Pre-order, CE, early access, screwed over

Zombull

but the point it, this is how people feel, and for whatever eason they feel that way, it would be in biowares best interest to try and appease them, since it is costing them subs.

How do you suggest they do that? Let the empty servers stay up? Force someone else to change name? I'm curious :)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you suggest they do that? Let the empty servers stay up? Force someone else to change name? I'm curious :)

A suggestion at the time was to give name preference based first on account status. Regardless the origin or destination server, if a name conflicted, the first check should have been to see which account was active. If one was inactive, the active account wins the name.

This was suggested by many as BioWare was contemplating and coding the server transfer tool but they obviously didn't implement it.

It wouldn't have solved all the issues, but it's certainly a more fair way to assign names in a game that has more inactive accounts than active ones, possibly by a factor of 10:1. (Analysis: 240+ servers that were once mostly heavy merged into 24 that are now standard or higher... 10:1)

Ok.

Your name is now turdburger.

good thing what others call you isnt important.

Cute, but irrelevant. What I am referring to is the unhealthy or undue attachment given to a name "I've had since the beginning of MMO's, UO". If you are unwilling or unyielding to part with your vaunted egotistical moniker (which if it extends past multiple games, is not RP, but instead Vanity), then you'll eventually get over it. Quit the game for all I care. Forcing the rest of the developer team to cater to your own whims so you can have your special name that "you've had since the beginning of MMO's, UO" penalizes the rest of us by taking attention away from more important things.

it's a name. Grow up.

Edited by Sindorin

LoL at people QQing over such things as a name, stay on the dead server you started out on then.

Can't. BioWare is going to forcibly transfer them (aka "merge") later this summer and shut down all the now dead servers.

Can't. BioWare is going to forcibly transfer them (aka "merge") later this summer and shut down all the now dead servers.

thats a later issue, for now if he still wants to be called Steve the Sith Warrior he can stay on his dead server and complain when they close them.

It's a bit different for some people. Some players get really attached to their characters' names. As an RPer, I wrote over 150 pages for my Shadow and now her name is different. It just doesn't feel the same anymore. In accordance with that, I don't play with her anymore. Had I lost my Vanguard's name as well, I probably wouldn't be playing anymore. In addition, transfers are now becoming automatic. Better yet, these automatic transfers are going from your server to a server that you don't get to choose. Therefore, if your name is taken on that server, then you're SOL. You can't transfer somewhere else or deny the transfer. You're just boned.

However, did I throw a tantrum? No, I just moved on. I changed my Shadow's name and carried on with business as usual. I wasn't forced to transfer, though. It's much different when the power is taken out of your hands, especially with a service for which you pay. I wouldn't be surprised if this forced transfer thing cost BioWare a good deal of subscriptions and it honestly deserves it.

Then you need to sort out your priorities.

A suggestion at the time was to give name preference based first on account status. Regardless the origin or destination server, if a name conflicted, the first check should have been to see which account was active. If one was inactive, the active account wins the name.

This was suggested by many as BioWare was contemplating and coding the server transfer tool but they obviously didn't implement it.

It wouldn't have solved all the issues, but it's certainly a more fair way to assign names in a game that has more inactive accounts than active ones, possibly by a factor of 10:1. (Analysis: 240+ servers that were once mostly heavy merged into 24 that are now standard or higher... 10:1)

I will admit that seems like it should have been a no brainer. Active account...keep name. Not active...lose.

Should have been real easy to do too.

Yeah that's right. Screwed over. I eagerly pre-ordered the ridiculously overpriced Collector's Edition and dived with enthusiasm into the early access period, claiming the names I wanted for my characters. Now I'm being forced into server transfers and, ultimately, name changes as a reward.

Thanks, BioWare.

1 - Don't dive into early access to be able to secure the names "Vader"! "Maul" and "Obi-wan".

- Be creative

2 - Server transfers are needed because of unpopulated servers.

- Get used to it

3 - No one made you buy the "ridiculously overpriced Collector's Edition". There was a simpler preorder-completely-normal-jarjar-lifesize-poster-not-included-version available.

- Live with your own choices

Getting a little tired of sarcasm remarks blaming BW for everything people don't agree with. Yes, they are not the brightest people in the world, but they have actually been trying to fix the most important aspects of the game.

Don't like it. Don't play it. Be happy.

Get over it! Schlitz happens! Deal with it! You get a more populated server! Bend over and take it!

You people just don't understand the RP aspect of the game you are playing at all. It's not about playing the role of a tank or a healzor. It's about playing the role of a Jedi Knight or Imperial Agent that you created. What you call a "simple name change" is really a character altering thing for some players and they have as much a right to complain about that as you have to complain about the problems with PvP and end game raiding. Stop being a bunch of hypocrites who act like your opinion and play styles are the only ones that matter and have some freaking compassion for cripes sakes.

:mad:

Get over it! Schlitz happens! Deal with it! You get a more populated server! Bend over and take it!

You people just don't understand the RP aspect of the game you are playing at all. It's not about playing the role of a tank or a healzor. It's about playing the role of a Jedi Knight or Imperial Agent that you created. What you call a "simple name change" is really a character altering thing for some players and they have as much a right to complain about that as you have to complain about the problems with PvP and end game raiding. Stop being a bunch of hypocrites who act like your opinion and play styles are the only ones that matter and have some freaking compassion for cripes sakes.

If they're role-playing "properly" then the name their character has is what it is because that's what the character's parents named it, not because the character had any particular attachment to it or fondness for it. If they have to change it because of external purposes, they change it and off they go. It's just a name. It doesn't define the character.

This from a role-player.

Was I happy that I had to change some of my characters' names? Nope. Did it destroy my ability to RP those characters? Um... no, that would be pretty weak, wouldn't it?

Perhaps the benefits of "pre-order" and "early access" were intended to be gained during the pre-order and early access portion of the game, and not an ongoing, permanent state of win over everybody else? Edited by DPCummerbund

Anakin was a whiny beotch, and even he didn't complain about getting his name changed.

Character names are a play style?

I have plenty of compassion for people that suffer actual losses, but a name in a video game? lol

If they're role-playing "properly" then the name their character has is what it is because that's what the character's parents named it, not because the character had any particular attachment to it or fondness for it. If they have to change it because of external purposes, they change it and off they go. It's just a name. It doesn't define the character.

This from a role-player.

Was I happy that I had to change some of my characters' names? Nope. Did it destroy my ability to RP those characters? Um... no, that would be pretty weak, wouldn't it?

I'm just saying try to see it from his point of view and stop telling him that his point of view is stupid or wrong. Sure changing your name might be all fine and dandy for you. I found ways to make my name changes work for me (plus I had the luxury of having saved my main name on all servers on the first day of head start). For him it is not. For him, his name was a defining point of his character and concept. Stop telling him to just get over it and move on.

:cool:

I'm just saying try to see it from his point of view and stop telling him that his point of view is stupid or wrong. Sure changing your name might be all fine and dandy for you. I found ways to make my name changes work for me (plus I had the luxury of having saved my main name on all servers on the first day of head start). For him it is not. For him, his name was a defining point of his character and concept. Stop telling him to just get over it and move on.

What would his other choice be? Angst over the "small stuff" until it eats him up inside or he quits a game that he otherwise enjoys?

Oh, look, I spilled milk. Time to jump out the window and splatter myself on the pavement 40 stories down!

That isn't quite true...

Pre-ordering for early access was advertised/marketed as "Start early, and get the names you want!" (Some paraphrasing, but the big tag line over the pre-order picture did say early access would grant you names.)

So, there will be some who pre-ordered for early access to get their names, under the idea that the names were their privilege for pre-ordering for early access.

If that true then, people who started early and had there name longer then someone who didn't, deserve a refund

What would his other choice be? Angst over the "small stuff" until it eats him up inside or he quits a game that he otherwise enjoys?

Oh, look, I spilled milk. Time to jump out the window and splatter myself on the pavement 40 stories down!

It doesn't matter what his choice is. It's your choice that matters right now. It's your choice to either be a nice guy who shows a little respect and compassion for your fellow player or to be a total butt screw who just makes fun of him for having a problem with an aspect of the game that you could care less about. The choice to say, "I'm sorry for your loss and I hope you find a way to soldier on." or say, "Your just being a QQ crybaby. It's just a name. Get over it." I quote a Disney classic, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Do you see where I am coming from?

Edited by Blackavaar

It doesn't matter what his choice is. It's your choice that matters right now. It's your choice to either be a nice guy who shows a little respect and compassion for your fellow player or to be a total butt screw who just makes fun of him for having a problem with an aspect of the game that you could care less about. The choice to say, "I'm sorry for your loss and I hope you find a way to soldier on." or say, "Your just being a QQ crybaby. It's just a name. Get over it." I quote a Disney classic, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Do you see where I am coming from?

I agree with you to a point. The situation sucks. There are many people here who have offered their condolences.

The problem is that this is posted on the general forums. By posting a thread on the subject, it is open to debate. Everybody will have a differing point of view. I'm not saying the OP is wrong. However, there are many people who have offered ways to get around the naming problem. Is their opinion, which they are fully entitled to, wrong simply because they did not agree with the OP? And while harsh, those that responded more strongly to the OP's comments are entitled to theirs as well. At the end of the day...it is their opinion.

I'm not taking sides, but the easiest way to avoid these kinds of responses is simply not to post at all. This is a topic that has been posted ... and reposted...over and over

The real moral of the story is to not pick obvious names, and choose names that are specifically made up and are not colloquial to other names that have significance in RL. For example leet, or pwnzor, or Death, etc; are obvious ones that are almost always going to be taken. Adding special characters like an apostrophe in the middle of a name can often times make the difference.

In the end, if you have a unique name it is almost always never taken.

Yeah, my friend had a name he lost, and everyone else in the guild was, really, that was taken? No matter how unique a name is, you can't be certain.

BioWare should compensate players for every name they lost since it was the poor planning on their part that caused this mess. Much lower budget MMOs then this don't make names totally unique anyhow, maybe if they spent a bit less time copying WoW and more time looking at new features other MMOs since WoW had brought to the table they could have avoided this, maybe even not had to close the vast majority of their servers.

I agree with you to a point. The situation sucks. There are many people here who have offered their condolences.

The problem is that this is posted on the general forums. By posting a thread on the subject, it is open to debate. Everybody will have a differing point of view. I'm not saying the OP is wrong. However, there are many people who have offered ways to get around the naming problem. Is their opinion, which they are fully entitled to, wrong simply because they did not agree with the OP? And while harsh, those that responded more strongly to the OP's comments are entitled to theirs as well. At the end of the day...it is their opinion.

I'm not taking sides, but the easiest way to avoid these kinds of responses is simply not to post at all. This is a topic that has been posted ... and reposted...over and over

Oh, I agree. Those who are posting options for him to consider are doing good. It's the ones who are posting stuff like, "QQ moar!" and "Your just crazy!" (purposeful misspellings there) that make me sick. And those aren't opinions. Those are just mean people being mean because it's the internets. :rolleyes:

It's a bit different for some people. Some players get really attached to their characters' names. As an RPer, I wrote over 150 pages for my Shadow and now her name is different. It just doesn't feel the same anymore. In accordance with that, I don't play with her anymore. Had I lost my Vanguard's name as well, I probably wouldn't be playing anymore. In addition, transfers are now becoming automatic. Better yet, these automatic transfers are going from your server to a server that you don't get to choose. Therefore, if your name is taken on that server, then you're SOL. You can't transfer somewhere else or deny the transfer. You're just boned.

However, did I throw a tantrum? No, I just moved on. I changed my Shadow's name and carried on with business as usual. I wasn't forced to transfer, though. It's much different when the power is taken out of your hands, especially with a service for which you pay. I wouldn't be surprised if this forced transfer thing cost BioWare a good deal of subscriptions and it honestly deserves it.

So people have to change the names of their characters or have to play on servers with more people on them. Big Deal yeah I liked the names I had but did I whine or complain no. I chose a new name and continued on. Also I like low pop servers until it gets to the point where your the only person on every planet you go to and cant do any of the Heroics or Flashpoints no matter what. Everything that going on is not a game breaker for me in anyway all MMO's go through this in the first year after launch.