Tanking in greens

MbaxterBeau

Also how about these -

if you are in group finder then do not keep clicking leave because you are busy. Just dont join finder.

If you know mom is gonna call you for dinner etc, do not join finder.

If you are specced dps with some tanking abilities do not select tank in finder, then taunt stuff you cant handle, qq at healer, then quit

healers, your main target is the tank, do not refuse to heal it because you only heal your levelling buddy/friend etc

dps, dont leap into bulwark before the tank is even in the same room with a "LETS GOOO!!!!!", the group will laugh at you and more than likely kick you

there will be more i'm sure

I agree so intensely much with all of these, being a tank. I would just like to add another REALLY annoying thing ppl do.

"PRESS SPACE"

"SPACE PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

"SPAM THAT SPACE BUTTON FFS *** ARE YOU DOING?!?!?!"

"SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEE"

and so on and so forth.... here is my aggresive response, SHUT THE F UP YOU ANNOYING FORMER WOW PLAYERS AND FIND A FRICKIN GROUP OF 3 OF YOUR NO-LIFE FRIENDS TO DO HARDMODES WITH, IF I WANNA WATCH THE DAMN STORY I gosh darn WELL WILL SO SHUT YOUR FRICKIN MOUTH ALREADY WITH SPACE.

Oh and to overgeared dps constantly pulling I Would like to encourage all tanks to just let them die from now on, don't even move a muscle, let yourself wipe if needed, but please help us teach lame *** dps classes that should have tank specced themselves, that they are in fact not the tank.

EDIT: And this has nothing to do with anything really but... I'm really tired of meeting nothing but red sabered jedi's with their faces filled with corruption... honestly why don't you just roll sith if your a Darth Maul wannabe anyway? Storylines are cooler and more suitable for you anyways.

Edited by Blackweb

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not experienced this one yet.

However, I was in the Battle of Ilum the other day as DPS and the tank starts a fight with 3 mini-bosses blocking a ramp and just as the rest of us engage, he runs off and says "run" and while we stay and try to fight because the Slinger didn't see the message the tank says "Fine, enjoy the fight then." and stays back.

Another night I was in a group where some folks could even use the stuff the mini-bosses give up and the tank (who had over 23k health mind you) declared that the bonus bosses were not worth it and refused to do them.

So, I think there should be a bonus boss option to check in the group finder.

That and a check box for a spacebar option. People who are in a rush to make short order of flashpoints can get pretty pissed when someone wants to play through the quest dialogues. I've been kicked for this. :(

Haha i admit i havn't used the group finder that much way less then i expected becuse i did look forward to it just a couple of things that scares me.

New players that refuses to adapt or even "veteran" players that think they are in godmode.

Players that refuses to follow tactics

Oh and undergeared people that thinks they are gonna get carried trough and get all the candy.

The few times i used it for i have been lucky getting people around my own gear level but i can imagine for people that uses it multiplie times/day gets to play with the gimps. I bailed once when i wanted to do Lost Island and i ended up in a group that none had above 14k HP and everyone was melee except me that's just a deathwish.

When DPS refuse to listen after the 3 time of telling them; I vote kick them and place them on ignore. If the group doesn’t want to kick them I leave. I refuse to deal with stupid people. If you follow kill orders, don’t attack a CC mob or pull will get a long great.

You notice in Cad that the mara/sent just randomly attack targets just like 90% of the mara/sent player do? That is why 95% of my ignore is mara/sent.

My main is an overgeared DPS, so I'm getting a kick out of these replies.

I warn my tank and healer as soon as the FP starts that "I'm going to pull aggro - my dps is too high to do much about it. Drop your shield on me and it'll reduce my threat somewhat, but be prepared to heal me a bit."

Any time I DPS on a mob that's been taunted, AS SOON AS THE TAUNT ENDS i have aggro from that guy. Period. This is even if I do nothing but spam basic attack over and over, and reduce frequency to only attacking once every three seconds.

My solution, besides warning the party about it, is that I don't jump th biggest thing. I always kill the little guys around the edge first. If I'm going to pull aggro, I'll aggro something that dies in three hits so that it only gets one or two shots on me.. I use NO aoe attacks unless I can wipe all of what I hit with the AoE within 5 seconds.

You can complain all you want about overgeared DPS .. but when your basic attack hits for over 1000 damage (and mine does), short of just standing around and NOT dpsing, there's not a lot you can do to not draw aggro.

I warn my tank and healer as soon as the FP starts that "I'm going to pull aggro - my dps is too high to do much about it. Drop your shield on me and it'll reduce my threat somewhat, but be prepared to heal me a bit."

Any time I DPS on a mob that's been taunted, AS SOON AS THE TAUNT ENDS i have aggro from that guy. Period. This is even if I do nothing but spam basic attack over and over, and reduce frequency to only attacking once every three seconds.

My solution, besides warning the party about it, is that I don't jump th biggest thing. I always kill the little guys around the edge first. If I'm going to pull aggro, I'll aggro something that dies in three hits so that it only gets one or two shots on me.. I use NO aoe attacks unless I can wipe all of what I hit with the AoE within 5 seconds.

You can complain all you want about overgeared DPS .. but when your basic attack hits for over 1000 damage (and mine does), short of just standing around and NOT dpsing, there's not a lot you can do to not draw aggro.

I have to admit I'm generally surprised by how low a performance you can expect when you get a sentinel in your party... they are melee dps yet refuse to wait until the tank pulls, they don't even interrupt cuz they are too busy trying to top their non-existant dps meter and they generally have a "me me me" provocative attitude. Just today I was in a party with a raid geared sentinel, yes he had sick dam yet somehow he seemed to be good at his role, he interrupted, waited until I pulled, hardly even got aggro once during an entire hard mode.

Nah it has nothing to do with you being so imba that you can't help getting aggro, it has something to do with you being arrogant and not caring about any other pace but your own.

Sorry but your explanation to me, just seems like a sugarcoated way of saying. "Screw you guys I'm awesome and I'll do what I want".

I wouldn't be surprised in general if sentinels ended up being the most hated stereotype attitudewise.

It just seems to me, that if your role in a group is the easiest one (all you rly have to do is kick once in a while) besides spamming dps buttons. Perhaps you should consider showing a little more respect to the ppl who is actually doing the hard parts, like tanking and healing.

And don't... don't even start with the "dpsing is hard" in any way cuz we both know that's a waste of words.

Edited by Blackweb

on boss fights the tank can rotate their taunt so you can go SS15 til your kb breaks. thats 18 secs the boss will be facing the tank. so if you give him/her time within that period (outside a boss dropping threat) everything should be fine.

Edited by vojinsa

You notice in Cad that the mara/sent just randomly attack targets just like 90% of the mara/sent player do? That is why 95% of my ignore is mara/sent.

I wouldn't be surprised in general if sentinels ended up being the most hated stereotype attitudewise.

the new huntards of SWTOR?

This thread is dripping with QQ. Not everyone plays like you, and it is wrong to expect them to. Forrest Gump said it right. The Group Finder is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get. Sometimes you will run across players that match your playstyle; often times you won't. How dare you dictate how someone else SHOULD play because you think it's "right"?

If you want to dictate the play of the run, group with guildies. Not enough guildies on to make the run? Use group finder and don't complain.

Edited by Tmanarl

I have to admit I'm generally surprised by how low a performance you can expect when you get a sentinel in your party... they are melee dps yet refuse to wait until the tank pulls, they don't even interrupt cuz they are too busy trying to top their non-existant dps meter and they generally have a "me me me" provocative attitude. Just today I was in a party with a raid geared sentinel, yes he had sick dam yet somehow he seemed to be good at his role, he interrupted, waited until I pulled, hardly even got aggro once during an entire hard mode.

Nah it has nothing to do with you being so imba that you can't help getting aggro, it has something to do with you being arrogant and not caring about any other pace but your own.

Sorry but your explanation to me, just seems like a sugarcoated way of saying. "Screw you guys I'm awesome and I'll do what I want".

It just seems to me, that if your role in a group is the easiest one (all you rly have to do is kick once in a while) besides spamming dps buttons. Perhaps you should consider showing a little more respect to the ppl who is actually doing the hard parts, like tanking and healing.

And don't... don't even start with the "dpsing is hard" in any way cuz we both know that's a waste of words.

Did i at any point say I don't wait for the tank?

I usually even stand still for 3-4 seconds after the fight starts before I jump in.

The problem is, quite honestly, that tanks can't generate enough threat to keep aggro off of geared DPS. Period. Our guild's gunslingers have the same problem. If you outgear your tank, you're going to rip threat.

Furthermore, I do know what an interrupt is. I know what all *five* of my stun-causing skills (which interrupt by default) are as a sent, thanks. Of course, I don't use one very often because it's an AoE.

And attack pace has nothing to do with it. Like I said. Even if I back off to one attack every *other* GCD, and *only* use a basic attack, I STILL PULL if the tank isn't geared better than me - and even then, sometimes if they are. The way the threat tables work, combined with my gear, means that I draw aggro unless the tank is doing at least 51% of my damage. (100% threat buff for a tank for their damage if in tank stance). If there's a tank coming in that only hits 450 avg on their mainhand damage, which isn't unheard of for a new 50 tank, I. Will. Pull. Especially if I'm actually using a rotation and not spamming basic attack.

Please read *all* of what I said before you jump down my throat about me being arrogant.

Furthermore, I have a raid-geared tank (full columi, just got to 50 two weeks ago) and healer (full aug rakata) to go along with my DPS, so take that remark about "show some respect" and apply it to yourself. I know exactly what all three class roles deal with, and know how hard tanking and healing is. The fact is, if you're a healer, and you see a DPS with 5-6k HP more than your tank in your flashpoint, you need to know that that DPS is going to draw aggro unless they stand around for half the mob fights, and adjust heals accordingly.

This thread is dripping with QQ. Not everyone plays like you, and it is wrong to expect them to. Forrest Gump said it right. The Group Finder is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get. Sometimes you will run across players that match your playstyle; often times you won't. How dare you dictate how someone else SHOULD play because you think it's "right"?

If you want to dictate the play of the run, group with guildies. Not enough guildies on to make the run? Use group finder and don't complain.

I’m sorry that you think people expecting other player to play as group when grouping is too much to ask. If you can’t play as group then you shouldn’t group. Expecting DPS to let the tank pull and follow kill order is what is expect as dps. Just like holding agro is what a tank is expected to do. I should have to rush in and waste my energy pool to get agro because you think I’m pulling too slow.

Yes LFG is like a box chocolates you never know what you’re going to get. Just like a box chocolates I spit out the ones I don’t like and get a different one.

I enjoy grouping with people like SturmUndSterne people that understand how to play.

Edited by Pytviper

Wasted time to you. Sometimes there are folks who could use it.

If one crystal is worthwhile to you, then that's just sad and pathetic. I've been gearing up for a while now and spending my tionese comms/crystals like mad to gear my companions, and at the end I have a handful of tionese comms, yet over 300 crystals. So yes, 1 crystal IS in fact worthless because you'll NEVER EVER USE IT because the game floods you with crystals but no comms. And a far as gear goes, it's still not worth it, even when I wasn't geared I opted to avoid those bosses because they take too much time and effort for a piece of crap drop you'll either not get, not get for your class, or will be worthless in about 3 days when you get a real drop to replace it, or even enough BH comms to just outright buy something far and away superior.

If one crystal is worthwhile to you, then that's just sad and pathetic. I've been gearing up for a while now and spending my tionese comms/crystals like mad to gear my companions, and at the end I have a handful of tionese comms, yet over 300 crystals. So yes, 1 crystal IS in fact worthless because you'll NEVER EVER USE IT because the game floods you with crystals but no comms. And a far as gear goes, it's still not worth it, even when I wasn't geared I opted to avoid those bosses because they take too much time and effort for a piece of crap drop you'll either not get, not get for your class, or will be worthless in about 3 days when you get a real drop to replace it, or even enough BH comms to just outright buy something far and away superior.

For what it's worth, the last few times I've killed a bonus boss it's dropped either a tionese or an exotech item, 3 crystals, and a bio alloy. Some of them even dropped a token, if I remember right. All of the loot drops in hardmodes got bumped up slightly since 1.2.

see, i don't like these types of posts. it is neither sad, nor pathetic. it is just different fromt he way you play. in these games, i am known as what many call a loot hore (w). for whatever reason, i just can't let thos 3 creds go, even though i have plenty of cash. when my inventory fills, i will search for an item that is cheaper than the one that i am trying to pick up, and i will still regret having to delete that one.

one of the reasons i have yet to do the hm's is that i am one of those players that likes to kill everything, and see everything. i like to check every single piece of loot that i can.

again, it is simply a defferent way of playing.

edit: any guilds on the harbinger that don't mind this type of play, please let me know

Edited by testszag

Wow. After reading some of the responses here, I hope many of you never party with me when I'm the tank. When I am the tank, I kill everything. I want the loot, xp, drops, everything. And if folks do not like that, they can always find another tank.

Those Legacy unlocks are expensive. I need the credits.

I am a tank in all Rakata, BH, Campaign, etc. and allow the group to flow how they feel. If they want to do bonus bosses or watch cut scenes, more power to them. When I do the daily comm one, I usually have a 40 something in the group and I suggest we do the bonuses to help them level. I can do this because I plot out my time to play.

Please tanks do not que up in group finder for a hard mode if you are wearing greens. It will not work!!!

This is what LFG tool brings with. It should have though a certain lvl required for gear or so but thats not the case here, and it might take some time.

if some of you people spent half as much time in the game as you did complaining about overgeared people then you wouldn't need the bonus bosses either.

The fact is I queue up to get my 5 BH comms. you tanks and healers are just filler. my companion can heal better than most of the people I queue with but I can't queue my companion unfortunately. I usually tank most of the HM bosses on my sage because the queued tanks don't hold aggro. Healers usually have an easier time healing me than the tanks anyway.

But that's what you get with random groups. When I play my healer I like the challenge of healing "tanks" it makes otherwise pathetically easy HM's interesting.

At least LI HM offers somewhat of a challenge, but it is not worth it with a pug.

I'm becoming an LFG addict since 1.3 launch and I must say, it's really a test of adjustments, adjustments, teamwork and adjustments. few tips (Others may have mentioned it already) :

-- You only ask to spacebar ONCE. If they want to re-live the FP scenes then please let them and might as well enjoy it yourself instead of complaining. Which comes down to "If you don't have that time, don't freaking queue for GF".

-- Adjust to your teammates. You may play FPs/Ops with the same players at some time, but most of the time all of you are total strangers to each other. If someone wants to do something different than you want to do, let the rest of the team decide. And respect it.

-- Help noobs and DON'T EVER complain - as one of the posts said, each time that you queue it's a crap shot. Why tell them to L2P if you can actually teach them?

LFG queueing is a good way to make new friends. Don't use them to harass someone.

The funny thing about this thread is that tanks are the least gear-dependent class in the game. If they don't die from 1 hit, they should be fine, as long as they know what they are doing. You should never steal aggro even from a tank in greens as long as you are attacking his target and he uses all his high-aggro skills. Giving a tank some time (like 5 seconds) to build an aggro on bosses and not starting with high-damage attacks also helps. Edited by EternalChild

The funny thing about this thread is that tanks are the least gear-dependent class in the game. If they don't die from 1 hit, they should be fine, as long as they know what they are doing. You should never steal aggro even from a tank in greens as long as you are attacking his target and he uses all his high-aggro skills. Giving a tank some time (like 5 seconds) to build an aggro on bosses and not starting with high-damage attacks also helps.

And do you think the average PuG DPS is so kind to hold back on his "high-aggro skills"? :p

Most sentinel / guardian DPS can't even stop leaping to the other side of the room to pull random **** and get killed in the process with the excuse "I was killing the weaker mobs".