Stop making life hard for the tank PuGs

Reevax

I am not saying I am a great tank but I am not terrible

1. Don't knock mobs away from the tank!!! Even if I do have threat on them all it knocks them away from my AoE skills

2. Don't CC pull stuff unless you have already communicated this with everyone

3. Don't jump into a pack of mobs AOE then wonder why you died

4. LOS means Line of Sight, don't stand in the middle of the doorway getting hit when the tank tries to LOS pull a pack of MOBS.

5. Don't be in a form that generates threat if you are not the tank!!!!!!

6. Don't taunt the boss off the tank!!!!!

7. Give the tank a second to get threat, you don't need to go balls to the wall right off the bat.

You wonder why there is a shortage of tanks, after 40ish levels of dealing with just the worst of every type of player it tends to wear you out.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't had a lot of issues other than some one pulling the next pack. When this happens I usually let them get beat on a little then I jump in and taunt to keep them a live. In other games I would just let them die but for some reason I seemed to play nicer here even on my evil guys.

I think people just need to slow down and learn patience. Everyone is in such a big hurry that they don't even follow the basics of grouping.

SPACEBAR SPACEBAR SPACEBAR SPACEBAR SPACEBAR SPACEBAR SPACEBAR run in! balls to the wall!

Tank and healer are still standing there "huh?" lol

An extra 5 mins of patience saves thousands of credits in repair bills and stops the flashpoint dragging out for another 20 mins or so.

Actually a great thread and a great post....I am not complaining but have some more comments.

I have a couple of different chars I love to GF with, but some seem to think they can do what they want,-know the FP, know the fight, etc. If you are new (and I was at some point also) keep in mind some more PUG GF tips so you will not get ignored and/or shunned because of simple tactics that should be followed...

Group - please follow the tank- let them agro first so they can at least control the fight. We have to hit to build our threat-the big aoe pulls it from us, not good when we are on cooldown from taunts.

If you want to launch the big aoe-you can, please pop your threat cooldown right after-it helps the tank to keep agro, no one wants to see how much damage you can do in one "pop". We just want to clear this pull (and we want our coms/shiney)

DPS - you don't have to burn down the tanks mob- get the adds-trust me the tank will be ok on the gold-kill the white/misc first-I know they will be dead before the gold-trust me-we are terrible dps

Really? Is it a race to pop the barrel first? That is agro-let the tank do it- it's what we do...

Its always nice to heal before a pull-I know the healer can do the 5k quick heal, but some day he is going be out of force-energy and can not cast that crit heal on you because you went in a 50% health on the pull.

Just because we cc, does not mean our group is weak...tactics-great to learn for ops

Finally (I hope this is not a rant) know your roll, know your abilities and specs. There has been way to many times that people think, I will just change my form and become a DPS - Tank - heal and can do a GF hardmode FP.

finally (rant done)...

CHANGING FORM DOES NOT WORK-please-please- do what you do best, do not try and fill another role unless you respec and have the gear to do so...

I love the GF-but I hate when I am destined to fail...

Learn to hold aggro and guard the best dps. Im not going to run a HM FP in an hour when it should only take 30 min..

I hold threat just fine but making up for wave after wave of fail DPS tends to make one tired. I am to the point I dont even want to tank pugs anymore.

Learn to hold aggro and guard the best dps. Im not going to run a HM FP in an hour when it should only take 30 min..

Rushing like I said before lol. If you are not willing to stick it out with random people of varying gear levels then LFG might not be for you.

My main is rakata/blackhole geared and I have been placed into undergeared groups just like everyone else. If I hold back on the DPS and give them a chance it works out fine most of the time. Takes a bit longer but everyone wins in the end and I get my comms :p

My problems as tank are mainly aggro issues. Is really annoying when you tries to hold aggro and a DPS keeps stealing it.

Besides that I have no other issues, probably because I'm PT tank and I can do both ranged and melee tanking.

@Op

your problems saved in the tank mmo archives. the easiest solution to avoid crap dps like our 30 min dps champ is not to que. all the gear you will need to start sm ev/kp can be obtained thru dailies and gtn.

edit- every time a dps in my raid would use a knock back i would vanish (we use 1 tank) and tell them over vent brb gathering up the knocked back mobs. hope this helps.

Edited by vojinsa

DPS - you don't have to burn down the tanks mob- get the adds-trust me the tank will be ok on the gold-kill the white/misc first-I know they will be dead before the gold-trust me-we are terrible dps

THIS. **** THIS. the lack of thought dps seem to put into a fight makes me afraid to go driving, knowing that theyre out there.

TBH, tanking is so easy in this game that I actually look forward to players doing random stuff in PUGs to spice things up and really push my survivability.

Anyway, keep in mind tanks set the pace of a run, so anyone tanking should be communicating any concerns they have, such as the ones the OP posted.

PS - I agree with an earlier comment to guard the DPS and not the healer. It is very unlikely healers would pull aggro from any decent tank.

Remember, DPS are expendable, tanks are not. If some DPS player pulls before you, blames you for not keeping aggro or you don't like his name, just offer to kick him. Most groups will agree. It takes 1 second to find a replacement for a DPS and half an hour for a tank :)

THIS. **** THIS. the lack of thought dps seem to put into a fight makes me afraid to go driving, knowing that theyre out there.

And making babies!

My biggest gripe is when the DPS pick the biggest meanest looking Champ or elite and go to town on it first instead of killing the weaks, normals and strongs first. On content you don't outgear/level this is a key tactic. Those little turds put out more damage then they can take and save the heals a lot of healing and even let them DPS some.

And if you still out gear the content and can manage the damage the lesser mobs are putting out it creates a strain on the tank and heals because the DPS is lazy. As a tank I have to chase the things around like a mad man trying to tap them all while some how holding agro on the big nasty the DPS is going balls to the wall on. If I don't run around and tap those mobs they will pile on the healer who has enough to do with the damage big nasty is putting out. And once again that means I am having to burn my resources fast getting agro on so many things and am taking extra damage which is using more healer resources which can lead to extended down time after the fight as we vent heat, recharge eng or force. Also I am having to work harder because the DPS is being scrub.

If your DPS and don't kill the weakest mobs in a pack first your a scrub/lazy, same thing in my mind. I don't care how good your gear is I will let you know you are being lazy in a FP with pugs who do this and then try to kick em after fair warnings. Kick won't pass, I will leave and find something else to do for a bit. Its a group and I refuse to carry lazy people and let them burden me. As a tank I have certain tasks and responsibilities in the group and I will do them, I expect the rest of the team to do so as well.

PS - I agree with an earlier comment to guard the DPS and not the healer. It is very unlikely healers would pull aggro from any decent tank.

Guarding a healer is a very common mistake. If you hit some mob once, it is unlikely to go after a healer even without guard. If you haven't hit the mob, it will attack a healer no matter the guard, because it has zero aggro from tank. Also guard does not redirect damage in PvE, contrary to popular belief :)

Edited by EternalChild

Rushing like I said before lol. If you are not willing to stick it out with random people of varying gear levels then LFG might not be for you.

My main is rakata/blackhole geared and I have been placed into undergeared groups just like everyone else. If I hold back on the DPS and give them a chance it works out fine most of the time. Takes a bit longer but everyone wins in the end and I get my comms :p

I rush the tank, yes. I wont jump in before the tank if there is a gold in the pull though. Im in full campaign, I PuG with the GF for BH comms to BiS my armor and help out the under geared. I show them how to skip trash and bosses. Ill also show them tricks/strats for pulls.

Oh and i dps down the trash and silvers 1st btw. I am very strategic and methodical when i dps.

There are a lot of tanks that should just be dps though :p

Just some reality checks for a few people.. I am also a tank..

First.. This is not WOW.. Tanks don't generate threat like they do in WOW..

Second.. We do not have a threat meter.. If you take aggro then dump it.. Everyone should have a threat dumping ability.. Tanks losing aggro isn't always the tanks fault.. Sometimes when you die, it isn't the healers fault.. Playing DPS takes skill too..

If you queue as dps, then make sure you play as dps.. Change your stance, bury your taunts, or better yet change specs..

I am a shadow tank and I do knock backs on my own.. I can tank from a distance and take less damage.. I am not a Pally tank, don't expect me to act like one..

Everthing the OP stated were issues in WOW as well.. I know.. I was a Pally tank in that game..

Edited by MajikMyst

As a tank I have to chase the things around like a mad man trying to tap them all while some how holding agro on the big nasty the DPS is going balls to the wall on. If I don't run around and tap those mobs they will pile on the healer who has enough to do with the damage big nasty is putting out.

You should not do it. You risk losing aggro on elites/boss this way. Just make sure to use your aoe attack to hit most of normal/strong mobs to prevent them focusing on healer and switch to elites. Dps should be able to handle aggro from normal/strong mobs. If they can't, kick them.

I rush the tank, yes. I wont jump in before the tank if there is a gold in the pull though. Im in full campaign, I PuG with the GF for BH comms to BiS my armor and help out the under geared. I show them how to skip trash and bosses. Ill also show them tricks/strats for pulls.

Oh and i dps down the trash and silvers 1st btw. I am very strategic and methodical when i dps.

There are a lot of tanks that should just be dps though :p

Fair enough :)

When I play my healer I don't have a problem with dps getting agro. What I'm finding is that "tanks" are not very good tanks at all. I get players saying to me "I should be fine I am in full rakata". Then you find out they never took shield spec and are wearing rakata dps gear. Then they blame the healer when they are getting smashed.

I am not saying I am a great tank but I am not terrible

1. Don't knock mobs away from the tank!!! Even if I do have threat on them all it knocks them away from my AoE skills

2. Don't CC pull stuff unless you have already communicated this with everyone

3. Don't jump into a pack of mobs AOE then wonder why you died

4. LOS means Line of Sight, don't stand in the middle of the doorway getting hit when the tank tries to LOS pull a pack of MOBS.

5. Don't be in a form that generates threat if you are not the tank!!!!!!

6. Don't taunt the boss off the tank!!!!!

7. Give the tank a second to get threat, you don't need to go balls to the wall right off the bat.

You wonder why there is a shortage of tanks, after 40ish levels of dealing with just the worst of every type of player it tends to wear you out.

I heartily endorse this. And to the 30-second wonder, I don't care how good your DPS is, if you are a bad player expect a vote-kick from me, you can go solo your own instance if you are so uber.

When I play my healer I don't have a problem with dps getting agro. What I'm finding is that "tanks" are not very good tanks at all. I get players saying to me "I should be fine I am in full rakata". Then you find out they never took shield spec and are wearing rakata dps gear. Then they blame the healer when they are getting smashed.

lol, i get tank and healer toons,

when i use LFG tool,

saw any player hp lower then 17k, i quit,

when any player cause wipe, i quit,

i dont care they wear what gear,

just read their action, then u should know when to quit,

BTW i got good PUG couple times, they all wear rakatas, and know what to do,

otherwise, just ignore them, then quit.

Remember, DPS are expendable, tanks are not. If some DPS player pulls before you, blames you for not keeping aggro or you don't like his name, just offer to kick him. Most groups will agree. It takes 1 second to find a replacement for a DPS and half an hour for a tank :)

HM FPs may do this,

but HM EC is not,

good dps is rare too,

but science title is PUGs,

i guess u wont do EC with PUGs,

cause they r usually sux.

I would like to add a few things:

If you do not want to DPS, do not queue for DPS. Many a time I have grouped up as a tank (When I'm a tank, I only ever check the "tank" box), and another person, who has checked both the tank and DPS boxes, thinks that he is the tank without even checking. While sometimes (rarely) they're nice about it when I tell them that I am, in fact, the tank (check the shield on my face, dude), there are so many times when the person stays in tank spec and proceeds to split the aggro between us the whole FP. Normally I just switch out of tank stance and let them do their thing to make it easier on the healer, but I'm specced for tanking, so my DPS is not the greatest.

Another (very random) point: Healers can CC. This was an actual conversation I had in an FP. (keep in mind, we only had one CC, whirlwind)

Me: "Can I get a CC on the marked mob?"

Silence....

Me: "Um...healer? You're the only CC."

Healer: "I know. Healers aren't in charge of CC. That's not my job. I heal."

I didn't know how to respond.

Me: ".....There's only one other mob. You're not going to have aggro for more than half a second."

Healer: "I know. That's just not my job. I heal."

It went on like this for like five minutes, till I just pulled both mobs, and two DPS died because the healer couldn't keep up with "his job" of healing with us fighting two champions. I know this is a very rare case, but it annoyed me so much that I had to share.