Lack of Open World PVP or RVR...

Boozed

....is making this game boring, fast.

I've played since Early Access and I'm getting really, really bored with the same 4 war zones night in and night out.

Hate to make this thread about GW2, but the major appeal of that game is there more options for PvPers. Want to play scenarios? Hop into the Heart of the Mists and do it. Want to head out into the massive conflict of World vs. World (RvR) with your small coordinated group and attack strategic supply lines and towers or harass the zerg? Maybe you want to zerg it up yourself, and overrun Keeps and Garrisons. There are TONS of options available, take your pick.

I love everything about this game, but the lack of options in PvP is just getting boring. I'm really hoping there will be an announcement soon about the status of Open world PvP in this game that will make me want to stick around. :(

I wouldn't get your hopes up. The engine can't handle lots of people in the same area. Back in the Ilum days everyone had lag, even super computers from NASA would have had lag in that area.

Yeah it was pretty bad, I definitely remember. I'm still holding out hope for something though.

RVRVR isn't innovative, I'll just point that out. The concept is almost as old as MMOs themselves.

That being said, that makes it all the more disappointing that an MMO with PVP, an intense faction vs faction history and back story, and exists in 2012 lacks any capability of large scale PVP.

However, it is what it is I guess.

There is open world PVP btw. It happens all the time. Been in some fairly decent 10 on 10s or on one occasion, 20 on 20 fairly recently. Happens mostly on Voss. If you want open world PVP, it's the best place as both factions travel the same routes and there is usually something going down. Not organized or game created, but it really doesn't have to be and some would say it shouldn't be. If the game could handle more people at a time, it would be great. For example, GW2 doesn't bat an eyelash when there are like 50 or 100 people fighting in the same place.

Organized RvR isn't really needed. But, large scale fights should be possible without ****** high quality machines down to single digit FPS. That would make common end-game areas ripe with large scale battles as a lot of people would hang out there just for that. Sure, people would whine about it, but if it's on a PVP server, you agreed to the disclaimer.

RVRVR isn't innovative, I'll just point that out. The concept is almost as old as MMOs themselves.

That being said, that makes it all the more disappointing that an MMO with PVP, an intense faction vs faction history and back story, and exists in 2012 lacks any capability of large scale PVP.

However, it is what it is I guess.

There is open world PVP btw. It happens all the time. Been in some fairly decent 10 on 10s or on one occasion, 20 on 20 fairly recently. Happens mostly on Voss. If you want open world PVP, it's the best place as both factions travel the same routes and there is usually something going down. Not organized or game created, but it really doesn't have to be and some would say it shouldn't be. If the game could handle more people at a time, it would be great. For example, GW2 doesn't bat an eyelash when there are like 50 or 100 people fighting in the same place.

Organized RvR isn't really needed. But, large scale fights should be possible without ****** high quality machines down to single digit FPS. That would make common end-game areas ripe with large scale battles as a lot of people would hang out there just for that. Sure, people would whine about it, but if it's on a PVP server, you agreed to the disclaimer.

Where did anyone in this thread say RvR was innovative? Taking an existing 2 faction game and "converting" it to 3 faction PvP is an innovation however.

The random PvP you're talking about won't keep PvPers playing this game, sorry. A reward based system for Open World vs. World will. We need OPTIONS and right now we have very few.

Edited by Boozed

World pvp almost always ends up with 2 groups of people standing 30 meters from each other and casting long range spells/abilities. If you're melee you run in and instantly die so no thanks, I'd rather stick to WZs. I understand some people like large scale zergs to cover lack of skill but not all of us like to hide behind wall of other players, cast one spell over and over again and call it skill.

World pvp almost always ends up with 2 groups of people standing 30 meters from each other and casting long range spells/abilities. If you're melee you run in and instantly die so no thanks, I'd rather stick to WZs. I understand some people like large scale zergs to cover lack of skill but not all of us like to hide behind wall of other players, cast one spell over and over again and call it skill.

I disagree with you, reason swtor ended up **** that was the simple fact everyone had below 10fps.

there was no point in rushing in. I played several games where melee classes were used to flank main groups with 200+ people.

However this was not in star wars for reasons explained earlier.

The fact to the matter stays the same and i agree with OP, same warzones gets boring, i stopped my sub 2 days ago and lack of endgame for pvpers was my main reason. With me the few remaining people in our guild left too.

I hope they do improve the pvp aspect, when they do i will be the first to resub but until then i keep the facepalm up for what pvp is and what it could have been. :(

And no, im not going to guild wars as it is just another standard mmo overhyped by TROLLS who quit within a month to the next game anyway.

RVR!!!!

hahahh I haven't heard that term in a while... I NEED MOAR ARPEEESS!!!...

Ok but seriously, The devs need to get off their arses, and get the capabilities to have massive illum style PVP...

If Dark Age of Camelot could do it 10 years ago, and to this day still have the best PVP system in the MMO world... then there is NO reason why it can't be done on this game. It just takes some work that the devs don't want to put in.

GW2 is bringing back DAOC type RvR in a big way.

Well sort of, will see how it all shapes up once the game goes live. Gets pretty old wanting to do open world pvp and having to wait in a queue forever just to get to the zone.

This game would be sweet if they didn't fail horribly at the objective based open world pvp like the did.

GW2 is bringing back DAOC type RvR in a big way. I'm a huge fan of this game but unfortunately they're really blowing it with PvP.

I agree whole heartily.

Its a shame that people that have no idea of what true Open world is (ie DAoC) have settled for this meaningless, instanced PvP....

What happened to fighting for benefit of others... Thats why I did RvR besides the fact it was fun. I felt that it was a Duty of mine, to help our realm.... and try and get relics and capture the objectives to get us access to Darkness Falls or bonuses from the relics...

But what do I know... I was a scout. lol

I love everything about this game, but the lack of options in PvP is just getting boring. I'm really hoping there will be an announcement soon about the status of Open world PvP in this game that will make me want to stick around. :(

I feel the same way, the whole daily routine thing is starting to get seriously old.

The game needs ways for people to unwind, it needs some sort of persistent PvP. Look at what Rift is doing: their content is under the same constant pressure (even though they're faster in churning out PvE content) and they are adding a new form of persistent PvP.

I don't know how GW2 will be doing after 7 months, but right now, it does have that advantage that you can pretty much choose to go in whatever direction and have fun.

Edited by Fdzzaigl

The brilliance of WvW in GW2 is they are pitting servers against each other. "Realm pride" creates meaningful PvP, something reward systems and gear treadmills can never do. I'm hoping SWTOR implements something similar but it doesn't look like this is going to happen in the near future :(

The brilliance of WvW in GW2 is they are pitting servers against each other. "Realm pride" creates meaningful PvP, something reward systems and gear treadmills can never do. I'm hoping SWTOR implements something similar but it doesn't look like this is going to happen in the near future :(

Yeah, I'm kinda curious to see how this ends up working out.

It's funny all the back and forth I had with pve'ers (before the game came out) and their claim pve is what will keep subs and pvpv'ers are a small sub group yada yada yada. I think B.W believed that aswell. I agree world pvp is so sparse ,by the time you get to alderaan for example the imps have packed it up and left that bugs me to no end. Incentive does need to be given for world pvp as well as open space combat. I really feel those two thing would bring alot of people back. Aswell as ship/housing perks decorative ,trophy etc