Interesting interview with Peter Moore

Senden

Then again, does anyone really think that this switch is all or even mostly about bringing in new blood?

I do. I think (and this is just my opinion) they are either below their "profitable state" of 500K subscribers, or nearly so. With subscriptions predicted to drop below that mark. I think the $15 box set released later (before the launch of F2P) is meant to bolster those numbers back up in the black, to hold them over until F2P launches.

Having said all that, I do not have much to base this on. I do not claim it to be true, just pointing out my opinion on the matter.

Edited by Blattan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do. I think (and this is just my opinion) they are either below their "profitable state" of 500K subscribers, or nearly so. With subscriptions predicted to drop below that mark. I think the $15 box set released later (before the launch of F2P) is meant to bolster those numbers back up in the black, to hold them over until F2P launches.

Having said all that, I do not have much to base this on. I do not claim it to be true, just pointing out my opinion on the matter.

And you could be completely right. Mine is based on my opinion and experiences as well. I just don't see that there would be that big of a market left untapped after several free weekends, the friends trial, and now free-to-fifteen.

Edited by SirRobin

I think it's both.

If they wanted to just milk current subscribers, they could (and I believe would) have just put in a cash store.

But by going F2P, they get the best of both worlds!

They can (and will) try and milk the subs for more then the monthly sub, as well as try to get all they can from those coming in to play the game "for free".

"It's a trap!"

Edited by Skoobie

And you could be completely right. Mine is based on my opinion and experiences as well. I just don't see that there would be that big of a market left untapped after several free weekends, the friends trial, and now free-to-fifteen.

Oh, I wasn't trying to suggest there was any market to tap. I think there is a bit when it is free.

I just think the whole point of the shift is the need for more players (read income).

Well they did actually use the word "subscribers" when giving us the "range" so it is possible that it is at least not counting the "free-to-fifteens." Of course not referencing them might be a very bad thing since if the free-to-fifteens are a negligible percentage of the total, it doesn't bode well for expanding F2P access.

Then again, does anyone really think that this switch is all or even mostly about bringing in new blood? They've done the friend trials, free weekends, and are now even doing a free-to-fifteen and it certainly doesn't seem to be helping. They've already got an apparently loyal fan base. Its just relatively small.

They are still here, and still paying, so why not give them more ways to pay? EA's best bet is to find more things for them to spend money on. I strongly suspect that after November, even with the $15 a month option, there will be plenty in the cash shop that we'll need to spend a little extra to get.

Its more about getting as much money as possible out of their core audience than attracting a new one.

Yeah, they do (verbally) use the word "subscriptions", but I'd still bet that was actually "active accounts" to all intents and purposes.

Nearly all "F2P" or more correctly Cashshop models (as F2P with cashshop is rarely actually "free" to play) show a decent bump in income for 1-2 years after F2P, which is what I think is probably enticing EA now.

Looking at the current F2P games after 1-2 years they are dropping back to their pre-F2P numbers, but I suppose from an purely profits point of view they have the cash by then and don't really care what remains of the game.

Of course players that were intending to play long-term (5 years of more) will greatly care with F2P does to the game in general. :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.