Extended Maintenance

Dacce

Your right, at least the first time they do it.

How many times has it been now...

3, 4+ plus removing ranked warzones from 1.2 because they realized it didnt work, not to mention the rubbish armor designs, the epic loading screens (and my comp runs with all graphics on high seamlessly), even with all settigns on low. The lack of open world pvp, the failure of ilum. need i go on?

this is most definitely incompetence

Those all may be signs of incompetence, but extended maintenance is not. If you want to complain about them failing because of those other epic gaffes, go right ahead. I won't stop you. But don't complain that extended maintenance is sign of failure, because that's just ignorance. You're just looking for stuff to complain about.

Oh, and you're, not your.

Edited by YanksfanJP

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

you guys must hate WOW a lot then, that game was full of extended maintenances.

lol..."hey it's going to be another two hours guys".......two hours later, "hey guys, yeah another 2 hours" .....so on, and so on.

I remember a 12 hour extended once. In 2 hour increments :rolleyes:

Those all may be signs of incompetence, but extended maintenance is not. If you want to complain about them failing because of those other epic gaffes, go right ahead. I won't stop you. But don't complain that extended maintenance is sign of failure, because it's not. You're just looking for stuff to complain about.

It is a sign when they do it every time.

I do not need to look for things to complain about because the game literally has a list printed on the screen.

error

error

error

error

error

bug

bug

bug

OMG... imagine that BioWare is just like NCSOFT, Blizzard or Trion... all 3 of those companies post updates on Twitter BEFORE posting anything official on their website. OH THE HUMANITY OF IT ALL!

Thanks for the random flame. No, what I think everyone is looking for is that BioWare would note that this kind of stuff isn't exactly the best way to go about it all. NCSoft and Blizzard are both outdated for their main games, that's the problem BW had when it copied WoW piece by piece. BW is copying games that are years old, much like their launch people were hoping that these screwed up trends would be left with previous games. BW's Launch went smoothly and near flawless, I'm sure people expected them to hold true to that ideal and apply it to everything else they did.

So answer me this, how can BioWare launch the game with almost no issues at all yet a 300 MB patch turns into extended maintenance?

No, but my patching failed so now it's repairing 11 files and looks like it's gonna take at least a couple hours to do that at the rate it's going.

also having this issue, instand download, 3 hours to install. failed to install, starts over...

Thanks for the random flame. No, what I think everyone is looking for is that BioWare would note that this kind of stuff isn't exactly the best way to go about it all. NCSoft and Blizzard are both outdated for their main games, that's the problem BW had when it copied WoW piece by piece. BW is copying games that are years old, much like their launch people were hoping that these screwed up trends would be left with previous games. BW's Launch went smoothly and near flawless, I'm sure people expected them to hold true to that ideal and apply it to everything else they did.

So answer me this, how can BioWare launch the game with almost no issues at all yet a 300 MB patch turns into extended maintenance?

Because patchs do more than meets the eye. It's nothing new. All patches in EVERY MMO UNDER THE SUN.... screw up something. It's just life as a gamer and a developer. It's impossible to thoroughly test every single line of code before implementation. Hence why bugs are still around in WoW that were there at release. Thousands of lines of code... where is the one that threw something off? Who knows?

People need to stop thinking this is like back in the day with 16mb games that had maybe 400 lines of code max. The new age games are rediciously huge.

Your right, at least the first time they do it.

How many times has it been now...

3, 4+ plus removing ranked warzones from 1.2 because they realized it didnt work, not to mention the rubbish armor designs, the epic loading screens (and my comp runs with all graphics on high seamlessly), even with all settigns on low. The lack of open world pvp, the failure of ilum. need i go on?

this is most definitely incompetence

Those all may be signs of incompetence, but extended maintenance is not. If you want to complain about them failing because of those other epic gaffes, go right ahead. I won't stop you. But don't complain that extended maintenance is sign of failure, because that's just ignorance. You're just looking for stuff to complain about.

Umm extended maintenance is a sign of failure - a sign the release / project manager failed to understand the roll-out / the product / or their teams.

Umm extended maintenance is a sign of failure - a sign the release / project manager failed to understand the roll-out / the product / or their teams.

Because nothing unexpected ever comes up in the world of computer programming. Get over yourselves.

Actually no its not. They even mentioned it could go longer in their press release. However, this field always can use talented and driven individuals. There are many industries (not just games) that do utilize these types of folks. If you are really interested and think your good enough jump on in. Its good work albiet frustrating at times.

As far the variable time, lots of reasons. Enterprise level source code management is very complex. Nothing unusual here. Just to many variables to predict a precise time unless it something simple like a server restart. That can be predicted.

It is a sign when they do it every time.

I do not need to look for things to complain about because the game literally has a list printed on the screen.

error

error

error

error

error

bug

bug

bug

A bit over the top me thinks. (OK, way over the top.) Perhaps upgrading to a WinXP Dell XPS720 pos like I play on might help. I get no errors and the patch took all of about 5 minutes to load. The roughest thing I encountered was having to reallocate skill points on my JKs.

[edit] One had to figure the astroturfing water army would be out in force today. Predictable as sunrise. :rolleyes:

Edited by GalacticKegger

Actually no its not. They even mentioned it could go longer in their press release. However, this field always can use talented and driven individuals. There are many industries (not just games) that do utilize these types of folks. If you are really interested and think your good enough jump on in. Its good work albiet frustrating at times.

As far the variable time, lots of reasons. Enterprise level source code management is very complex. Nothing unusual here. Just to many variables to predict a precise time unless it something simple like a server restart. That can be predicted.

While not a project manager I have been managed by several, and know several either working for or having worked for big enterprise. I knew the 4hr maintenance window was very unlikely to met, why was that time frame posted?

None of the project mangers I know or have known would report optimistic time frames. They would report realistic time frames and would not be talked / bullied into entertaining discussion with their superiors about best case timeframe for delivery, only most likely timeframe for delivery.