So has anyone else noticed how we have no real economy and crafting is worthless?

Oddzball

"My playstyle on playing Street Fighter is holding the back button until the time runs out, but WHY AM I NOT WINNING?!? I SHOULD BE ABLE TO PLAY IN A MANNER THAT SUITS MY PLAYSTYLE!!!111!!!!one1!!"

herr denki_ only wants HIS opinions posted. there's a word for that.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No games company will ever grasp this concept. It's WAY too easy for them to shoehorn dailies into the game to keep the gear nerds happy with their "Groundhog Day" playstyle. They LOVE doing the same thing day after day.

You have no idea how much I detest WoW. I detest that people think MMOs were about grinding. Its a ROLE PLAYING GAME, not a get home from work and DO MORE WORK grinding the same missions you've been grinding for the last 6 months.

Im sorry but SWG had it right. Its to bad Sony screwed it up, but the core concept was perfect.

If you wanted to be a damn dancer in a cantina you could. If you wanted to be a doctor hanging around a clinic, more power to ya. Want to be a moisture Farmer? Go for it. Just want to grind and kill crap, you are welcome here as well.

What kind of mindless drone do you have to be to want to repeat the SAME quest literally THOUSANDS of times?

Hrmmm... my friend/guildy earns about 1Mil credits a day on the GTN just from crafting, and that was before 1.3 He was having a field day yesterday!

I do think that BW needs to let players have 2 crafting professions. That would stimulate the gathering side of the economy since there would be crafters needing a steady supply of materials.

You have no idea how much I detest WoW. I detest that people think MMOs were about grinding. Its a ROLE PLAYING GAME, not a get home from work and DO MORE WORK grinding the same missions you've been grinding for the last 6 months.

Im sorry but SWG had it right. Its to bad Sony screwed it up, but the core concept was perfect.

If you wanted to be a damn dancer in a cantina you could. If you wanted to be a doctor hanging around a clinic, more power to ya. Want to be a moisture Farmer? Go for it. Just want to grind and kill crap, you are welcome here as well.

What kind of mindless drone do you have to be to want to repeat the SAME quest literally THOUSANDS of times?

Casuals... :eek:

No I said the economy and crafting sucks. The whole FP, storyline quest stuff is awesome.

If the game was a complete failure why would I bother staying subscribed.

What it fails at is that questing is literally the only thing you can do in the game.

No minigames besides Space Combat, which is boring as hell once you've done the same 4 missions 50+ times.

You have regular quests, FPs, OPs, and HM FM, all just "questing" really.

No minigames, worthless economy, worthless crafting, no player housing, complete crap/non-existant tools for RPing(We cant even get gosh darned chat bubbles, which is ridiculous)

I'm suppose to feel like the Hero? Then why the hell am I grinding missions like someones little ****** on Black Hole or the prison planet???

YEAH REAL HEROIC, go pick up those ammo crates for me! That's the most heroic mission EVER!

I never said I loved the daily grind. I generally just do the 20 minutes in the Black Hole because that is the most efficient time to credits conversion in the game. If I need more credits I'll put in the time in the other dailies, but its all very repetitive.

But I was in SWG. That was repetitive to me. Get a mission from a terminal, go kill/gather etc something and get some credits. I have yet to find a game where you didn't kill x, gather y or go to z in order to bring credits into the game. Now, SWG was crafting heavy and did a lot of that right. But WoW crafting, for years, was awful. Only when they brought in something every profession could do that everyone needed to have did it become profitable. But even then it was usually a few people who cornered the market early and got the most credits, then everyone else fought for the scraps.

Every game runs into the level cap problem where you're at 50 and you need nothing else, you're done with every bonus quest in ever area (planet) and have literally nothing to do until the next patch is released. There isn't an MMO out there that hasn't run into that problem at one time or another. If there were, it would be bigger than WoW and would never have lost a single subscriber because no one would have ever been bored and looking for the next thing to entertain them.

I've just been arguing that there are ways in this game to make credits that don't involve an awful grind or giving up whatever limited/unlimited time you might have to play it.

Edited by DiLune

There was plenty of grind in SWG. And the end game of SWG was a credit grind. It was that way in Pre-CU SWG, CU-SWG and NGE SWG. Entertainers grinded cash ( no pun intended ) because they needed new cloths. Doc's grinded creds to buy matts so they could grind more creds. Crafters grinded matts so they could grind more creds. There was a grind in SWG.

Every MMORPG has a grind everyone. There will always be a point when you are at level CAP or "skill" cap ( in the case of Pre-CU SWG and CU-SWG ( and games like this (Secret World)). It could be a cash grind, a rep grind, a commendation grind or something else but, there will always be a grind until something new and innovative comes along.

Edited by Urael

*shrug*

If you aren't a raider/grouper, and find dailies stupid/silly, (all of which fits me) crafted stuff is just about the best there is. I sell some reasonably well, so there's at least *some* people out there wanting it.

Hrmmm... my friend/guildy earns about 1Mil credits a day on the GTN just from crafting, and that was before 1.3 He was having a field day yesterday!

I do think that BW needs to let players have 2 crafting professions. That would stimulate the gathering side of the economy since there would be crafters needing a steady supply of materials.

Selling what exactly? The ONLY thin i would even consider buying is augments, but that market will dry up soon too.

There's nothing that people NEED to buy.

Most MMOs with GOOD economies have things that players NEED. Like repair kits, fuel for vehicles, food (Assuming you have to eat).

OH HERE, this is a novel concept, have weapons actually break and NEED to be replaced. Crazy right?

Have weapons with randomized or scaling stats so not every blaster cranked out is exactly the SAME.

How about the ability to dye armor/clothing?

Are these features to advanced or something? I mean MMOs had them over 10 years ago, maybe that knowledge was lost somehow?

I will say it again: Its an alt driven economy. Just because you don't have anything you want to buy doesn't mean there aren't 100's of people out there who don't want to spend the time gearing their alt up and are happy you spent the time making something they can just buy for them with the gobs of credits they have on their main.

I will say it again: Its an alt driven economy. Just because you don't have anything you want to buy doesn't mean there aren't 100's of people out there who don't want to spend the time gearing their alt up and are happy you spent the time making something they can just buy for them with the gobs of credits they have on their main.

Ug, maybe folks are right and "This isnt the game you are looking for"

Its such a f-ing let down after years of hype and being such a huge Star Wars fan.

I took everyone elses advice & left the game. I want to thank everyone that said "just leave if you don't like it". Now I'm having fun again in games that don't have these problems. If everyone that doesn't like this games set up would just do the same, these people left here could enjoy their game with out fuss.

It just turns out even though I enjoy Star Wars more then any other game setting, it wasn't enough to even keep me here.

The irony, is for example, by the time I grind all the credits and Legacy experience to get my "XP bonus stuff" unlocked for an alt to "Customize my playstyle" I could have just leveled the damn alt up.

All that time you "save" not having to grind boring planet missions you have done 10 times already is spent grinding credits to get the stuff that is suppose to save you time.

lol this is true and the reason why I haven't invested in any of the legacy XP perks.

Not counting augment related stuff - I still sell 1-2 Columi implants every day for ~150k each on a character I haven't "played" except to craft in several months. I can send out my companions for the materials and log out, requiring at most 5 minutes a day to send companions out, check the GTN, and post new implants.

You can also make a ton of money just sending out your companions for materials and then selling those materials on the GTN. ~6x artifact fragments (t6) take ~30 minutes and ~1500 credits - and you can sell those 6 for 1k each (if not more with this new demand).

TLDR: OP is lazy.

There are other ways of making money in this game than dailies. You just have to look for them. Just going out and exploring places while killing mobs can grab you tons of money if the drop rates are good.

I have made millions from crafting. For a while (before I took a break from the game), I was the biggest Armormech on Krath. I had a purple heavy armor schematic for every slot form lvl 19-47. I paid some suppliers to keep me in stock with purple quality underworld metals, but still made lots of profit. I usually had 4 pages of purple armor up on the GTN, and it would sell very well. I was making a lot of profit on it.

Mat prices have really gone up, so gathering the mats myself is the only way to really keep the profit margin up these days (now that I am playing again), but I am still making money at it. Just last night, I started crafting 25 different purple armor pieces right before I went to bed. They crafted while I slept. When I woke up, I spent about 5 minutes posting them before leaving for work. I'll probably come home to 5-10 emails from sales.

Honestly, I give up on this game ever having a viable economy.

Other than augments, I cant think of a single thing that is crafted that I would buy or need.

How did crafting turn out to be so useless in this game?

I see how they tried to make the economy a little more viable by allowing cross faction GTN, but even that is worthless because for some stupid reason when I buy a republic piece of armor on my IMP, it turns into the damn IMP version!

Meidcal or stimpacks? Oh maybe if you are a min-maxer that has to have the best and be buffed all the time, but frankly i run PvP, HM FPs, and never once have I used a stim unless I happen to get one for free out of loot, and I have beat every single FP in the game.

And I'm not even hard core.

But to make things worse, there are so many damn gold sinks in this game its ridiculous.

If I remember correctly, it takes around 4 hours to do all the dailies, for a total of ~300k.

Well lets figure out operating costs, repair bills, swapping mods, those f-ing expensive legacy perks, augment costs, oh great, all that money I spent the whole day making? Gone.

Seriously, some of us only play ~5 hours a week, I dont want to spend my whole damn time grinding dailies.

IT IS NOT FUN TO GRIND DAILIES.

I play this game to have fun.

The irony, is for example, by the time I grind all the credits and Legacy experience to get my "XP bonus stuff" unlocked for an alt to "Customize my playstyle" I could have just leveled the damn alt up.

All that time you "save" not having to grind boring planet missions you have done 10 times already is spent grinding credits to get the stuff that is suppose to save you time.

SO the economy is completely dead. Huge gold sinks, to "keep inflation down" on the items nobody is buying anyway.

if you can only play five hours a week perhaps a mmo isnt for you.

Honestly, I give up on this game ever having a viable economy.

I disagree. The economies on both of the servers I play are pretty strong. So much so that my toons don't do any dailies at all and are able to do quite well for themselves just selling stuff on the GTN. Making the GTN neutral did cause prices to drop for some consumables, but they are still selling at a very profitable level.

I actually set up 4 crafters and 2 gatherers so that I wouldn't have to have my livelihood depend on the end game grind and it hasn't worked. Odd is right. There is no healthy economy on the GTN and even after the patch, searching for items on it is a nightmare.

I occasionally sell oranges but for less than it cost to level up my crafters by far. It is like paying for 8 years of college and then getting a minimum wage job.

If it were worth it, I could reverse engineer blue patterns, send my toons off on missions for the special mission mat and keep my guys in blue for the short time they pass through a level, but the drops are adequate. My main leveled in oranges and making the mods was a huge amount of work to keep her geared at level....it would have been easier to just accept the drops. Especially if you get the datacrons as you go so that you have the extra little buffs built in....OH! Keep quiet on that or they will nerf the datacrons....

Crafting adds creativity and diversity to the game so that it isn't as boring and gives you a little extra to occasionally help out your friends if you happen to have spare mats, in reality. But farming and selling the mats to the crafters is the most economical choice...or will be until everyone does that...and then the farmers will be competing to sell and the crafters will have cheaper crafts and no one to buy them. You already sell finished goods for less than it would cost you to make them.

I am thinking BW, like most gaming companies, needs to take a look at their economy designer...maybe they need a dual degree in economics and game design...and some real world economic experience.

I actually know of someone with a degree in game design who works for Dunn and Bradstreet because he didn't want a $9 testing job straight out of college. No kidding...In and Out Burger pays $9 per hour. (well...people like to eat too...doesn't that compete with people who like to play games?) It is an example of the real world job economy supply and demand crashing into the gaming world pretend economy, I think.

Then lead designers need to stop changing things and giving over to the spot pressures enough to take away what little niches crafters actually find. Like with the augment slots...... ruining the ability to proc a valuable random augmented orange that sold for enough to replace some of your investments....Perhaps they should have thought more carefully about what levels oranges could proc mods and whether start game oranges and end game oranges were virtually the same items.

Why does one go to school for an MD or MBA again....? OH! To make a living that is a bit more comfortable. Too bad BW then does a knee jerk change too quickly to fill the hole that those crafting "degrees" opened.

Just a thought. I won't be back to read the trolling responses. :p

Edited by Nibirui

I actually set up 4 crafters and 2 gatherers so that I wouldn't have to have my livelihood depend on the end game grind and it hasn't worked. Odd is right. There is no healthy economy on the GTN and even after the patch, searching for items on it is a nightmare.

I occasionally sell oranges but for less than it cost to level up my crafters by far. It is like paying for 8 years of college and then getting a minimum wage job.

If it were worth it, I could reverse engineer blue patterns, send my toons off on missions for the special mission mat and keep my guys in blue for the short time they pass through a level, but the drops are adequate. My main leveled in oranges and making the mods was a huge amount of work to keep her geared at level....it would have been easier to just accept the drops. Especially if you get the datacrons as you go so that you have the extra little buffs built in....OH! Keep quiet on that or they will nerf the datacrons....

Crafting adds creativity and diversity to the game so that it isn't as boring and gives you a little extra to occasionally help out your friends if you happen to have spare mats, in reality. But farming and selling the mats to the crafters is the most economical choice...or will be until everyone does that...and then the farmers will be competing to sell and the crafters will have cheaper crafts and no one to buy them. You already sell finished goods for less than it would cost you to make them.

I am thinking BW, like most gaming companies, needs to take a look at their economy designer...maybe they need a dual degree in economics and game design...and some real world economic experience.

I actually know of someone with a degree in game design who works for Dunn and Bradstreet because he didn't want a $9 testing job straight out of college. No kidding...In and Out Burger pays $9 per hour. (well...people like to eat too...doesn't that compete with people who like to play games?) It is an example of the real world job economy supply and demand crashing into the gaming world pretend economy, I think.

Then lead designers need to stop changing things and giving over to the spot pressures enough to take away what little niches crafters actually find. Like with the augment slots...... ruining the ability to proc a valuable random augmented orange that sold for enough to replace some of your investments....Perhaps they should have thought more carefully about what levels oranges could proc mods and whether start game oranges and end game oranges were virtually the same items.

Why does one go to school for an MD or MBA again....? OH! To make a living that is a bit more comfortable. Too bad BW then does a knee jerk change too quickly to fill the hole that those crafting "degrees" opened.

Just a thought. I won't be back to read the trolling responses. :p

Thanks, at least some people understand where i am coming from.