Microtransactions - how far is too far?

Achyllis

So we know microtransactions are simply a matter of time. What would you say to real money unlocks for Legacy based perks? Extra crafting crit and experience bonuses are examples.

These strike me as harmless examples of microtransactions at first glance.

Would this be a dealbreaker causing anyone to quit? If not where would you draw the line?

Personally performance enhancing (p2w) gear or BW selling in game credits for real money would be too far for me.

What say you? Let's help BW determine how far is too far.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd spend maybe $30 on transfers, $25 on namechanges, $20-$25 for new planets, maybe $15 on Legacy features, maybe $20 for facechanges/haircuts... I'd have to see what else they come up with before providing more estimates. :rod_grin_g:

So we know microtransactions are simply a matter of time. What would you say to real money unlocks for Legacy based perks? Extra crafting crit and experience bonuses are examples.

Would this be a dealbreaker causing anyone to quit? If not where would you draw the line?

Personally performance enhancing (p2w) gear or BW selling in game credits for real money would be too far for me.

paying for anything performance enhancing is de facto Pay to Win and an unforgivable SIN in my gaming - auto-unsubscribe for me.

I'd spend maybe $30 on transfers, $25 on namechanges, $20-$25 for new planets, maybe $15 on Legacy features, maybe $20 for facechanges/haircuts... I'd have to see what else they come up with before providing more estimates. :rod_grin_g:

And this my friends is why micro transactions work, there is always someone willing to pay through the nose.

paying for anything performance enhancing is de facto Pay to Win and an unforgivable SIN in my gaming - auto-unsubscribe for me.

If you think that buying experience boosts and such from an MT store is unforgivable, you are not long for the MMO world.

i can't say i would ever call $30 a micro transaction but ok

I have to believe their plan was to have microtransactions for the legacy perks - that's why the credit costs seem whacky. I think we'll see things in legacy cost like 1-2 million credits OR $1, eg.

Or at least that's what their original plan was. I feel like they've been adjusting to try to keep players hooked on alts until they add more content, so they at least delayed whatever microtransaction plans they had. But now it'll seem awkward to add them in for existing stuff, and is bound to put some people off. It's just like the F2P transition: how could they do that without driving away hardcore people that were paying and invested a lot of time in the game?

For any subscription based MMORG, "extra" stuff you can buy with real money should NEVER give any gameplay advantage. Not "extra crits" for crafting, armor or weapon boosts, or anything else of that nature. They should just be "fluff" or Cosmetic stuff like pets and mounts, or costume options, and such.

I have no interest whatsoever in any type of microtransactions. And would not use the feature. I still play D3 and have never bought a single item off the auction house. With gold or real money. I am esp against any concept which a player can buy with real money any type of gear to win or improve his char. D3 is not a MMO, so it is not as harmful as I will never play with those who have used that feature. Cosmetic or pets , mounts, etc, is ok for a MMO....but any other type of items than those it is bad for the gaming industry.

I would be fine with cosmetic things being microtransactions.

Legacy unlocks, speeders, maybe saber crystals, etc. However, I would also want to see anything available for microtransactions also available in-game in some way. For example, if there's a cool color crystal I really want, I can either pay $5 and have it immediately or wait for it to drop in a raid. But an MT shouldn't be the ONLY way to get it.

Also, items that effect stats should never be sold via microtransactions. That means no selling War Hero or Campaign gear for cash.If you want it, you work for it in-game just like everybody else. No shortcuts for being rich.

Of course, I'm also fine with Bioware charging for name changes and server transfers and the like.

Although I wouldn't use any MT's I'd be fine with whatever they'd want to do with it as long as I could get the same thing in-game without having to spend real money for it. Want to let the guy change his hair? Go ahead! Want to let him buy a speeder that costs 2 mil creds? Sure, why not? Do you want to sell him xp? I'm ok with that. I would even be ok with them selling raid/PVP gear....after all there's plenty of very bad players out there that got their stuff the "hard" way and still suck....selling gear for real money to an experience player would probably be less of a dent than that guy that got all his gear from being carried everywhere...

Now what I have a problem with is when they start selling stuff that are BETTER than what you can sweat for...it starts with speeders just a little faster...then it becomes gear with slightly better stats and it ends up with 1-hit-KO-super-swords :p

A matter of time? Seriously...you need to post some facts before making statements like that or just dont post at all.

These doomsday posts are getting ridiculous. This game is just fine and wont go into microtransactions in a long long while, so just give it a rest will you.

Although I wouldn't use any MT's I'd be fine with whatever they'd want to do with it as long as I could get the same thing in-game without having to spend real money for it. Want to let the guy change his hair? Go ahead! Want to let him buy a speeder that costs 2 mil creds? Sure, why not? Do you want to sell him xp? I'm ok with that. I would even be ok with them selling raid/PVP gear....after all there's plenty of very bad players out there that got their stuff the "hard" way and still suck....selling gear for real money to an experience player would probably be less of a dent than that guy that got all his gear from being carried everywhere...

Now what I have a problem with is when they start selling stuff that are BETTER than what you can sweat for...it starts with speeders just a little faster...then it becomes gear with slightly better stats and it ends up with 1-hit-KO-super-swords :p

That's pretty much the way I feel about the MT subject. I think that any item that can be gotten in game should also be available at a vendor in game and as a microtransaction, that way players have an option of how they want to get stuff:

You like Raiding and enjoy lots of it to get the ultra rare white/black core crystal through that method? Great, Raid to your heart's content.

You don't like doing repeatable content more than a couple of times, but enjoy exploring and completing all content at least once or twice and on an alt or two, then save up all those credits you earned by doing it to buy that crystal at a vendor.

You play casually and your available play time is too limited to make the first two options viable, then use the option to buy the crystal through a microtransaction.

BJ

Cosmetic items, vanity, mounts, pets, transfers, character re-customizations are all fine.

Anything that affects the game mechanics (out of combat or in-combat) isn't, in my opinion. So that would include crit crafting bonuses.

I would be severely disappointed if you had to pay for a new companion, or to open up new story content. But I'd probably end up paying through my teeth anyway even though I was very against paying for DLC like in Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

That's pretty much the way I feel about the MT subject. I think that any item that can be gotten in game should also be available at a vendor in game and as a microtransaction, that way players have an option of how they want to get stuff:

You like Raiding and enjoy lots of it to get the ultra rare white/black core crystal through that method? Great, Raid to your heart's content.

You don't like doing repeatable content more than a couple of times, but enjoy exploring and completing all content at least once or twice and on an alt or two, then save up all those credits you earned by doing it to buy that crystal at a vendor.

You play casually and your available play time is too limited to make the first two options viable, then use the option to buy the crystal through a microtransaction.

BJ

I think the problem many people have with this kind of MT's is the objectives they have when playing the game.

When I invest my time in grinding for gear, mounts, exp, titles, whatever I do it because when I look at what I got it gives me a sense of accomplishment and a job well done. The problem is that some people (and if this doesn't apply to any of you do realize I said SOME) do the same grinding as I do because they want OTHERS to see what they have accomplished.

The difference here is that while I am only concerned about what I've achieved, if somebody else got the exact same for 100€, that doesn't affect me at all. Now for the ones that want others to know how hard they worked, if anybody can buy everything, then their hard work is going to be lost in the sea of the ones that got exactly the same with no work involved (minus the work involved to earn the real money :p).

Now I'm not saying that my way or their way is the right way, just pointing out the possible reason for so many people being against MT's...

Edited by KorvusKaar

I think the problem many people have with this kind of MT's is the objectives they have when playing the game.

When I invest my time in grinding for gear, mounts, exp, titles, whatever I do it because when I look at what I got it gives me a sense of accomplishment and a job well done. The problem is that some people (and if this doesn't apply to any of you do realize I said SOME) do the same grinding as I do because they want OTHERS to see what they have accomplished.

The difference here is that while I am only concerned about what I've achieved, if somebody else got the exact same for 100€, that doesn't affect me at all. Now for the ones that want others to know how hard they worked, if anybody can buy everything, then their hard work is going to be lost in the sea of the ones that got exactly the same with no work involved (minus the work involved to earn the real money :p).

Now I'm not saying that my way or their way is the right way, just pointing out the possible reason for so many people being against MT's...

Oh yeah - no surprise there. The e-peen factor aka "I have a low self-worth so I need to get validation for my existence through my meaningless virtual achievements in a game." Been dealing with that for many, many years. To each their own, but ultimately I think the more options thing tends to be the one that appeals to the widest possible audience, thus will yield the largest potential profit.

BJ