp into gw2 pvp, i'd stop pvp'ing... If I wanted to play gw2 pvp I would be signed up for that beta and playing it when it comes out. The game is crap imho, but thats just my feelings about the game.

Whether you like it or not, gearing/grinding was & is always a core factor in RPG type of game, as well as a strong factor that keep most people in MMORPG playing/paying.

If there was no gear grinding progress, SWTOR would be "Star War Call of Duty" or "Star War Battlefield" or "Gear of Star War". Just pvp straightly with your "skill" w/o headache of gearing up.

Now... do you really think the fun can last longer?

P.S. PvP gears grinding in SWTOR is really nothing comparing with others.

Edited by Superpasta

Arenanet already had this figured out years ago. To ensure a competitive environment for both PVP veterans and beginners a level playing field is ESSENTIAL, that means the only variables that should enter in a pvp match are the individual skill of the players and the class-make up of whatever groups are assembled.

I actually like GW2's approach.

- gear stats are normalised, so it's all based on skill

- rewards are purely aesthetic

- the better you are at PvP, the more ****** your character looks

Conclusion: MMO's can get away from gear based PvP with innovative development teams in a company that's willing to take risk in hopes of making the game more fun, less grind.

/thread

It's been said already, but just to reiterate:

It's pretty simple: create a different carrot to play to win for than better gear, f.ex.:

• Prestige
  • Alternate/cooler looking gear for higher rated players (several levels of this)
  • Other vanity items and fun stuff

.. and last but not least: make the game as fun as possible to play, so no carrot is needed in the first place. You know, like most FPS/RTS/other games where one player doesn't hold any gear advantage over another.

food for thought.

Once you are in augmented wh gear, do you still complain that its gear vs gear?

Hell yeah more than ever. It's ridiculous that my sage healer is regularly the tankiest person in a warzone...pvp would be so much better with normalized gear, and it could solve a lot of balance issues too, ie if PTs didn't have too much power on their gear their damage would be perfectly in line imo

Technically, why would they ?

What makes you play a MMORPG (please, don't call a cat a dog, a MMORPG is not a MMO, a MMO is not a genre, it's a characteristic, like "tall", "small", "online", "green", etc) if you dislike character progression ?

If a MMORPG doesn't go the character progression way (aka gear/level/xp/skills), what will stay there ?

PvP is fun, ok. Admittedly, it may even be more fun when you are about equal with a veteran gearwise (you still are not equal experience wise, and the more demanding the game would be, the harder it would be, the gear will disappear but another gap will exist. At least the gear allows inexperienced player to get the edge over more experienced but worst gear player), but what would prevent gaming companies to create a MMO Hack and Slash for example, where technically your gear would play no role what so ever, where levelling wouldn't be possible, and where you could only choose skills, class, look, and be thrown in a WvWvW battle, but I still struggle to understand why the existance of such a game would prevent people to enjoy a character-progression-based-game.

I'm really looking forward to see GW2 released, not to play it, but to have many people who have no interest in MMORPG what so ever deserting our forums, let this game be what it was supposed to be, and enjoy a different approach. I'm tired of having people wanting to force me to like their approach, where I don't care about them liking my approach.

I definitely won't waste my time assisting base ball games while cursing them for not playing Basketball.

It's technically what you're doing.