5 months and no new content?

solidkjames

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe any MMO that launches now is not going to be able to supply enough content, but can have a community that will be happy if u communicate and release content on a steady pace. You just can't match Blizzard's resources and years of content. No matter how hard u try.

SWTOR has done neither, it has been a huge mess after its 1st patch.

After the debacle with some Aussies not being able to connect for weeks and the real lack of new playable content since April I have decided to take a break and try an MMO from a smaller team who is communicate with their community. Releasing decent content, including a Barber Shop soon. Plus movie their maintenance times so it doesn't have such a huge impact on Australians. My question is why did Bioware have such huge problems when a smaller company seems to be working hard to bring what their community wants?

Edited by Aus_Jedi

SWTOR launched December 20th, 2011. Since then, we've seen the addition of Legacy, Group Finder, two new flashpoints, two new operations, a new warzone, and a new daily area.

World of Warcraft's last content patch was on November 28th, 2011. Since the release of SWTOR, WoW has not dropped a single new piece of content for their game.

SWTOR is doing fine as far as content release goes.

The problem with this argument is that WoW was released in 2004 while SWTOR launched in 2011. What does that mean? Well apart from the obvious that WoW had nearly eight years of content and innovations over SWTOR it means that SWTOR had a perfectly good template to base itself around but apart from using a nearly identical UI the developers seemed to ignore all the lessons WoW has taught.

While I can certainly understand the argument some of the developers have made that having a game launch with group finder or instance/Flash Point ques could make the world "feel smaller," it is these quality of life features that help keep an MMO going. If it's overly difficult to put together a group or takes far too long to find some help to do a quest people will, and demonstrably have, lost interest. A game launching in 2011 should not be adding features like group finder in content updates or have dual-specs in some nebulous "when it's ready" development cycle, they should and are expected to be there from the start.

I certainly enjoy SWTOR, I played in multiple betas and purchased my CE with a smile on my face. That being said, I can't ignore the lack of innovation, the almost fearful lack of risk taking, and the drought of content. I think most people who have played this game wanted to see it succeed, wanted to see a story driven MMO that wasn't afraid to make player choices matter and have long lasting impact. This game was built on and raised so many hopes that I don't think it ever could have delivered but it didn't need to come crashing down so damn hard.

I think it's safe to assume until they get F2P working and seeing how much money is any they will make. They pretty much just nearly given up on TOR. I imagine they will keep the game up for YEARS. But like an old book it will collect dust on the shelf. They maybe will deliver new content once every seven months.

Think about this. How long now are they supposed to release that new companion? and he's STILL not here. Enjoy the content you have.

I don't think they will give up. They will just produce cheaper content. Example is DCUO that went to f2p in about the same amount of time as SWTOR. Their content is mostly rehashed content, nothing new or original. Also the gear they release has nothing to do with being a super hero.

Lets hope that what they do release here will be for the Stars Wars Universe.

I don't think they will give up. They will just produce cheaper content. Example is DCUO that went to f2p in about the same amount of time as SWTOR. Their content is mostly rehashed content, nothing new or original. Also the gear they release has nothing to do with being a super hero.

Lets hope that what they do release here will be for the Stars Wars Universe.

That's the worrying thing, most MMORPGs that go F2P at best keep up with their rate of content (and usually not the quality of content) from subscription days.

Compared to say Rift, SWTOR is already lagging behind.

I believe any MMO that launches now is not going to be able to supply enough content, but can have a community that will be happy if u communicate and release content on a steady pace. You just can't match Blizzard's resources and years of content. No matter how hard u try.

SWTOR has done neither, it has been a huge mess after its 1st patch.

After the debacle with some Aussies not being able to connect for weeks and the real lack of new playable content since April I have decided to take a break and try an MMO from a smaller team who is communicate with their community. Releasing decent content, including a Barber Shop soon. Plus movie their maintenance times so it doesn't have such a huge impact on Australians. My question is why did Bioware have such huge problems when a smaller company seems to be working hard to bring what their community wants?

What needs to happen is have content be HARD so that not every guild is clearing it a week after it's released. I don't necessarily have a problem with how fast/slow Bioware has been putting out content; however, I do have a problem with how easy the content is.

Easy content means people get bored super fast.

Edited by TheRealCandyMan

While true one must consider WoW is a much older game that has far more content. The problem is SWTOR invested everything in "story" but once you max level one character per faction you've seen roughly 80% of what the game has to offer. Class stories are great and wonderfully unique but if I need to grind through that much content over and over again just for a 20% difference is it really worth it?

Everyone wanted SWTOR to be the next big thing and we all hoped that it could keep the KOTOR legacy going but fact is the lack of new content, the delays in adding features which should be expected of a modern MMO, and persistent stories of a studio shifting around it just collapsed under its own weight.

I hope the next patch gives all the content they have promised, but it just seems to be another case of too little too late.

Quoted for truth.

What needs to happen is have content be HARD so that not every guild is clearing it a week after it's released. I don't necessarily have a problem with how fast/slow Bioware has been putting out content; however, I do have a problem with how easy the content is.

A week after release? Try 3 days.

Trying to defend ToR by stating that "WoW hasn't released new raid content since last year" ignores the fact that all MMO's near the end of an expansion cycle more or less stop releasing content; after all, is that not what we have going on here in ToR, right this instant? They have new zones and additionals levels coming as our next content update (i.e. comparable to a WoW expansion pack), but this will not arrive until... well, they won't say! All that we've had provided to us in the past five months is one very small raid, one warzone, one flashpoint, and one event. This from a game with a development budget that boggles the mind and that initially carried nearly two million paying subscribers.

WoW will be shipping with sixteen raid bosses and several new dungeons in its next expansion; it is adding pet battles and farming for the casuals, and new PvE and PvP achievements (genuinely hard to attain ones) for the more hardcore crowd. No matter what kind of player you are, unless you simply hate WoW (which is fine, I can respect that stance), then there will be something there for you to enjoy.

What is ToR giving us in the next while? The only thing we have even a rough idea of is a F2P 'freemium' model, which is being brought in to stop the game from dying off entirely (F2P conversions typically represening the failure of an MMORPG - see ToR and AoC's lack of 'real' content for proof), and promises of some long-distant content patch, the details of which (in terms of quantifiable depth of content) are vague to non-existent.

Quoted for truth

Ok F2P is fine and I understand you want more people playing the game. But we SERIOUSLY need some new content in this game. The same 4 bosses for 5 straight months is beyond stupid. April 1.2 launched and it is now August. Nightmare mode should have been out months ago so please stop firing people and work on the game, you might be surprised that people would actually stay around if there is something to do.

well said..and for those fanboys 1.3 gave no new content ..just some tools that should really have been in game at start.

and yes clearly BW has no idea what keeps an active interested player base....

star trek online did the same thing but they had a 9 month content delay then they announced free to play with subscribers getting 400 cryptic points a month. you can expect new content in february

Maybe they holding back right now content, so that they can show us they can deliver content when they go F2P.

Edited by Drudenfusz

Maybe they holding back right now content, so that they can show us they can deliver content when they go F2P.

Yeah, why would they release content to people who have been supporting their game since release when they can withhold it and not only make the subscription fee, but also the F2P cost of the content when they release it.

What isn't helping is the silence, a timeline, hell.. even some communication would be nice. And no, "Check out what's Coming Soon" ain't it :rolleyes:

Why they don't at least have a developers letter every 3 months is beyond me.

The only reason I can think of is that they don't have anything to put in a 3 monthly developers letter. :(

The problem with that is that if you make the content so difficult that the best guilds don't clear it in a week then it becomes too hard for the more casual guilds to clear at all in any reasonable time frame. Locking casual players out of new content for months is also a bad idea.

Yeah, it's now August 6th. 1.2 launched on April 12th. That's not even 4 months.

Considering 1.4 isn't on PTS yet, and the length of time that 1.2 was on PTS, we can safely conclude that it will be well over 4 months between content updates.

Yeah, it's now August 6th. 1.2 launched on April 12th. That's not even 4 months.

Remember this?

For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting.

I'm not impressed :rod_tongue_g:

Edited by _Corew

LOTRO went through a much worse content drought.

Dec 1st 2009: Expansion "Siege of Mirkwood" Released - Included 2x 3man instances, 1x 6man instance, 1x 12man instance

Sep 2010 / Nov 2010: LOTRO Goes Free To Play (No new instances)

March 21st 2011: Update 2 Released, included 2x 3man instances, 2x 6man instances, 1x 12man instance

That meant that for those of us who enjoyed endgame group content, we had to survive off just a single fellowship (6) instance and a single raid. The raid was also terrible: only 3 bosses and hours and hours of trash. This lasted nearly 16 months, during which there wasn't even a pvp update!

So, us loyal LOTRO fans got shafted in the run up to F2P, then got shafted with the release of F2P and the first update too. What made it worse was Turbine telling us that they'd tripled their profits with F2P. Those profits got put in to making the next expansion: Rise of Isenguard. Took maybe 2-4 days to level up through the level cap and then surprise surprise: no endgame! All we got was 1 12man raid which had no trash and only 1 boss.....we didn't get any instances, no pvp, nothing....

F2P may have helped Turbine keep the game alive, but it didn't help the game get better, it in fact made it worse for those of us who consider ourselves "core gamers" and wanted endgame activities.

F2P is likely to do the same to SW:TOR - casual gamers will provide the increased revenue for EA and thus EA will insist on generating content for casual gamers. Core gamers will lose out, again, and will still lack content, pvp etc.

LOTRO went through a much worse content drought.

Dec 1st 2009: Expansion "Siege of Mirkwood" Released - Included 2x 3man instances, 1x 6man instance, 1x 12man instance

Sep 2010 / Nov 2010: LOTRO Goes Free To Play (No new instances)

March 21st 2011: Update 2 Released, included 2x 3man instances, 2x 6man instances, 1x 12man instance

Er...... pretty sure SoM introduce the whole skrimish instance idea, and that was BEFORE F2P.