A Guide to Group Finder Part 2

AlysonBridge

Overall - I like the LFG feature. For nailing a quick FP HM for daily 5 BH Comm's it's great. I've had pretty good success, but seen several "Tools" in the groups that DC or just bail out for whatever reason. (MMO life goes on).

Tier 1 / Tier 2 - Gotta say that was not so smart to have them share the same Daily. The Tier 2 is a PAIN to complete and most NOOB's try to run that one anyways. They should be SEPARATED and maybe the Tier 2 gets a little more BH Comms outta the deal? It's hard for a reason like EC vs. EV.

GEAR CHECK - I think Dulfy called this out the first day of PTS even. WHY oh WHY would you let someone in Tionese run Tier 2 FP in LFG? Do a quick STAT check and see if they are over a set number on a couple items or an average or something so people are not wasting time kicking people out of Tier 2 (if it becomes better BH Comm's).

TELEPORT - Yeah - I think you know already and have it coming "soon". Used my BH Transport with CRAPPY cool down timer and POOF I'm off to an FP HM. (Another issue that BW needs to fix is that timer is BS)

OPS - I think it's pretty solid that many people are having issues and getting shafted on BH Comms. Me - I'm screwed to start with since I run with my guild in EV HM to help gear out our teams. So I never see my BH Comm's for this. Any way AROUND this so I can get at least something out of my ONCE a WEEK only run? Maybe - ADD BH Comm's to the end if NOT in LFG Mode? I understand the concept, but if you are locked out of that one time a week run then having a LFG for those running scheduled OPS is a BH missed Opportunity. I'll gladly run in LFG if my guild flakes out, but that's uncommon.

DAILY HEROIC - Totally agree with that idea someone mentioned. If I could QUE for those all at once for BH Comm's I'd be all over that. Right now, I'm sick of grinding dailies and won't set foot on several planets w/o something beyond daily comm's.

Again - Nice to see this feature and it's pretty much worked for me, but some minor things need to be corrected. Some technical issues and some BW decisions that need to be corrected.

Maybe put Lost Island up w/ the T1 Flashpoints instead of regular ones. I found it abit to challenging as a fresh 50 healer. I didn't have the gear for it and I was always placed in there as my 1st queue in the random daily. Have not yet completed it.

I apologize if someone posted this already. I do use the Group Finder Daily.

But something it REALLY NEEDS is a louder sound effect/music selection when a group is found similar to the notification when a PvP match is avialable.

A lot of players could be alt-tabbed on a different window while waiting. Or doing a few real world items while waiting. Even with the SWTOR window right on my monitor the sound effect is so low I have to be looking right at the screen to notice it! Also if a player is in area like the fleet with a lot of sound effects they may miss it. Usually there is at least 1 group member that doesn't respond and it is probably due to that reason.

This would be an important fix as sometimes it takes awhile to match a group especially when choosing custom FP, etc.

Please look into this Bioware!

Thank you.

Well in a way that would be a nice idea. However as the way it is now if you alt-tab out of the game and the window is minimized there is no sound period and goes mute. The sound doesn't come back until the window is set to focus. So technically people shouldn't be alt-tabbed out while waiting for a queue to pop. Yet, I play the game in fullscreen and when I alt-tab out to check on something the sound from the game goes mute.

Yep I had this problem last night commando was put into our group as a healer but was in fact DPS and had never played as a healer. Needless to say we had to disband. This seems to be the biggest problem with it at the moment and Bioware you have to fix it. Players should have to select 1 default role and not be able to queue for 2.

So far this is my biggest and only real grip about the finder. I can handle not getting ported back to where I queued from and the other little annoyances but:

My shadow tank, never been DPS, has no gear for DPS and I have no idea about DPS on a shadow. She's fully geared as a tank in a mix of BH, rakata and Columi tanking gear. Her talent trees are 31/0/10 - full tank spec and has never been anything but a tank - ever.

Yet the finder wants to throw me in as DPS from time to time.

Thats probably one of the stupidest things ever designed. Not taking into account that I have only the tank option clicked and still places me as DPS. It really needs to be fixed and if it's not there will be more and more groups that fall into frustration over it.

Probably been said before, but IMO the game should check your spec and not allow you to queue as a role unless a fair portion (half? a third?) of your spec points are in that tree. Allowing a full DPS spec sage or commando to queue as a healer so he doesn't have to wait is just plain dumb.

We also need to be able to queue for specfic group encounters on planets, or is it working but no one uses it? I just finished Balmorra as an heal spec Operative and not once did I get a group with the GF...had to do it the old fashioned way.

However, group leaders are randomly selected from players assigned the tank role

I'm not sure whether that's brilliant or awful. I do like that I have a (much) higher chance of getting the group leader role when I'm tanking, because it's my job to know all of the fights well (and I do). I feel sorry for the hate that new tanks will get when they are thrust into the leadership position, though.

Maybe add a "Elect New Leader" function that works similarly to the "Vote to Kick" function.

eta: I'm good enough/geared enough that, even though I am talented as a tank, I can fill a DPS role for any of the current groupfinder content, so I like being able to check two boxes. I still totally feel everyone's frustration about this issue though. Group role really should be radio buttons, not checkboxes.

Edited by CitizenFry

What about expanding the Group Finder to individual quests and Heroic group content?

For quests a yellow button at the quest's title in the tracker to join a queue for that particular quest so i can group up with people on those same quests (and hopefully continue together from there),

For Heroics a player could group even if they dont have the quest, and much like Flashpoints players would queue for all heroic quests in a planet and be teleported to the HC quest location. That way players could engage in pve group content while leveling as an alternative to solo questing or warzones.

I agree with this post. Queing for a planet is all well and good but, it doesn't help me find a group for a specific quest ever. If the people in que aren't on that heroic and I am then it is useless.

I agree with this post. Queing for a planet is all well and good but, it doesn't help me find a group for a specific quest ever. If the people in que aren't on that heroic and I am then it is useless.

Then if you are looking for a group then come out of that quest ok remember that for next time.

• 4 weeks later...
I wish it would actually allow me to join a flashpoint/etc that i was slightly to high a level for. Just cause I am lv 38 I can't use it for a mission that is 32-36 of whatever? There are several missions I have skipped from before this finder was available.

• 2 weeks later...

"Quick Tip: if you place a player on your ignore list, you will never be matched in a Group Finder group with that player."

That's not true...i was grouped a couple weeks ago with someone on my ignore list..

perhaps it was a simple glitch in the system but has anyone else had this problem?

I believe that a game mechanic like the group finder is something quite trivial today. We know that thousands of players expected to see it at launch. Accenting a triviality to the extent we see BioWare is doing with the Group Finder is very discouraging at least in my eyes. Half an year we're listening and learning about this Group Finder. Enough with it already, it's not revolutionary, it's not unprecedented feature, on the contrary it was an expected system which came way too late and is still with limitations.

It should be cross-server, and it should return the player back to their initial location prior to launching the flashpoint. Again those are not unheard of advanced features, but an expected commodity.

I like the Group Finder. It got me back to running Flashpoints, because typing LFG stuff in general chat was frustrating for me, though I never tried it after the move to the higher-pop server, but still....

I agree that i would like the option of being returned to point of origin (please, make it a player choice) .

But the one thing I would like to have is the opening convo done as a group. I do want the social points for it and opening convo tends to have more opportunity for them than the rest of the FP. Besides, it lets me know what the FP is about. For example, I did the run through of the Colicoid War Game and ...

i couldn't figure out why the bugs would let me pass on in the before getting to the guns, and then attack in waves and so on, and what the whole point of this, why the imperials were on the other side of the wall there and so on.

Later, after the FP was finished, I went back to the quest giver panel and did the whole opening convo by myself just to figure out what drove me to this.

Same for Taral V and Maelstrom Prison. Those are, IMO, the most fun FPs and the opening convos are great, but the Group Finder just skips that part.

Edited by oscardeleon