Pre-order, CE, early access, screwed over

Zombull

Yeah that's right. Screwed over. I eagerly pre-ordered the ridiculously overpriced Collector's Edition and dived with enthusiasm into the early access period, claiming the names I wanted for my characters. Now I'm being forced into server transfers and, ultimately, name changes as a reward.

Thanks, BioWare.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but these whining threads are getting comical.

It happen to many folks - including myself. Yeah, legacy too.

Big deal ! - spend a day, think of a new name and use that. Ultimately, your character looks the same and plays the same. Now you are on a more populated server.

Rather than complain about the change, use it to your advantage. Have some fun with the change.

If you can't do that, then maybe console games are best for you. No name changes there.

Just saying.

Edited by MaulIsGod
spelling

The problem is their entire design is outdated by 5 years, which causes plenty of problems when meeting expectations people (rightfully) have for a 2011 release. Names being linked to the account and/or followed by a hidden code like in SC2, Guild Wars 2 and probably a dozen games I didnt play would solve the problem. Instead, they went with the same server and naming structure Everquest had in 1999, just added the also unique legacy name on top (I couldnt even pick my name of choice when I reached legacy level, doesnt matter now since the "forced" transfer made me change the names anyway).

Thing is, those problems go so deep that they have many, many more relevant problems to tackle. So as much as I hate the name changes and archaic restrictions we have to endure, it really is a secondary issue that will likely never be addressed or changed. Spilt milk and all.

Big deal ! - spend a day, think of a new name and use that. Ultimately, your character looks the same and plays the same. Now you are on a more populated server.

Rather than complain about the change, use it to your advantage. Have some fun with the change.

If you can't do that, then maybe console games are best for you. No name changes there.

Just saying.

It's a bit different for some people. Some players get really attached to their characters' names. As an RPer, I wrote over 150 pages for my Shadow and now her name is different. It just doesn't feel the same anymore. In accordance with that, I don't play with her anymore. Had I lost my Vanguard's name as well, I probably wouldn't be playing anymore. In addition, transfers are now becoming automatic. Better yet, these automatic transfers are going from your server to a server that you don't get to choose. Therefore, if your name is taken on that server, then you're SOL. You can't transfer somewhere else or deny the transfer. You're just boned.

However, did I throw a tantrum? No, I just moved on. I changed my Shadow's name and carried on with business as usual. I wasn't forced to transfer, though. It's much different when the power is taken out of your hands, especially with a service for which you pay. I wouldn't be surprised if this forced transfer thing cost BioWare a good deal of subscriptions and it honestly deserves it.

Yeah that's right. Screwed over. I eagerly pre-ordered the ridiculously overpriced Collector's Edition and dived with enthusiasm into the early access period, claiming the names I wanted for my characters. Now I'm being forced into server transfers and, ultimately, name changes as a reward.

Thanks, BioWare.

You and your sub are welcome.

Thanks, BioWare.

Get over it. Many people had to change names, it's not the end of the world.

In every MMO where I've had to move server, mergers or otherwise, if my name was taken I had to change. People make it sound like this was something special with TOR, it's not.. it's just how it's usually done. Edited by Lundli

Waah.

So, you bought the Collectors Edition and feel that entitles you to special treatment every single day for the rest of eternity? You hate that you had to change your name, but you'd be perfectly happy if your CE status forced someone else to change their name so long as you got to keep yours. It seems, in the end, that all you care about is yourself. In that sense, I actually like that you were forced to realize that you're not the only person in the world and that you don't always get what you want --no matter how much money you throw around-- just because you think you're special.

You know what? I got married and changed my actual name. I didn't cry about it. I didn't feel like I no longer existed. I didn't whine about it on the Internet (in fact: I actually volunteered). If I can change my actual, legal name, you can suck it up and suffer though changing the name of a collection of pixels on your computer screen.

Just saying.

+ 1.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I know it sucks. Happened to me too, but you will get over it. Additionally, there is the prospect of being able to one day reclaim your name so as the man said ... just have fun with it for now.

- Arcada

I wouldn't be surprised if this forced transfer thing cost BioWare a good deal of subscriptions and it honestly deserves it.

thats why im leaving, ive been here since Dec 14th 2011 (even though the 13th was my birthday i still didnt get into early access day one lol) had the few names i wanted on a server i liked the name of. servers died and they opened up transfers, i thought WTH ill just leave a character i still play on my dead server with name holders so i could go back to that server one day if the game picked up again.

now they are forcing my last character off that server and closing it, there is no way in hell now i will ever get the legacy name Darkstar back. why did i pre-order for early access and to get the names i wanted if they were just going to take them away from me anyways?

well this game has left a very sour taste in my mouth, i will never again buy a collectors edition for any MMO.

im alot less worried about GW2 when it comes to the names i want, i decided to try the GW free trail to get some insite into what GW2 might be like (very different games lol) and they give you first and last names at character creation so getting the names i want will be less frustrating.

I didn't get the collectors edition but I can totally understand where the OP is coming from they offered him to reserve names which he and others paid for the privilege and then when they had to do server transfer due to population issues no fault of the OP's they took that exclusive bonus away I think the OP and all the others in the same predicament should be offered something for it as they have lost out on a bonus which they would not have had if they did not pay the £100 plus for the collectors edition so I can truly understand where the OP and the rest of the people are coming from.

Its ok saying get over it but that doesn't change the fact that they bought in to a name reserve deal which EA advertised then they had to take it back due to transfers I think they should give them access to an exclusive mount or armour anything but not giving them anything is basically taking the mick.

I hope they offer you some sort of compensation as they have not reserved your names regardless and they have broken advertising standards by offering something which they have now taken back.

I didn't get the collectors edition but I can totally understand where the OP is coming from they offered him to reserve names which he and others paid for the privilege and then when they had to do server transfer due to population issues no fault of the OP's they took that exclusive bonus away I think the OP and all the others in the same predicament should be offered something for it as they have lost out on a bonus which they would not have had if they did not pay the £100 plus for the collectors edition so I can truly understand where the OP and the rest of the people are coming from.

Its ok saying get over it but that doesn't change the fact that they bought in to a name reserve deal which EA advertised then they had to take it back due to transfers I think they should give them access to an exclusive mount or armour anything but not giving them anything is basically taking the mick.

I hope they offer you some sort of compensation as they have not reserved your names regardless and they have broken advertising standards by offering something which they have now taken back.

What? Names were first come, first serve. There were no reservations and no one paid extra to get into headstart to reserve names. CE buyers didn't get any extra consideration.

Well, to be fair, while you may have pre-ordered to have early access and reserve your names, you didn't have to buy the CE to do that. And, as many have pointed out, regarding name changes, you've joined an exclusive club that includes almost everyone else who also pre-ordered in order to reserve their names.

Edited by MadBlue