Fighting Valis

Vazorath

I'm new to MMO so I guess that's the problem lol, I need to figure out my cool downs and how to interrupt :o

One simple thing to do is to pop Saber Ward as soon as he starts attacking you, then immediately triggering "Call on the Force." It'll heal you and what not, but it also clears the cooldown on Saber Ward so you can use it again as soon as the first one is over. Then you might also have Warding Call to bust out once that one's over. Add on a medpack, and you really have WAY more HP to use in this fight than you might think. The key is realizing that you have to activate those cooldowns BEFORE you're almost out of health. I struggled with that a bit when I was first starting out, you don't think 'OH SNAP, GONNA DIE' until it's too late.

As for interrupts, the best advice is to put Kick on an easily reached button (I use R) so you can hit it every time you see the casting bar for an attack. If the cooldown isn't up on Kick, you can try a push or a stasis to interrupt him. Sometimes the timing can get tricky, but learning to use your interrupts is REALLY important as you go forward with this class. It's not too hard once you get the hang of it... it becomes second nature.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Valis was a fun fight and definitely not too hard.

If you're having trouble I'm going to guess you're new to mmos or never raided in other mmos. Not to worry, this fight is designed to teach you some of those skills.

The key is to use all of the abilities available to you at the right times. This fight is good to teach you a little about how to use a variety of skills in combination. Skills you'll need later on.

Others have given lists of things to do - my advice is to really read through your skills and think about what's killing you and what skill you have that can help with that. Adjusting beyond the "tank and spank" boss is something that makes mmo's fun. Things aren't working the way they have for other bosses? Take a sec and think it through.

Also use your interrupts. :)

Edited by Kitty_Whoopass

If you're having trouble I'm going to guess you're new to mmos or never raided in other mmos. Not to worry, this fight is designed to teach you some of those skills.

The key is to use all of the abilities available to you at the right times. This fight is good to teach you a little about how to use a variety of skills in combination. Skills you'll need later on.

Others have given lists of things to do - my advice is to really read through your skills and think about what's killing you and what skill you have that can help with that. Adjusting beyond the "tank and spank" boss is something that makes mmo's fun. Things aren't working the way they have for other bosses? Take a sec and think it through.

I like your advice, I'll report back soon with results!

I agree with all of this. I didn't even know who this guy was until I looked him up on Torhead. I didn't realize he could be so hard for people. Beat him as a 23 guardian.

Edited by Sivetar

Just engaged In major lightsaber rage and defeated him! Spent 50k doing It and now have no cash fo personal speeder training but I'm happy I've do It.

Grats!

One other thing is make sure you are upgrading your gear. If you're doing this fight in all greens and don't have implants/earpiece/relic etc. you are making life harder on yourself than necessary.

I think you have to understand that this fight is not about out DPSing the valis, but to Stop him from DPSing us. if you get that idea then he would be ez. Good luck tho. But i have to admit i died a few times on him too. :p Edited by vinceng

This guy is just kicking my can. I -almost- had him once, switching to my astromech companion and letting him get the initial aggro, wading in from the opposite side. My companion goes down in seconds, never mind trying to pull aggro off of him, and then a couple of shots his KB/'death beam' combo and that's all she wrote. I can't get up, let alone interrupt him, before he gets those things off.

It took a few goes and all my cash and reading these forums and thread like this for me to finally kill him. It taught me to learn about interrupts and how to use the abilities more effectively.

I am glad I kept going rather than asking my friends to help. I am finding that as I move on I am meeting more bosses like him. Great stuff, thanks for all the tips and advice :)

This guy is just kicking my can. I -almost- had him once, switching to my astromech companion and letting him get the initial aggro, wading in from the opposite side. My companion goes down in seconds, never mind trying to pull aggro off of him, and then a couple of shots his KB/'death beam' combo and that's all she wrote. I can't get up, let alone interrupt him, before he gets those things off.

Thats a sign that your companion is under geared for the level at which you are fighting. He should last quite a while. Kira lasted a full 30 seconds of me not intertupting him so that should give you an indication of how long they should hang around for.

Beat him at 23. Kira had no gear on so I just summoned the droid and he tanked him to under 40% before I had to use any defensive CDs.

Died the first time because I was not expecting this fight to be at all difficult.

Just use rebuke, saber ward, cotf, saber ward and interrupt his big hit for like 1500? If you have any other trouble.

I still don't understand how or when my rebuke works? anyone?

definitely!

if theres one thing i learned from this battle its everything. Id say this battle made me learn how to use other unknown abilities. why to use them, when to use them, and how to counter his that were killing me (interrupts). I learned more mmo terms, thought process, etc. it is definitely more than just spamming keys. if theres truth to mmos having a rough learning curve this is def the right place that it starts. gj BW

I think one of WoW's failings was to not give people enough variety while leveling up so when you got to raiding EVERY single new raider (myself included) had to be taught these skills by their guild/group. There was nothing in the early game to really prepare people for end game mechanics.

So far Bioware has been incorporating these early on which is a huge blessing. It means that new raiders won't have such a steep learning curve and that's good for everyone.

Hard fights are good fights. Don't give up. :)

Edited by Kitty_Whoopass

Just beat him after about 10 tries with my lvl 26 sent. this is my first mmo btw. went in the first 3 times, and got absolutely spanked. then i made a brand new quickslot page just for him. got rebuke, forceleap, stasis, forcekick, you know, the works. tried two more times.

came on here, finally had enuf. read all the advice and it really is about the interrupts. adjusted my quickslot accordingly. bought some endurance stims, went at it again. tried about 5 more times, got better each time. forceleaped kira in and then got in a few strikes before i had to interrupt. then its just all about timing and deploying ur interrupts. adding in a few defensive and offensive cds when you have the chance. I got him down to about 100 hp the second to last time before he used that explosive purple blast thing and killed me.

the last time i made mincemeat outta him. had about 50% hp left. really stick in there and keep in mind it really is about timing and the interrupts.

haha, didn't even use the stims or medpacs i bought. lol

I bet it felt good too when you finally got him down - Grats!

I bet you learned a ton about your class too and now will be more effective on other mobs. Interrupts are absolutely necessary in a few fights but in most fights they are very worthwhile additions that just make things go smoother/faster.

If you haven't thought about it yet, Interrupts in PvP can be absolutely critical.

I found the Sith Harrowers much more painfull to beat than Valis. Aside from his push force push, he's pretty cake if you engage him properly.

The moment you interrupt him, unleash all you got and than built up your focus... once he pushes you back, leap in and unleash again. repeat this 3 times and you win

I bet it felt good too when you finally got him down - Grats!

I bet you learned a ton about your class too and now will be more effective on other mobs. Interrupts are absolutely necessary in a few fights but in most fights they are very worthwhile additions that just make things go smoother/faster.

If you haven't thought about it yet, Interrupts in PvP can be absolutely critical.

This is so true.

That is till you get doc, then you stop thinking about interupts until a boss

Comes along and you really need them and you get spanked again.

Ive stopped using doc again for this very reason, I need to relearn to play, but not in easy mid this time!

Interrupts should be part of your priority system/rotation/whatever for any silver or higher mob who casts. Any time you interrupt you either prevent dmg to yourself or prevent the mob from healing itself or someone other mob. It's hard to go wrong.

To get into good habits spend a day or two and interrupt every spell you possibly can on every target. Watch for the cast bar to start up and then interrupt. Often with the CD of interupt and the cast sequence of mobs you end up interrupting every other spell they cast.

If you haven't bound your interrupt to a convenient key you're doing it wrong. :)

I bind my interrupts on all my characters to the letter T because it's very easy to reach. You can't click fast enough to click an interupt - it needs to be hotkeyed. And interrupts are one of the things that you need the fastest reaction time for.

Give it a try and pretty soon interupting will be second nature and you'll be a better player for it.