I had a curious thought

Sarfux

Do you think the reason why people don't like this game and don't call it "together" enough is because there are planets spread out and it isn't ONE world that works in conjunction like the other mmos? I keep thinking that.

Well, I find it fairly spread apart because of the dullness of getting between planets.

You enter your ship, press a button, boom ur on a new planet, its even more unrealistic than Kotor was, there was always like a little cutscene or somthing of time passing.

And yes it feels like we are on a small portion of each planet not able to go out and explore, it FEELS linear.

Between the Linear feeling and the WoW-like Endgame, that is why swtor is losing subscriptions, but don't get me wrong, swtor is less linear than other mmos, but people are looking for a mmo that will break the mold WoW has set.

Edited by Daethorz

Between Linear and the Endgame, that is why swtor is losing subscriptions, but don't get me wrong, swtor is less linear than other mmos.

I have to disagree. From a PvE "questing" POV there is only ONE path from 1 to 50. Other games have multiple "quest paths" to get from 1 to level cap. While there are other "options" to leveling (Space, FPS, PvP, etc.), the fact ( and it is a fact ) that there is only one questing path, makes this game the most linear game on the market today.

SWTOR is an awsome single player RPG.

Edited by Urael

I have to disagree. From a PvE "questing" POV there is only ONE path from 1 to 50. Other games have multiple "quest paths" to get from 1 to level cap. While there are other "options" to leveling (Space, FPS, PvP, etc.), the fact ( and it is a fact ) that there is only one questing path, makes this game the most linear game on the market today.

QFT. This is why I'm very slow at leveling an alt. Sure some of the story lines are fun and interesting (minus Consular, when I can just decide to kill people I'm supposed to be saving, and have no repurcussion, it gets pretty boring). But also knowing that I will do all of the quest and they will all be the same (minus story, mind you), its kind of discouraging. I could level a character, but I'd just end up doing the same quest in the same area killing the same mobs. And you can only lvl off of PVP for so long before you realize it would be quicker to run through all of those boring quest. :(

Travelling between planets its a bit annoying. The amount of zoning you have to go thru to travel from 1 planet to another is silly. Spaceport > Ship Hanger > Ship > Orbital Station > Hanger > Spaceport. It was cute the first few times but got real old real fast. It would have been easier if the elevator in the space-port just took you right into your ship.

Do you think the reason why people don't like this game and don't call it "together" enough is because there are planets spread out and it isn't ONE world that works in conjunction like the other mmos? I keep thinking that.

Part of it.

It would be nice if they revamped space combat so that you traveled between planets and that you could customize your ship and even get new ones.

And yes it feels like we are on a small portion of each planet not able to go out and explore, it FEELS linear.

I never really understood this "linear" complaint. You want a whole planet to explore? Why exactly? You want to hop on your speeder for 20 minutes and drive out to nowhere with no missions and no NPCs? What would you do out there?

I've only played Guild Wars and SWTOR. Can you give an example how other games have multiple "quest paths" for leveling? In Guild Wars, you had your main quest and your side quests. I always thought all MMOs were set up pretty much the same way.

But at least swtor has multiple options to responding to the same quests, WoW was so boring after your second character of the same faction you did all the zones and it was just, Accept > Finish > Turn in.

I can't remember the last time I read the quest logs in WoW and actually cared why the level 20 farmer wanted me the little level 1 warrior to go collect 17 pig's asses so he could hoard them over me and pay me a measly 12 copper.

This game is the Monorail of MMOs - I've never played an MMO that restricted you so much. With no choice of zones to level up in whatsoever the replay potential is pretty poor to say the least. I've got 6 alts now, and the repetition is getting very boring. In another couple of months I feel it will be time to move on. I've enjoyed the game up to now, but the writing is on the wall, sadly.

I've only played Guild Wars and SWTOR. Can you give an example how other games have multiple "quest paths" for leveling? In Guild Wars, you had your main quest and your side quests. I always thought all MMOs were set up pretty much the same way.

The quest paths hes reffering to are like in WoW, you can choose to go into different zones depending on faction/race/walking to the other side of the planet. You didnt always have to go through the same zones. But there is only like 2 for each faction so 3rd character on 1 faction was a repeat

In, WoW, EQ, EQ II, AO, CoH/V for intance you had multiple "starting zone" that anyone could start in. Off of each starting zone you had multiple directions to go and quest in. You were not directed to any one area. You could figure out a "pattern" to level in. You are still restricted by the content "level" of the area you were in but you had multile areas of the same content level to choose from.

In SWTOR you have one path from level 1 to Level Cap. In other MMORPGs you have multiple paths from level 1 to Level Cap.

Edited by Urael

WoW had multiple zones that were set up for the same level, so if hit level 25 you could go Stranglethorn Vale, or Arathi Highlands or the Stonetalon Mountians and hit level 30 never having to go to those other two zones. Gave your next alt variety.

This game IS very much linear, I even bought all 5 WZ xp perks and Im still having to run side quests that I did on my first 2 50's, going through the exact same thing minus the very 1st starter planets.

I never really understood this "linear" complaint. You want a whole planet to explore? Why exactly? You want to hop on your speeder for 20 minutes and drive out to nowhere with no missions and no NPCs? What would you do out there?

Ever played Red Dead Redemption or GTA?

Thats why. Also games that have exploration usually have something to collect or side quests that reward the player for doing so.

There's going to be a massive drawback though if they add in "multiple paths" to level through.

It dilutes the playerbase. I like seeing and encountering players. What I don't want is to completely clear an area and not see a single person. Another problem with this is that with an increase in questing areas you also increase the number of heroic quests. How long do you think you will have to wait till you get a pug group together to do this content?

Which would you rather have, a social enviornment that's on rails or one where the playerbase is stretched so thin that trying to get a group to do some group quests becomes an exercise in futility?

It isn't quite as simple as just adding more content with many variables to consider. Is it possible, yes. But seeing it work in practice might be something else entirely.

There's going to be a massive drawback though if they add in "multiple paths" to level through.

It dilutes the playerbase. I like seeing and encountering players. What I don't want is to completely clear an area and not see a single person. Another problem with this is that with an increase in questing areas you also increase the number of heroic quests. How long do you think you will have to wait till you get a pug group together to do this content?

Which would you rather have, a social enviornment that's on rails or one where the playerbase is stretched so thin that trying to get a group to do some group quests becomes an exercise in futility?

It isn't quite as simple as just adding more content with many variables to consider. Is it possible, yes. But seeing it work in practice might be something else entirely.

But if the population is as strong and stable as people claim, and with the server merges then that shouldnt even be an issue right?

A story-driven game has to be linear to some extent.

Look up "exponential growth" and then imagine the resources required to write, script, program, and voice-act for such a huge number of possible branching paths.

I do agree that after the 5th or so time going through the same quests, they get a little bit tiring. However there's enough variation in the dialogue triggered by differences in your character's class, gender, race, or past events you have done (and even whether or not you are in a group) to keep it interesting enough for me to not space-bar.

Add to that how in beta, players complained that their choices had consequences, for example killing off a companion. It's easy to see why our game is very linear and most choices do not make a difference, because that's exactly what the players wanted. It's an easy criticism for people to say "there's no exploration in this game" yet they never even bother to get Datacrons and haven't touched all the lore objects and revealed all corners of the map on each planet - they don't actually like exploration, they just like complaining.