Stats and soft caps - PvP - DPS 1.3

Leathen

What are you guys building stats wise now ? Theres various posts on this forum but some are now outdated and have conflicting information.

Is 1700 cunning still a soft-cap target ? People say that the return for damage is better stacking power than cunning (once you reach the 35/75 crit/surge)

From my understanding for a DPS concealment operative the following should be your precedence ...

1) Expertise

2) Cunning to around 1700

3) Crit chance to 30% (35% buffed)

4) Surge to 75% minimum

5) Throw everything else into power once the above are met.

Any thoughts ?

Edited by Leathen

What are you guys building stats wise now ? Theres various posts on this forum but some are now outdated and have conflicting information.

Is 1700 cunning still a soft-cap target ? People say that the return for damage is better stacking power than cunning (once you reach the 35/75 crit/surge)

From my understanding for a DPS concealment operative the following should be your precedence ...

1) Expertise

2) Cunning to around 1700

3) Crit chance to 30% (35% buffed)

4) Surge to 75% minimum

5) Throw everything else into power once the above are met.

Any thoughts ?

1) Percentage full war hero and a power color crystal for power instead of expertise will yield slightly higher hits, weather it is worth it or not is up to interpretation.

2) Cunnings damage contribution (point per point done by 1.14*cunning) will yield a 0.228 + damage contribution. This is only .002 less than that power contribution per point and NEVER dr's. The softcap is only with respect to the crit contributions which honestly is not that large of a hit. Not to mention that this added bonus to crit regardless of if its .5% or .2% is still going to allow you to reduce crit based on your gear and increase power.

3) I agree I love 30% crit (35% buffed) as a concealment operative as if you do not crit you pretty much do no damage (fail design).

4) mhmm, 75% is good but stacking surge is going to DR giving a greater flexibility of gear (for example the mender implants for op can increase more damage for you, and since surge is "hard capped")

5)Yay Power!

Im currently running with (approx)

1360 expert

1700 cunning

35.6% crit

78.9% surge

850 power

As time goes on I'll be replacing more stuff with BiS to bring up 'power' a little more, i was just trying to figure out if I needed that much cunning and surge :)

My healer operative in full BM has 40% crit but 65% surge so I added 3 surge augments to bring it up to 73% and the rest of the augs I'm going with are end/cunning. So I have 700 power, 40% crit, 73% surge and now just need to boost end/cunning. Edited by Sookster

I find it interesting people claim power is worth more than cunning. Is there any evidence of that? Other than the theoretical fact that yes, eventually, it will be worth somewhere between 0 and 0.002 more, how are people coming up with these 1700 numbers?

You need enough cunning that the bonus crit hits such a hard DR that it is worth less than 0.002. It should actually be easy enough to math that out, but I'm not motivated to dig out the formulas to mathematically prove something I already believe. But you just want to find the point in the crit DR that the bonus damage contribution is less than 0.002. But i'll demonstrate it with the sim and a binary search:

60000 cunning

cunning 0.3893

power 0.3935

error margin 0.001

As you can see, there the DR has pushed the bonus crit contribution to cunning's worth below the .002 difference, within the error margin of .001. It's what we expect to see for extremely large values of cunning, or by implication, extremely low values of crit from cunning.

60000 is pretty crazy though. Lets halve it.

30000 cunning

cunning 0.3923

power 0.3957

error margin 0.0005

So cunning has ever so slightly increased, as expected, but power is still worth more, within the margin of error. 30000 is still pretty crazy, so halvies again:

15000 cunning

cunning: 0.3977

power: 0.3892

error margin: .0003

OK here we have tipped the balance. at 15000 cunning, it is worth between 0.0082 and 0.0088 more than power. We know now that the point of cunning at which power becomes more valuable is somewhere between 15000 and 30000, both currently beyond known reach in game.

So yes, sure, it is true that for high enough values of cunning power will be worth more because of DR on the crit. But I think people are forgetting to define "high enough" and assume things like "a bit less than the best we can get in game" (1700-2100) instead of "more than 7 times what we get in game" ( over 15000 (but less than 30000!))

And for kicks, lets see how more normal amount of cunning shapes up.

2200 cunning

cunning: 0.4184

power: 0.3654

error margin 0.007

or about 15% more value in cunning. If you're stopping at 1700 so you can stack power, you may want to reconsider or at least base your decision on evidence. On my testing you're losing about 15% of the value.

Edited by cortea

People seem to forget the +5% buff, which makes Cunning more valuable, purely damage wise. The +crit is just an added bonus (and a pretty good one, at that, since it's a different soft cap than crit.).

I'd personally take cunning over power, whenever there is a choice.

The 5% was already factored in when Rizael wrote

2) Cunnings damage contribution (point per point done by 1.14*cunning) will yield a 0.228 + damage contribution. This is only .002 less than that power

1.14 is 9% from talents and 5% from the buff. So taking into account the buff and the talent, power is ever so marginally better. The thing that seals the deal for cunning is the crit component. Without that power would win always.

Edited by cortea

My stats self buffed at the moment look like this (not fully optimized, mind you):

Cun: 2037

Hp: 18564

Exp: 1215

Tech Bonusdmg: 866

Bonus heal: 625

Ranged Bonusdmg: 594

Tech crit: 28.6%

Ranged crit: 29.7%

Surge multiplier: 77.8%

Power:696

This does not include the warr and bh class buffs it does include the inquisitor class buff.

The reason why I started prioritizing cunning on the mods as well is the general stat distribution, those mods have more endurance and from my experience at roughly 20k hp buffed a benchmark of survivability is reached that makes everything a lot easier.

Those benchmarks are what really matters in my opinion beyond simply maxing certain key numbers on damage, once you reached a gear level that makes you a threat damage wise any gain in survivability will out-weight any further damage gains in the long run and from a group perspective.

(This btw is why I consider the nerf to healing taken in 1.3 the single most severe nerf in the long history of operative nerfs.)

What I aim for is a a furher reduction on accuracy for a roughly 1.5% increase on the crit multiplier, and a slight increase on exp (I still use some BH mods).

Also in my opinion any reduction on crit for a again in surge is worthwhile as long as you stay above approx. 27.5% crit buffed. Due to the relic and adrenal changes in 1.3 damage spikes will be down to outright luck and getting crit streaks, increasing the probability of those by approx.2% will pale in comparison to a 2% surge increase when such a lucky streak happens. (Crit happens or not in pvp due to the short uptimes, a bit more or less crit is less dangerous that the increase on the random damage spikes).

Thanks guys - im no good at all this number crunching - I just want to play :)

We did discuss the whole power-vs-main stat in guild this week and the overall impression is (as posted above) to stack main over power.

Obviously the next question now turns to how much crit % should you aim for.

Thanks guys - im no good at all this number crunching - I just want to play :)

We did discuss the whole power-vs-main stat in guild this week and the overall impression is (as posted above) to stack main over power.

Obviously the next question now turns to how much crit % should you aim for.

Mind that for other ACs power is better since they lack the boost from 3/3 imperial education.