EA shareholders meeting: over/under 300k subs?

DarksideWK

Based on the "Concurrent login" thread somewhere around here at around 36,000, and the quote that "at any time 10% of the total population are logged on" I would guess initially 360,000. Add in the number of people with subs who are not logging in 'cause they have quit and those with free trials I'll add in another 100,000. Then I'll add another 40,000 as padding for the fact that the concurrent login thread is only an average estimate.

So I am guessing around 500,000 subscriptions. But stable.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were the ones begging for the server mergers

The server mergers were a good thing. The very limited transfer to what server you wanted was a very bad thing. I still know players who are waiting to transfer toons to servers of their choice. Many are not subbing till they can. I am sure other people have the same story.

I would guess 250K-500K subs right now.

The server mergers were a good thing. The very limited transfer to what server you wanted was a very bad thing. I still know players who are waiting to transfer toons to servers of their choice. Many are not subbing till they can. I am sure other people have the same story.

I would guess 250K-500K subs right now.

Add to that that the merges came much later then they should have.

Subs doesn't equal active players, guess there are many players who still have subs but don't play much (is nothing there for them to do without a content update). So, I guess 750k-900k, but only half of that can be considered active players.

I'll preface this by saying I love SWTOR, understand that young MMOs require patience, expect it to grow and expand, and am dismayed by the rumor-mongering, negativity, and extreme obsession with subscription numbers.

In my opinion, the #1 threat to the game at this point is the community itself and the (I believe unfounded) negative perception of the game on the Internet. There are thousands of people playing the game every day and enjoying it, but it is a struggle to attract new players to the game if their first and only impressions of the game are extremely negative rants from people championing the game to fail. Heralding the death of a game can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Uh oh, we have an adult in the room. I 100% agree with you. Children, read and learn.

Around 1 Mil. The drop in subs naturally levels out. The shakeout period is at an end.

In order to give myself some room, as you people will tear up ANYONE who isn't exactly right. When I say around 1 Mil I mean anywhere from 875k to 1.25M.

Edited by Arkerus

I'll preface this by saying I love SWTOR, understand that young MMOs require patience, expect it to grow and expand, and am dismayed by the rumor-mongering, negativity, and extreme obsession with subscription numbers.

Current subscriber numbers will likely be revealed on July 31, with the quarterly investor call.

Feb 2011: EA CEO indicates 500k subscribers means SWTOR is "substantially profitable."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/star-wars-the-old-republic-needs-only-500k-subscribers-ea-6297338

That number for profitability could have changed since then (up or down), based on development cost, services, staff reduction, etc etc.

Assuming that profit margin stayed the same, they have a substantial surplus of revenue from boxed copies and subs based on the numbers from launch to May (even if you factor in the included month at launch and the 1.2 free month).

The bottom line is: I believe that unless subscribers dip less than 200k or so, the game is financially fine with the current subscription model. Even then, it's not "dead," by any means.

As for layoffs and restructuring of the development team, that is a natural cycle of game development and we as bystanders don't know how much of that (if any) is due to budgetary concerns due to sales. Even so, it may not be a good indicator of the future development or sustainability of the game. Also, anyone that has ever worked on a *huge* development project or witnessed bureaucracy can attest to to the fact that more cooks in the kitchen does not necessarily result in a better meal.

In my opinion, the #1 threat to the game at this point is the community itself and the (I believe unfounded) negative perception of the game on the Internet. There are thousands of people playing the game every day and enjoying it, but it is a struggle to attract new players to the game if their first and only impressions of the game are extremely negative rants from people championing the game to fail. Heralding the death of a game can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

What he said you all need to stop acting like you know anything about a business your not in. Game struggles because of trolls while the actual players dont even bother posting.

What he said you all need to stop acting like you know anything about a business your not in. Game struggles because of trolls while the actual players dont even bother posting.

trolling these forums is more fun once u have a few lvl 50s try it and see !

He must have taken down the page since there was no news...

It said John Riccitiello's presentation did not mention SWTOR and it was not brought up in the Q&A that followed. Based on other sites reporting of the meeting the Q&A revolved around (at least in part) if Riccitiello would be keeping his job amid investor rumors that there would be a change.

Really can't help but feel that this part of your statement couldn't be more inaccurate.

The negative perception of the game is mostly justified, as someone who is still here and playing the game (if only for a few hours per week these days), I can say I have been mostly disappointed by what I've seen so far, and that very few things (mainly the pvp, which isn't very original, but still fun) have kept me around until this point.

I don't want to really go into all of the things that I've felt were underwhelming or disappointing, but it's enough to say that there have been a lot of them. I have had a lot of criticism for the game, but I don't feel that I *want* it to fail, I just feel like it's not going to be a very good game for a very long time, it's basically going to suck for a while with the lay offs, the restructuring, and the terrible word of mouth that the game has going around (not only the internet) at this time.

It simply isn't possible for them to turn it around quickly, but you really can't blame the people that are (mostly) simply reporting what is happening, or better yet, what isn't happening in the game. A lot of the negative reviews (or rants as you might put it) are from pretty honest, reliable sources, and to simply cast them all aside as being unfounded is I think a bit illogical.

Anyway, my guess is around 500-600k.

Edited by Celebrus

Based on the concurrent users thread i'd say about 400,000. Add in 100,000 3/6 monthers who are waiting to expire and another 100,000 free trial people and the number they will report will likely be around 600,000.

Anywhere between 600,000-700,000 wouldn't surprise me.