Performance is killing my experience

StreakerDroid

Hi

My sub expires on the 27th and I simply cant enjoy this game due to the sluggish performance. Even on low settings it runs poorly on my laptop. I have a I7 @ 2.2 ghz, 8gb ram, ATI 7690 2gb card and it just runs like crap. I have games line Alan Wake, MP3 and BF3 on max settings with AA 8x and they look and play spectacularly.

Ok so I can put up with poor graphics, it is SW after all but it runs bad on low settings too! Tried pvp and it was just awful performance.

I mean the graphics are not exactly amazing so there should not be a problem to run on my laptop. The main problem is in PVP, it becomes so sluggish that I have no idea what is going on.

Custumer service is non existent in this game, I post in tech support and no reponse.

I guess this game was simply not meant for my computer or my laptop was not meant for this game.

welcome to the club. they did a really poor job with optimizing the engine, actually it's a total mess. don't expect any improvements in the near future, they've got more important thing to take care of .. like saving this game from sudden doom.

don't be fooled by fanbois saying this game runs awesome on their systems - they're either lying/trolling or they've got $3000 dollar systems that can just compensate the major engine flaws.

Edited by Rikeryo

welcome to the club. they did a really poor job with optimizing the engine, actually it's a total mess. don't expect any improvements in the near future, they've got more important thing to take care of .. like saving this game from sudden doom.

don't be fooled by fanbois saying this game runs awesome on their systems - they're either lying/trolling or they've got $3000 dollar systems that can just compensate the major engine flaws.

I am not a fanboy as I have unsubbed. But the game does run fine on my I7 2600, Radeon 6850. At max settings. I donot like the graphics in TOR however, as the high AA is not really high and the shadows are aweful. Same goes for the armor textures. Which is basically a washed out look. All one needs to test this is to log into Rift. Even WoW has better armor textures than TOR does. Not saying the OP is not having issues, a lot of players do. There is something going on with those machines and the game's engine which I am not technical knowledgable enough to say what it is.

Have you heard or tried a programed called Game Booster from IOBOT .

Game Booster sets up your PC for game playing and shuts off many of the OS program that steals your PC's resources. You can go into the settings and tell it what to shut off when starting up before game play.

Under Game Booster Tool, it has a Defrag program that I use after each SWTOR update.

This has helped my game play to run very smooth

Hope this helps you ;)

Hi

My sub expires on the 27th and I simply cant enjoy this game due to the sluggish performance. Even on low settings it runs poorly on my laptop. I have a I7 @ 2.2 ghz, 8gb ram, ATI 7690 2gb card and it just runs like crap. I have games line Alan Wake, MP3 and BF3 on max settings with AA 8x and they look and play spectacularly.

Ok so I can put up with poor graphics, it is SW after all but it runs bad on low settings too! Tried pvp and it was just awful performance.

I mean the graphics are not exactly amazing so there should not be a problem to run on my laptop. The main problem is in PVP, it becomes so sluggish that I have no idea what is going on.

Custumer service is non existent in this game, I post in tech support and no reponse.

I guess this game was simply not meant for my computer or my laptop was not meant for this game.

OP, try the following thread. Many who have had the same problem, including myself, found this helpful:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=470077&page=4

Edit: I forgot I bookmarked page 4 and am used to just hitting the page 1 link after going there lol. Yes, I'm lazy.

Edited by Skirata_Kal
clarification

There's a thread that had optimizing thingies in it that you could do somewhere. I'm sure someone will link it.

I did what the thread said and it still ran poorly on my laptop. It wasn't a big deal to me because I have a tower I use for gaming, I just wanted to test to see if it was a viable option. I had major issues with the laptop heating up quickly, so that could be an issue as well.

If the laptop is all you have, try the thread I'm sure someone not me will link and try cooling off the laptop with one of those fancy laptop fans.

Best of luck!

the only performance issues I have with this game are when I'm in denova and there are 100+ people in my phase. Thats when the lag spikes and double or triple activation of skills that eat a GCD without going off kick in. Other than that the game is great for me.

Two days ago my GTX8800 graphic card passed away (snif) and I replaced it with a GTX560.

I went from barely ok with all settings down to great with full setting. Almost no lag and to my eyes it looks real good (Except when I wear my L50 salad bowl helmet).

I found a site that give a FPS adjusted benchmark for all cards: my old card was listed at 291 Fps and my new card at 637 Fps; your card is listed at 74 Fps.

http://novabench.com/gpuchart.php?a=1

Given the fact that SWTOR engine weights heavily on the client compared to other recent games, a fast card is needed to 'pick up the slack'. I refused to see this before, but hey, I had 3 year old (great) card!

Note: On Vista I have Aero crap to off

Radeon HD 6870 with dual heat pipe

core i5 2400k (3.1ghz 4core)

2 x 4Gb kingston ram

And all that with good cooling and HDD on sata 600 costed me 3000pln - about €714.

Capped at 60fps at all times, I dunno how much it would really reach if allowed to. Except for carrick - there it stutters a bit while loading all characters about me, but just for a seconds. I guess it has more to do with internet connection, although I have a 16mbit connection.

It runs awesome on my system, It cost me $1187 to put together. Go troll elsewhere.

Just built a $1200 gaming computer, game runs on max easily without lag.

I am not a fanboy, i actually may quit soon due to the same endgame as WoW, which is why i left WoW.

Though, I am trying to voice Strongly my opinions and beliefs of how to improve the game and keep my sub.

I have a $400 system and it runs great. Possibly related to poor internet or memory leaks? TBH, it does run fine on most systems. Have you called tech support.?

lol @ $400 system. You can't even get a dedicated GPU in a $400 system. Especially since Win7 OEM costs around $100 by itself.

Considering I got 90% of my stuff from relatives and my father is a Certified MCSE Tech he gets Win7 for Freebs. You can.

EDIT: I also play it on high, on a $400 system.

Edited by Sindorin

I dropped $1500 on a laptop last year and it runs poorly on low settings for me, Mainly huge fps drops of around 60 or so fps when I use certain abilities, open the character tab, or go into certain areas. It's definitly the engine, as I can run other games with significantly better graphics on max settings with no issues

Hi

SWTOR's game engine isn't brilliant, but it isn’t bad either... i would never recommend playing an MMO on a laptop for a start. but SWTOR does require alot of CPU power and not so much graphics, since there is a unintended cap in the fps anyway due to engine issues around 111fps.... so unless you can upgrade your CPU in your laptop, i wouldn’t really say there was any solution besides playing on a desktop.

All you have to do is look at other games, Games like GW2. Thats technically still in beta, and the game runs so much better then TOR ever has. Yeh true TOR is using higher shaders, But does this make TOR look any better. No....

GW2 has epic shadows and textures, Can handle having mass amounts of players in one area and plays as an MMO should do.

Nothing will change in TOR, and this is because of the choice of engine, The hero engine. Which is a pile of crap.

And this is the reason I cancelled my sub, The game is sub par, 6+months in, and the engine is still failing.

I get high FPS in WZ and Ops. But, when in an area like the fleet when there is many players on screen in one area. The game takes a big dump.

I guess computers must cost a lot more in the US as lol at the 3000USD price.

Bought my wife a Dell Laptop for 450GBP (700USD) last year - only an i5 but it runs SW:ToR fine on High settings.

My tower is an older i5 put together for about 400.00GBP (650.00USD) (just the tower) and is around 2 years old now and runs on maxed out settings. Only occasional lag spikes caused by the server merges as was fine before.

Biggest thing I notice with people that have good spec'd machines but crappy performance is that they tend to often have a million applciations running in the back ground and a whole bunch of clutter on their harddisks which start on startup. MSCONFIG is your friend people - you really don't need "Wallpaper Roataion Program 2010" running in the background checking to make sure it is the latest version!

Considering I got 90% of my stuff from relatives and my father is a Certified MCSE Tech he gets Win7 for Freebs. You can.

EDIT: I also play it on high, on a $400 system.

Um, I think we're talking market value here, not what you personally paid for it. If you got 90% for free and paid $400 for the rest, that would put your system at a market value of $4000. (Though I think the 90% *may* be an exaggeration on your part.)

On topic: I can run the game on high in the new & improved full screen mode. Performance is cut by 30-50% when I use windowed mode at the same resolution and settings. But since I do like reading stuff on the side I use lower settings and windowed mode. Performance on fleet is *always* abysmal, no matter what. I got used to people popping up around me and empty speeders with nametags.

I also noticed that the game eats memory for breakfast, lunch and dinner and hogs what it got and doesn't release it anymore unless closed. If I restart it after a couple of hours, it runs better again. Memory cleaners help a little bit too, but only temporarily, for a short time. Just enough to get through a performance hit during an FP.

Edited by KyaniteD