If there was a third faction.. what would you want it to be?

Anysao

The Witches would more likely be an add on to the empire because they are darkside force users.

Maybe an add on to the Empire is more feasible for the Nightsister Witches (Witches of Dathomir). I didn't realize they used the dark side of the force. I thought they used some sort of dark magic.

Another faction for SWTOR could be the Ssi-Ruu from The Truce at Bakura novel. I think they would be a fun faction to play.

I also think the Yuuzhan Vong's ability to not be sensed through the force (or absence in the force) would be cool in the game as it is said that the Yuuzhan Vong's absence in the force caused Jedi to be confused. The Yuuzhan Vong also have another race of slaves called the Chazrach.

Anyways, just some ideas... still want to see the Mandalorians first and the Yuuzhan Vong a close second.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Third faction was always going to be the Hutt Cartel.

Classes-

Mandalorian (Trooper/ BH type)

Underworld Trader (Smuggler/ Agent type)

Outcast Swordsman (Knight/ warrior type)

Outcast Force user (Consular/ Inquisitor type)

Now for the cool bit-

Whenever an character gets to a level where he gets a new ability, he gets to choose which one. for example, when you get to choose force choke (for the warrior), the mirror ability is foce stasis (I think). You get to choose which one you want.

I always thought Backhand was way better than it's Knight mirror, so you can pick it. Same with all the other abilities as you level. As an outcast force user, you could go lightside, but still have lightning fingers! Like Kyle Katarn.

how about it?

Classes-

Now for the cool bit-

Whenever an character gets to a level where he gets a new ability, he gets to choose which one. for example, when you get to choose force choke (for the warrior), the mirror ability is foce stasis (I think). You get to choose which one you want. iI always thought Backhand was way better than it's Knight mirror, so you can pick it. Same with all the other abilities as you level. As an outcast force user, you could go lightside, but still have lightning fingers! Like Kyle Katarn

how about it?

I actually really like this idea. But I don't think you should choose EVERY ability; It would be unfair for the two non-force users. Maybe by force alignment. DS and LS points. And I stil think each force user should be from each faction; because it's a little odd that more then a few defect from each order. But all in all, very good idea. But aren't mandalorians with the empire? I hears they're heavily involved with BH story.

No 3rd faction!!!

Have you levelled a character?

The game story is literally split in two, with no 'real' interaction between the factions (except in designated areas in higher-level planets for the factions to fight.)

What does this do? It splits the server, meaning that in reality you can only ever meet half of the playerbase, unless you level on the opposing faction. Assuming the past design process remains the same going forward, a 3rd faction means triple the class writing, world design, and quest design - i.e. wasted resources. For example my Shadow would never experience two thirds of the content going forward.

Close the playerbase gap, don't open it. That being said, I would support a 3rd faction if there were more neutral quest locations such as on Voss going forward. Or if most, or all, locations were open to all sides. This would grow the community, provide PvP servers with a more enjoyable questing experience (wouldn't cause too much grief for PvE levelers other then the opposing faction tagging a mob, but that still can happen in your own faction already), and halve the work writers and developers need to do for new planets.

As a player who enjoys PvP, the current design for worlds sucks. Half-way into the game (tatooine) I can expect to see someone from the opposing faction. There are way way way too many locations that the opposing faction can not even travel to (including full planets).

Closing the server and faction gap:

1. Saves the company resources in designing, which can then be used to improve other areas of the game.

2. Provides the opportunity for a more immersive community on your own faction.

3. Paves the way for the possibility of future factions

I actually really like this idea. But I don't think you should choose EVERY ability; It would be unfair for the two non-force users. Maybe by force alignment. DS and LS points. And I stil think each force user should be from each faction; because it's a little odd that more then a few defect from each order. But all in all, very good idea. But aren't mandalorians with the empire? I hears they're heavily involved with BH story.

Not choose EVERY ability, you get to choose one or the other, but not both. The non force users will get the same option. Some abilities will not be available due to the weapon you use though.

In order for that to happen, the story would have to be written for one class and it's mirror, (Knight/ Warrior and Consular/ Inquisitor). if it was written on a faction basis, such as Knight/ Consular, I can't see how it would work. Like what abilities do you give them? They both level up with completely different abilities, so I think it would have to be on the basis of one class with it's morror class.

As for the Mandalorians, I think that's all a bit subjective. They appear in the BH story, but they're freelancers, just like the BH himself. The Mandalorians we're pretty much annihilated at Malachor, (300 years before swtor) the survivors now being mercenaries, the Hutts would are just a natural group to work for. (and lots of people want to be a Mandalorian, so lets put it in)

Edited by ChrisRedmond

Oh no, you misunderstand me. I meen, don't choose EVERY ability. Like for example, I can see how force stasis and force choke is a good choice. But I don't think "saber slash" and "vicious slash" for Sith warriors and Jedi knights, is a good choice. So only certain, "heroic" abilities should be chosen. I think some animations should be slightly changed too.

I think a good requirement is 1 level 50 on each faction. That way it's a fun unlock.

a third / neutral faction could be very nice maybe in a later expansion, one witch is neither at war. or at piece with the empire or republic.

this could play a very interesting part in WZ's and such as a Empire Vs Republic fight would be made up or Empire and 3rd faction Vs Republic and 3rd faction.

or Bio IMO could just make a new race. (neutral) and you decide as you level from 1-10) what side you would like to follow. but this would need a new class to go with it, because with the legacy perk from a 50 of a race can be played as any class. it would maybe need tweaking so only a (new race) could play the new class.

if it is to be a new-race. Tauntaun farmers +1 vote from me.

Edited by DrDon

what about the chiss ascendancy? thats a third faction that actually is a power in the galaxy unlike the hutt cartell which is just subterfuge smuggling and backstabs, no giant fleet or massive army, just hired guns

Classes-

Classes-

Soldier(trooper/bh)

Pistoleer/Officer(smuggler/agent type)

Swordsman/Terakasi/doctor(knight/warrior/sage/sorcerer)

Fencer(Assasin/shadow)

I just Prefer that force users stay out of this. Mandalorians wouldn't fit in the hutt cartel IMO.

But aren't mandalorians with the empire? I hears they're heavily involved with BH story.

Mandalorians are Mandalorians and would be enough for a faction of their own. Pretty much like the classes I listed above except put Mandalorian before every class I just listed.

Edited by Jonoku

Classes-

Soldier(trooper/bh)

Pistoleer/Officer(smuggler/agent type)

Swordsman/Terakasi(knight/warrior/sage/sorcerer)

Fencer(Assasin/shadow)

I just Prefer that force users stay out of this. Mandalorians wouldn't fit in the hutt cartel IMO.

Ya, I get you, but without force users, where would willpower and strength come in? Maybe like how companions use itt, use the stats, but not the force. For example, agent companion, Vector, uses willpower as melee DPS, but no actual force powers.

But no Teras'kasi, there is no room for unarmed combat in this game. Except, of course, scoundrel sucker punch.

But no Teras'kasi, there is no room for unarmed combat in this game. Except, of course, scoundrel sucker punch.

But criminal, cartel thugs can learn to be TKM too. Story would be like, hey little ewok kid,*thug punches the ewok*.

Thug:"Man ima learn how to be a TKM."

-Goes to train at Palawa-

-Blah blah blah happens-

-Becomes a master and join cartel and blah blah blah-

Edited by Jonoku

Why complicate it all with a new system. There is an existing feature in SWTOR already that could handle this.

Alignment >= +5000 : Light Side Faction

Alignment < +5000 and > -5000 : Neutral Faction

Alignment <= -5000 : Dark Side Faction

Make up whatever parameters / story / locations / conflicts / perks for choosing sides you want.

Why complicate it all with a new system. There is an existing feature in SWTOR already that could handle this.

Alignment >= +5000 : Light Side Faction

Alignment < +5000 and > -5000 : Neutral Faction

Alignment <= -5000 : Dark Side Faction

Make up whatever parameters / story / locations / conflicts / perks for choosing sides you want.

it would screw up every class story.

it would screw up every class story.

For new content that takes advantage of havin 3 factions, exactly how would this screw anything up? So I pick the light side option for the finale of Ch. 4, ultimately deciding that I won't help the Empire enslave the indigenous species of a new planet. Therefore, for Open-PvP on that planet, and any new WZs for that planet (anything designed to take advantage of having 3 factions), I, being a light side Empire player, fight for the light side (along-side any other player picking light side).

Now, if you're talking about retro-fitting existing content with 3 factions, you could pick any option here and it would muddy the story-arc for Chapters 1-3.

Cashcrop, IMO your idea is a bit messy. If you want faction change/defection, that's not going to come out this year but they will do it down the road if the game is still alive by then. But the defection should not be as complicated as the way you word it. A defection is a defection.