SWTOR move to free-to-play could attract up to 50 million players

cupe

BioWare doesn't exist any more. If they do, they're in a very small office in Canada hiding under tables. EA is making the decisions.

And do you realize what you just said about P2W vs. profit and EA? There is definitely profit in P2W... gamers will buy whatever gives them an ingame advantage! EA will float a trial P2W item on the cash shop very quickly after it launches and once they see it sells, they will milk the s... out of that model! (Mods: Feel free to get any EA VP to post that they'll never do P2W with this game and I'll eat my words gladly!)

This isn't some fine, upstanding, gamers-coding-for-gamers organization we're talking about. This is EA, the company that pissed off so many gamers it was voted the worst company in America over so many others with so much more abusive practices.

no there isn't a profit in P2W. Can you name a P2W game that didn't die out? Can you name one in North America that is popular? The second a P2W item comes the game would be dead. People would leave faster then they did after launch.

and thats my point. EA wants big profits. P2W does not give that. If it did we would have seen EA doing that in Battleifield 3, Warhammer Wrath of Heros or any of the other games. Pay 2 Win would be in every single EA game.

remember the quote by the head of EA that says they wanted to charge money to reload? Where is that? How come they haven't done it?

edit: I'm not counting face book games here btw.

Edited by jarjarloves

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no there isn't a profit in P2W. Can you name a P2W game that didn't die out? Can you name one in North America that is popular? The second a P2W item comes the game would be dead. People would leave faster then they did after launch.

and thats my point. EA wants big profits. P2W does not give that. If it did we would have seen EA doing that in Battleifield 3, Warhammer Wrath of Heros or any of the other games. Pay 2 Win would be in every single EA game.

remember the quote by the head of EA that says they wanted to charge money to reload? Where is that? How come they haven't done it?

If EA had the foresight to connect their development decisions to the game's success, we wouldn't be where we are today.

Edited by DarthTHC

It's EA. Check my signature...

edit: I'm not counting face book games here btw.

World of Tanks which sells ammo that is 33% better than anything you can buy with ingame money.

Which ammo is a MUST if you go into clan warfare. So, let`s say you got a new clan wanting to make a name for itself and challenge provinces = everybody needs gold rounds.

It`s really steady and doing well for it`s particular niche.

Somewhere other than India, we can assume, if he has that fancy 'lektrify stuff.

(Nice infrastructure dropping power to 100% of the 60% of your population that had it...)

ROFL!! That response was worth a very hearty chuckle. Thanks. :D

im gonna stick it out with my girl tor. but and and very huge BUT if they ask me as a sub player for cash on top of my monthly sub. im out im breaking up with tor.

why am i sticking with my old girl Tor?

In hopes for this new space project . is it coming ? i don't know.

seems to me EA came into the BW offices and said " all of you stop what ever it is your doing and make this game

free to play or your all fired"

but i really wanna see if they can do more with less. 2 rounds of lay offs and now content every month and a half?

well, id like to see if that can be done.

B.S, F2P is way to restrictive, if I'm not mistaken you are limited to one human char with limited content.

Sorry, but the game is already boring.

WoW raid mechanics where more enjoyable, Swtor really has nothing unique, its a copy of WoW in starwars now.

Does anyone really care? Most people play 1 character.

World of Tanks which sells ammo that is 33% better than anything you can buy with ingame money.

Which ammo is a MUST if you go into clan warfare. So, let`s say you got a new clan wanting to make a name for itself and challenge provinces = everybody needs gold rounds.

It`s really steady and doing well for it`s particular niche.

yeah its also by these guys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarus

I"ve never even heard of that company but from what I hear World of Tanks isnt' doing so hot anymore.

You're kidding right? Do you have absolutely no capacity for rational thought?

How in the WORLD do you think THIS GAME can get FIVE TIMES more subscribers than WoW has? That is so far beyond the realm of realistic possibility... even so far beyond the realm of fantastical possibility... that it requires no "credentials" to realize.

If you can't see that, well... it must be nice to be so blissful. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Even EA gives a number that's significantly lower than this farktard's low number.

How? Because it's Star Wars and they will be adding free roam space in, and you will be able to play the WHOLE game 1-50 experiencing the full voice over and questing without paying a DIME. That's how...and if they keep adding planets, content then damn right it can get it. They did a great thing with this hybrid system. It opens up star wars to TONS of people.

It depends on the expectations set primarily by investment but secondarily as set by the developers.

For this game? Not going F2P quicker than any subscription based MMO in history, for starters. That can also be worded as the ability to maintain more than 25% of the players who purchased the game as subscribers less than one year after launch.

For a game like Rift, produced by an upstart developer with unknown IP? They seem to be chugging along with their 250k (or whatever) subscribers and churning out content and features at a pretty solid clip. Smaller subscriber base than this game, but also unknown IP, unknown developer, likely far less investment all with greater quantity and quality of delivery. Success.

I agree about Rift. It is a very good MMO. And is successful because Trion does not need as much profits near as much as BioWare/EA does from TOR. Only reason I donot sub to is because it is not enough different than WoW is. Better in some ways, not as good in others. That is personal opinion of course, but I would not knock those who sub to Rift.

im gonna stick it out with my girl tor. but and and very huge BUT if they ask me as a sub player for cash on top of my monthly sub. im out im breaking up with tor.

why am i sticking with my old girl Tor?

In hopes for this new space project . is it coming ? i don't know.

seems to me EA came into the BW offices and said " all of you stop what ever it is your doing and make this game

free to play or your all fired"

but i really wanna see if they can do more with less. 2 rounds of lay offs and now content every month and a half?

well, id like to see if that can be done.

New content is easy to jam out. Its going to be a lot of crap.

what money? that's the reason they gave us.

No. They said that 40% of people who didn't subscribe said the subscription fee was the problem.

Anyone with half a brain knows the subscription fee is not the problem (for any adult with a computer and internet connection). The problem is that once the 6 month subs terminate in August, they will be below their profit line and they needed to do something about it. The problem is that too many people see the game as not worth paying anything for. $15 or $7.50 doesn't matter. And once all those freebies play through 2-3 class stories they'll leave too, because the rest of the class stories might be good but they have to wade through the planetary and side quest lines AGAIN to be on-level for the class stories and that's boring as hell.

That cop-out.

yeah its also by these guys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarus

I"ve never even heard of that company but from what I hear World of Tanks isnt' doing so hot anymore.

April 12, 2010 is the date at which it launched in EU.

You asked about ONE game that didn`t die out. WoT is alive and kicking since 2010 and on its way to release World of Airplanes to expand, even.

[EDIT]

Can you name a P2W game that didn't die out?
Edited by Styxx

And once all those freebies play through 2-3 class stories they'll leave too, because the rest of the class stories might be good but they have to wade through the planetary and side quest lines AGAIN to be on-level for the class stories and that's boring as hell.

That's what the "boosts" in the CS will be for.

I wonder if they'll even bother reducing the exp you get to prolong the grind and make people buy them.

IMO it's not needed because Taris is gonna slap anyone who's playing Rep in the face soon enough.

No. They said that 40% of people who didn't subscribe said the subscription fee was the problem.

Anyone with half a brain knows the subscription fee is not the problem (for any adult with a computer and internet connection). The problem is that once the 6 month subs terminate in August, they will be below their profit line and they needed to do something about it. The problem is that too many people see the game as not worth paying anything for. $15 or $7.50 doesn't matter. And once all those freebies play through 2-3 class stories they'll leave too, because the rest of the class stories might be good but they have to wade through the planetary and side quest lines AGAIN to be on-level for the class stories and that's boring as hell.

That cop-out.

you're leaving out a key point of that quote by them

The message from players exiting the game is clear -- 40% say they were turned off by the monthly subscription, and many indicate they would come back if we offer a free-to-play model.

again yes many people will play for free then leave. But as we have seen with other F2P games like LoL, LotrO, DDO and other there are many more that will end up spending FAR more then $15 a month.

So from a business perspective it should work.

From our perspective well it all depends on the content so we will have to wait and see.

Edited by jarjarloves